Portsmouth Trojan's Next Head Football Coach

Kentucky Trojan
SE

Portsmouth Trojan's Next Head Football Coach

Post by Kentucky Trojan »

Who are the applicants?

Why has nobody begun a thread about this?

Unbelievable!

55buckeyes98
All Conference

Re: Portsmouth Trojan's Next Head Football Coach

Post by 55buckeyes98 »

My best bet is that Coach Newsome will get the job! Best of luck to Portsmouth next season!

shoelace
JV Team

Post by shoelace »

Wade Bartholomew from Huntington Ross would be an awesome fit

CharlieHustle
All Conference

Post by CharlieHustle »

This discussion was apart of the "BYE BYE Clifford" thread, until it was deleted :(

But as I've said many times, I pray they hire outside the current staff.
The current staff members who want the head job are: Aaron Duncan, Chad Hammond, and Ted Newsome. If Portsmouth were forced to hire within the system, Aaron Duncan should without a doubt get the job.

People from the outside who want the job: Greg Estep, Bob Manchester (supposedly), and some asst coach from East. I am not sure of the others. Everybody wants Greg Estep, just getting him here is the biggest obstacle.

Kentucky Trojan
SE

scarlet_gray wrote:Everybody wants Greg Estep, just getting him here is the biggest obstacle.
Everybody?

Not everybody.

:mrgreen:

Kentucky Trojan
SE

55Buckeyes98 wrote:My best bet is that Coach Newsome will get the job! Best of luck to Portsmouth next season!
Yes, sir!

Kentucky Trojan
SE

Shoelace wrote:Wade Bartholomew from Huntington Ross would be an awesome fit
Huntington Local hates when they are called Huntington Ross.

mulligan
Waterboy

Post by mulligan »

Hey guys, Hello from Wynford. I came on this website to look at the Valley vs. Wynford playoff thread and stumbled across this thread. I was wondering if any of you remember coach Steve Stohla from the latter 1980's. He left Wynford after sucessfully building a winning program and coached at Portsmouth for a few years. Could any of you tell me anything about his time there at Portsmouth and how he faired?

thanks

Runner00
JV Team

Post by Runner00 »

Will Coach Matiz from Minford(Defensive Coordinator) apply? Isn't he orginally from Portsmouth, or am I mistaken?

Kentucky Trojan
SE

mulligan wrote:Hey guys, Hello from Wynford. I came on this website to look at the Valley vs. Wynford playoff thread and stumbled across this thread. I was wondering if any of you remember coach Steve Stohla from the latter 1980's. He left Wynford after sucessfully building a winning program and coached at Portsmouth for a few years. Could any of you tell me anything about his time there at Portsmouth and how he faired?

thanks
http://web.archive.org/web/200605201943 ... to1989.htm

1986 4-6-0 Stohla

Portsmouth 14 Hillsboro 6
Portsmouth 26 Washington CH 14
Portsmouth 0 Ironton 27
Portsmouth 6 Russell,KY 0
Portsmouth 0 Greenup 12
Portsmouth 17 Ashland,KY 13
Portsmouth 9 Zanesville 10
Portsmouth 22 Boyd County,KY 49
Portsmouth 0 Cincinnati Purcell 42
Portsmouth 0 Portsmouth West 14

1987 4-6-0 Stohla

Portsmouth 7 Washington CH 19
Portsmouth 19 Wheelersburg 15
Portsmouth 6 Russell,KY 8
Portsmouth 28 Greenup,KY 6
Portsmouth 21 Ashland,KY 0
Portsmouth 7 Ironton 24
Portsmouth 13 Boyd County,Ky 15
Portsmouth 6 Cincinnati Purcell Marion 23
Portsmouth 14 Portsmouth West 7
Portsmouth 7 Miami Trace 8

1988 7-4-0 Stohla

Portsmouth 27 Washington CH 18
Portsmouth 22 Greenup,KY 0
Portsmouth 6 Wheelersburg 7
Portsmouth 20 Russell,KY 17
Portsmouth 30 Ashland,KY 23
Portsmouth 6 Ironton 18
Portsmouth 12 Boyd County,KY 6
Portsmouth 18 Ashland, OH 6
Portsmouth 6 Portsmouth West 35
Portsmouth 6 Miami Trace 0
Portsmouth 7 Cincinnati Harrison 36 * Playoff Game

Kentucky Trojan
SE

Runner00 wrote:Will Coach Matiz from Minford(Defensive Coordinator) apply? Isn't he orginally from Portsmouth, or am I mistaken?
He graduated from PHS in the late 1980's.

fightingtigers45
S

Post by fightingtigers45 »

Excuse my ignorance, but who is Greg Estep? Where is he currently coaching?

Kentucky Trojan
SE

fightingtigers45 wrote:Excuse my ignorance, but who is Greg Estep? Where is he currently coaching?
We accept ignorance coming from Ironton. :mrgreen: j/k

http://www.ncaknights.com/2012/05/04/nc ... all-coach/

New Northside Christian Academy football coach, Greg Estep, has big plans to rebuild the Knight’s football program.

Estep will join the faculty of NCA for the 2012-2013 school year. During his initial year he will lay the foundation, build relationships with students, and prepare to launch an elite football program in the 2013 fall season.

Estep brings an abundance of coaching experience to the field. He worked with the San Diego Padres AA team as a Strength and Conditioning Coach for two years in Mobile, Alabama. From there, he took his talents to Charlotte Christian School where he was the Assistant JV Baseball Coach and Assistant Football Coach/Quarterbacks Coach from 2007-2009. While at Charlotte Christian, he helped lead the team to three straight State Championships, winning the title in 2008.

For the last two years, Estep has held the role of Head Football Coach/Director of Strength and Conditioning at Westminster Academy in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. As head coach at Westminster, Estep guided the team as they overcame a great deal of adversity. In the years before he took the reins, the team was 0-16 and many players were feeling discouraged. But with hard work, commitment, and determination, Estep and his team had successful winning seasons and a renewed passion for the game. Offensively they were ranked in the Top 5 both years in Broward County and set numerous single season records. This past season, Estep was proud to produce the school’s first Division I football player in 20 years. With Estep as head coach, much was accomplished in a short period of time.

We are thrilled to welcome Greg Estep and his family back to North Carolina and into the Northside Christian Academy Family.

galliagrad89
Freshman Team

Post by galliagrad89 »

Kentucky Trojan wrote:
fightingtigers45 wrote:Excuse my ignorance, but who is Greg Estep? Where is he currently coaching?
We accept ignorance coming from Ironton. :mrgreen: j/k

http://www.ncaknights.com/2012/05/04/nc ... all-coach/

New Northside Christian Academy football coach, Greg Estep, has big plans to rebuild the Knight’s football program.

Estep will join the faculty of NCA for the 2012-2013 school year. During his initial year he will lay the foundation, build relationships with students, and prepare to launch an elite football program in the 2013 fall season.

Estep brings an abundance of coaching experience to the field. He worked with the San Diego Padres AA team as a Strength and Conditioning Coach for two years in Mobile, Alabama. From there, he took his talents to Charlotte Christian School where he was the Assistant JV Baseball Coach and Assistant Football Coach/Quarterbacks Coach from 2007-2009. While at Charlotte Christian, he helped lead the team to three straight State Championships, winning the title in 2008.

For the last two years, Estep has held the role of Head Football Coach/Director of Strength and Conditioning at Westminster Academy in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. As head coach at Westminster, Estep guided the team as they overcame a great deal of adversity. In the years before he took the reins, the team was 0-16 and many players were feeling discouraged. But with hard work, commitment, and determination, Estep and his team had successful winning seasons and a renewed passion for the game. Offensively they were ranked in the Top 5 both years in Broward County and set numerous single season records. This past season, Estep was proud to produce the school’s first Division I football player in 20 years. With Estep as head coach, much was accomplished in a short period of time.

We are thrilled to welcome Greg Estep and his family back to North Carolina and into the Northside Christian Academy Family.
and why would he come to Portsmouth? Does he have family there or is he originally from there?

Kentucky Trojan
SE

GalliaGrad89 wrote:and why would he come to Portsmouth? Does he have family there or is he originally from there?
Played and grad at PHS in late 90's.

Family from here.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

No offense to those locally, But I feel we need to go "outside" the program......Rebuild from the bottom up so to speak

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Greg Estep was the QB in 1998 and 1999 although several games were missed in 1999 do to suffering a broken hand. If I remember correct he won all Ohio honors and took a baseball scholarship to EKU. His brother Mike Estep baseball coach at Burg, while his other brother Jon is the girls basketball coach at New Boston.

Everything that I have heard is Greg is interested but idk if he has yet submitted a application. I personally have yet to see an actuall listing for the position and I have checked ohsaa and department of education a little while back.

Kentucky Trojan
SE

Big hush over the names of likely applicants in case they are not chosen to hold the keys to the Trojan Coliseum...(well, when Ralph Applegate lets you have the keys)

...shhhhhhhhh

CharlieHustle
All Conference

Post by CharlieHustle »

Greg has forsure submitted his resumè.

Kentucky Trojan
SE

scarlet_gray wrote:Greg has forsure submitted his resumè.
There is a big difference between South Florida and Charlotte speed vs. Portsmouth speed.

It is tough for many coaches to make the adjustment to a slower moving game.

Return to “Football”