Post by grndma1 »

Final Score:

Jackson- 34
Wellston- 13

ACCBiggz
JV Team

Re: Jackson @ Wellston 2012

Post by ACCBiggz »

Everyone can be overly optimistic homers if they want, but Wellston was utterly atrocious. Period.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Congrats to the Ironmen! I thought Jackson controlled the game completely while their 1st string was in the game, leading 34-0 before two late Wellston TDs. Sophomore QB, Derek Rafferty, was outstanding in his first varsity start. I believe he ran for 2 TDs and threw for 2 TDs as well. He seemed to have good command of the offense, and made good decisions with the football. Very accurate with most of his passes, and obviously he's a special player with the ball in his hands. Great games from Landrum, Griffiths, and McCorkle, and of course, the O-Line and TEs did a good job up front. Alec Osborne and Gabe Griffiths both had great runs after the catch for TDs in the passing game also. Gotta keep improving each week. If that happens, the offense has a lot of weapons. Also impressed by Sophomore Connor Staten who came in and played well on the O-line.

Defensively, Jackson played as I expected them to. Wellston got very little yardage against the 1st team, and when they did move the ball it was aided by some penalties that will be cleaned up easily. Jackson's D is fast, and very aggressive. They brought the intensity that was lacking in last week's scrimmage. The D-Line was getting some nice penetration and giving the bigger Wellston O-line enough problems to allow our linebackers to make plays. Reagan Williams was outstanding at ILB. Can't believe we have the privilege of watching him for three more seasons at Jackson.

Overall, there are still plenty of things to improve upon, but it's a solid win for Week 1. Time to get ready for an improved Waverly team next week.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

ACCBiggz wrote:Everyone can be overly optimistic homers if they want, but Wellston was utterly atrocious. Period.
Agreed, not very good! Poor discipline, poor execution, and poor fundamentals. Can only get better from here!

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

I'll be working on the stats sometime soon here, but there was a BUNCH of penalties and yardage both ways.

The pens used a lot of red ink, which I mark for penalties obviously, in the game tonight.

louie_15
Freshman Team

Post by louie_15 »

Pol Pot wrote:
ACCBiggz wrote:Everyone can be overly optimistic homers if they want, but Wellston was utterly atrocious. Period.
Agreed, not very good! Poor discipline, poor execution, and poor fundamentals. Can only get better from here!
I'm not going to disagree with you guys on your opinions about tonights game. But, it is the first game of the year with plenty more football to play with improvements to make during the week. I noticed that Dakota Brown did not play tonight. A receiver/safety thats a senior who was second leading tackler last year. I hope he returns soon. Last year the outcome of this game was just as bad or worse and the rockets bounced back with a win against a solid minford team. I think the coaching staff of wellston will straighten the mental mistakes out and have the rockets ready for Minford next week.

Return to “Football”