Post by gametime »

Is it Wins
Is it knowing X & O's
Is it communication
Etc. :?: :?:

You can't handle the truth
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: What makes a good Head Football Coach.

Post by Orange and Brown »

I think you can name a lot of things but in the end it comes down to knowledge of the game, communication with your players, getting the right staff, and getting your kids to buy into your system.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

It's a large variety of things. Common sense is a biggie. Definitely Agree O&B on getting the right staff.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

Johnies and Joes. You need a good feeder system in addition to coaching.

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse
Kendog029
Freshman Team

Post by Kendog029 »

Being able to maximize talent! Weather you have studs or first year players coach has to find there strengths and utilize it. Also very important aspect of coaching is being able to see what your opponent is doing and making adjustments.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Knowledge and being able to communicate that first to your staff and to the players.
Communication with the staff in preparation for practice and games. As well as having a good mix of coaches that are under the direction of the head coach. Not outside interests.
Being able to communicate with parents while being able to keep parents at a distance.
Now a days giving direction to all levels of football. Showing up at some practices and games. As well as encouraging staff and players to support the lower levels.
Being a productive leader for offseason workouts. As well as a leader for all players to stay out of trouble and to do well in classes. To produce respect and hard work.
To adapt to make changes as to the strengths of the team and the opponent.
Not make to many calls that turn out to be bad calls.

HammeredEagle
Waterboy

Post by HammeredEagle »

You are all wrong. There’s one thing that makes a great head coach. It’s not the x’s and the o’s. It’s the johhny’s And the joe’s. Great players make great coaches. Period.

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

farmer wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:15 pm Knowledge and being able to communicate that first to your staff and to the players.
Communication with the staff in preparation for practice and games. As well as having a good mix of coaches that are under the direction of the head coach. Not outside interests.
Being able to communicate with parents while being able to keep parents at a distance.
Now a days giving direction to all levels of football. Showing up at some practices and games. As well as encouraging staff and players to support the lower levels.
Being a productive leader for offseason workouts. As well as a leader for all players to stay out of trouble and to do well in classes. To produce respect and hard work.
When I go to church tomorrow I am going to ask Monsignor if he knows anyone who may fit these qualifications ........gotta be someone up there who can fill the bill on your request.......... :) :)

gametime
SE

Post by gametime »

Just looking at some of the posts and nobody mentioned about winning

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I think number one is being a great communicator, and being able to relate to the community and today's players. Second is being a good judge of character so you can tell if your coaches are going to be all in on your program and third be a good administrator and organizer. Because the way things are set up now. The coach must depend on whole staff.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

HammeredEagle wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:26 pm You are all wrong. There’s one thing that makes a great head coach. It’s not the x’s and the o’s. It’s the johhny’s And the joe’s. Great players make great coaches. Period.
Uh, I think I said that earlier

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse
Banned4ever
Waterboy

Post by Banned4ever »

farmer wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:15 pm Knowledge and being able to communicate that first to your staff and to the players.
I think it’s interesting that the the former coach at La Salle in California wouldn’t talk to parents and yet the experts in here think communication with parents is somehow important

Must parents are selfish
Coaches beware

redmanfan
Riding the Bench

Post by redmanfan »

I find it interesting that many have suggested that knowledge of the game, communication with players and selecting a coaching staff are the foundations of a good coach. Yet many staff have this but, at times, my have talent, or lack talent:
So you have a team who is successful for several years but then starts to lose with the SAME staff? Or came up short at the end of the game? So you have a 3/4 year winning season and are the coach of the year, but lose the next 3 or 4, then start to win again but you are an inept coach?
What changed? Is it truly the Billy and Bob's? Is it the X and the O's? Is it the poor attitudes of a community? OR COULD IT BE THAT SOMETIMES A COACH NEEDS TO FIND HIS/HER WAY THAT CAN SUCCEED. THAT CAN FINALLY ADJUST HIS/HER PHILOSPHY TO ADAPT TO THE PROGRAM AND TALENT ON THE TEAM. THAT CAN EMBRACE A TEAM AND IT'S TALENTS (AND WEAKNESS) AND BUILD A WINNING PROGRAM.
Maybe sometimes the mentality of a community is more harmful to a program than a coach could ever be!

Seabee_0586
Varsity

Post by Seabee_0586 »

I think the assistant coaches make or break a head coach

SOC 1
X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

Me and seabee make good coach/assistant we're gonna run kids till they puke line em up and run em again

Winners never quit. And quitters never win! Vince Lombardi
X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

In all honesty it takes everything to be a good coach which is why im not one lmao

Winners never quit. And quitters never win! Vince Lombardi
Seabee_0586
Varsity

Post by Seabee_0586 »

We will have trash cans waiting for them to puke lol in all honesty I think you need talented kids

SOC 1
gametime
SE

Post by gametime »

16 post no one said winning football games, yet most are fired for not winning enough, it takes a special person to coach putting up with fans and parents, I think winning is important but there times when fans think teams are better than they really are

hannancoach
JV Team

Post by hannancoach »

Our coach won the SEOAL our first year in the league
Being able to adapt to new things is obviously a skill he has

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Banned4ever wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:19 pm
I think it’s interesting that the the former coach at La Salle in California wouldn’t talk to parents and yet the experts in here think communication with parents is somehow important

Must parents are selfish
Coaches beware
Bob Ladoucer in the movie When the Game Stands Tall not everything in that movie was true. The Chris Ryan with his dad was added to the movie. There was never a Chris Ryan in real life.
As for the communication with parents I stated above,"Being able to communicate with parents while being able to keep parents at a distance." You do have to communicate some with parents for one big reason most are minors. Discuss injuries Dr. and therapy visits. There are some other reasons. Just have to keep a distance or say I will not get into that with you.

Return to “Football”