Students Say Football Not Worth The Effort.

SOHSP
Freshman Team

Students Say Football Not Worth The Effort.

Post by SOHSP »

Great article in the Dispatch. I will leave the commentary and comments to everyone else.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories ... ffort.html

vctransplant
All Conference

Re: Students Say Football Not Worth The Effort.

Post by vctransplant »

Not surprised. Kids today are lazy compared to years past. It's. A shame.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

So many factors in this trend but if you look at the end of the article the numbers in 2004 are similar to those this year. Sports are cyclical and usually follow the money. For instance Waverly 15 or so years ago was dIII with 50+ players. Mills Pride cabinet manufacture closes, 1000's lose job and they now struggle with numbers.

Grade level turnout is cyclical, Piketon dressed 52 boys for picture day, only 21 in grades 7 and 8. In pee wee the 5 and 6 have 31, 3 and 4 have 29.

Was at scrimmage and heard a lady tell her friend she hates football it's to dangerous but her husband and son love it. Single family homes are at high level and a lot of moms don't like football. They should look at number of concussions and injuries in girls soccer and basketball, those sports are dangerous! Lol

I don't disagree with kids being soft, but my 3 little ones spend hours playing with neighborhood kids in empty lot by my house. Kickball, whiffle ball, you name it they play it and my 5 year old son is tough as nails playing so not all kids! Lol

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Transplant, kids today have a lot more distractions than we ever had! Parents must take those distractions away, iPads, cell phones, xbox, computer and lock them up. Took my kids to a cookout with friends last night, about 10 kids and they played outside for 4 hours straight, it's OUR fault kids are lazy!

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Another issue in schools is specialization. Youth sports force kids to specialize at an early age. Many picking basketball/track/wrestling/ and baseball very young. This affects the numbers of kids playing football. Especially in small school districts where maybe 30% of the boys are involved in extracurricular activities. I know some kids are forced to choice between a job and sports.

ridgerunner
Freshman Team

Post by ridgerunner »

eagles73 wrote:Transplant, kids today have a lot more distractions than we ever had! Parents must take those distractions away, iPads, cell phones, xbox, computer and lock them up. Took my kids to a cookout with friends last night, about 10 kids and they played outside for 4 hours straight, it's OUR fault kids are lazy!
I agree with this 100%. Parents must step up in this day and age if you want this to stop. The technology is good as well as bad, but the parent needs to step up if they want to have a successful student athlete in these modern times.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

I agree with Eagles---it's jobs and numbers. How many kids are graduating today from your High School today compared to 10,20 or even 30 years ago? I bet some schools are keeping or beating the percentage of kids playing that they did, "Back in the Day."

BurgBalla
Riding the Bench

Post by BurgBalla »

I think another reason for this that we are neglecting is school work.

Now, not only are kids expected to practice 6 or 7 hours a day during the summer, but also 3 or 4 hours a day after school, and then they are expected to go home and do 3 or 4 hours of homework on top of that, because it is all about those test scores.

Schools not only in Ohio, but across the nation have to decide, which is more important? After school activities, or higher test scores. Sports simply benefit the kids. Higher test scores make us look better, they inflate our teachers and administration's egos, they get us awards that truly mean nothing to anyone besides ourselves, like a "School of Promise" or "School of Excellence" award. We don't really care about what the kids want. We just want good attendance during October count week so we can get more state funding to go to programs that don't benefit the kids at all!

But, of course, you must think that education takes a precedence over sports, no? But it has been proven that schools with bad, declining or no sports programs have a much lower enrollment rate, lower test scores, lower attendance, and lower graduation rates.

vctransplant
All Conference

Post by vctransplant »

Captain Awesome wrote:
eagles73 wrote:Transplant, kids today have a lot more distractions than we ever had! Parents must take those distractions away, iPads, cell phones, xbox, computer and lock them up. Took my kids to a cookout with friends last night, about 10 kids and they played outside for 4 hours straight, it's OUR fault kids are lazy!
I agree with this 100%. Parents must step up in this day and age if you want this to stop. The technology is good as well as bad, but the parent needs to step up if they want to have a successful student athlete in these modern times.
I agree too. Think all of the points made combine to make kids lazy. Not even like it was 10 years ago.

ty10111
Waterboy

Post by ty10111 »

SportFan2013 wrote:I think another reason for this that we are neglecting is school work.

Now, not only are kids expected to practice 6 or 7 hours a day during the summer, but also 3 or 4 hours a day after school, and then they are expected to go home and do 3 or 4 hours of homework on top of that, because it is all about those test scores.

Schools not only in Ohio, but across the nation have to decide, which is more important? After school activities, or higher test scores. Sports simply benefit the kids. Higher test scores make us look better, they inflate our teachers and administration's egos, they get us awards that truly mean nothing to anyone besides ourselves, like a "School of Promise" or "School of Excellence" award. We don't really care about what the kids want. We just want good attendance during October count week so we can get more state funding to go to programs that don't benefit the kids at all!

But, of course, you must think that education takes a precedence over sports, no? But it has been proven that schools with bad, declining or no sports programs have a much lower enrollment rate, lower test scores, lower attendance, and lower graduation rates.
You don't sound like you're describing sports, sounds more like marching band. Most practices don't last more than 3 hours, and for football that includes watching film and lifting weights on those 3 hour days. Those kids in the band are practicing before 2-a-days start and carry on well after the second football practice is over. In my town I live close enough to hear band practice go until 8:30-9:00 on school days. Also, I'm a teacher and unless kids are taking AP courses, there really isn't much homework that goes home with the number of study halls kids get these days.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

vctransplant wrote:Not surprised. Kids today are lazy compared to years past. It's. A shame.
This is true.....but mostly the parents lead them that way...........and this goes back to kids that are near 30 years old

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

in the article the ready coach states football is a year round sport. Really, maybe that is the problem!! maybe coaches need to give them time to play other sports. I do agree kids are lazy and would rather sit in house and play video games, but I also feel coaches are too demanding.

BurgBalla
Riding the Bench

Post by BurgBalla »

tlce4 wrote:
SportFan2013 wrote:I think another reason for this that we are neglecting is school work.

You don't sound like you're describing sports, sounds more like marching band. Most practices don't last more than 3 hours, and for football that includes watching film and lifting weights on those 3 hour days. Those kids in the band are practicing before 2-a-days start and carry on well after the second football practice is over. In my town I live close enough to hear band practice go until 8:30-9:00 on school days. Also, I'm a teacher and unless kids are taking AP courses, there really isn't much homework that goes home with the number of study halls kids get these days.
Even if they are just weight lifting, it is still practicing. Heck, at Rock Hill they practice while school is still in session. They have an Athletic PE class at the end of the day for kids in sports so they can weight lift or go outside and get extra practice. Also, fewer and fewer schools have "study halls" now. Once again, its all about that core class time.

chiefs
Varsity

Post by chiefs »

tlce4 wrote:

There are many schools that have a one study hall per semester rule.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

I disagree on the lazy and unmotivated---does this describe some, sure. Has there ever been a generation where everybody was a go getter? The kids I coach today are no different than the ones I coached 35 years ago. Some are highly motivated and you have to shoo them home, some just want to belong to something, and the vast majority want to have some fun.

Hair length and tastes in music and dress change---basic human nature doesn't.

I haven't heard anybody dispute my numbers theory: I know it's just one school but Miller graduated under 40 kids last year; compare that to 74, 84, 94, and 04. I'll guarantee you it's gotten lower over the years in most schools.

chiefs
Varsity

Post by chiefs »

Fortdawg wrote:I disagree on the lazy and unmotivated---does this describe some, sure. Has there ever been a generation where everybody was a go getter? The kids I coach today are no different than the ones I coached 35 years ago. Some are highly motivated and you have to shoo them home, some just want to belong to something, and the vast majority want to have some fun.

Hair length and tastes in music and dress change---basic human nature doesn't.

I haven't heard anybody dispute my numbers theory: I know it's just one school but Miller graduated under 40 kids last year; compare that to 74, 84, 94, and 04. I'll guarantee you it's gotten lower over the years in most schools.
I think some parents want to jump the ship if it doesn't look like a smaller school can offer as many classes to take. Example: New Lexington versus Miller. Not that I think that's exactly the case w/ Miller, but it's possible for many small schools. Trade schools are also getting more kids in, too.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Most kids aren't lazy. There are way more opportunities for them these days. Heck, most schools have way more sports for kids to choose from then they did twenty or thirty years ago. Soccer has obviously taken some athletes that would be playing football.

Specialization is most likely one of the top reasons numbers have declined. Kids can literally play their favorite sport year round now. That didn't exist in the past. And of course the concern about head injuries.

There are also a lot more opportunities to enjoy life that don't involve sports there days compared to the past. Times change.

vctransplant
All Conference

Post by vctransplant »

toast wrote:Most kids aren't lazy. There are way more opportunities for them these days. Heck, most schools have way more sports for kids to choose from then they did twenty or thirty years ago. Soccer has obviously taken some athletes that would be playing football.

Specialization is most likely one of the top reasons numbers have declined. Kids can literally play their favorite sport year round now. That didn't exist in the past. And of course the concern about head injuries.

There are also a lot more opportunities to enjoy life that don't involve sports there days compared to the past. Times change.
I agree with the more opportunities these days. Instagram, facebook, snapchat, twitter, texting, cellphones in general. They don't even watch tv. They turn it on to play football on xbox and playstation but they don't go outside and play the game like generations past. Maybe I used the wrong term in lazy. Maybe it is just the sign of the times. But I know in 2004 VC had 80+kids on the team. That is 10 years ago and we have half that now and there are over 270 boys in the school. All those social media sites were not around then and you had like tetrus on the phone not games like temple run. Now I know I'm a little older but when I was a Youngster we had pong and backyard football and Atari and basketball in the park. I guess pong and atari got boring. Cause I chose sports along with what seemed to be everyone I knew. Must be sign of the times cause ive seen Maden and NBA live on Xbox and pong doesn't compare. LOL.

local superstar
All State

Post by local superstar »

Soccer is big now too. Not as many concussions!

Return to “Football”