South Point
4%

Total votes: 104

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOP HOF

Re: 2017 OVC Preview/Predictions

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:57 am

and blue devils as well

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS

Omega
Varsity Starter

Post by Omega » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:05 am

Until proven otherwise, Ironton is the championship favorite. They are not the Tigers of yore, but they are undefeated in their first two years of conference play. The reconfigured OVC though has a chance to be the most competitively balanced conference in southern Ohio.
Get Off of My Lawn -- and Yes It is Too Loud !!!!

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOP HOF

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:27 am

I agree omega. would love to see a very strong ovc depth wise, and the soc picking it up overall as well. so we can all start making some playoff runs.
IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS

purpleblood1
Freshman Starter

Post by purpleblood1 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:28 pm

Chesapeake will be even better in the backfield this coming year, as always the line will be a question mark along with the defense. I think if the kids hit the weight room they will be contending again. The kids need to work harder in the weight room. The top teams will be Chesapeake, Portsmouth & Ironton along with Rock Hill, Coal Grove, and Fairland.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOP HOF

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:42 am

good luck to yer purple panthers blood.

Native Blood
Freshman Starter

Post by Native Blood » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:47 pm

I really think Rock hill will surprise everyone this year.
It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand! (Geronimo)

LetsGoPSU
2nd Team All State

Post by LetsGoPSU » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:47 am

they took the Trojans to the limit, honestly probably should have won that game

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOP HOF

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:41 pm

hopefully the whole league is deeper this year.

trojandave
All State
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--3rd All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:17 pm

Portsmouth has a lot of questions that need to be answered in 2017......who will be the QB?.......who will be the go to WR?.......will the defense finally be good enough to hold opponents to under 30 PPG?.......will PHS find a placekicker and punter?.........can the Trojans beat more than one team with a winning record?........can having only 4 home games affect the Trojans' overall record?......will the participation numbers continue to improve?

Many questions, with no certain answers. The main focus for Portsmouth football should be the defense, which is the unit most responsible for the decade long demise of this program. The defense has to improve dramatically for Portsmouth football to take a major step forward.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOP HOF

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:47 pm

looking forward to some more tigers/Trojans matchups dave for all the marbles.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:53 pm

Weekly schedule updated

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOP HOF

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:28 am

awesome.

Tribe nation
Waterboy

Post by Tribe nation » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:39 pm

RH might surprise a few people this year

IBTT
Varsity Backup

Post by IBTT » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:43 pm

Looking at the OVC, myself, I would have to think Ironton would be a huge favorite against the rest of the league this year with the talent level they have coming back and the experience these kids got last season. Ironton's strength program is the best it's been in years along with finally having experience to back up most all positions.

That being said, I would have to say although last season wasn't very good to this team, Fairland to me looks like a very talented group of kids that didn't lose much and came on strong at the end of the year. If they continue to improve their offense and don't drop off defensively, they would look to be #2 in my opinion.

#3 could come down to 3 teams.

Portsmouth- with Parker on the field, anyone who ever saw his daddy play knows the talent in his genetics. If they can put together a defense and a couple kids step up on offense they could be competitive.

Chesapeake- one of the top backfields in the OVC this year. Give these kids a line and if they can put together a defense, they could be back into the playoffs.

Rock Hill- a lot of people are relying on the new coach. Good coaches give their players opportunities to win. This works if there is enough talent to compete on the level. It might be a couple of years before even he can give this bunch that opportunity. The seniors leaving this year along with imo the best player on the team transferring out. Might be a tough couple of years, at least the seats will be filled all year with having one of the areas top coaches on the sidelines.

Coal Grove, South Point and Galia will be fighting for respect as will the previous three teams this year. However, Coal Grove graduated most of their team last year. Gallipolis is still trying to get their bearings. South Point is trying
to restart their program.

If any of the five bottom teams get more than four OVC wins I would be shocked.

My guess: OVC 2017
1 - Ironton 7-0
2 - Fairland 5-2
2 - Portsmouth 5-2
4 - Chesapeake 4-3
5 - Rock Hill 3-4
6 - Gallipolis 2-5
6 - Coal Grove 2-5
8 - South Point 0-7

OVC
Bench

Post by OVC » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:40 pm

From what I'm being told, Coal Grove will be towards the bottom of the barrel with no sign up... Pathetic what's going on down there.
Believe in the TRIBE

IBTT
Varsity Backup

Post by IBTT » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:12 am

OVC wrote:From what I'm being told, Coal Grove will be towards the bottom of the barrel with no sign up... Pathetic what's going on down there.
I have to agree, good guy at the coaching position. He is their best man for the job. When the decision was made to make him the man, they should have gave him a chance to build up the program his way.

SportFan08
Bench

Post by SportFan08 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:22 am

IBTT wrote:
OVC wrote:From what I'm being told, Coal Grove will be towards the bottom of the barrel with no sign up... Pathetic what's going on down there.
I have to agree, good guy at the coaching position. He is their best man for the job. When the decision was made to make him the man, they should have gave him a chance to build up the program his way.
Wait a minute... Kidd chose not to coach. I don't care what anyone says, that BOE hired him the past two years and for some to say he didn't have support or give him a chance is a lie.

OVC
Bench

Post by OVC » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:05 am

SportFan08 wrote:
IBTT wrote:
Wait a minute... Kidd chose not to coach. I don't care what anyone says, that BOE hired him the past two years and for some to say he didn't have support or give him a chance is a lie.
I'm not sure what's going on. I've heard from a friend from CG there's a "plan in place" to where he won't be coaching. Also, remember he was let go and brought back last year by the BOE, and he was their second choice last year. The AD never fought for him, superintendent never had his back. So did he have support? From the kids and community, yes. From an administrational standpoint, no.
Believe in the TRIBE

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOP HOF

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:55 am

what's going on there, are the kids not coming out. that would be a shame and an certain black eye.and if they do not field a team, every team in the ovc now has an open date.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOP HOF

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:56 am

wow I had no idea. I'm glad I grew up in a different time and bob lutz shielded us from this stuff by not allowing it to ever start or fester.

IBTT
Varsity Backup

Post by IBTT » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:38 am

Very true Bait. I was told by a pretty good source Kidd pretty much knew he wasn't going to be asked to return and they already had a plan in place. He continued to work out the players as though he was going to be coaching them and let them know he wouldn't stop working with them until he was told one way or another. He is truly a good Christian man. I was fortunate to get to know him while working beside him a few years back. He knows the game well and has a big heart for the kids. It's a real mess. I hope it get straightened out. Too many good athletes in that school year after year to not provide a strong program for them. Looks like for now, even though many transferred out a couple of years ago, many more are ready to follow. Sad

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOP HOF

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:27 am

I HOPE THEY GET THIS SOLIDIFIED.

Docw
Bench

Post by Docw » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:53 pm

IBTT, your source is incorrect. Coach Kidd had the support of administration and the board. For whatever reason, he chose not to reapply.

SportFan08
Bench

Post by SportFan08 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:15 pm

Docw wrote:IBTT, your source is incorrect. Coach Kidd had the support of administration and the board. For whatever reason, he chose not to reapply.
That's right. Last year, athletic director, principal, and school superintendent recommended Kidd and the board voted 3-2 against. Next meeting, the same reccomended Lucas and that failed 3-2 vote. Went back to hire Kidd. That school board are FOOLS! They have no idea what they are doing and the kids are suffering from their poor decisions.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOP HOF

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:01 pm

where are the previews this year and the date, anybody heard yet.

OVCfanatic
Bench

Post by OVCfanatic » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:30 am

ravensfan9 wrote:OVCfanatic....WOW! You put RH and CG above Fairland and Chesy? Chesapeake has quite a bit coming back...second best stable of backs outside of Ironton with Wilcoxen, Fletcher, and company. I believe several linemen return as well. Fairland came on strong at the end of the year and basically returns everybody...Fisher and Cunningham will be tough again next season. I think your top 2 and bottom 2 are dead on.

I said middle of the pack could be anyone.

Game day
Varsity Backup

Post by Game day » Tue May 02, 2017 8:33 am

With everything going on in the league with coaches I can't see why Ironton wouldn't walk away with the OVC again this year.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOP HOF

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT » Wed May 03, 2017 6:25 am

let's hope the fighting tigers are not thinking that way. and not underestimate anyone.

knightruner
JV Backup

Post by knightruner » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:08 pm

Where is the preview schedule for the ovc?

Cats81
Waterboy

Post by Cats81 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:25 pm

At Portsmouth on 8-12

trojandave
All State
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--3rd All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:54 am

Now that Portsmouth has dropped Wheelersburg from the schedule, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Trojans go no worse than 8-2 and land a playoff berth. The OVC title could come down to the last game of the season when PHS visits Tank Stadium to battle Ironton.

I rarely show optimism for the football program, given the 30-60 record the past 9 years (with no playoffs), but going 6-4 last season, with some impact transfers at the skill positions coming in, and with some quality players already in house, I think the Trojans just might have the best offense in the OVC. Giving up just 1 TD less this year on defense (25 PPG as opposed to 32 PPG last season) will almost guarantee no worse than an 8-2 record. Of course avoiding key injuries is always a concern when predicting a team's record.

GO TROJANS!!!

Game day
Varsity Backup

Post by Game day » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:55 am

I read in the paper that there would not be any coaches passes for the preview. That is sad, I can't believe we cannot support these coaches that put in way more hours than they get paid. Stand up OVC supports and request that this small think needs to be changed.

osumufan
2nd Team All State

Post by osumufan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:22 pm

What? Coaches have to pay to get in? Do you mean coaches of other sports?

Game day
Varsity Backup

Post by Game day » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:26 am

No I mean football coaches from other schools outside the OVC. I have never went to any other school where coaches were not allowed to get in free if they had the proper pass.

wipala
JV Starter

Post by wipala » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:16 pm

trojandave wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:54 am
Now that Portsmouth has dropped Wheelersburg from the schedule, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Trojans go no worse than 8-2 and land a playoff berth. The OVC title could come down to the last game of the season when PHS visits Tank Stadium to battle Ironton.

I rarely show optimism for the football program, given the 30-60 record the past 9 years (with no playoffs), but going 6-4 last season, with some impact transfers at the skill positions coming in, and with some quality players already in house, I think the Trojans just might have the best offense in the OVC. Giving up just 1 TD less this year on defense (25 PPG as opposed to 32 PPG last season) will almost guarantee no worse than an 8-2 record. Of course avoiding key injuries is always a concern when predicting a team's record.

GO TROJANS!!!
PHS and the numbers 8-2 do not go together. IMO. The Trojans will do well to make 500, this would be a successful season for this program. It would be awesome for PHS to go 8-2! Kickoff in couple weeks, let the games begin.