Logan is at a crossroad

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Re: Logan is at a crossroad

Post by dazed&confused »

More Burke ball. My wife will re-up our tickets. I'll attend one game. Yea athletic dept.

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse
Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

When assistants have been around for years, but the program that used to win starts to lose and there has been a change in head coach, don't blame the assistants. They are using the new coach's O and D. Kids who leave a program leave because of change and not because it's the long time established program. This isn't rocket science. The HC reflects the personality of the program, the evaluation and use of players at positions, the O and D to be used, strategy to be employed, the discipline used, in total, the program is a reflection of the HC's control. He is responsible for all.

Now, evaluate all aspects of the program.

Have gun, will travel
dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

I'll ask the old Reagan question to Logan fans. Are you better off now than you were 4 years ago?

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

Yes and No. We are better than 1-9 but stag-net at 6-4 or 500.

AT THE RESERVATION
moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

I will answer this question after the 2018 season!

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

Stay the course. So is the win total for 2018 at 3? Over/under?

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

I'd say 2 maybe 3. Meigs, Warren and maybe Athens.

AT THE RESERVATION
moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

1987chieftains wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:49 am I'd say 2 maybe 3. Meigs, Warren and maybe Athens.
OMG Warren drop us so if we are luckily 1 win and major changes! :mrgreen:

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

When a good high school football coach begins spring or summer practice sessions. There are many questions and needs he has to answer and figure out from a vast talent pool of high school athletes for his team. Looking at measurable qualities such as height, weight, speed and strength help to determine where a player might be best positioned. Intangible qualities such as desire, work ethic, toughness and dedication also play an important role in helping a high school football coach determine his teams make up.

Usually a smart winning high school football coach will have weight training sessions going on year round. This helps the players to work on improving strength, speed and size. Most coaches work in the weight room supervising and monitoring their respective player's individual progress through out the year. This gives a coach a year round perspective into a player on an individual basis.

If a player is dedicated and works hard substantial physical improvements can be achieved and this usually translates in to more success on the field. Coaches look for improvements in areas of strength gains in certain lifts. These lifts primarily include the squat, bench press, power clean and dead lift. These individual exercises help a coach to measure a player's improvement in muscle strength and power. A good coach will also test a player in speed and agility drills to measure improvements in speed and conditioning. These drills are the 40 yard dash, a T drill and the vertical jump. All of the tests provide a coach with measurable physical improvements as well as provide a personal look into an individual player.

For a coach to see a player work hard in the weight room on a year round basis this can provide much more then just lifting improvements. A coach can see positive character traits begin to develop such as dedication, work ethic and toughness. Unfortunately the converse can also begin to show itself. When a coach notices a player not work hard in the weight room and be inconsistent with attendance this usually can show unfavorable characteristics. If a player is unwilling to work in the off season and dedicate himself to improving he tends to labeled as lazy, selfish or an underachiever.

Coaches look for a broad scope of physical, mental and personal characteristics in potential football players. The physical and mental demands football puts on the human body are harder then any other sport. High school coaches usually work with players for four to five years. This helps to develop and build a foundation of understanding into what each player is made up of character wise and what personality traits they possess.

For a coach having football players that show things such as dedication, a work ethic and continuous effort provide the sharpest insight into what impresses them. These qualities provide a basis for an athlete to work hard in the weight room, practice hard on the field and give maximum effort during a game. During a year a team only plays about ten actual football games. So the hundreds of practices and weight training sessions are where a positive impact and impression can be made to a coach. This is what good football coaches on the high school level looks for most.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Pretty good post trench, only problem is you can lead a horse to water but he might not drink. The kids have to have motivation to do it themselves if they want to get better, coaches can only do so much. I'm not sure if OHSAA rules would permit them to have year around mandatory sessions. So if it's on a voluntary basis it is up to the kids to get it done and put the work in. You have personally told me in past years they were hitting weights hard in the offseason but it wasn't translating on the field for whatever reason.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Never know if the horse will/won't drink if he isn't led there at all. Nothing in the rule book that says weight room for football players is off limits year round. I myself told you no such thing every player was hitting the weights hard. You must have missed understood. A few dedicated that I know of over the years has been hitting the weights hard year round. I never mentioned all. Never has been mandatory year round that I can remember. Lots of teams has mandatory weight sessions. and their on field records speaks for itself. Not all can from other sports they are in, but the majority should be lifting imo.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

i know i've seen it mention on here before " recruit the hall" but in all seriousness how much day to day interaction do the coaches do with a kid or kids to draw interest to the program?

AT THE RESERVATION
loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Paladin -

Was at OSU football practice on Friday. Walked into the Woody with the Warren G Harding Raiders. Immediately thought about you.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Does Logan bring back a lot?

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Raider6309 wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:14 pm Does Logan bring back a lot?
Return a lot. Whether that's good or not, haha. Need to rebuild on offensive line.

Key Losses: Brady Walsh (QB/S), Dakota Dement (OL), Kamryn Carter (OL), Dakota Stiffarm (OL), Tucker Wilson (OL), Cymon Rooker (DL), Casey Heft (WR/CB), Carter Hodson (DL)

Key Returnees: Preston Yates (RB), Trevor Horner (RB), Jeromy Weaver (H/LB), Wes Brooks (WR/DB), Landon LIttle (WR/DB), Sam Hall (TE/DE), Clay Risch (OL), Sam Kisor (OL), Trevor Wyckoff (OL), Josh Chapin (DL), Conner Ruff (LB), Colton Ruff (LB), Aaron Magdich (DB), Israel Bookman (K)

Braden Spatar is the likely QB. He played some receiver toward the end of last year. Solid athlete, but a little small for a QB. More of a runner than a thrower. Will be interesting to see what Logan does on offense.

Defense has the personnel to be good. Return a lot on that side of the ball. Could play well, but also were inconsistent.

Don't know who from last years freshman team are most likely to make an impact. They had a nice year. Some good size and some nice athletes.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Locos --Warren G. Harding is very similar to Logan. Tons of athletes in the halls, a coach who is having failing seasons (last year was 3-7) and not much on the horizon. In their case , however, they usually have several D-I recruits each year and natives are getting restless.

Very surprised. You sure it wasn't the indoor track athletes and not the football team ?

Have gun, will travel
loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Paladin wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:07 pm Locos --Warren G. Harding is very similar to Logan. Tons of athletes in the halls, a coach who is having failing seasons (last year was 3-7) and not much on the horizon. In their case , however, they usually have several D-I recruits each year and natives are getting restless.

Very surprised. You sure it wasn't the indoor track athletes and not the football team ?
They were wearing football jerseys. But it definitely wasn't a full roster. Probably 25 maybe 30 kids.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

Read with interest about the off season conditioning and weight lifting. A lot of it is on the individual athlete and his desire to prepare himself for the regular season. But some must come from upper classmen setting the example and peer pressuring the others to participate. Coaches must make the commitment to be there and to support a complete conditioning program. That's why it's called a program. All facets must contribute to the success of the team.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Locos-- if the kids from WGH had size, it probably was the football team. They have a D-I RB this year and a few good OL with size. However WGH's Coach Arnold has a brother who was a big star at that school up North and he is always recruiting for them, lol. Urban may be keeping the red carpet out lest he lose future players.

Have gun, will travel
TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

dazed&confused wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:02 am Coaches must make the commitment to be there and to support a complete conditioning program. That's why it's called a program. All facets must contribute to the success of the team.
Very much agree. ;)

Return to “Football”