Week 5: Jackson (2-2) @ Wheelersburg (3-1)

fbnut
SEOP

Re: Week 5: Jackson (2-2) @ Wheelersburg (3-1)

Post by fbnut »

Scrimmages were always competitive and overall series is 9-5 burg. All that really doesn't mean much in this games but I think everything points to a very good ballgame Friday night.

Alderson_B-Fan
Riding the Bench

Post by Alderson_B-Fan »

I think it will be a close game as well. It will be like I stated last week, flip a coin. I do hope that this game is not nearly as sloppy as last week. Too many mental mistakes and penalties killed both teams last week.
The Ironmen need some passing maybe to McCorkle. That senior needs to be more involved on the offensive side of the ball. He's a good down hill running back and has hands. The D line has got to get penetration and rush the Q-back. I think we'll have our center back which will help alot. The bigs have got to start staying with their blocks and create holes without the holding. That kills us!
Lets Go Red we've still got a league title to defend. :aaaaa26

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

Sorry to see Jackson suffering so many injuries, I'd like to see how this one paned out with both teams full strength.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

fbnut wrote:Scrimmages were always competitive and overall series is 9-5 burg. All that really doesn't mean much in this games but I think everything points to a very good ballgame Friday night.
I have the overall series at 9-6 in favor of Wheelersburg, but there's clearly an outlier. The first meeting was in 1939, but then the two programs didn't play again until 1976-1989. When did Wheelersburg High School first start playing football? The 1939 game may have been between JHS and a Wheelersburg city team. Wheelersburg dominated the Ironmen in the mid to late 80s...a very tough time for Jackson football.

1989 - Wheelersburg 26, Jackson 13
1988 - Wheelersburg 49, Jackson 0
1987 - Wheelersburg 65, Jackson 6
1986 - Wheelersburg 42, Jackson 0
1985 - Wheelersburg 43, Jackson 0
1984 - Jackson 14, Wheelersburg 12
1983 - Jackson 28, Wheelersburg 16
1982 - Jackson 13, Wheelersburg 12
1981 - Wheelersburg 20, Jackson 13
1980 - Jackson 27, Wheelersburg 6
1979 - Wheelersburg 18, Jackson 7
1978 - Wheelersburg 27, Jackson 8
1977 - Jackson 15, Wheelersburg 14
1976 - Wheelersburg 21, Jackson 6
1939 - Jackson 19, Wheelersburg 0

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

A-Town Big Dog 2 wrote:Sorry to see Jackson suffering so many injuries, I'd like to see how this one paned out with both teams full strength.
I've been saying all along that Jackson is a young and inexperienced football team at some key spots. We're gonna see some even younger guys contribute on Friday night. Jackson is definitely banged up, but some of those guys never came out of the game against Athens despite the injuries. If there's any way that they can give it a go on Friday, they certainly will. The rest of the team will have to pick up the slack for those who have injuries or conditions that will definitely keep them on the sideline.

Definitely appreciate the concern, though, A-Town Big Dog 2. Good luck to your 'Dogs the rest of the way. Hope you guys go 9-1.

Ironmen32
JV Team

Post by Ironmen32 »

As we all keep stating it all comes down to how Jackson's O-Line plays, because our defense will be fine, I'm pretty sure Wheelersburg's offense is not as potent and balanced as Granville and Athens

I believe McCorkle, Rafferty, Griffiths, and Williams will step up to help loss of Morgan, and our Senior heavy O-Line will show up from play one, and smack the Wheelersburg D-Line in the mouth, all these kids are going to want to win this game for the Coach Halls, as well as themselves, because they have set their goals and plan on reaching them

I still expect a low scoring game, and I still have the edge with the Ironmen, expect the Halls to devise some ridiculous schemes and plays just for the Burg

I look for it to be a great game, great atmosphere, and a great night to play high school football, nothing better than that

GO BIG RED!!!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

ironman02 wrote:
fbnut wrote:Scrimmages were always competitive and overall series is 9-5 burg. All that really doesn't mean much in this games but I think everything points to a very good ballgame Friday night.
I have the overall series at 9-6 in favor of Wheelersburg, but there's clearly an outlier. The first meeting was in 1939, but then the two programs didn't play again until 1976-1989. When did Wheelersburg High School first start playing football? The 1939 game may have been between JHS and a Wheelersburg city team. Wheelersburg dominated the Ironmen in the mid to late 80s...a very tough time for Jackson football.

1989 - Wheelersburg 26, Jackson 13
1988 - Wheelersburg 49, Jackson 0
1987 - Wheelersburg 65, Jackson 6
1986 - Wheelersburg 42, Jackson 0
1985 - Wheelersburg 43, Jackson 0
1984 - Jackson 14, Wheelersburg 12
1983 - Jackson 28, Wheelersburg 16
1982 - Jackson 13, Wheelersburg 12
1981 - Wheelersburg 20, Jackson 13
1980 - Jackson 27, Wheelersburg 6
1979 - Wheelersburg 18, Jackson 7
1978 - Wheelersburg 27, Jackson 8
1977 - Jackson 15, Wheelersburg 14
1976 - Wheelersburg 21, Jackson 6
1939 - Jackson 19, Wheelersburg 0
If Jackson's QB can't go the backup QB's Dad played in those horrid 1988 and 1987 game....pretty good player he was.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

But some Dads of current players were successful against the Burg....right I44?

firecracker
Riding the Bench

Post by firecracker »

Blackstone era, many, many bad memories from this time frame!!!!

Alderson_B-Fan
Riding the Bench

Post by Alderson_B-Fan »

Center is definetly out friday and maybe beyond. SAD for that kid.

Charles Farquar
JV Team

Post by Charles Farquar »

Blackstone was head coach from 1987 up through the early 1990s. So those later wins would be his. Although his overall record may not be good, if you know anything about it , he has spent most of his career cleaning up the messes that the guy before him created. It took almost 5 years to clean up the mess of the mid 80s. He is not a guy that sees when the talent is going to be up and then applys for a job or sees that its going to be down and leaves. He won league titles, he had 8-2 seasons. You either like Larry or you dont. I personally like him. He doesnt mince words and some people dont like that. Right before Jackson was going to have that great run of talent in the mid 90s he could see it in the lower levels , whoever had those groups was in for one of the greatest runs Jackson would ever have regardless of who was coaching. He knew there would be one more tough year and things would be on the upswing by 1994 however before that happened he either left of his own accord or was not rehired. Now to the modern era I think that the people that are down on this current Jackson team need to realize something. This years team is facing the level of competition that Jackson teams have had to face in the past. Last year was unusal, I had never seen the areas team down like they were. Jackson was clearly above the level of competition they faced. The non league and the league teams they faced are not what this years Jackson team is facing. This years team is facing tougher competition and lost some playmakers like the Osborne kid, he was the type of kid that could do a lot if he had to on his own. The Jackson schedule is tougher this year, people need to realize that. I know a lot of guys on the Jackson staff and they are great guys and coaches, Im sure they are coaching their butts off and will have the team ready for Burg. Also people that are not around the players day in day out always have a lot of suggestions, THEY SHOULD DO THIS AND THAT, WHY ARE THEY NOT DOING MORE PASSING OR MORE OF THIS KIND OF RUNNING. I think Coach Hall would be if he was able, the staff knows what the kids are capable of. They know what they have a chance of executing and what they dont. How many two way starters does Jackson have? Why do you think that is? Usually because the drop off is too great when the next guy comes in. Dont you think any coach in his right mind would have the guys out there that need to be there? He wants to win and to do that the best will be on the field. Numbers of kids on a team are no indicator of how many actual football players you have on a squad either. When a team has success kids want to be part of that. Very few places have the luxury of playing two platoon football, unless your one of the big DI schools or Catholic schools with DI talent that keep their numbers down to play D4 AND 5 and recruit to win the lower divisions Just because a kid suits up doesnt mean he can play. Parents might differ in their opinion but thats a fact. Good JV players are not an indication either. Varsity and JV are completely different. In JV games you are going against the other teams worst players , in a Varsity game you are getting their best. The JV kids do not get much practice all week and more often or not it comes down to which team has decided to get some of their second string kids some playing time or which JV team is the weakest and worst that decides the outcome. Most JV guys practice more on the scout team all week then get reps on their own offense and defense in practice. I have seen JV players run rough shod over that kind of competition , only to s*** down their leg against bigger , better and older kids. in a Varsity game.

wink
JV Team

Post by wink »

Charles Farquar wrote:Numbers of kids on a team are no indicator of how many actual football players you have on a squad either.

LOL.. some of you people crack me up.

Ever heard the word "odds" Charlie?

You know, like the "odds" of finding a gold nugget in a ton of dirt are much greater than finding one in a pound of dirt..

Why do you think they have different divisions anyway ?

geeesh.

firecracker
Riding the Bench

Post by firecracker »

Charles, I don't think the JV players are the worst part of the team. Their calling just hasn't came yet.

playa_44
JV Team

Post by playa_44 »

I don't think JV's are the worst players either. Just a kid or two from playing varsity. I do agree that all the area teams were WAY down last year, with the exception of Jackson, Valley, West and maybe one other that I cannot think of. This year seems to be more 2 and 3 yr starters for alot of area teams. Also agree that the amount of kids out for football is no indicator of their athleticism. Odds are better. Columbus schools...All D1's, some are terrible year in and year out in football and great in another sport. Others are usually always a contender for league titles. The smaller schools take a blow when one player gets injured. The Pendleton kid comes to mind. Last year if Valley had Yates or Keller out then it would of changed their whole team mid season.

Charles Farquar
JV Team

Post by Charles Farquar »

Im not talking about divisions . numbers on a squad are not they are all cracked up to be. It doesnt matter if it is a division I or VI team you can have a large squad where the numbers of kids that contribute are small, You could have 50 kids out and only 5 or 6 be kids that can be competitive against other teams. Im also saying that just because a kid tears things up on the JV level does not mean he would be competitive against Varsity kids. Everybody has their opinions. I was saying a kid plays against the other teams JV team he is certainly not playing the best competition, so the results can sometimes be misleading. Everyone has their own opinion that is mine. Oh also just so we understand things , Im not attacking any kids personally, its not a judgement about their value as a human being, they are young and not ready to play or just do not have the physical attributes to be competitive at the varsity level. So hence not the best competition the other team could field. My opinion was kind of turned into a political commercial, you know parts taken and twisted to fit what someone else wanted. I wanted to make that clear.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Charles Farquar made several good points in my opinion. First, Larry Blackstone did improve the Jackson program. He struggled at first, but had seasons of 8-2, 6-4, and 8-2 near the end of his tenure, narrowly missing the playoffs (4 teams per region) in 1990 and 1992. Blackstone really did lay the framework for Coach Jim Reynolds to take over in 1993 because he improved Jackson's strength and conditioning program and really brought a physicality that was needed.

I do agree with him on the depth issue also. Yes, in general, it does help to have more players to choose from. However, that doesn't necessarily equal success. There are classes that may have big numbers overall, but very few actual contributors. Sometimes you'll see a loaded class, and sometimes there may be one with very few guys who actually develop and have success at the varsity level. It just depends. It's more about building a winning culture that will attract the best athletes, and then also having the staff to develop those players. Jackson has done a good job of that for as long as I can remember. Every program has ups and downs, but Jackson has had only 2 losing seasons (4-6) since 1990, while winning 8 games or more 13 times during that span.

Finally, Jackson has definitely played a difficult schedule, at least the last two weeks, and that will continue tomorrow night. Granville may be better than any team in this area, and honestly, they're one of the better D3 teams in the entire state. They're in a very tough region, but I think they could win a game or two in the playoffs, despite the stacked competition. Athens has one of the best, if not THE best, offenses in SE Ohio and their defense has improved dramatically since the first couple weeks. I look for them to go 8-2 or 9-1. Anyway, the Ironmen have lost a couple close games to very talented football teams, some of that without key players or with players playing injured. They've played hard and given their best effort...it wasn't quite enough and Granville and Athens deserve the credit for that.

Hopefully tomorrow night, Jackson can get some guys to step up, play well as a team, and get a win in Wheelersburg. There's no doubt in my mind that the Pirates will be ready, but I have a feeling that Coach Hall will have his guys fired up as well. If the Ironmen want to have any shot at the playoffs, they have to win tomorrow. It's Apple Festival week in Jackson, but I hope our community realizes the importance of this game and brings a big crowd down to the Burg to support this team. This is a VERY important game, so let's show the Ironmen how much we care.

SPAMONY
Varsity

Post by SPAMONY »

Burg by a late score

ohiostbucks99
Freshman Team

Post by ohiostbucks99 »

going to be a great night for the burg

Neutron Man
All State

Post by Neutron Man »

This has to be the Game of the Week!

adolf oliver busch
Waterboy

Post by adolf oliver busch »

Jackson will win by 55.

Return to “Football”