Week 12 Region 9: #1 Athens vs. #4 Tri-Valley

WhitieTidies21
Waterboy

Re: Week 12 Region 9: #1 Athens vs. #4 Tri-Valley

Post by WhitieTidies21 »

Also, if you have Time Warner Cable, week 1 vs. Upper Arlington is on demand and this last game will be on demand as well under "local sports"

Tyler_Durden
Freshman Team

Post by Tyler_Durden »

Tyler_Durden wrote:
buckfever wrote:
Tyler_Durden wrote:Truly is amazing that they managed to get in the playoffs and by some miracle are representing SEO in the D3 Regional Semifinal, having played all those tiny little schools. But don't worry, Athens is in for it this week and will get what's coming to them because they are playing a real team this week, with real football players... unlike anything they've ever seen before because of their geography. Everyone down south is dumb and doesn't know what a real football player looks like, so they're not going to know what hit them this week. Wait till you see their fans also. It'll blow your mind how much smarter they are up there. They have all their teeth and everything!
What now? Just so you know we still have all our teeth, we are not stupid, and we know what real football players are. On a even bigger note we are smart enough or to put down high school students...hats off to TV. you are a great team, what a game. What high school football is about!! Good luck to the tomcats! TVC
Dude, every word I said was tongue-in-cheek. Read my other posts, I'm all for SEO. I was just being a cynic based on all the stupid crap a handful of people were spouting all week. I've known all along that teams down in SEO such as Athens and Trimble are for real. In a few of my posts I was actually making fun of SEO critics.
Which, by the way....

Paladin, good luck on your predictions next week.

Moonshine, looking forward to your berating of Tri-Valley for being such a "big fish" in the D3 pond but losing to a smaller school.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

The Scotties are a great program - and a great team this year. They are 27-3 in their last 30 regular season games and have won 26 straight MVL games.

For Paladin or anyone else to say this was not a quality win for Athens is just silly. Last years win over Shawnee was a big time win as well. Back-to-back final 8 (regional finals) is impressive - I don't care what team it is. Paladin and others have no leg to stand on, IMO, and should just be men and congratulate the boys from Athens for their accomplishments. (maybe even throw in an apology too).

WhitieTidies21
Waterboy

Post by WhitieTidies21 »

Football Friday Nite Highlights... Includes Athens and Tri-Valley

http://www.nbc4i.com/video?autoStart=tr ... Id=9536608

First and 10 Highlights

http://www.10tv.com/content/sections/vi ... mpid=share

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

Not enough defense to win this region. I hope I'm wrong. Bulldogs end the W's here.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

tjhtygeverve wrote:
Not enough defense to win this region. I hope I'm wrong. Bulldogs end the W's here.
You very well could be right, because we're down to eight elite football teams in DIII, one of which is Athens. The offense should keep Athens in the game and depending on how defense and special teams does, Athens may continue to surprise. I felt Tri-Valley would win by a touchdown against Athens, but the Bulldogs did just enough to get the win. Athens has beat a good Logan Elm team and a pretty good Tri-Valley squad. Pretty nice run so far.

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

Nice win Athens need to tighten up that Defense and simple fact Burrows is the MVP of this team but I don't know about keeping him on defense from the sounds of it last night he took a few good hits on defense.
Hope the best for ya next week great win and good Luck going forward.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... anytime teams - any teams- get to the Elite 8 they are in rare air, in a league of select quality company ... Athens is there ... they just beat another quality ball club in the TV Scotties which adds even more credibility to the Bulldog resume' ... when a SEO team can go toe to toe with the "so called" big boys and get the "W" it puts a smile on my face! it obviously 'ticks" off naysayers from Above the Lancaster-Dixon Line BUT facts are facts the Athens Offense can play vs anyone and hold their own, the AHS D while undersized vs the likes of the Scotties did what they needed to do in crunch time giving the AHS offense the opportunity to win it ... it's all about opportunities - Burrows IS the man, you take advantage of ALL of his attributes as a player, AHS has size on the outside in Leuhrman "squared" , speed/hands/toughness in Wiseman to go over the middle, speed/strength in the backfield with Williams IF a team gives you an opening (i.e.. TV giving the ball back to Burrow & Co with time on the clock to end the first half ...TV kicking to Williams to open the 2nd half) as a playoff team, as an Elite 8 TEAM , you use all of the attributes TEAM brings to the playing field to make your opponent pay - it's how TEAMS become seasoned winners/how TEAMS become "elite" ... the more I think about the game the bigger the smile I get on my face - obviously I'm a big time basketball guy BUT having seen the Athens multiple sport kids play on the hardwood - I feel like I know these kids - it is ALWAYS great hearing their names, hearing them being successful on the football field in playing at such a high level - I'm smiling right now - great job by the 'dawgs TEAM best of luck this coming week vs Marion Franklin who by the way is ALSO one of those "elite" teams ... hmmmmmmm elite team vs elite team- looks like the makings for another great high school "showcase" game ...

... 93dog ! I enjoyed the broadcast last night by the way - great job in the booth ...

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

Congrats to Athens! Enjoy the moment!

victor creed
Varsity

Post by victor creed »

this is great, congratualtions to athens, good luck going forward. what a game. i was in nelsonville last night pulling for valley, (with my pirates hat on) and i was sitting in front of a very nice older couple who lived about 100 yards from the stadium. he had headphones on listening to athens, and about halfway into the game i was wishing i had made the drive a little farther up 93 to logan instead of stopping in nelsonville. what a great game and what a great win for the athens program. althought i live in pirate land i am an ironton alum, and i have very fond memories of my seoal days and traveling to athens and playing up there and at least in my memory of the facilites up there especially the pool off the visting locker room. very nice i also love that palidan is probably grinding his teeth that athens is advancing, that gives me just as much joy as the fact that they are actually advancing. for a guy who is so into scouting and reccomending scholarships and helping the community or whatever it is you do, you would think that once your team is out of it you would support your local area teams and root for them but from your posts thats obviously not the case. my way of thinking is that if you put logan purple on this athens team they would probably in your opinion have 6 d1 players.

BA11A
Waterboy

Post by BA11A »

Congratulations to the Athens Bulldogs good hard fought win and way to move to the next round, no matter by 50 or by 1 a win is a win keep finding ways to do it. Paladin sounds like crickets in here. And although I was joking about the 6 D-1 prospects just wanted to get the rise I knew I would thanks. But seriously Good win dogs and we do have two legit D-1 prospects so keep it going.

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

ironman02 wrote:Great game to watch tonight. Hats off to both teams for leaving it all on the field.

Athens did what they had to do to get the win. They played well offensively as usual, and stepped up to make some big plays at critical times on the defensive side of the ball. Most importantly, though, they took care of the football. Also, I thought Burrow was simply outstanding. He certainly has a knack for making plays when his team needs it the most.

Tri-Valley committed a couple costly turnovers, one which resulted directly in a TD. Mistakes like that can't happen in playoff football or you'll pay the price. I thought they played very well in the trenches, and did a decent job against the Athens offense, but the TD pass they allowed on the last play of the first half and the kick return TD they gave up to Williams really turned the tide of the game after they led 28-14. Just too much to overcome against an explosive team like Athens.

Congrats to the Bulldogs on the win and good luck against Marion-Franklin.

This was a good post and pretty much said what was needed. I am glad that most posters on here recognized that the negativity toward Athens the past week did NOT come from the TV posters who came over to talk with everyone. After last night, I think you can also see why the TV posters thought they would win this game. Not arrogantly, but supportive of their team.

I know Athens is focused on next week, but let me add that besides Athens returning everyone next year, TV returns nearly everyone next year also. An exceptional junior class and a solid sophomore and freshmen class (hate to lose a couple seniors, but will fill the spots by committee). Lots of stuff can happen in a year, but I think the percentage is pretty high that Athens and TV play again in week 12 or 13 next year. I expect TV to be better next year than this year. Both teams should be home in week 11 again.

I will post some thoughts about the Marion Franklin match up later once that thread is started. Just a note: In 2010, 2011, and 2012, TV's losses in week 12 or 13 were narrow defeats to the team that went on to the state-semis. I am sure Athens hopes that trend continues one more year.

Special thanks to 93bulldog and loganlocos for being class acts on here and in our off the board communications. Good luck bulldogs.

bigblue allday
Freshman Team

Post by bigblue allday »

Congrats to the Bulldogs I knew you guys could pull it out. Last year you made school history lets make some more next week. Hopefully my Tomcats can make more school history them selves tonight hope to see some of the bulldog faithfull there. Again congrats on a tough game

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

teach1coach2 wrote:Special thanks to 93bulldog and loganlocos for being class acts on here and in our off the board communications. Good luck bulldogs.
I walked out of the press box, toward the school and looked for you on the top row - but all I seen was Athens fans?

maybe you were down at the concession stand getting a hotdog or something ... :mrgreen:

sorry I wasn't able to locate you, and thanks for the comments.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

pfloyd wrote:... anytime teams - any teams- get to the Elite 8 they are in rare air, in a league of select quality company ... Athens is there ... they just beat another quality ball club in the TV Scotties which adds even more credibility to the Bulldog resume' ... when a SEO team can go toe to toe with the "so called" big boys and get the "W" it puts a smile on my face! it obviously 'ticks" off naysayers from Above the Lancaster-Dixon Line BUT facts are facts the Athens Offense can play vs anyone and hold their own, the AHS D while undersized vs the likes of the Scotties did what they needed to do in crunch time giving the AHS offense the opportunity to win it ... it's all about opportunities - Burrows IS the man, you take advantage of ALL of his attributes as a player, AHS has size on the outside in Leuhrman "squared" , speed/hands/toughness in Wiseman to go over the middle, speed/strength in the backfield with Williams IF a team gives you an opening (i.e.. TV giving the ball back to Burrow & Co with time on the clock to end the first half ...TV kicking to Williams to open the 2nd half) as a playoff team, as an Elite 8 TEAM , you use all of the attributes TEAM brings to the playing field to make your opponent pay - it's how TEAMS become seasoned winners/how TEAMS become "elite" ... the more I think about the game the bigger the smile I get on my face - obviously I'm a big time basketball guy BUT having seen the Athens multiple sport kids play on the hardwood - I feel like I know these kids - it is ALWAYS great hearing their names, hearing them being successful on the football field in playing at such a high level - I'm smiling right now - great job by the 'dawgs TEAM best of luck this coming week vs Marion Franklin who by the way is ALSO one of those "elite" teams ... hmmmmmmm elite team vs elite team- looks like the makings for another great high school "showcase" game ...

... 93dog ! I enjoyed the broadcast last night by the way - great job in the booth ...

FLOYD IS THE MAN!

NUFF SAID.

TigerBacker#1
Riding the Bench

Post by TigerBacker#1 »

Nice to see Athens win a football game in Logan. It has been a while for them.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

toldya wrote:Nice to see Athens win a football game in Logan. It has been a while for them.
It was very tough to stomach all the purple in that stadium last night and in the press box ... (why do the Logan folks, who run the event, persist on wearing purple to a game that doesn't even include the Chieftains? lol)

Even Locos showed up decked out in purple!!!

ridicules I must say.

:mrgreen:

Purplesage
Freshman Team

Post by Purplesage »

Well I must say I had quite a few games to choose to go see last night but I am glad I choose this one!!! This one shows how much a game can change from quarter to quarter!!! At first I said this Athens team is going to give up a hundred and in the beginning it look like TV was going to snuff that vaunted Bulldog offense 92-21 projected score !!!!! Then before half it turned into a sword fight with 28 points scored in just 4 minutes, now that's more like what I was expecting !!!!! Athens down by a TD to begin the half aaaghhhhhh well that lasted about 7 seconds!!! But then something changed Athens began to show signs of being able to slow and even stop the TV offense by dominating the line of scrimmage, interesting twist, so Athens begins to play from the lead and although it was never more than a one score lead it seemed to lift them on defense!!!! So big play perry and thrust was the order of the second half and then OT came along and the Bulldogs defense just plain old stuffed the Scotties!!!! Field goal decision was obvious but what the Bullldogs did next was ,cunning, subtle and explosive at the same time!!!! You see all night when they ran a QB keeper they blocked right and ran right on a delay( fake to the RB ) this time there was no delay, no fake and the play went left it fooled all but 2 defenders who couldn't bring him down before that was that!!!! WHAT AN ENJOYABLE GAME!!!!! It ranks as one of my top 10 all time playoff games!!! Great atmosphere and Surroundings thanks to whoever grilled those awesome burgers and sent the smell throughout the stadium!!!!!! Had to eat one!!!!! OH YEAH LOVE THE PURPLE TOO!!!!!!!!!!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... 93dog - is it true that the Athens team will handing out Purple Hippo stickers to go the helmets for outstanding plays/game contributions ??? :mrgreen:

vctransplant
All Conference

Post by vctransplant »

Congrats to Athens on one hell of a game. That was one of the most exciting games I have watched in a while. TV played one heck of a game and never quit. Both team deserved to be there and played like true champions. Cudos to Joe Burrow who played one hell of a game on both sides of the ball. And Trea Williams showed everyone he is a D1 talent. The kick return, the two defended td passes that he broke up, and the big plays he made on 3rd down and long to keep drives going. Both of those kids are prospects. Williams may be the most underrated player in SEO. If he played on any team anywhere else around the state he would do the same. That team may not have 5-7 seven D1 players as paladin says. But I see two for sure and 5-7 D-2 players. Complete team who plays for eachother and represent their school and community well. Congratulations again Bulldogs, and beat them red devils.

Return to “Football”