Waverly(27) @ (31)West

seasick80
All State

Re: WK 8 SOC 2: Waverly (5-2) vs. Portsmouth West (7-0)

Post by seasick80 »

Smurray, I thought waverly would get the big yards what happened? I know the announcers in early 4th I think said about was waverly about throwing behind wide open receivers. West rush that good?
Last edited by seasick80 on Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

smurray wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:14 pm First off: Congratulations to West on the win. They did enough to come away with the W.

Secondly: Kuddos to the Waverly kids for playing your butts off and leaving it all on the field.

Third: with all the West going to kill Waverly hype there is absolutely no moral victories in the 31-27 loss tonight. There are no moral victories in the three losses being to undefeated teams.
Waverly should have walked out of there with the W tonight.
Is West a good team? Yes
Is West a great team? No
I think we all knew it would be a high scoring affair with West not stopping the pass and Waverly not stopping the run.
Could Waverly stop the run? No
Could Waverly stop the West QB from killing them on two 3rd and very longs and another 4th down run from around the 31 to the 1? NO
But, the Tigers did hold the Senators to 31 points which should have been good enough to win.
I don’t know what the passing stats were for Waverly but they could have thrown it for another 150 yards and at least two more scores.
No way, no how could West guard Waverly’s WR’s. Waverly has 3 of the best WR’s in the area with Jordan back tonight and no way West guards them.

Now Waverly has to finish this thing out with wins against Minford and River Valley and hope it’s good enough to make the playoffs at 7-3.
If it is they’ll be a 7 or 8 seed.
Well said. Good luck to your tigers the rest of the way!
Also just want to say, I sat on the waverly side tonight! Awesome fans!

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

seasick80 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:24 pm Smurray, I thought waverly would get the big yards what happened? I know the announcers in early 4th I think said about was waverly about throwing behind wide open receivers. West rush that good?
Waverly had close to 300 yards passing...

seasick80
All State

Post by seasick80 »

I give up on edits lol. Waverly about that rushed or just off target or scheme change?

seasick80
All State

Post by seasick80 »

Thx BurgGrad6 I didn’t listen to first half

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

West pretty much shut the run game down. West has a decent run defense. Their line gets good pressure on pass plays as well but their Dbs just struggle in coverage

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

West had several opportunities for the knockout punch and missed. The first, allowing a 98-yard Kickoff return. Second, a miscue on a hand-off on 3rd and goal, resulting in a FG. Third, A bad pass interference penalty on 3rd down, to where the CB got caught looking in the backfield and let the receiver run right by him and had to grab the WRs arm with the ball in the air. Finally, a missed 30-yd FG that the kicker usually makes with his eyes closed. West let Waverly keep hanging around, but the Senators were in complete control, just never could put it away.

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

I don’t know what West’s QB’s last name is, but I’m guessing it’s Houdini! Wow, we had him so many times (once for what looked like a safety from my angle) and he continuously made huge plays. Obviously our tackling is not very good, but I have to give the West kids credit. Their line fought hard, and the tailback is a dandy...fights tooth and nail for everything he gets! And although the QB may not be a true passer, he hit the big one on us after escaping some serious heat.

All that being said, West doesn’t have anybody on their team who can match the speed you’ll see vs Burg (no disrespect to West...we got waxed by 6 TD’s). It could get ugly!

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

vladimir wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:39 pm West had several opportunities for the knockout punch and missed. The first, allowing a 98-yard Kickoff return. Second, a miscue on a hand-off on 3rd and goal, resulting in a FG. Third, A bad pass interference penalty on 3rd down, to where the CB got caught looking in the backfield and let the receiver run right by him and had to grab the WRs arm with the ball in the air. Finally, a missed 30-yd FG that the kicker usually makes with his eyes closed. West let Waverly keep hanging around, but the Senators were in complete control, just never could put it away.
I will agree for the most part that west was in control.. however waverly had some costly mistakes as well. 2 missed tackles that would have been a safety! 3 missed tackles on a 3rd and long that ended up being a pass on the back side that put west deep in tiger territory that resulted in a score. The list goes on. It was an even game. Neither team was really better than the other. West just got the breaks. It was a fun game to watch!

West Side Pride
All Conference

Post by West Side Pride »

I Know we'll bring hell game 10, period.....but worse case we end up 9-1 and still host...yeah I can live with that!

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

At this point, I’m rooting for all of our SOC brethren!

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

Omg you guys only beat waverly by 4 and allowed 27..

Winners never quit. And quitters never win! Vince Lombardi
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Well my upset didn't quite happen, but then again I think it showed more into exactly what West is. One of their best games is against a Coal Grove team early in the season. Thought it was going to be Raceland but they've since dropped another game . West QB really struggles sounds like seeing over that line and if Waverly makes the tackle who knows what happens. Difference between West playing Waverly and Burg I think is early in the game. Waverly had just drove down the field for the score, and the defense forced a 3 and out and Waverly's offense is sitting on their own 40. They were unable to move the ball on that drive and I felt that was an early miscue from Waverly as they needed to take it right back down the field and score put West in a 2 score hole and playing from behind a position they're not comfortable with. Burg in that instance will step on the gas and they won't misfire like Waverly did on that crucial early game drive. No shame in going 9-1 and hosting a playoff game if you're West. Good Luck in week 10. For Waverly finish out 7-3 try to get a little healthier and get some of those freshman who are getting a lot of playing time to grow up quick fast and in a hurry maybe move up a spot to 7 and take on Taft and avoid traveling to Germantown Valley View.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Hard faught game. Waverly's quarterback is great. On those hitches to the outside he throws to a spot and they are there. Very tough to stop at any level especially high school. That other reciever being back really helped.

The kickoff return was big. Drew just missed the endzone. Maybe it's outkicking your coverage, maybe it's a little complacency on the kickoff team, but the return was a big play. Seemed like a couple times West was ready to put the game away, but Waverly wouldn't quit.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

West Side Pride wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:53 pm I Know we'll bring hell game 10, period.....but worse case we end up 9-1 and still host...yeah I can live with that!
Absolutely. We could loose the last three and this would still be a great season. Very proud of this team how they play so hard the right way.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

seasick80 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:24 pm Smurray, I thought waverly would get the big yards what happened? I know the announcers in early 4th I think said about was waverly about throwing behind wide open receivers. West rush that good?
Like I said, I don't know the stats but Waverly had to have close to 300 yards passing, could have been much more. NO, throws weren't behind wide open receivers and the West rush wasn't anything spectacular. I remember two sacks. Howell did miss one open receiver on a 4th down pass but he didn't miss many and no picks.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Piketon, Zane Trace, Unioto, Fairland, Valley all won last night for all important secondary points for Waverly who remains 8 in region 16.
No moral victories in that but all the Tigers can do now is play for Tiger pride and a playoff spot.

rollside1
Waterboy

Post by rollside1 »

Great game last night for west. Waverly’s passing game was strong and they completed some big passes and had some big plays but that’s just getting the boys ready for week 10 and the playoffs. I agree with westfan, West was ready to put the game away and waverly wasn’t stopping, That’s why the score ended up being like it was.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

rollside1 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:27 am Great game last night for west. Waverly’s passing game was strong and they completed some big passes and had some big plays but that’s just getting the boys ready for week 10 and the playoffs. I agree with westfan, West was ready to put the game away and waverly wasn’t stopping, That’s why the score ended up being like it was.
????????? 🙄 You’re kidding. Waverly didn’t stop playing? I thought they would just roll over and say you can have it. That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever read. West COULDN’T put the game away. They had chances but Waverly gave them everything they wanted and more. A few plays go the other way and that score is reversed.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

You have to ask yourself, did Waverly play last night the way they should have against Burg? Or did they expose a more accurate picture of what West's level of play is?

Return to “Football”