Game Report: Union Local 13 Weir, W.Va 7

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Game Report: Union Local 13 Weir, W.Va 7

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Last night I made the drive to Union Local high school to watch my first game, that featured Wier, West Virginia and the Union Local Jets. The stadium was very nice, with the only complaint being three bucks to park.
The two teams came in with a combined record of 9-1. Both came in with offenses that had been dominating, with Weir averaging in the neighborhood of 45 points per game, and Union Local averages 41 points per game. I think everyone in the stadium was thinking that there was going to be a ton of points put up in this one, but that would not be the case. I am not sure if the little rain that was put down on the grass field made things difficult for the offenses, whatever the case was this was a defensive struggle all night long, for both of the high potent offenses.

The clock reads 7:43 in the opening quarter when, #18 Bradan Lucas 5-8 / 155 pull down a one-handed interception for the Jets, on a pass thrown by #1 Sebastian Spencer 5-9 / 130. Lucas made a fantastic play on the ball, as he appeared to slip just as he got a good read on the ball.

The Jets needed just three plays to go the thirty-four-yards needed to get the score. The scoring play came on a pass thrown by,#2 Cal Kildow 5-7 / 140 to Lucas. Lucas powered his way through a tackle and then easily sprinted into the end zone. The point after was good to make this a 7-0 game, with 6:17 left on the clock. The point after was hit by #56(Not on the roster)

At the 11:46 mark of the 2nd quarter Wier got a twenty-yard run from #34(Not on the roster) that gave the road team a much needed first down. However the Jets defense stood tall and shut the drive down a few seconds later.

The Red Riders defense registered a sack on Kildow at the 11:29 mark of the quarter, when #51 Will Rupert 6-0 / 200 teamed up with #32 Tyler Mack 5-10 / 195 to plant Kildow deep into the natural grass. Kildow might have still been feeling the hurt from the sack would be stripped of the ball by #21 Drew Curtis 5-11 / 180 and his teammate #4 Quincy Dameron 5-10 / 155 came up with it, giving the Red Riders the ball. Once again the Jets defense flexed its muscles and put a stop to the road teams drive and made doing so look very easy.

Neither team was able to do much on offense in the third quarter. Defense continued to rule the night, but each team did have some nice moments. With a minute gone in the quarter,the Jets got a nineteen-yard completion from Kildow to #28 Zane Thompson 5-11 / 175. Just eleven seconds later Kildow was sacked by #21 Drew Curtis 5-11 / 180. A five-yard face mask call was called on the defense in this one but the damage had been done, with the big sack. Kildow was sacked again, this time by #74 Garrett Johnson 6-0 / 215, at the 9:51 mark.

The Red Riders got a fine twenty-two-yard run from #11 Reed Reitter, 6-3 / 210, at the 9:19 mark of the quarter. A little over a minute later it would be the Jets defense turn to fly high, when #11 Ty Kildow 5-9 / 130 picked off a Spencer pass.

The Jets pulled off two fourth down tries on the ensuing drive, The first was as pretty as it gets. #56, who punts had acted like he was going to throw the ball or run it each time he punted. Now I am guessing here, but I think the coaching staff of the Jets picked something up on the film and put it into play in this game. And with 6:33 left in the half #56 tucked the ball and took off and picked up the first down. The 2nd, 4th down conversion took place at the 4:30 mark of the quarter and it came in the form of a Kildow run up the gut.

Just ten seconds into the fourth quarter, the Jets got a twenty-nine-yard by Lucas. Lucas did a Barry Sanders spin like move, broke a tackle to pick up the yards and then a face masking penalty was tacked on. Then Lucas capped off the drive with a five-yard touchdown run. The point after was short and wide, leaving this a 13-0 game, with 10:53 left in the contest.

The Jets defense got a sack on Spencer at the 10:12 mark of the quarter, when #23 Zach Greene 6-0 / 170 and #56 teamed up to get the quarterback. A punt soon followed as the Red Riders offense was put down once again.

#18 Lucas had a rough time in the return game and with 8:05 left in the final quarter, those troubles flared up again, when he fumble the ball and making matters worse for him, was the fact that #20 Jaylon Bridges 5-10 / 165 of the Red Riders came up with it, on the Jets nine-yard-line.

Two plays later #5#5 Chad Custer 5-10 / 175 powered his way into the end zone, with a nice run. #11 Ty Kildow 5-9 / 130 made this a six-point game with his point after kick. With 7:52 left, we had ourselves a ballgame.

The last five minutes of the game supplied three exciting plays but zero points.
With 5:00 left another fake punt was pulled off by the Jets. This time a short snap to Kildow, who ran for the first down brought the home side to its feet, with some of the Weir fans sitting near me yelled out how stupid can you be, to get fooled by this again. I admit this brought a chuckle from deep down inside of me and a lady sitting to my left.

At the 2:56 mark, Kildow threw a pick to #4 Quincy Dameron 5-10 / 155. The road side fans almost all came to their feet and cheered their team. But the excitement came to an abrupt end, when #5 Chad Custer 5-10 / 175 was fighting for extra yards put the ball on the ground and making the recovery for the Jets was #11 Ty Kildow 5-9 / 130,with 2:42 left in the game. The Jets ran the clock out as they moved to 6-0 on the season.

VERY UNOFFICIAL STATS

WEIR
51 PLAYS
106 YARDS
PASSING 5-15 2 INT'S

UNION LOCAL
63 PLAYS
201 YARDS
PASSING 5-13 1 INT.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Game Report: Union Local 13 Weir, W.Va 7