Varsity

Wellston head football coach job posted on OHSAA website

Post by hsfbfan »

thoughts anyone?

wrestlersdad6766
Freshman Team

Re: Wellston head football coach job posted on OHSAA website

Post by wrestlersdad6766 »

My understanding is, two people have already applied for the position. One is the already mentioned in another thread, Greg Phillips while the other is yet to be named?

hsfbfan
Varsity

Post by hsfbfan »

wrestlersdad6766 wrote:My understanding is, two people have already applied for the position. One is the already mentioned in another thread, Greg Phillips while the other is yet to be named?
IMO It'll be Phillips and the posting is just a formality.

Old*rocket
JV Team

Post by Old*rocket »

New coach isn't going to change anything..the program is a bust from jr high and up..

hsfbfan
Varsity

Post by hsfbfan »

old*rocket wrote:New coach isn't going to change anything..the program is a bust from jr high and up..
Maybe if a new coach comes in and takes full control and authority over the entire program including pee wee things might change. Just a thought.

wrestlersdad6766
Freshman Team

Post by wrestlersdad6766 »

old*rocket wrote:New coach isn't going to change anything..the program is a bust from jr high and up..
Actually a new coach could change things... A good program has a head coach that is willing to help the BOE select your Jr. High coaches as well as getting the younger kids excited to suit up and play the game.. Along with getting your younger kids in their system running there offense and there defense.. Leave 3rd-6th to learn the fundamentals of the game but your High School coach should still come and speak to them sometimes to create excitement and show them he does care.. When Wellston was having some of it's more successful years under Hinton and Blackstone they did exactly what I just said get the right coaches in and get the attitudes like you have out. Along with that is discipline and work ethic which was there in Hinton and Blackstones years as well as hitting the weight room... It is gonna take a long time to build this program back to it's more successful years of the early 2000's to 2006.. which included two state playoff trips and two conference championships... Wellston doesn't have the greatest history but history can start anytime so why not now.. with a fresh start it may take another 4 years but as long as consistency and improvement is shown I believe Wellston can eventually be a consistent contender.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

A great start would be getting rid of the Jr. High/Pee Wee guy, like I believe happened when Wellston had their last run of success.

Wellston Ironman
Freshman Team

Post by Wellston Ironman »

Well I guess the mommies got their way at the board meeting. That sure is sweet. BTW I am still waiting on them to come in to the store for a discounted combo meal and free cheesecake. They just helped insure enough chaos to keep Jackson winning for several more years. :lol:

Wellston Ironman
Freshman Team

The best thing about people from Wellston is they have Jackson on their license plates!

M0TIVAT0R
All Conference

Post by M0TIVAT0R »

What happened to Dutch? Did they run out of players due to all of them running head first through a brick wall for him or what?

cgqb5
Waterboy

Post by cgqb5 »

I here Larry Blackstone is coming to Wellston to be on staff if Hutch is brought back!
Where can you find a better staff than Hutch,Bethel,Blackstone,Briggs??
School Board and Administration needs to make this happen.....

Old*rocket
JV Team

Post by Old*rocket »

That's a good one.. Lol. Not going to happen. Like I said before a new coach isn't going to make a difference. The kids need to quit being hand picked just because mommy or daddy says so and the kids need to learn to play as a team not I'm the super star of the team that's all we need.. There's no I in team..

hsfbfan
Varsity

Post by hsfbfan »

old*rocket wrote:That's a good one.. Lol. Not going to happen. Like I said before a new coach isn't going to make a difference. The kids need to quit being hand picked just because mommy or daddy says so and the kids need to learn to play as a team not I'm the super star of the team that's all we need.. There's no I in team..
You don't think that whoever the new coach might be (Greg Phillips) hasn't already seen and heard all about the problems you have spoken of and has plans to change things?

louie_15
Freshman Team

Post by louie_15 »

Everyone is talking about Phillips being a top candidate,.. I can't even see why he or any other experienced coach would want this job. It's definitely the worst job in the state under the circumstances.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

Does anyone know if it's true that Wellston has only one paid assistant? If it is.........

Blue Duck
Freshman Team

Post by Blue Duck »

Fortdawg wrote:Does anyone know if it's true that Wellston has only one paid assistant? If it is.........
This is correct,.. head coach and one paid varsity assistant. D.C. and other assistants including JV coach was volunteers

hsfbfan
Varsity

Post by hsfbfan »

Guys don't be surprised if the new coach gets more paid assistants. With an all new staff too with maybe a couple from previous staff.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

I believe to be successful you need backing from the administration and community. One paid assistant isn't much support from the admin. and the community that allows them to short change the program and the kids.

I have volunteered before and there is nothing wrong with it but the Board (community) and administration are showing you how much of a priority they make of the program.

louie_15
Freshman Team

Post by louie_15 »

Fortdawg wrote:I believe to be successful you need backing from the administration and community. One paid assistant isn't much support from the admin. and the community that allows them to short change the program and the kids.

I have volunteered before and there is nothing wrong with it but the Board (community) and administration are showing you how much of a priority they make of the program.
I agree %100

Wellston Ironman
Freshman Team

Wellston Ironman wrote:The best thing about people from Wellston is they have Jackson on their license plates!

I just love this. Best wishes to Greg. One question. How can you hire a new coach and more assistants. Seems unfair to the old coach. The new guy should have to deal with the same handcuffs. :lol:

Return to “Football”