Practice Time

TOESTUBBER01
Riding the Bench

Practice Time

Post by TOESTUBBER01 »

I was curious how much practice time teams get in during the week. I think our coach practices the kids way more than what we used to have to do with far worse results. Maybe kids are just dumber now and need more practice but I doubt it. Maybe all schools practice this much - just curious.

Here is their schedule:
M - 3:30 - 6
T - 3:30 - 6
W - 3:30 - 6:30
Th - 3:30 - 5:30
F - game
S - 8:00 - 12 (jv usually has a game this day or they are practicing)

They almost always run over by at least 30 minutes everyday (which while I'm waiting I think of asking questions like this).

that's 14 hours plus the 2.5 hours of overage = 16.5 hours plus games. They are in school I think 7 hours per day = 35 hours. So school/practice is about 52 hours a week. These kids look gassed in first half each week and its not because they aren't in shape, I think they are just completely fatigued - physically and mentally.

And whats really sad with all this practice time, the JV is always just the scout team for the varsity, they get no reps at their own plays unless they are called up for varsity duty. JV practices none as a team.

And the results = so far they are 0-5, running clock every game except the last one. I'll withhold the name of the school for now - just curious how other schools run their practice times. Back in the day we practiced for 1.5-2 hours per day, never had to go in on Saturdays. Our only loss that year was to eventual state champion.

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Re: Practice Time

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

Going by your previous post your talking about warren. Thats alot of practice time to be so bad

Winners never quit. And quitters never win! Vince Lombardi
Seabee_0586
Varsity

Post by Seabee_0586 »

That's way to much your right I would be drained out when Friday's came around

SOC 1
OVC
JV Team

Post by OVC »

One would think as the season draws to a close, practice time would decrease and have a more focused approach on strategy more than anything. That's at least how it was done while I was in school, regardless if you were making the playoffs or not (they started taking 8 instead of 4 my junior year so you knew early whether or not you had a chance)

Contemplating all life choices and loyalties…
X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Seabee_0586 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:02 pm That's way to much your right I would be drained out when Friday's came around
No doubt be like give me water and let me ride the bench

ArmChairQB
Varsity

Post by ArmChairQB »

Many schools go light on Mondays. Film and some stretching and running.
Tuesday and Wednesday- 2 hour- hard practices.
Thursday- 30min walk through type practice.helmets only team meal around 6pm.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

toestubber, I love that name.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

This was the practice schedule for almost every nwc team for years until contact rule changes.
Monday. 330-530
1/2 hour film 1/2 lift
430 to 530 condition and walk through

Tuesday. 330-6
Full contact offense

Wednesday. 330-6
Full contact defense

Thursday. 330-530
1/2 lift 1/2 film
430-530 no conditioning only walk through
Report to freshman game

Friday report 1/2 before bus

Saturday.
Varsity coaches meetings 730-tba
Jv report 1/2 hour before bus
Varsity if need to see trainer 1/2 before bus
Varsity report to jv game

Full contact days were in full pads walk through helmets and shoulder pads

Big emphasis on supporting the freshman and jv guys with no practice on Saturday

We usually went to someone's house to watch college games after jv game

Now in season it is lot more like the mac schools were you go hardly any contact more helmets and shoulder pads

Booster club use to cader food to us for extended lunch on thursdays

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Monday film review your team. Film review upcoming opponent. Weight lifting and conditioning about 330-600
Tuesday if your going to have a full contact day this is it. Put in offensive game plan for week. Conditioning practice 330-600
Wednesday put in defense for week and eight lifting usually 330-530
Thursday conditioning walk thru of offense and defense go through any special plays or hot calls for week. Spend about 30 minutes to one hour on special teams practice 330-530

A lot of Saturday's nothing for players. If not players in for a hour so.

To be honest with you though in today's world a lot of film study up to player. When my son played his last year. Game film was on there hudl accounts. By Saturday morning two or 3 game films from upcoming opponent. Usually by noon on Saturday the position coaches have sent out cuts of film with notes on things to work on. Sometime later in day. There are brakedowns of opponents defensive fronts and what we want to do against each one and tentacles on offense for upcoming opponent

Curious
Riding the Bench

Post by Curious »

Now you understand whey some coaches and underclass starters chose not to return for this years team. Unproductive and zero fun!!!!!!!!!

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

^^^^true statement

TIGER#27
JV Team

Post by TIGER#27 »

Curious wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:24 am Now you understand whey some coaches and underclass starters chose not to return for this years team. Unproductive and zero fun!!!!!!!!!
BooooM!!!! hit the nail on the head with that one.

Attitude, Effort and Hustle
You control that.
TOESTUBBER01
Riding the Bench

Post by TOESTUBBER01 »

Curious is absolutely correct. The kids are saying its zero fun and if current coaching staff remains many will not be back next year. Especially underclassmen. They are just tackling dummies for varsity, never getting to practice as a JV team.

Emawood
Waterboy

Post by Emawood »

Getting ready for practices (dressing and getting things ready) usually take the first 30min then 2 for hour practice. You lose the attention of kids if you go longer.

juicebox
Riding the Bench

Post by juicebox »

Never can practice enough, practice makes perfect!. Suck it up buttercups!

purpleblood1
JV Team

Post by purpleblood1 »

Back in my day at Chesapeake:

Monday - walk through, film
Tuesday - maybe full maybe not
Wednesday - same as Tuesday
Thursday - walk through in helmets
Friday - gameday
Saturday - review of Fridays game
Sunday - off

Before school we had a walk through of offense one or two days a week in the gym.
Times for practice varied according to the weather. Sometimes after school sometimes after 7p.
One thing was for sure we never got fed by no booster or anyone except our parents at the house.

Seabee_0586
Varsity

Post by Seabee_0586 »

I think coaches need to run the football team like the military everyone is equal it doesn't matter if your JV or not

SOC 1

Return to “Football”