Portsmouth West Head Coaching Job

Westsider1993
JV Team

Re: Portsmouth West Head Coaching Job

Post by Westsider1993 »

Have any of you all heard what the winning lottery numbers are going to be? Sorry I could not resist. Guessing game...... I think I can agree with all that it is taking entirely too long and without a doubt is not helping West football in any way not having a leader right now. You can say this guy or that guy is keeping the weight program going, but those seniors are being affected the most not having their coach around. I went through a coaching change and we compared the coach to the old coach. We were kids, couldn't help it. Good luck to all that applied. I just hope that whoever gets it has fire. You will not make it at West as a Head Coach without fire. West Football is and has always been known for hardnosed players. Players that will hit you and get after it. The kids want it, the community of football followers want it. The only people who don't are the ones on West's schedule....

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

sider wrote:I have heard shaffer will get the job from a few different people. I wouldn't be shocked, he's knowledgable, he's been a principal and a coach, knows the ins and outs of the school system, and more importantly the kids like him and trust him. The only knock on him is age but I could see him being here for at least 5 more years.
This would be the safe pick. I think he'd do a really good job. Honestly is he older or in worse shape than Lutz?

Strickly hearsay, but I was told before that coach T considered what amounted to a leave of absence. Possibly Shaffer getting the job and Trip help out when he could. Even possibly getting the head job back in a year or so. Is this a possibility?

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

sider wrote:I have heard shaffer will get the job from a few different people. I wouldn't be shocked, he's knowledgable, he's been a principal and a coach, knows the ins and outs of the school system, and more importantly the kids like him and trust him. The only knock on him is age but I could see him being here for at least 5 more years.

Are you talking about Bob Shaffer who was the principal at Minford for years?

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Bleeding Red wrote:

Are you talking about Bob Shaffer who was the principal at Minford for years?
yes

Buckeye24
Varsity

Post by Buckeye24 »

One of the players told me he's 80% sure Shaffer will get the job.

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

Why would the players know before the board has completed the interview process?

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

I hear an ex Waverly player was offered the job!
:122245

West Side Pride
All Conference

Post by West Side Pride »

Down to two applicants, shaffer and king. Board meeting Monday.

WE ARE ND
JV Team

Post by WE ARE ND »

I'd say Shaffer gets the job, but I dont know A lot about King.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Mark King?

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

[quote="Bo_Diaz"]I don't see Darren leaving Valley, but he has to do what is best for him and his family. Rolfe isn't going anywhere. His son will be an 8th grader and I would bet Scott is the front runner for the Valley Basketball Job.

Is the Valley basketball job open?

WE ARE ND
JV Team

Post by WE ARE ND »

Board meeting today?

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

Yes and I'm pretty sure Bob Shaffer will be announced head coach

WE ARE ND
JV Team

Post by WE ARE ND »

NICE

High Plains Drifter
Freshman Team

Post by High Plains Drifter »

^^^Wrong, wrong, WRONG....Inaccurate. Must not be in the Know. Everyone knows that Swords did'nt interveiw. It was King and Shaffer
as the leading two. Who's we?

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

Coach Swords did not get an interview, West wanted a someone who was a teacher and since Shaffer was already a full time tutor it made sense. However, do not think this was a cop out, Shaffer is very, very knowledgeable and a class act that has experience as a educator, principal, and head coach. I hope he stays a long time and I'm sure he will have a successful stay. I feel this was the right hire.

D Owens
Freshman Team

Post by D Owens »

West couldn't go wrong if Coach Shaffer and Mark King were their choices. Both are proven winners and both would have been an excellent fit at West. Congratulations to Coach Shaffer. I have had the opportunity to get to know Coach over the last few years and he is a person that I have great respect for. He will do a fantastic job at West.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

So is this 100% done?

If so, very happy with the descision. I think he'll do a great job.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

When Shaffer was the principal at Minford, I asked him my senior year why he didnt coach football anymore.

His response....."He liked his job too much". He told me the first kid that smarted off with him would probably lose his facemask because he would be tempted to rip it off.

Even though Shaffer was long out of coaching when I was in high school, I always liked him and he developed a very good rapport with the young men on our football team.

I think he will do just fine at West.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

I know several men and women that went to Minford while he was principal. They all like him.

From what I can tell, he's well liked at West also.

He should be able to get off to a good start. He knows what he's got material wise and he's familiar with the boys. Should have a great shot at the SOC II and a playoff run in Division 5.

7 on 7's should start in the near future shouldn't they?

Return to “Football”