Friday only playoff games

Sykotyk
Waterboy

Re: Friday only playoff games

Post by Sykotyk »

Orange and Brown wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:38 pm Oh Boo Hoo.........
You are going to watch a state championship game or multiple games and you get upset because you can't take whatever into the stadium.....
Now that's just awful :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think his point is valid. Most people attending a HS football game don't just assume that there's special rules at Canton. Even Texas has issues when their games are played at AT&T Stadium. And despite their best efforts, they greatly relax their own stated rules due to the onslaught of people clogging up the gates.

Things like purses, camera cases (not cameras), umbrellas (this is hit or miss depending on the stadium), outside food, water, or drinks (you'd be surprised how many HS stadiums allow outside food and drink. Personal radios/headsets. Medical supplies or those for small children. Though Medical is allowed inside a stadium in all instances, their first reaction is always that you're bringing in contraband.

The worst part of the NFL stadium rules is the Clear Bag rule they instituted. This is an unfortunately very sexist rule as it affects women far more than men. The initial argument is 'public safety' (i.e, weapons), however it's clear it's to help prop up overpriced concessions. Even the argument that 'bringing too much stuff' may inconvenience fans around you: it's a HS game in a 30,000 seat stadium with at most 10,000 people. Trust me. There's room.

The other is now allowing cases for cameras or binoculars. I take a camera to every game I go to. You can check out my pics here: http://www.flickr.com/sykotyk/sets/

Now, I don't have a top notch camera with a detachable lens (which is usually restricted to 3 or 6 inches, depending on the venue), but I still don't want it outside the case for long when it's not in use. Luckily, for me, stadium security is relatively lax about it most of the time and it does come very close to qualifying as a 'hand sized' bag, which IS allowed. Even though it's a camera case.

If you've been to an NFL game for either an NFL game or a high school game, you'll know the Clear Bag rule by now and probably wouldn't need a refresher. It's a nuisance intended to 'speed up' security lines, but it really doesn't. Hiring a few extra employees and maybe giving greater benefit to fans to not just clog the entrances two minutes before kickoff and expecting to get right in may be another.

So far, I've been to these stadiums.

AT&T Stadium - Enforced it, but they give in to the bag rule very quickly on game days for HS football. They also say you can't leave and reenter, but if you ask them at the gate they will.
NRG Stadium - Militant about the clear bag rule.
Lucas Oil Stadium - By far the most fan-friendly stadium, as the Convention Center runs it, not the Colts. So they let everything in and allow in-out privileges during their title games.
Ford Field - Incredibly stick-in-the-mud about their rules. As if Moses carried them down from Mt Goodell.
Superdome - Clear bag rule for most things, did allow purses in though when pressed on the issue.
MetLife Stadium - Wouldn't allow umbrellas, but when it inevitably rained, tried to keep fans from not sitting in the corners under the overhangs before finally giving in and letting fans sit under the overhangs. #genius
M&T Bank Stadium - Very relaxed security. Gave lip service to clear bag rule and items, but generally didn't care.
Heinz Field - Clear Bag rule easily defeated, but they do enforce it.
New Era Field, Buffalo - It's a HS game, they just want to see what you're bringing in.
TCF Bank Stadium, Minnesota (interim) - Incredibly uptight about security and outside anything, sure the rules carry over to the new stadium.

I've been to others, but before the bag rule went into effect across NFL venues.

Easiest way to defeat the bag rule? Carry everything in by hand and just have a drawstring bag on you. Pass through security, put everything in drawstring bag. Simple. And it's not forbidden, as they give out bags in every team shop that ISN'T a clear bag by definition either.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Sykotyk wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:32 pm
Orange and Brown wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:38 pm Oh Boo Hoo.........
You are going to watch a state championship game or multiple games and you get upset because you can't take whatever into the stadium.....
Now that's just awful :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think his point is valid. Most people attending a HS football game don't just assume that there's special rules at Canton. Even Texas has issues when their games are played at AT&T Stadium. And despite their best efforts, they greatly relax their own stated rules due to the onslaught of people clogging up the gates.

Things like purses, camera cases (not cameras), umbrellas (this is hit or miss depending on the stadium), outside food, water, or drinks (you'd be surprised how many HS stadiums allow outside food and drink. Personal radios/headsets. Medical supplies or those for small children. Though Medical is allowed inside a stadium in all instances, their first reaction is always that you're bringing in contraband.

The worst part of the NFL stadium rules is the Clear Bag rule they instituted. This is an unfortunately very sexist rule as it affects women far more than men. The initial argument is 'public safety' (i.e, weapons), however it's clear it's to help prop up overpriced concessions. Even the argument that 'bringing too much stuff' may inconvenience fans around you: it's a HS game in a 30,000 seat stadium with at most 10,000 people. Trust me. There's room.

The other is now allowing cases for cameras or binoculars. I take a camera to every game I go to. You can check out my pics here: http://www.flickr.com/sykotyk/sets/

Now, I don't have a top notch camera with a detachable lens (which is usually restricted to 3 or 6 inches, depending on the venue), but I still don't want it outside the case for long when it's not in use. Luckily, for me, stadium security is relatively lax about it most of the time and it does come very close to qualifying as a 'hand sized' bag, which IS allowed. Even though it's a camera case.

If you've been to an NFL game for either an NFL game or a high school game, you'll know the Clear Bag rule by now and probably wouldn't need a refresher. It's a nuisance intended to 'speed up' security lines, but it really doesn't. Hiring a few extra employees and maybe giving greater benefit to fans to not just clog the entrances two minutes before kickoff and expecting to get right in may be another.

So far, I've been to these stadiums.

AT&T Stadium - Enforced it, but they give in to the bag rule very quickly on game days for HS football. They also say you can't leave and reenter, but if you ask them at the gate they will.
NRG Stadium - Militant about the clear bag rule.
Lucas Oil Stadium - By far the most fan-friendly stadium, as the Convention Center runs it, not the Colts. So they let everything in and allow in-out privileges during their title games.
Ford Field - Incredibly stick-in-the-mud about their rules. As if Moses carried them down from Mt Goodell.
Superdome - Clear bag rule for most things, did allow purses in though when pressed on the issue.
MetLife Stadium - Wouldn't allow umbrellas, but when it inevitably rained, tried to keep fans from not sitting in the corners under the overhangs before finally giving in and letting fans sit under the overhangs. #genius
M&T Bank Stadium - Very relaxed security. Gave lip service to clear bag rule and items, but generally didn't care.
Heinz Field - Clear Bag rule easily defeated, but they do enforce it.
New Era Field, Buffalo - It's a HS game, they just want to see what you're bringing in.
TCF Bank Stadium, Minnesota (interim) - Incredibly uptight about security and outside anything, sure the rules carry over to the new stadium.

I've been to others, but before the bag rule went into effect across NFL venues.

Easiest way to defeat the bag rule? Carry everything in by hand and just have a drawstring bag on you. Pass through security, put everything in drawstring bag. Simple. And it's not forbidden, as they give out bags in every team shop that ISN'T a clear bag by definition either.
The big problem we have is that Their has been no talk outside of message boards about implamenting this policy at the state championships at the new stdium.
Will their be some restrictions? Of course. A lot of people will be showing up so it should be expected.

His problem is that he likes to sit back and complain about ticket prices and the cost of programs because he thinks he is special.
Heck, he came to a game at Nelsonville-York and tried to get in for free by claiming he was media because he writes his little ge reoprt posts on here and Yappi......

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Sykotyk
Waterboy

Post by Sykotyk »

Orange and Brown wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:49 pm
The big problem we have is that Their has been no talk outside of message boards about implamenting this policy at the state championships at the new stdium.
Will their be some restrictions? Of course. A lot of people will be showing up so it should be expected.
It was already stated those restrictions would be in place. Now, their intensity of enforcing them is yet to be seen. But, first title games at the new venue, I can't imagine them relaxing their own stated rules immediately. They're already using most of the rules for McKinley and Malone/Walsh games.

His problem is that he likes to sit back and complain about ticket prices and the cost of programs because he thinks he is special.
Heck, he came to a game at Nelsonville-York and tried to get in for free by claiming he was media because he writes his little ge reoprt posts on here and Yappi......
First. I know LCF quite well and have met him many times at games over the years. He also write for BluegrassPreps and does get a press pass for the Pike County Bowls down there. I think N-Y greatly underestimates the cost of publicity compared to his $5. No harm in asking if you can get a press pass in exchange for writing an article. Quid pro quo.

As for him 'complaining', it's more economical for him in his decisions where to go and what games to see. There's a difference between 'afford' and 'value'. I can afford a lot of things, but that doesn't mean it holds value. I too disagree with a lot of the prices charged at games. Especially HS games played at major venues with major prices. They're high school games. I hear more complaining from casual fans sitting around me about the cost of this, the cost of that, or how far they had to park, etc.

Every little impediment is another reason NOT to return. Things like state championships with a constantly revolving cast of teams to show up get this tampered just a little bit, but the schools who are frequent return participants (The Coldwaters, Marion Locals, Mooney, Ursulines, SVSMs, Iggy, etc), they notice, and decide whether going to 'the next game' is worth it.

I spend a lot of money seeing games around the country. One year I spent over $10k seeing 8 Browns games and 127 HS football games. It wasn't cheap. But, just because I can afford it doesn't mean there's value in every expenditure. If I spend $25 for parking at the Browns game, i can still question whether it's worth it even after paying the money.

There's great ranges in how much tickets cost. Most of Ohio seem to be $6 for general admission at the gate. Pennsylvania is still mostly $4-$5 for general admission. Pittsburgh City League charges only $3. I went to a game in New York that charge ONE dollar for admission. Western Reserve Academy is free admission while Linsly School charges admission. Most schools don't charge parking. Some do. Why? Who knows. Some due to limited space and ensuring those well to do with the school are taken care of. South Range's new stadium has handicapped and 'preferred' parking right at the stadium for an annual pass. Everyone else parks across the road in the school lots. It's just what ti is. Doesn't mean you, me or LCF can't complain about it when a school just up the road in a much more treacherous financial situation just lets everyone park on any available patch of grass they can.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Sykotyk wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:04 pm
It was already stated those restrictions would be in place. Now, their intensity of enforcing them is yet to be seen. But, first title games at the new venue, I can't imagine them relaxing their own stated rules immediately. They're already using most of the rules for McKinley and Malone/Walsh games.

First. I know LCF quite well and have met him many times at games over the years. He also write for BluegrassPreps and does get a press pass for the Pike County Bowls down there. I think N-Y greatly underestimates the cost of publicity compared to his $5. No harm in asking if you can get a press pass in exchange for writing an article. Quid pro quo.

As for him 'complaining', it's more economical for him in his decisions where to go and what games to see. There's a difference between 'afford' and 'value'. I can afford a lot of things, but that doesn't mean it holds value. I too disagree with a lot of the prices charged at games. Especially HS games played at major venues with major prices. They're high school games. I hear more complaining from casual fans sitting around me about the cost of this, the cost of that, or how far they had to park, etc.

Every little impediment is another reason NOT to return. Things like state championships with a constantly revolving cast of teams to show up get this tampered just a little bit, but the schools who are frequent return participants (The Coldwaters, Marion Locals, Mooney, Ursulines, SVSMs, Iggy, etc), they notice, and decide whether going to 'the next game' is worth it.

I spend a lot of money seeing games around the country. One year I spent over $10k seeing 8 Browns games and 127 HS football games. It wasn't cheap. But, just because I can afford it doesn't mean there's value in every expenditure. If I spend $25 for parking at the Browns game, i can still question whether it's worth it even after paying the money.

There's great ranges in how much tickets cost. Most of Ohio seem to be $6 for general admission at the gate. Pennsylvania is still mostly $4-$5 for general admission. Pittsburgh City League charges only $3. I went to a game in New York that charge ONE dollar for admission. Western Reserve Academy is free admission while Linsly School charges admission. Most schools don't charge parking. Some do. Why? Who knows. Some due to limited space and ensuring those well to do with the school are taken care of. South Range's new stadium has handicapped and 'preferred' parking right at the stadium for an annual pass. Everyone else parks across the road in the school lots. It's just what ti is. Doesn't mean you, me or LCF can't complain about it when a school just up the road in a much more treacherous financial situation just lets everyone park on any available patch of grass they can.
You register yesterday and today you show up to defend him
Hmm......

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Sykotyk
Waterboy

Post by Sykotyk »

He told me about the thread. I am on Yappi and many other forums. Never had a reason to register here. Considering I was brought into the conversation, I figured I'd add my thoughts on the matter.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Once again when it comes to me you are so wrong.

I am not special just a fat old man who likes to go to football games.

I talk about things but I do not see it as complaining.

You can see things your ways, and post or talk about it, and I won't call it complaining.

Never should a program cost more than a game ticket.

As for the NY thing, had I not posted about it, it would never have been brought up.

Since then, I have quit getting a pass(I never called myself a media person)I am a old fat man who post pics and game report online, nothing more.

I am done with this as once again I was shown to be correct.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Is anyone other than myself not concerned with this guy??? I mean he openly said in 1 year he went to 8 Browns games, WHAT???? Not even the people in Cleveland go watch them that much. You may have went to 8 Browns games but I know you didn't get any value, although I'm willing to bet they might pay people to come into the stadium. :lol: HOLY CRAP I can't believe someone admitted to that.

Sykotyk
Waterboy

Post by Sykotyk »

greygoose wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:56 pm
Is anyone other than myself not concerned with this guy??? I mean he openly said in 1 year he went to 8 Browns games, WHAT???? Not even the people in Cleveland go watch them that much. You may have went to 8 Browns games but I know you didn't get any value, although I'm willing to bet they might pay people to come into the stadium. :lol: HOLY CRAP I can't believe someone admitted to that.
I actually gave up my season seats after 2015. Not because of their record, just some ways they game day and front office staff treated their fans.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

How do you go to 127 HS football games in 1 year?? Trying to work the math here and football is played same time of year for everyone maybe start a week earlier a week later, etc. Assuming there's a game on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, the math doesn't add up. Do you leave games after the 1st quarter and hit about 2-3 games a night that way?? I mean let's just say 5 games a weekend for 15 weeks still leaves you well shy. Just curious

Sykotyk
Waterboy

Post by Sykotyk »

greygoose wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:58 pm How do you go to 127 HS football games in 1 year?? Trying to work the math here and football is played same time of year for everyone maybe start a week earlier a week later, etc. Assuming there's a game on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, the math doesn't add up. Do you leave games after the 1st quarter and hit about 2-3 games a night that way?? I mean let's just say 5 games a weekend for 15 weeks still leaves you well shy. Just curious
That year, I didn't leave any games early to see another game. One game was postponed after it started, which is how I saw it. Another was delayed considerably for lighting issues and I saw the second half.

Based on the OHSAA calendar that year:

Week 0 - 7 games in Kentucky & Tennessee
Thursday Chattanooga McCallie v. Cleveland (@ UT-Chattanooga)
Friday Ray Correll Bowl doubleheader in Somerset, KY
Saturday Rafferty's Bowl doubleheader (@ WKU) in Bowling Green, KY
Sunday Barren County Bowl doubleheader (@ Barren County HS) in Glasgow, KY (was postponed from Saturday)

Week 1 - 7 games in Ohio
Thursday game
Friday Crosstown Showdown doubleheader at Miami University
Saturday Crosstown Showdown tripleheader at Shealey Athletic Center at UC
Sunday Lakewood St. Edward v. Baltimore Gilman (@ Lakewood)

Week 2 - 10 games in Ohio & New York
Thursday game in Parma, Ohio
Friday doubleheader at Syracuse's Carrier Dome (NYSPHSAA Section 3 Kickoff Classic)
Saturday quadrupleheader at Carrier Dome
Sunday quadrupleheader at Carrier Dome (only saw first 3 of 4)

Weeks 3 through 10: 4 games a week EXCEPT

Week 7: 5 games - Beaver-Laurel game was delayed a long time due to power outage, drove over after Niles McKinley-Hamilton Ross ended to catch the second half, 5 that week.
Week 10: 5 games - Saw Thursday afternoon game at Cleveland JFK and Thursday night game at Cleveland Heights. Friday game and two on Saturday.

Week 11: 13 games in New York
Thursday and Friday: 6 games at Ralph Wilson Stadium, Orchard Park (NYSPHSAA Section 6 Championships)
Saturday: 3 games at Sahlen's Stadium, Rochester (NYSPHSAA Section 5 Championships)
Sunday: 4 games at Carrier Dome, Syracuse (NYSPHSAA Section 3 Championships)

Week 12: 3 games
Friday night and two Saturday games in Pennsylvania

Week 13: 15 games in Iowa, Minnesota, and Nebraska
Thursday: 3 games at UNI Dome in Cedar Falls, Iowa (IAHSAA Championships)
Friday: 3 games at TCF Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, MN (MSHSL Championships)
Saturday: 3 games at TCF Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, MN (MSHSL Championships)
Monday: 3 games at Memorial Stadium, Lincoln, NE (NSAA Championships)
Tuesday: 3 games at Memorial Stadium, Lincoln, NE (NSAA Championships)

Week 14: 9 games in Missouri and Illinois
Thursday: Annual Thanksgiving Day game between Webster Groves & Kirkwood (MO)
Friday: 4 games at Memorial Stadium in Champaign, IL (IHSA Championships)
Saturday: 4 games at Memorial Stadium in Champaign, IL (IHSA Championships)

Week 15: 11 games in Maryland and New Jersey
Thursday: 100th game of the year at M&T Bank Stadium, Baltimore, MD (MPHSAA Championships)
Friday: 2 games at MetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ (NJSIAA Championships)
Saturday: 4 games at MetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ (NJSIAA Championships)
Sunday: 4 games at MetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ (NJSIAA Championships)

Week 16: 4 games in Pennsylvania
Friday: 2 games at Hershey, PA (PIAA Championships)
Saturday: 2 games at Hershey, PA (PIAA Championships)

Week 17: 10 games in Texas
Thursday: 4 games at AT&T Stadium, Arlington, TX (UIL Championships)
Friday: 3 games at AT&T Stadium, Arlington, TX (UIL Championships)
Saturday: 3 games at AT&T Stadium, Arlington, TX (UIL Championships)

Week 18: 3 games in Florida
Saturday: 3 games at FAU Stadium, Boca Raton, FL (Burger King Bowl/State Champions Bowl Series)

If I listed them all right, that's 127 varsity games in 19 weekends. Trips included stops in:

Massachusetts
New York
New Jersey
Maryland
Pennsylvania
Ohio
Kentucky
Tennessee
Illinois
Iowa
Minnesota
Nebraska
Missouri
Texas
Florida

My future wife was there for 113 of them. And the three in Florida was happenstance. We were going to Florida for Christmas with her family and the games were scheduled in Boca Raton just about 10 miles or so up the coast from their home. Call those ones pure luck.

I've done the math. Unlimited resources and time, you can see about 150-160 games at absolute most if the annual schedules line up for you. Minnesota plays 14 semifinal games in one weekend (I'll be at the new US Bank Stadium this November for them), I only saw 3 games one playoff weekend. There were a lot of other options. Some states have midweek playoff games to shorten the season (ND and SD do this).

Since 2010, I've seen 55, 73, 100, 100, 127, 97, 84, and am on pace this year to see 77. All-time, I've seen 770 varsity HS football games in person as of this week.

----

And I do have a correction to make. I only saw 7 Browns games in 2014. I missed the Colts game by staying in New Jersey another day for the second quadrupleheader.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Sykotyk wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:01 am
greygoose wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:58 pm How do you go to 127 HS football games in 1 year?? Trying to work the math here and football is played same time of year for everyone maybe start a week earlier a week later, etc. Assuming there's a game on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, the math doesn't add up. Do you leave games after the 1st quarter and hit about 2-3 games a night that way?? I mean let's just say 5 games a weekend for 15 weeks still leaves you well shy. Just curious
That year, I didn't leave any games early to see another game. One game was postponed after it started, which is how I saw it. Another was delayed considerably for lighting issues and I saw the second half.

Based on the OHSAA calendar that year:

Week 0 - 7 games in Kentucky & Tennessee
Thursday Chattanooga McCallie v. Cleveland (@ UT-Chattanooga)
Friday Ray Correll Bowl doubleheader in Somerset, KY
Saturday Rafferty's Bowl doubleheader (@ WKU) in Bowling Green, KY
Sunday Barren County Bowl doubleheader (@ Barren County HS) in Glasgow, KY (was postponed from Saturday)

Week 1 - 7 games in Ohio
Thursday game
Friday Crosstown Showdown doubleheader at Miami University
Saturday Crosstown Showdown tripleheader at Shealey Athletic Center at UC
Sunday Lakewood St. Edward v. Baltimore Gilman (@ Lakewood)

Week 2 - 10 games in Ohio & New York
Thursday game in Parma, Ohio
Friday doubleheader at Syracuse's Carrier Dome (NYSPHSAA Section 3 Kickoff Classic)
Saturday quadrupleheader at Carrier Dome
Sunday quadrupleheader at Carrier Dome (only saw first 3 of 4)

Weeks 3 through 10: 4 games a week EXCEPT

Week 7: 5 games - Beaver-Laurel game was delayed a long time due to power outage, drove over after Niles McKinley-Hamilton Ross ended to catch the second half, 5 that week.
Week 10: 5 games - Saw Thursday afternoon game at Cleveland JFK and Thursday night game at Cleveland Heights. Friday game and two on Saturday.

Week 11: 13 games in New York
Thursday and Friday: 6 games at Ralph Wilson Stadium, Orchard Park (NYSPHSAA Section 6 Championships)
Saturday: 3 games at Sahlen's Stadium, Rochester (NYSPHSAA Section 5 Championships)
Sunday: 4 games at Carrier Dome, Syracuse (NYSPHSAA Section 3 Championships)

Week 12: 3 games
Friday night and two Saturday games in Pennsylvania

Week 13: 15 games in Iowa, Minnesota, and Nebraska
Thursday: 3 games at UNI Dome in Cedar Falls, Iowa (IAHSAA Championships)
Friday: 3 games at TCF Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, MN (MSHSL Championships)
Saturday: 3 games at TCF Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, MN (MSHSL Championships)
Monday: 3 games at Memorial Stadium, Lincoln, NE (NSAA Championships)
Tuesday: 3 games at Memorial Stadium, Lincoln, NE (NSAA Championships)

Week 14: 9 games in Missouri and Illinois
Thursday: Annual Thanksgiving Day game between Webster Groves & Kirkwood (MO)
Friday: 4 games at Memorial Stadium in Champaign, IL (IHSA Championships)
Saturday: 4 games at Memorial Stadium in Champaign, IL (IHSA Championships)

Week 15: 11 games in Maryland and New Jersey
Thursday: 100th game of the year at M&T Bank Stadium, Baltimore, MD (MPHSAA Championships)
Friday: 2 games at MetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ (NJSIAA Championships)
Saturday: 4 games at MetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ (NJSIAA Championships)
Sunday: 4 games at MetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ (NJSIAA Championships)

Week 16: 4 games in Pennsylvania
Friday: 2 games at Hershey, PA (PIAA Championships)
Saturday: 2 games at Hershey, PA (PIAA Championships)

Week 17: 10 games in Texas
Thursday: 4 games at AT&T Stadium, Arlington, TX (UIL Championships)
Friday: 3 games at AT&T Stadium, Arlington, TX (UIL Championships)
Saturday: 3 games at AT&T Stadium, Arlington, TX (UIL Championships)

Week 18: 3 games in Florida
Saturday: 3 games at FAU Stadium, Boca Raton, FL (Burger King Bowl/State Champions Bowl Series)

If I listed them all right, that's 127 varsity games in 19 weekends. Trips included stops in:

Massachusetts
New York
New Jersey
Maryland
Pennsylvania
Ohio
Kentucky
Tennessee
Illinois
Iowa
Minnesota
Nebraska
Missouri
Texas
Florida

My future wife was there for 113 of them. And the three in Florida was happenstance. We were going to Florida for Christmas with her family and the games were scheduled in Boca Raton just about 10 miles or so up the coast from their home. Call those ones pure luck.

I've done the math. Unlimited resources and time, you can see about 150-160 games at absolute most if the annual schedules line up for you. Minnesota plays 14 semifinal games in one weekend (I'll be at the new US Bank Stadium this November for them), I only saw 3 games one playoff weekend. There were a lot of other options. Some states have midweek playoff games to shorten the season (ND and SD do this).

Since 2010, I've seen 55, 73, 100, 100, 127, 97, 84, and am on pace this year to see 77. All-time, I've seen 770 varsity HS football games in person as of this week.

----

And I do have a correction to make. I only saw 7 Browns games in 2014. I missed the Colts game by staying in New Jersey another day for the second quadrupleheader.
Dude that's some serious mileage and a lot of watching high school ball, WOW. Didn't realize the amount of double, triple or quadruple headers one could catch during the season like that without it being playoff time. Most of those I'm guessing are large schools being at that many games in that many states curious as to the different ball being played from state to state in terms of talent and play style??

No correction needed on the Browns thing, no one should ever own up to going to watch them.

Sykotyk
Waterboy

Post by Sykotyk »

greygoose wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:38 am Dude that's some serious mileage and a lot of watching high school ball, WOW. Didn't realize the amount of double, triple or quadruple headers one could catch during the season like that without it being playoff time. Most of those I'm guessing are large schools being at that many games in that many states curious as to the different ball being played from state to state in terms of talent and play style??

No correction needed on the Browns thing, no one should ever own up to going to watch them.
It's easier to list the states I HAVEN'T seen a varsity game in yet:

AK, HI, WA, OR, ID, NV, AZ, SD, KS, AR, CT, RI, VT, NH, ME

I'll be in South Dakota in a couple weeks.

A lot of the multi-game events are just whatever teams in the area want to play. In NYSPHSAA, the regular season is ONLY 7 games long. So, most schools don't exactly have great stadiums. Almost everyone makes the playoffs, though, so you're getting 8 games. And the few situations where teams don't make the playoffs there's either a consolation game or a consolation tournament. Similar to an NIT. So, with the stadium situation what it is, the Carrier Dome annual hosts a kickoff classic featuring teams from throughout Section 3 and usually beyond. Recently, it's been ten games. 2 on Thursday, 4 on Saturday, and 4 on Sunday because of a quick of Syracuse U hosting a Friday game that weekend (NY starts in OHSAA Week 2). However, it just depends. One year, they hosted a Friday morning game at the Carrier Dome and Syracuse played their game Friday night. Then two quadrupleheaders the next two days. And schools varied greatly in size. Section 6 had the "NFF Division", which was for schools who wanted to opt-out of the state/sectional playoffs, usually because they were the smallest of the small schools. And had their own tournament. However, they now switched the NFF schools into 8-man football, though it's not a state-wide thing just yet. But, given shrinking rural schools, it probably will catch on.

Unlike Ohio, a lot of states do co-ops, and New York does them frequently. And it's always a shame when two local rivals wind up co-oping just to keep a particular sport going. Ellicottville/Franklinville was a prime example of that. Two archrivals forced to combine just to keep playing football as their towns slowly disintegrate away.

As for quality of play. A lot of the stereotypes and preconceptions hold true.

Florida teams are incredibly fast. Their games are built on speed. Blocking and tackling was a bit weak. Texas probably has the best overall everything. Players, teams, fan support, facilities, coaching, etc. Midwest football has always been more 'ground and pound' and still hold true in the days of spread offenses and penalties favoring a passing offense. Though, you can see a slight increase in quality when you move east from Iowa toward Ohio. Or north to Minnesota. Kentucky is decent, but easily behind Ohio. Tennessee is a tad worse for wear overall. Mountain west states tend to be hit or miss. Wyoming, Montana, and North Dakota even are just 'there'. They're for the fun of the game. Nothing flashly, just a team sport played by team players. A lot of community pride among the smaller towns.

I'll write a recap of my travels after the season as I do every year.

The others are on Yappi's National Football Forum page if you feel like searching. I'm not about to and then linking 6 or 7 reports.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Very interesting, thanks.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:51 pm Yes I have seen it and it looks great but I can't see going to an high school game, that has NFL restrictions.

Just me.
What the hell are you talking about????

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:00 pm Camera Bag
Field glasses bag
Food or drink(Smarter than many who buy at the prices charged at a high school game held in a college or pro stadium)
(Take those two items to each game)

Umbrella when needed

Go enjoy the games and have fun.

I will be going to W. VA and/or Indiana doing the same.
And I will be going to PA to catch Saturday playoff games.
More fun.

I plan on calling the stadium on Wednesday to find out what is and what is not true, just in case I decided to go to the Thursday night game.
Guy travels hundreds of miles and yet complains about the most trivial things, programs, smuggling in food, parking, dates, times, locations. Just do us all a favor and boycott the games. If you'd rather watch games in West Virginia at a high school stadium, please feel free.

Sykotyk
Waterboy

Post by Sykotyk »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:58 pm
LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:00 pm Camera Bag
Field glasses bag
Food or drink(Smarter than many who buy at the prices charged at a high school game held in a college or pro stadium)
(Take those two items to each game)

Umbrella when needed

Go enjoy the games and have fun.

I will be going to W. VA and/or Indiana doing the same.
And I will be going to PA to catch Saturday playoff games.
More fun.

I plan on calling the stadium on Wednesday to find out what is and what is not true, just in case I decided to go to the Thursday night game.
Guy travels hundreds of miles and yet complains about the most trivial things, programs, smuggling in food, parking, dates, times, locations. Just do us all a favor and boycott the games. If you'd rather watch games in West Virginia at a high school stadium, please feel free.
So that's the only deciding factor? Obviously he'll travel hundreds of miles for a game so it doesn't matter about anything else?

Question remains, then, what about those who don't travel hundreds of miles. Can they complain? Or are they basically told to sit down and shut up as well?

Return to “Football”