Week 8: Minford (7-0, 2-0) @ Wheelersburg (6-1, 2-0)

nutronron2012
All State

Week 8: Minford (7-0, 2-0) @ Wheelersburg (6-1, 2-0)

Post by nutronron2012 »

Ok. Here we go. Lets hear it. Thoughts?
Last edited by nutronron2012 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Re: Week 8: Minford (7-0, 2-0) @ Wheelersburg (6-1, 2-0)

Post by Bleeding Red »

I think for Minford to win this game they have to find out a way to not give up big plays and force Miller into hurrying his throws without letting him scramble out of the backfield for big gains.

Burg is a very dynamic team on offense. Minford's passing game has looked sharp the past few weeks and I think they will too be very balanced.

Minford needs success in the air as well as the inside traps and buck/jet sweeps. They need to get their playmakers in open space on a one on one situation.

This game could be like 2009 when it came down to the final seconds.

Minford is the underdog, but make no mistake about it they can win this game.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

I think the best thing for Minford to do is establish the run game, and keep the Burg offense off the field as much as possible. If they do that, they can hang around.

Endzone_Warrior
Varsity

Post by Endzone_Warrior »

No doubt that this game will be hyped up and the newly renovated Ed Miller Stadium be packed, but I am going to say Wheelersburg by 2 TD’s. After watching them both play, Burg is by far the more superior team here. They fly to the ball on defense and come at you from all angles on offense, with a great athlete at QB and a nice supporting cast. I seen them straight take it to a good Jackson team a few weeks back. Minford on the other hand has a few good athletes who can make some plays in the open field when given the chance, but the QB play is where I think the problem will be. Yeah, the passing game has looked ok the past few weeks against the two worst secondary’s around, but what they are facing this week is nowhere close in comparison. This week they are about to face one of the best defenses in southern ohio and if not the best secondary. I wish them luck on this difficult task, but just don’t think there will be enough magic in the air to pull of the win at Burg, which is a difficult task to do in it self :122245
Last edited by Endzone_Warrior on Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

Birds aint got nothin for Eddie and the Pirates . Burg big .

mglight88
SE

Post by mglight88 »

I would really like to see my Falcons come out of the gate and win this game. The Pirates are playing good ball right now but so is Minford.

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

chicken_coop wrote:I think the best thing for Minford to do is establish the run game, and keep the Burg offense off the field as much as possible. If they do that, they can hang around.
I agree. If Minford can't control the ball and the clock by getting first downs and going on long drives to keep Burgs offense off the field, Minford will be in for a very long night. Minford will have to limit possessions and contain Mr. Miller to keep this game close and have a chance.

Endzone_Warrior
Varsity

Post by Endzone_Warrior »

nutronron2012 wrote:
chicken_coop wrote:I think the best thing for Minford to do is establish the run game, and keep the Burg offense off the field as much as possible. If they do that, they can hang around.
I agree. If Minford can't control the ball and the clock by getting first downs and going on long drives to keep Burgs offense off the field, Minford will be in for a very long night. Minford will have to limit possessions and contain Mr. Miller to keep this game close and have a chance.
I think you will both agree that this is easier said than done

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

Endzone_Warrior wrote:
nutronron2012 wrote:
Yes. I agree with that also. I'm sure that is every teams recipe. But no one has accomplished it yet. I believe you are absolutely right. "Easier said than done".

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Endzone_Warrior wrote:
nutronron2012 wrote:
Obviously it is...but if the kids hit the assignments and play fundamental, it's VERY possible.

FarAwayFalcon
Varsity

Post by FarAwayFalcon »

Big game for SOC II standings and playoff points. Winner of this game has the inside track to the gold football, and can almost lock up a home playoff game, IMO.

Very important for my Falcons to win 1st down on both sides of the ball. Zero and negative yardage plays on offense put you into a bad spot early. Also they need to contain Wheelersburgs offense on 1st down, that will go a long way in helping the D be able to make stops.

Anonymous_Falcon_Fan
Freshman Team

Post by Anonymous_Falcon_Fan »

LMAO!!! Pretty funny that it's mostly Valley fans posting on a Minford topic thus far. Anyway, I do agree that this will be a monumental challenge for the Falcons to walk out of the new house that Ed Miller built and still be unbeaten. Coach Daniels has already been in this same exact situation twice before, but hopefully the third time is the charm. They obviously know that The 'Burg's defense will key on all of Minford's offensive running strengths and take all that away. That's where the passing game MUST come into play, most importantly down-field passing. IMO, coaches must mix up the play-calling the entire night in order to keep 'Burg's defense off-balance. As for 'Burg, their spread offense is very impressive, as I saw against Ironton, and it sounds as if it's only gotten better.

The team needs to have a very intense week of practice, stay in tip-top shape, and be jacked up for this game. This is another chance for our program to gain even more respect, but it will take winning a game of this magnitude. GOOD LUCK FALCONS!!!!

BurgPunk
Riding the Bench

Post by BurgPunk »

This hype reminds me exactly of 2010...Minford great record against easier non-conference and Burg with loss early but hitting stride. Do not think history will totally repeat itself (30 points) but Burg should get a home victory. Saw Falcons vs. West and they seemed little sluggish and slow. Maybe it was just a bad game for them?? I believe the conference should be really good next couple years. Almost all Burg's boys back, Minford, Valley young and competitive, and I am sure West will make improvements. Good luck to all SOC teams come playoff time!

Axe N Shield
Varsity

Post by Axe N Shield »

I went to Minford for three years in high school, played for Morris Gullion and Jeff Berry while I was there! My son played Pee-Wee and Jr. High when we lived there! My heart is definetly with the Mighty Minford Falcons on this one!

BUT... my nephew plays for Burg! Combined with the explosive offense and the swarming defense of Wheelersburg! My heart says Falcons but, my mind says Burg!

WHEELERSBURG 21 - MINFORD 7

Piratefan2
Varsity

Post by Piratefan2 »

if minford stays in the game all four quarters then it will be a close game with BURG on top by just a few points. if minford falls behind by a couple tds the first half and dont keep their minds and heart into the game, i see BURG winning by 28+ points! GO BURG!!!!

pbuck
All State

Post by pbuck »

JMO but I think the Burg ends Minford's perfect season

Stu Pedasso
Waterboy

Post by Stu Pedasso »

Endzone_Warrior wrote:No doubt that this game will be hyped up and the newly renovated Ed Miller Stadium be packed, but I am going to say Wheelersburg by 2 TD’s. After watching them both play, Burg is by far the more superior team here. They fly to the ball on defense and come at you from all angles on offense, with a great athlete at QB and a nice supporting cast. I seen them straight take it to a good Jackson team a few weeks back. Minford on the other hand has a few good athletes who can make some plays in the open field when given the chance, but the QB play is where I think the problem will be. Yeah, the passing game has looked ok the past few weeks against the two worst secondary’s around, but what they are facing this week is nowhere close in comparison. This week they are about to face one of the best defenses in southern ohio and if not the best secondary. I wish them luck on this difficult task, but just don’t think there will be enough magic in the air to pull of the win at Burg, which is a difficult task to do in it self :122245
Wheelersburg gave up 407 yds defensevly against Waverly and two TDs via passing . ??????? Is Waverly that good @ 1-6 ???????? just currious. I know Minford has a target on their back being 7-0, just like Valley , & IMHO if they do not fall prey to " Burg-itis" (over-hyping) the game I feel alot of people may be suprised, I hope they take week 8 for what it is, not the pinnacle of the season. Good luck to both teams and hoping for an injury free game

soc fan
Waterboy

Post by soc fan »

for minford to win it needs to start with the O-line go right at burgs smaller D-line, if minford runs to right or left the
burgs d-line will cut the legs of the minford o-line to let the backers run the play down. the line play will be key.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

Should be a good game, two playoff teams playing in a tense atmosphere. Minford is very athletic and matches up pretty well with with Burg. Burg has a few more game breakers though and that will be the difference. Probably be close going into half, then Burg will pull it out by a few touchdowns.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Stu Pedasso wrote:
Endzone_Warrior wrote:No doubt that this game will be hyped up and the newly renovated Ed Miller Stadium be packed, but I am going to say Wheelersburg by 2 TD’s. After watching them both play, Burg is by far the more superior team here. They fly to the ball on defense and come at you from all angles on offense, with a great athlete at QB and a nice supporting cast. I seen them straight take it to a good Jackson team a few weeks back. Minford on the other hand has a few good athletes who can make some plays in the open field when given the chance, but the QB play is where I think the problem will be. Yeah, the passing game has looked ok the past few weeks against the two worst secondary’s around, but what they are facing this week is nowhere close in comparison. This week they are about to face one of the best defenses in southern ohio and if not the best secondary. I wish them luck on this difficult task, but just don’t think there will be enough magic in the air to pull of the win at Burg, which is a difficult task to do in it self :122245
Wheelersburg gave up 407 yds defensevly against Waverly and two TDs via passing . ??????? Is Waverly that good @ 1-6 ???????? just currious. I know Minford has a target on their back being 7-0, just like Valley , & IMHO if they do not fall prey to " Burg-itis" (over-hyping) the game I feel alot of people may be suprised, I hope they take week 8 for what it is, not the pinnacle of the season. Good luck to both teams and hoping for an injury free game
the same thing happen last yr. waverly came in 1-5 and gave burg a good game losing 34-14. they are better than their record shows

Return to “Football”