Steubenville Scheduling-Home Field Adavantage

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: Steubenville Scheduling-Home Field Adavantage

Post by Orange and Brown »

greygoose wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:57 pm Believe I'd have to see the 7,000 before I believe it especially when it's mentioned opposing teams don't travel well bringing 100-200 ppl. Division 4 school in an where 18,000 live and 7,000 of them attend high school football game??? Yeah not sure I'll buy that hype train, obviously others will go there just to watch a game but not to the point of driving up attendance to that level.
I went down the year Athens played them. They had maybe 3,500 home fans at that game. It rained at halftime so 75% of those people left before the 3rd quarter started.
Their we're quite a few folks from Athens at the game but it's been long enough I can't put a number on it lol

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Orange and Brown wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:00 pm
greygoose wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:57 pm Believe I'd have to see the 7,000 before I believe it especially when it's mentioned opposing teams don't travel well bringing 100-200 ppl. Division 4 school in an where 18,000 live and 7,000 of them attend high school football game??? Yeah not sure I'll buy that hype train, obviously others will go there just to watch a game but not to the point of driving up attendance to that level.
I went down the year Athens played them. They had maybe 3,500 home fans at that game. It rained at halftime so 75% of those people left before the 3rd quarter started.
Their we're quite a few folks from Athens at the game but it's been long enough I can't put a number on it lol
Now that number I'd probably buy into, although that year Athens was the cream of the crop and probably quite a few people there to watch Burrows (being a OSU commit) and the Athens RB. Having a team like that come in tends to bring more people in for the game. They're not going to go 7,000 strong against some team that brings 100-200 fans tells me all I need to know about who they schedule at that point. It is pretty funny though 2 away games really??? Do they pay that good to come there or can they not find their way out of the county??? I say that because had a coach that told players you can go outside the county it's ok the world doesn't fall off at the county line. :D

outerbanksjake
JV Team

Post by outerbanksjake »

Steubenville home side seats 5,000 , always filled with home fans. Between the 40 's on the visitors side is reserved for Steubenville school employees and their family's, filled. Most local valley fans like myself sit on the visitors side from the 40 on down, either east or west. Endzones are for the bands and other school kids. 7000 thousand average. Capacity is 10,000. Not sure there are more then a few schools in all Ohio that draw that well, especially considering the size of Steubenville.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

outerbanksjake wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:35 pm Steubenville home side seats 5,000 , always filled with home fans. Between the 40 's on the visitors side is reserved for Steubenville school employees and their family's, filled. Most local valley fans like myself sit on the visitors side from the 40 on down, either east or west. Endzones are for the bands and other school kids. 7000 thousand average. Capacity is 10,000. Not sure there are more then a few schools in all Ohio that draw that well, especially considering the size of Steubenville.
Coldwater and Marion local draw pretty big crowds.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

About 5 years ago the ECOL big school (Dover, New Philly, Zanesville, Cambridge, Marietta) voted to allow Steubenville in. It got to the Steubenville school board and they said no. Too far to send kids. It was for all sports. Cambridge was against it.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

teach1coach2 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:08 pm About 5 years ago the ECOL big school (Dover, New Philly, Zanesville, Cambridge, Marietta) voted to allow Steubenville in. It got to the Steubenville school board and they said no. Too far to send kids. It was for all sports. Cambridge was against it.
Was looking those up in terms of travel and yeah I have to agree for a league, especially incorporating all sports there's some pretty good drives in that mix. One of the reasons the SEOAL fell apart was the logistics between schools involved. Question is with Steubenville is there any other league closer to home they can get in or are they simply content with having 7-8 home games a year with no shot at a league title??

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Been a couple times way back when I was working in the Wheeling WV area and decided to catch a game. Can't even remember who they played, Ursuline or Mooney maybe, but at any rate it was a good experience. They take their football serious lol for sure maybe too serious. I thought they gave Athens the opportunity for a home and home but the Bulldogs declined the return visit by Big Red the following year. Nothing wrong being an independent and having a bunch of home games, honestly Big Red is being an advocate for their kids and parents by doing so. No league, well that's fine we will play 8 home games and contend for a State title and travel there for that.

wrestlefan
JV Team

Post by wrestlefan »

chillicothe won a game on their field in like 2002
it was some serious home cookin
i have no clue how we won-- the refs did absolutely everything to give steubenville the game
730 start time- they come and get our captains and say they have to do the coin toss early
then all of a sudden they take the field and try to kick off- we get a penalty-
they say they are starting the game at 7.
lol... it was really bad the whole game

outerbanksjake
JV Team

Post by outerbanksjake »

Let me be a little more clear. I'm not saying every single Steubenville home game has 7000 in attendence, many have less, depending on opponent. By season's end the total average is about 7000.

sapientia et veritas
Freshman Team

Post by sapientia et veritas »

Raider6309 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:40 pm They wouldn't let us stand by it
DeSales doesn't let me piss on theirs.

s.v.vikinglinex2
Varsity

Post by s.v.vikinglinex2 »

I lived in Steubenville for 18 months while I worked up there and anyone that enjoys high school football must go to a game there. My all time favorite place!! RRR

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

sapientia et veritas wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:43 pm
Raider6309 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:40 pm They wouldn't let us stand by it
DeSales doesn't let me piss on theirs.
You would think they wouldn’t mind. Desales fans love their holy liquor

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

Steubenville isn't alone I remember seeing Massilons schedule on their stadium and they only had one road game against their rival rest was home games.
And that one away game was McKinley now not saying every year is like that but they don't go on the road much at all history gives them a lot of lead way in scheduling.

Sitting watching the sun set over the dessert.
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

maniac66 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:56 pm Steubenville isn't alone I remember seeing Massilons schedule on their stadium and they only had one road game against their rival rest was home games.
And that one away game was McKinley now not saying every year is like that but they don't go on the road much at all history gives them a lot of lead way in scheduling.
Yeah in looking at the last 3-4 yrs typically 3 away games is all.

Return to “Football”