Waverly(27) @ (31)West

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Re: WK 8 SOC 2: Waverly (5-2) vs. Portsmouth West (7-0)

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

noles_fan wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:29 pm So just a little question. Burg posters are big about comparing common opponents so here is a comparison i'm having a little trouble with. Burg's defense gave up 20 points to Waverly, the exact number of points that West's defense gave up. Burg gave up 225 through the air on 18-28 while West gave up 214 on 22-30 (with according to the Waverly posters one of their best athletes back). So the question is by the philosophy of common opponents wouldn't this make West's defense as good as burgs?

On the other hand the Burg put up 62 points on Waverly and won by 42 points while West was only able to up 31. I think the Pirates actually scored 28 in one quarter alone. If West had trouble stopping Waverlys passing game then they will never cover Holden, Lowery, Carmichael, Dyer, etc.

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:10 am
noles_fan wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:29 pm So just a little question. Burg posters are big about comparing common opponents so here is a comparison i'm having a little trouble with. Burg's defense gave up 20 points to Waverly, the exact number of points that West's defense gave up. Burg gave up 225 through the air on 18-28 while West gave up 214 on 22-30 (with according to the Waverly posters one of their best athletes back). So the question is by the philosophy of common opponents wouldn't this make West's defense as good as burgs?

On the other hand the Burg put up 62 points on Waverly and won by 42 points while West was only able to up 31. I think the Pirates actually scored 28 in one quarter alone. If West had trouble stopping Waverlys passing game then they will never cover Holden, Lowery, Carmichael, Dyer, etc.
Clearly you missed the point all together or just didn't read it. The post was about comparing defenses it had nothing to do with burgs offense.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

noles_fan wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:14 am

Clearly you missed the point all together or just didn't read it. The post was about comparing defenses it had nothing to do with burgs offense.
I thought Waverly scored 27 on West?

bleed_blue
Varsity

Post by bleed_blue »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:00 am

Im guessing a special teams is not being considered as a touchdown scored on their defense.

Going off that logic of comparing scores wouldn't Wheelersburg have the better defense considering they only allowed 6 points to fairland whereas west gave up 18? I think Wheelersburg's defense is giving up and average of around 8 points a game compared to around 13 for West.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Burg has outscored their opponents 329-67 or something like that. The defense has only allowed 8.375 ppg while scoring 41.125 ppg. West has outscored their opponents 267-99. With their defense allowing around 12.375 ppg and scoring 33.375 ppg. West does have a decent defense based on those numbers. While Wheelersburg is giving up a little over 1 score a game. Burg looks to have the better defense and offense. The difference in this game will be the depth that the Pirates have. By the 3rd quarter it will be evident. The pirates are the better TEAM.

Burg4
JV Team

Post by Burg4 »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:44 am Burg has outscored their opponents 329-67 or something like that. The defense has only allowed 8.375 ppg while scoring 41.125 ppg. West has outscored their opponents 267-99. With their defense allowing around 12.375 ppg and scoring 33.375 ppg. West does have a decent defense based on those numbers. While Wheelersburg is giving up a little over 1 score a game. Burg looks to have the better defense and offense. The difference in this game will be the depth that the Pirates have. By the 3rd quarter it will be evident. The pirates are the better TEAM.
Jolly P- After Friday Burg has now outscored their opponents 376-67. The scoring average is 47 a game. I find that a stat remarkable since Burg has rarely played starters past halftime/early 3rd quarter. The 67 points on defense includes games like Minford Friday, where Minford scored 7 on the very last play of the game against Burg 3rd/4th string. I would be interested to know how many points Burg defensive starters have allowed.

Anyhow, Congrats to West on a big win Friday night. The difference between last years West 3-7 team and this years team is significant. Waverly is a very good team and West pulled it out. This week games for both teams will be no problems. Week 10 will be an electric environment at The Ed and hopefully Spectrum Sports Ohio will come from Columbus and broadcast the game like they tweeted.

I would love to see Burg starters play a full game Week 10 to see how many points they rack up and prevent West from scoring, and to get ready for the playoffs. West has had 2 running clocks, Burg has had 7 running clocks. If Burg starters play a full game, I predict another running clock. GO BURG!

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Burg4 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:46 am I would love to see Burg starters play a full game Week 10 to see how many points they rack up and prevent West from scoring, and to get ready for the playoffs. West has had 2 running clocks, Burg has had 7 running clocks. If Burg starters play a full game, I predict another running clock. GO BURG!
Quotes like this are hard to handle. Arrogance. But whatever. Wheelersburg was a class program fans and coaches. That is gone.
It's exactly why a large portion of the county won't support them in the playoffs.

Wheelersburg has a very good team. They will probably be a significant favorite in the game.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Westfan wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:58 am
Burg4 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:46 am I would love to see Burg starters play a full game Week 10 to see how many points they rack up and prevent West from scoring, and to get ready for the playoffs. West has had 2 running clocks, Burg has had 7 running clocks. If Burg starters play a full game, I predict another running clock. GO BURG!
Quotes like this are hard to handle. Arrogance. But whatever. Wheelersburg was a class program fans and coaches. That is gone.
It's exactly why a large portion of the county won't support them in the playoffs.

Wheelersburg has a very good team. They will probably be a significant favorite in the game.
I know quite few people from Minford. They all said it was hard not to cheer on the Burg, even against their own team. Lol You may not want to cheer for them in the playoffs and that’s fine. We really don’t need you. Burg will have plenty people along with them at every post season game. Suck it up sissy.

Burg4
JV Team

Post by Burg4 »

Westfan wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:58 am by Jolly P(irate) » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:08 am

Not arrogance and pretty easy to handle. I was very complimentary on the West Win Friday night and the improvement West has made from last year. I stated facts about the running clock numbers from this year. I made my prediction. Hey if both teams play full games, we will see how close the programs really are. Can't believe you selected one part of my whole post and made your "opinion" just like I made mine. Support your team, I'll support mine.

PirateBB
Freshman Team

Post by PirateBB »

Interesting...who was that guy quoting?

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

It's a statement, not a quote.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Westfan wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:44 am It's a statement, not a quote.
But you clearly stated that it was a quote.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:07 pm
It was a mistake. I admit mine.

Wonder if your parents admit theirs? :lol:

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Westfan wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:06 pm

I was the best mistake they ever made. 😜

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:59 pm
Westfan wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:06 pm

I was the best mistake they ever made. 😜
lol I agree jolly!!

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

Yup 20 points on the defense and 7 off of a kick return.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

noles_fan wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:43 pm

They didn’t defend that? I’m confused. They just kicked it to them and let them score? That’s so crazy, it may actually work.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

I actually did mention the defense of West when I said if they couldn't stop Waverlys passing game they will struggle covering the Pirates array of receivers. Salyers is one of the best I have seen in a while at finding the open man and hitting them in stride.

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

noles_fan wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:43 pm

Burg fumbled at their own 30 yard line to give Waverly a short field to work with thats how they scored their first 7 points the next score came on like a 72 yd pass play that Burgs defensive back tripped up and then Waverlys last score came on Burgs 2nd or 3rd team defense in all honesty Waverly would have had only one score on that long pass if it wasnt for Burgs mistakes but hey thats what happens sometimes so IMO West has a good defense and they have turned their program around and hopefully they are good for years to come that would make the soc2 division exciting also IMO I dont think West would beat Jackson or Bishop Watterson but we will see in week 10 so good luck to both teams in finishing out the regular season and in the playoffs! GO BURG!

Burg grad 85
Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:07 pm

I actually did mention the defense of West when I said if they couldn't stop Waverlys passing game they will struggle covering the Pirates array of receivers. Salyers is one of the best I have seen in a while at finding the open man and hitting them in stride.
Reading proficiency wasn’t his thing 77.

Return to “Football”