Logan is at a crossroad

Paladin
SEOP

Re: Logan is at a crossroad

Post by Paladin »

Logan has changed quite a bit since I grew up there. Many families and their tree branches still live there. But overall, Logan has changed with lots of people who have moved in, attracted by cheaper cost of living to commute to Columbus, Lancaster, etc for work. Tradition is still there but with fewer natives around. I'll be the first to say that Logan infrequently comes up with a year where they are way down in wins. But to be non competitive , I can only recall the times where teacher strikes and bad boards produced that rare phenomenon . Logan, in its history, had only 4 Frosh who started and lettered. Then, recently you have 4 in ONE year. I have never seen that ANYWHERE , except where you see teams with 20 or fewer players and numbers force that to happen. Kids don't always come out for football, but when they do and then drop out, it's problematic. And I've said before, if kids do not. Like or respect their coach, or both, trouble always follows. There's lots of reg flags at Logan.

The question is, do you have enough people who care and are they willing to do what's called for if a careful review points to a problem ?

Have gun, will travel
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Plenty of 9th graders have went through football at Logan that could have played for the varsity. Just think the coaches might have been against it.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

We should do have to bring up 9th graders, almost all of them are not ready as of yet!

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

dazed&confused wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:52 am I will say only this. I have been a season ticket holder for 15 years. Because I have a limited history with Logan, some may look down on my opinion. That's the problem right there. 10 years ago, when Logan was moving into the new stadium, they had to add reserve seating because of the demand. Those days are gone. Last season I attended ONE game. My seats were empty the other 4. Yes, they were paid for so they generated revenue. I am seriously thinking through this next season. When I did attend, I noticed quite a few empty areas of the stadium. Does the demise of the SEOAL play a part in that? Possibly? Does the overall performance of the program have a part in it? Undoubtedly. But I think the bigger reason is the acceptance of a new standard by the community. If I had graduated from good old Logan, maybe I wouldn't think twice about renewing my tickets. And I know they're just kids playing a game. But I don't feel there is a passion for football there anymore. And doing the same thing over again and expecting different results is the definition of insanity. So I just ask this and expect no real answer......are we going to do the same thing going forward? My wallet is awaiting the answer.
Awesome post Daze and very true! If your product is no good, nobody wants it.

AT THE RESERVATION
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

moonshine wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:28 am We should do have to bring up 9th graders, almost all of them are not ready as of yet!
But college will play a 18 year old with 5th year seniors {22}...I know you are going to say ...but that is different :roll:

I didn't say bring up all of them...like you said ALMOST all of them...so in your own words you are saying some should be brought up as I stated above when saying 9th graders could have played.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

1987chieftains wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:59 am
dazed&confused wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:52 am I will say only this. I have been a season ticket holder for 15 years. Because I have a limited history with Logan, some may look down on my opinion. That's the problem right there. 10 years ago, when Logan was moving into the new stadium, they had to add reserve seating because of the demand. Those days are gone. Last season I attended ONE game. My seats were empty the other 4. Yes, they were paid for so they generated revenue. I am seriously thinking through this next season. When I did attend, I noticed quite a few empty areas of the stadium. Does the demise of the SEOAL play a part in that? Possibly? Does the overall performance of the program have a part in it? Undoubtedly. But I think the bigger reason is the acceptance of a new standard by the community. If I had graduated from good old Logan, maybe I wouldn't think twice about renewing my tickets. And I know they're just kids playing a game. But I don't feel there is a passion for football there anymore. And doing the same thing over again and expecting different results is the definition of insanity. So I just ask this and expect no real answer......are we going to do the same thing going forward? My wallet is awaiting the answer.
Do you change the product or improve it? Either way what would be the first step?

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

noreply66 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:43 pm
Do you change the product or improve it? Either way what would be the first step?
"Let him who has ears, let him hear"

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse
cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

noreply66 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:05 am Plenty of 9th graders have went through football at Logan that could have played for the varsity. Just think the coaches might have been against it.
So true! Amyx just recently said in a radio interview during a game that he had quite a few players who were talented enough to bring up as freshmen but it was against his personal philosophy to do that.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Logan never really brought freshmen up even before Amyx. Just wasn't Logan's norm to do that.

NY BUCKS
All State

Post by NY BUCKS »

Whiz is reporting that Zanesville is looking for a new league.

MoCoSportsGuy
JV Team

Post by MoCoSportsGuy »

Both WHIZ and Zanesville Times Recorder said Zanesville HS sent out a press release that they are actively exploring starting a new league that would include Logan, Lancaster, Canal Winchester, Groveport-Madison, Reynoldsburg, Teays Valley with Newark and Watkins Memorial also showing interest.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

MoCoSportsGuy wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:59 pm Both WHIZ and Zanesville Times Recorder said Zanesville HS sent out a press release that they are actively exploring starting a new league that would include Logan, Lancaster, Canal Winchester, Groveport-Madison, Reynoldsburg, Teays Valley with Newark and Watkins Memorial also showing interest.
Sweet

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Excellent news, hope this works out.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

moonshine wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:03 am
Paladin wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:38 pm I'm curious. Has Logan checked out who is coming out for football next year before making a decision on a coach contract ?
All I know is that there is a major announcement coming soon! :mrgreen:
day four and no announcement :?:

12/06/17 :?:
12/07/17 :?:
12/08/17 :?:
12/09/17 :?:

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

noreply66 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:48 pm
Paladin wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:38 pm I'm curious. Has Logan checked out who is coming out for football next year before making a decision on a coach contract ?
day four and no announcement :?:

My sources said it could be Mid to Late January b-4 this possible announcement might be made! :mrgreen:

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

noreply66 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:43 pm
If this was 1-3 years into his run then I'd say tweek it. But we're on year 5-6 and no signs of improving. Not know the inside skinny, I don't know what you do. Is there a coming to Jesus meeting with the AD and staff or do you replace pieces of the staff from outside. In my profession, if your not producing, your gone.

AT THE RESERVATION
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

12/10/17 :?:
12/11/17 :?:

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

I don't see the harm in playing certain freshmen on the varsity team. NY has always done this. You will always have a few 9th graders with the talent that can play varsity.

CruiserChief95
Waterboy

Post by CruiserChief95 »

Talks among AD's have been nothing but positive about this new league. Here is the list of interested schools:
Logan
Teays Valley
Groveport
Reynoldsburg
Whitehall
Licking Heights
Watkins Memorial
Zanesville
Lancaster
Newark
Canal Winchester
Last edited by CruiserChief95 on Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

NYBuckeye96 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:02 am I don't see the harm in playing certain freshmen on the varsity team. NY has always done this. You will always have a few 9th graders with the talent that can play varsity.
I don't think Paladin's point is that Logan SHOULD or SHOULD NOT play freshmen.

The point IS that Logan has rarely - if ever - needed to. Logan's program has always been healthy enough to keep freshmen together AS A CLASS, then bringing them into the Varsity as sophomores.

I don't have a problem with any coaching staff changing direction and integrating more freshman - but I'm nor sure this was about a "want" for the program, but about the NEED. When four freshmen lettered two years ago, two of them became indispensable players. And while both are very talented, I don't think either is going to be playing D1 college football.

There is no doubt players like Patrick Angle and the Conrad brothers had the ability to contribute as freshmen. Many others through the years as well. Heck - even Keith Myers and Kelly Wolfe - while playing as freshmen - didn't earn Varsity letters.

The coaching staffs through history have had the option NOT to play that talent until they were sophomores. This staff doesn't. It s symptom of the problem.

Return to “Football”