How do you feel about areas around Ohio in small areas with multiple schools forming one county school?

Omega
SEOPS H

Re: How do you feel about areas around Ohio in small areas with multiple schools forming one county school?

Post by Omega »

My thoughts on consolidation based on observations from Ky and WV.

Consolidation makes economic sense.

Consolidation does not necessarily make for better education outcomes.

Consolidation can cause loss of community identity.

Consolidation more often than not does not make for more competitive athletic teams.

Bottom line for consolidation is the bottom line. It is all about the money or lack of it.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Ironmen#2588
Freshman Team

Re: How do you feel about areas around Ohio in small areas with multiple schools forming one county school?

Post by Ironmen#2588 »

Dundas wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:36 pm
Poo Bear wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:58 pm
X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:57 pm

Why thou would them combining move them up divisions or anything? and they're both competitive right now
Wellston / Jackson ? Would still be a big d3 ??

If Jackson and wellston consolidated, they would be DII. very close to Logan numbers. If the kids in ge city of wellston went to VC and outside of the city when to Jackson, they would possibly stay in DII. But that would be the only way.
Jackson used to be in D2 region 8 back in 04 and before that.
But if you add just jackson and wellston together, what would you do with oak hill, they would stay down at div 5 or 6 or 7?

Ironmen#2588
Freshman Team

Post by Ironmen#2588 »

Omega wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:48 pm My thoughts on consolidation based on observations from Ky and WV.

Consolidation more often than not does not make for more competitive athletic teams.

Bottom line for consolidation is the bottom line. It is all about the money or lack of it.
Really kind of the point for this forum. Would it best for the community and the county. hard when you have multiple schools in a county but majority of the money that's going into the schools, let's say 75% is going into the biggest or 2 biggest schools while 25% to the smaller schools.
Yes athletics would thrive pretty well. But more reason because of economic sense.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Ironmen#2588 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:57 pm
Omega wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:48 pm My thoughts on consolidation based on observations from Ky and WV.

Really kind of the point for this forum. Would it best for the community and the county. hard when you have multiple schools in a county but majority of the money that's going into the schools, let's say 75% is going into the biggest or 2 biggest schools while 25% to the smaller schools.
Yes athletics would thrive pretty well. But more reason because of economic sense.
Funding isn't determined by county. It's determined by school district.
Yes, schools with more students get more money but they also have more expenses.
In Southeastern Ohio, having more money based on pupil count isn't going to make things better. Most school districts can't get a decent levy passed to make up the difference so they have the funding they need and consolidating isn't going to change that.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Ironmen#2588
Freshman Team

Post by Ironmen#2588 »

Orange and Brown wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:03 pm

Funding isn't determined by county. It's determined by school district.
Yes, schools with more students get more money but they also have more expenses.
In Southeastern Ohio, having more money based on pupil count isn't going to make things better. Most school districts can't get a decent levy passed to make up the difference so they have the funding they need and consolidating isn't going to change that.
So you don't think the money that the community/county puts towards the school makes a difference in the funding?

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Do you understand how Levy's work?

BUCKEYE PRIDE!
farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

How much extra money do County Commissioners have now?

Right now small schools are in much better economic shape than the County Government.

Ironmen#2588
Freshman Team

Post by Ironmen#2588 »

Orange and Brown wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:09 pm Do you understand how Levy's work?
Yes I do know.

Oak
Freshman Team

Post by Oak »

Could you imagine how good a team would be if the best football players from New Boston, Green, East, Minford, South Webster, and Wheelersburg all went to one school? Wow

Wait we already have that :lol:

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

Yea, it's worked out great for Logan. Either they all do or none should.

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

dazed&confused wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:50 pm Yea, it's worked out great for Logan. Either they all do or none should.
I had a 50 minute bus ride freshman year and some kids were on the bus a lot longer. I don't thinks that's great :lol:

BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Ironmen#2588
Freshman Team

Post by Ironmen#2588 »

Oak wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:44 pm Could you imagine how good a team would be if the best football players from New Boston, Green, East, Minford, South Webster, and Wheelersburg all went to one school? Wow

Wait we already have that :lol:
They would be a big D3 school!

79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

Only as a last resort.

Once a Tiger, always a Tiger. :D
Seabee_0586
Varsity

Post by Seabee_0586 »

East and green should join together they both need a new school so it's a win win

SOC 1
dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

Orange and Brown wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:53 pm
dazed&confused wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:50 pm Yea, it's worked out great for Logan. Either they all do or none should.
I had a 50 minute bus ride freshman year and some kids were on the bus a lot longer. I don't thinks that's great :lol:
Sarcasm.

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse
Da man
Riding the Bench

Post by Da man »

Breaking apart ck, buffalo and vinson to form spring valley and huntington east and huntington to form the new huntington and milton barboursville and ona to for cabell midland. Curious to hear from people of these areas in wv. I know it was a hard pill to swallow for a lot of people.

I think one county school is the wrong way to go. I think in lawrence county you could go 2-4 high schools. In scioto i could see new boston, clay and east consolidating. Burg and green.

Shrinking high schools by 1/3 i think would be realistic

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Ironmen#2588 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:53 pm
Dundas wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:36 pm
Poo Bear wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:58 pm

Wellston / Jackson ? Would still be a big d3 ??

If Jackson and wellston consolidated, they would be DII. very close to Logan numbers. If the kids in ge city of wellston went to VC and outside of the city when to Jackson, they would possibly stay in DII. But that would be the only way.
Jackson used to be in D2 region 8 back in 04 and before that.
But if you add just jackson and wellston together, what would you do with oak hill, they would stay down at div 5 or 6 or 7?

I would split wellston up 3 ways. City kids go to VC. Northern half of the district goes to Jackson. Southern half goes to oak hill. That would pretty much allow Jackson to stay D3 and oak hill probably wouldn't change either. VC would probably move back to D3 though.

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

There is no way athletics would thrive. Would you be able to field a great team? Yes. The problem is who would you play. All the money you talk about saving and bringing into the school would be spent on travel. Every road game would be a minimum of one hour most being closer to two. So away crowds would be down. So that is less community support.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Bigger is not always better. Yea you could put schools together to make D I size schools but would it truly be D I as far as athletics would be concerned. How well did Chillicothe do when they played int Ohio Capital Conference with the Columbus schools. There is a reason they went to the SEOAL first then to the SCOL and now the new conference. How is Logan doing now that the SEOAL is gone? The majority of consolations that what happen in Southeastern Ohio would be rural schools which would be spread out over a large area. This would present a problem on kids participating in athletics and other extra curricular activities. You put the smaller schools together the majority of athletes do not understand what it is to simply have to compete to get on the field because at some of the smaller schools just showing up and playing can be enough to get on the field on Friday night.

I am sure some will disagree with me.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Ironmen#2588 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:49 pm
GalliaGrad78 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:26 pm "Look at Gallia Academy, shutting down their athletics very soon because they don't have the funds in the budget"

Where did that info come from, Ironmen#2588?
I was told from a very good family friend that lives in gallia. very reliable source. I hope it doesn't happen galliagrad78, gallia still has some good athletic programs in other sports but also a good tradition. But look at the economy with everything going on, it's going to come to schools combining into one school in areas like gallia. like south gallia, river valley and galliapolis and making it into gallia county high school.

I don't think your source is very reliable on this.

Return to “Football”