NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

With days of SEOAL numbered, Jackson looking for new league

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

http://www.thetelegramnews.com/main.asp ... leID=21969
11/14/2014 10:51:00 AM
With days of SEOAL numbered, Jackson looking for new league
SOC is best fit, says Superintendent

With the Southeastern Ohio Athletic League (SEOAL) crumbling around them, Jackson City Schools officials are looking for a new place for the district's athletic programs to call home.

It may be easier said than done, though, to find a new league that will accept Jackson without being a major strain on travel.

Superintendent Phil Howard, this week, broke the news to members of the Jackson City Board of Education of founding SEOAL member Gallia Academy's intentions to join the Ohio Valley Conference. Howard told The Telegram that while the Gallipolis City Board of Education has not yet formally approved the move, he believes it is merely a formality.

Currently a five-team league, the SEOAL will simply not be able to viably survive with three teams once Portsmouth bolts for the OVC next year and Gallipolis does the same in 2016.

That will leave Jackson, Logan, and Warren - and Howard believes those other two districts have good prospects for new league homes. "I think we're probably the odd man out. I don't know if there is any place for us to go," he said.

If Howard could hand-pick Jackson's destination, it would be the Southern Ohio Conference (SOC).

"I would still like to see us get into the SOC. I think that would be the best fit for us. Convincing them to let us in is another story."

Travel would be convenient as Jackson would primarily utilize State Route 32 and U.S. Route 23 to reach the SOC schools: Waverly, Lucasville Valley, Portsmouth West, Wheelersburg, and Minford.

The SOC turned down Jackson a few years ago. The Tri-Valley Conference did the same this year, but did so when the SEOAL schools applied to the league as a package deal.

When asking members of the board for guidance, Dr. Brian Morris suggested Jackson re-apply with the leagues from which it was previously rejected. Board President Randy Evans said his two major concerns when hunting for a new league is travel distance and safety

On that note, league possibilities for Jackson outside the SOC all come with either travel concerns, or would not be a good fit from a competition standpoint.

"I've been told that maybe the Ohio Valley Conference (OVC) would take us into the league, but that is going down State Route 93 all the time to Chesapeake, Coal Grove, Fairland, Rock Hill, and those schools," Howard said.

Another option mentioned was the South Central Ohio League (SCOL), but trips to schools like Miami Trace, Washington Courthouse, Wilmington, Clinton-Massie, and others would create a major strain - particularly through the school week.

The Scioto Valley Conference, which is comprised of smaller Chillicothe-area schools, would likely consider Jackson too big.

"Even if someone would take us, it may not necessarily be a good option for us. But I will tell you, not having a league is not a good option. There is a lot of pit-falls to not having a league," Howard stated.

If Jackson is unable to find a league, it would be forced to exist as an independent. That is not something Howard views as a good option, as it not only creates scheduling headaches, but it means student athletes would not have the opportunity to compete for league titles and individual honors.

The Southeastern Ohio Athletic League, of which Jackson is a founding member, was formed in 1925 in a hotel in Wellston - making it the oldest non-city league in all of Ohio.

After the meeting, Howard confirmed to The Telegram he would be "working the phones" this week in trying to find his district a new athletic home.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Re: With days of SEOAL numbered, Jackson looking for new lea

Post by Poo Bear »

Come on SOC , give jackson a chance .

lineman7
All Conference

Post by lineman7 »

Jackson is a huge school and would dwarf any of the larger SOC schools right now... I could be wrong about that but I don't think so

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

SOC was afraid of PHS, what hope do you think Ajackson would have?!

hsfbfan
Varsity

Post by hsfbfan »

Jackson is just too big and too good for most if not all of the area leagues. Good luck Ironmen on finding a new home.

lineman7
All Conference

Post by lineman7 »

wipala wrote:SOC was afraid of PHS, what hope do you think Ajackson would have?!

Portsmouth was 1-3 vs. the SOC 2 this year... 1-3 vs SOC 2 last year...

domain master
Freshman Team

Post by domain master »

SCOL would be their best fit, but they are too far away.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Let's look how each sport would look in the SOC with Jackson in the league.

Sports Jackson likely wins the championship .... football, boys and girls soccer

Sports Jackson is very competitive and competing for championships....baseball (would be Burg's only challenge)

Sports Jackson might compete but likely just middle of the pack....girl's basketball (probably top 3), softball (strong softball league), volleyball,

Sports we rarely win a title and often not better than middle of the pack....boys track, girls track, boys tennis, girls tennis, golf, boys and girls cross country

We aren't talking Athens going into the TVC. Burg and Valley are very good across most all sports and Jackson just would not dominate this league and would bring big gates for several sports.

lineman7
All Conference

Post by lineman7 »

Valley has like what a 132 boys in the High School, Jackson has 306... how would that be fair to compete year in and year out?

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

If Jackson were about another 30 miles closer, I'd love to see them come into the MSL with their outstanding facilities and good athletics, but they're just too far away.

The only options I see Jackson having are either in the OVC if they choose to go to two five or six team divisions, or the SCOL. The travel wouldn't be that bad to the Fayette County schools and no worse than having to go to Zanesville or Ironton back in the bigger SEOAL days.
Last edited by bman on Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

My interview with JCS Superintendent Phil Howard from Wednesday afternoon (following the morning SEOAL meeting).

It's either SOC or TVC or independent for Jackson.

http://www.jacksoncountydaily.com

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor! Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!" - Ghostbusters :mrgreen: :!:

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Can someone tell me what TVC title and in what boys or girls sport it would have been in during the last 3-years?

Maybe girls basketball? (Share with Athens)

Maybe boys baseball? (Share with Meigs or Alexander)

Maybe girls softball?

Maybe girls soccer?

We may be a bigger school like Athens but to think we will dominate in all sports isn't considering the past results during the last few years when we have met up in non-league play.

The fact is you get a great gate in most sports because we do travel and in football for example beating us will provide most years some serious Harbin points. Can't for the life of me figure out how adding a school that has great facilities and brings people, is less than an hour travel, and is not dominate in any sport considering recent history is a bad thing.

You could make the same analysis above for the SOC, not sure what boys/girls sport we may have won in last 3-5 years. With exception of maybe this year Burg/Valley takes football. Burg takes baseball, Oak Hill or Valley takes basketball. Yeah we are bigger but that sure hasn't translated into wins when we have crossed over and played some of these teams.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

DP..If you cut out that dang parking fee, you'll have my vote lol

Seriously though, imo, Jackson only gets in the TVC IF the conference is planning to split into 3 or 4 divisions. I for one, am for a 4 division format.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

SOC being scared of Portsmouth is a joke, in basketball they would struggle with Portsmouth for now, But Burg and Valley always compete with the Trojans in Hoops. In the football world, SOC has dominated the Trojans......I still doubt that the SOC would offer a chance to Jackson

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Dundas wrote:DP..If you cut out that dang parking fee, you'll have my vote lol

Seriously though, imo, Jackson only gets in the TVC IF the conference is planning to split into 3 or 4 divisions. I for one, am for a 4 division format.
Lol, the $2 fee is a fixture I am afraid. Pays for us not to be a pay to play school. So instead of the parents of JHS not paying to play we make the parents of the visiting team do that for us lol...brilliance.

On a serious note when was the last time VC lost to us in boys basketball? I could list every school and give examples of competing well against us in lots of different sports, Alexander in volleyball; Athens in football; VC in boys and even girls basketball until recent last couple years; Wellston in girls softball; we bring soccer to the table for the TVC schools that field a team as well as golf and tennis. Have we ever beat Athens in golf or tennis in recent history?

This will hinge on football I am afraid, and I agree the TVC will have go to 3 divisions for it to be a consideration to even let us in, and good lord knows we beat that horse to death this past year in a thread prior to the TVC meeting.

I fear independence after 2016 will be our destiny unless we go school to school and lay out reasons why this is a good idea, and even then the reality is it will very difficult to convince the number required to make it a reality. But who knows stranger things have happened.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

I agree with what your saying DP and I think Jackson may need to visit each school in the TVC seperatly to give their pitch. Maybe jack Riley can be your spokesman! Lol But seriously, Jackson can give their pitch and also layout a format that benefits each school. Even the hocking schools. Especially the hocking schools as they are the votes that I would classify as "swing" votes. The hocking schools could care less if the Ohio adds Jackson BUT give them a 3 or 4 division plan that cuts out trips from miller to South Gallia or from a competition standpoint, ( ie. Trimble Vs Waterfor) and you may just get the votes. The same goes for the lower end Ohio schools. Take them and put them in a middle division and they may be interested as well!

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

I for one would love to see Jackson join the SOC. It will make our conference that much tougher. However, You have to convince Valley, and West of that. You have Waverly, Burg and Minford I would think. Minford has to get a stronger schedule and this will guarantee one more quality opponent year in and year out. I think in terms of Football, that is where Jackson will be fighting from behind getting in the SOC IMO. D3 against D4(1), D5(3) and D6(1). That D6 school will do all they can to prevent it. I know they aren't scared of anyone but considering the size advantage I honestly don't see it happening.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Dundas wrote:I agree with what your saying DP and I think Jackson may need to visit each school in the TVC seperatly to give their pitch. Maybe jack Riley can be your spokesman! Lol But seriously, Jackson can give their pitch and also layout a format that benefits each school. Even the hocking schools. Especially the hocking schools as they are the votes that I would classify as "swing" votes. The hocking schools could care less if the Ohio adds Jackson BUT give them a 3 or 4 division plan that cuts out trips from miller to South Gallia or from a competition standpoint, ( ie. Trimble Vs Waterfor) and you may just get the votes. The same goes for the lower end Ohio schools. Take them and put them in a middle division and they may be interested as well!
Now you are onto something Dundas, we will send Jack, our superintendent and AD along with a brand new F150 to every school. What is 10-12 new pick-up trucks when we need a new league lol.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Jolly P(irate) wrote:I for one would love to see Jackson join the SOC. It will make our conference that much tougher. However, You have to convince Valley, and West of that. You have Waverly, Burg and Minford I would think. Minford has to get a stronger schedule and this will guarantee one more quality opponent year in and year out. I think in terms of Football, that is where Jackson will be fighting from behind getting in the SOC IMO. D3 against D4(1), D5(3) and D6(1). That D6 school will do all they can to prevent it. I know they aren't scared of anyone but considering the size advantage I honestly don't see it happening.
With the possible exception of this year, that D6 school would have most likely beat us the last 3 years.

That D6 school beat us in baseball a couple years ago, and if you throw in basketball they would have owned us for quite some time looking backwards.

Little risk in sports other than football and maybe not so much there if you look backwards and be objective about it. The Harbin points beating us given we are a D3 (small D3 but still a D3) are pretty substantial, and given Burg/Minford/Valley success with football I can't convince myself that we would be the "favorite" in many years.

So the "downside" in having us in football is arguable, and in the other sports we are most likely mid-range. Upside is the number of people we bring to the gate $$, the facilities are excellent, and obviously the travel is minimal. Pretty good deal overall lol, but I am selling not buying today :12223

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

Wouldn't Jackson want to find a conference suitable for Wrestling too. ??

SOC is not a wrestling conference.

Return to “Football”