Week 12 Region 9: #1 Athens vs. #4 Tri-Valley

seasick80
All State

Re: Week 12 Region 9: #1 Athens vs. #4 Tri-Valley

Post by seasick80 »

bman wrote:Yes, it was truly a special night to have pfloyd put away the basketball and get out that foreign pigskin.
We need a LIKE button for SEOPS!! Good post!!

wrestler87
Freshman Team

Post by wrestler87 »

Gongrats Athens! I hate to take away any thunder, but it's glad Tri-Valley Had the early turnover for a quick score, and the other scoop at the end. Tri Really did win most of the categories. Except passing yardage I'm sure.
I think Athens will possibly have an easier game next week. Unless speed hurts 'em more. This Region is VERY winnable. Good luck.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Congrats to both teams. Hope Marion brings their running shoes. Should be a high scoring shoot out

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Great game to watch tonight. Hats off to both teams for leaving it all on the field.

Athens did what they had to do to get the win. They played well offensively as usual, and stepped up to make some big plays at critical times on the defensive side of the ball. Most importantly, though, they took care of the football. Also, I thought Burrow was simply outstanding. He certainly has a knack for making plays when his team needs it the most.

Tri-Valley committed a couple costly turnovers, one which resulted directly in a TD. Mistakes like that can't happen in playoff football or you'll pay the price. I thought they played very well in the trenches, and did a decent job against the Athens offense, but the TD pass they allowed on the last play of the first half and the kick return TD they gave up to Williams really turned the tide of the game after they led 28-14. Just too much to overcome against an explosive team like Athens.

Congrats to the Bulldogs on the win and good luck against Marion-Franklin.

TigerBacker#1
Riding the Bench

Post by TigerBacker#1 »

Oh man. Pass me some of that GREEN koolaide. I am on the bus. I remain firm that eventually the Athens D is a problem but if it is week 13 or beyond who cares. They do have a week 15 offense. No doubt Burrow is the real deal. Class by himself below the Lancaster Dixon line. Very glad to see him on defense and i do believe it helped the dawgs. Williams is a nice southern Ohio back. His shot at any collegiate level wil be on defense.

Enjoy the experience. Enjoy the ride. The game can not be much closer but hey the dawgs roll on.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Congrats to the Bulldogs. Outstanding football game, and outstanding fight from the Bulldogs.

Burrow is a difference maker. Put his team on his back when the TV defensive line took over the game. His scrambling ability after the Scotties took the 21-7 lead was key. A part of his game that most knew was there, but a part he has had to utilize much this season.

Athens played mistake free football, won the turnover battle, and got a special teams score. When you execute well and win the turnover you are hard to beat. Throw in an efficient offense and it becomes even easier.

An early look at the stats show Athens scoring 55 points in 52 offensive plays.

But it was two plays - Adam Luehrman beating two Tri-Valley defenders to a ball at the goal line to end the first half and then Trae Williams kickoff return to start the second (why in the world would you kick to him?) that turned this game on its head.

The Bulldogs made plays when it counted and didn't make mistakes. And Athens had the best player on the field. That's a winning formula.

WhitieTidies21
Waterboy

Post by WhitieTidies21 »

Congratulations Athens on the win. I doubted you and now I am eating some fantastic crow... ha ha.

Those of you that are saying next week will be easier are cracking me up! You can't know anything about MF if that's what you think. Now, Athens will score next week but this will be the best defense you will face so far this year. MF defense is much better than it's offense... which is why we won tonight. However, the offense pretty good. Feel free to go in to next week thinking it's going to be an easy win. Remember... MF knows how to win playoff games. Next Friday, this will be MF's 4th regional final game in 5 years. Just keep this in mind.... only once this year has a team scored more than 20 points on this defense. Athens may score more than 20, but the MF D will get stops. The question is, will Athens stop MF's offense?

I think the game will be in Logan. The OHSAA has no issue with putting a team in a stadium twice. Tri Valley went to Gahanna Lincoln twice in 2011. I'll be surprised if the game is in Franklin County... However, if it's at Reynoldsburg or Hamilton Township... I won't be upset... haha

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Let me add that I commend the Bulldog staff for sending Burrow out to play some defense tonight. Thought he made a couple of timely plays that made a difference.

Most D3 kids play a majority of their kids both ways, even if many, like TV do a lot of rotating. It made a difference when it counted.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

MFHS04 wrote:Congratulations Athens on the win. I doubted you and now I am eating some fantastic crow... ha ha.

Those of you that are saying next week will be easier are cracking me up! You can't know anything about MF if that's what you think. Now, Athens will score next week but this will be the best defense you will face so far this year. MF defense is much better than it's offense... which is why we won tonight. However, the offense pretty good. Feel free to go in to next week thinking it's going to be an easy win. Remember... MF knows how to win playoff games. Next Friday, this will be MF's 4th regional final game in 5 years. Just keep this in mind.... only once this year has a team scored more than 20 points on this defense. Athens may score more than 20, but the MF D will get stops. The question is, will Athens stop MF's offense?

I think the game will be in Logan. The OHSAA has no issue with putting a team in a stadium twice. Tri Valley went to Gahanna Lincoln twice in 2011. I'll be surprised if the game is in Franklin County... However, if it's at Reynoldsburg or Hamilton Township... I won't be upset... haha
those are tv ppl saying that. We know next week we will have to play our best football to win. I doubt Athens will only score 20. Both teams should put up 40-50. Be a shoot out
Last edited by Raider6309 on Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

RAIDER6309 wrote:
MFHS04 wrote:Congratulations Athens on the win. I doubted you and now I am eating some fantastic crow... ha ha.

those are tv ppl saying that. We know next week we will have to play our best football to win. I doubt Athens will only score 20. Both teams should put up 50
I'd be stunned if it gets in the 50's next week.

jagered
JV Team

Post by jagered »

Yea I have seen a couple people on here and the guy on the radio say they won't let a team play at the same place twice but it isn't true. Last year Mansfield Highs Arlin Field hosted Toledo Whitmer in back to back weeks with the last one to decide the region, so they definitely do let teams play at the same place consecutively if it is still the closest for both schools.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

I hope they play at Logan and isn't a far drive for Marion

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

I don't know many specifics about Marion-Franklin, but it sounds like they have a lot of size, and plenty of speed and athleticism to go with it. They have been very successful the last few years in the playoffs, so they know what it takes to win this time of year. Athens has proven that they can win big football games, though, and they seem to have a knack for rising to the challenge. With a player like Burrow and an offense that can score from anywhere on the field, you simply can't count Athens out. Wish I was able to see this game next weekend.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

Congratulations to the Bulldogs! Back to Back Regional final appearances, never in my wildest dreams did I think I would ever see Athens play on a regional final let alone two in a row. As others have already said, Burrow put the team on his back tonight and willed his team to a victory. The TD pass with no time on the clock to finish the half was huge and the Williams kick return to open the second half really got the Dogs fired back up. The defense I thought did a good job with scheme and had guys in position to make plays but much like last week did a poor job of wrapping up the ball carrier. Anyway they did enough to win again and reach week 13 and that is plenty for me!

jagered
JV Team

Post by jagered »

watched MF tonight on tv and yeah they r BIG but it really isn't the kind of big that if the truth be told, their parents wish they were on a better diet. Please don't think I am bashing the kids because I'm not but yeah MF has been their and done that I get it, and after watching MF tonight I like Athens chances of running by and around that BIG MF defense.

WhitieTidies21
Waterboy

Post by WhitieTidies21 »

As an Marion Franklin supporter, I am rooting for the Red Devils.... naturally. As a football fan, I am excited to see this Athens offense! GO RED DEVILS!! :)

WhitieTidies21
Waterboy

Post by WhitieTidies21 »

jagered wrote:watched MF tonight on tv and yeah they r BIG but it really isn't the kind of big that if the truth be told, their parents wish they were on a better diet. Please don't think I am bashing the kids because I'm not but yeah MF has been their and done that I get it, and after watching MF tonight I like Athens chances of running by and around that BIG MF defense.

Running it past? Mmmmm... doubtful... Passing is another story.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

I have been asked numerous times this season by Bulldog fans and opposing teams fans who I thought was the best team in our region this year and every time my answer was Marion Franklin. I still believe that to be true and they will be hard to beat but Athens has a special group who won't quit and anything is possible with this team. Again Athens will have to step up and play their best game to win but this group continually does things people say they can't and that is why we love them so much.

buckfever
Riding the Bench

Post by buckfever »

Tyler_Durden wrote:Truly is amazing that they managed to get in the playoffs and by some miracle are representing SEO in the D3 Regional Semifinal, having played all those tiny little schools. But don't worry, Athens is in for it this week and will get what's coming to them because they are playing a real team this week, with real football players... unlike anything they've ever seen before because of their geography. Everyone down south is dumb and doesn't know what a real football player looks like, so they're not going to know what hit them this week. Wait till you see their fans also. It'll blow your mind how much smarter they are up there. They have all their teeth and everything!
What now? Just so you know we still have all our teeth, we are not stupid, and we know what real football players are. On a even bigger note we are smart enough or to put down high school students...hats off to TV. you are a great team, what a game. What high school football is about!! Good luck to the tomcats! TVC

WhitieTidies21
Waterboy

Post by WhitieTidies21 »

A-Town Big Dog 2 wrote:

I have been asked numerous times this season by Bulldog fans and opposing teams fans who I thought was the best team in our region this year and every time my answer was Marion Franklin. I still believe that to be true and they will be hard to beat but Athens has a special group who won't quit and anything is possible with this team. Again Athens will have to step up and play their best game to win but this group continually does things people say they can't and that is why we love them so much.
Well said!

Return to “Football”