Logan is at a crossroad

countywide35
SEOP

Re: Logan is at a crossroad

Post by countywide35 »

tradition rich Logan wont be down forever.......they will find a league to call home and teams that kick the Chiefs while they are down will come back to haunt them when the Chiefs are rolling high again.......

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

After losing to an awful 0-8 Ross team, Logan faces an even worse Warren team. Warren is one of the worst teams in the state. Given the state of the Logan program, people will watch this one closely. With all the athletes and athletic ability at Logan, could this be another embarrassment ?

Have gun, will travel
Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Warren is rated by Pasteur as 102 out of 107 D-III teams in the state and ranked at #609 overall. They are 0-8 going into their game with Linsley (WV) tonite, who will absolutely kill them. They are best described as horrible.

Have gun, will travel
Logan_Buckeye
Freshman Team

Post by Logan_Buckeye »

This falls back on the "fair weather" fans also.. The community has lost some of its passion, and this is not just at the HS level. I am actively involved in many lower level sports and they have become nothing more than a baby sitting service. How do you expect a HS athlete to commit to the game, if the the community doesn't commit to its athletes. There are a ton of good kids, but a ton of "fair weather fans" and the kids all see it.. Hold the kids accountable, hold the parents accountable and hold this community accountable.. I myself do not respect the current AD, its a personal thing, but the job is being done. What I do believe is, if the current head coach is there next year, hopefully some of the existing assistants are not.. Some of them need to go, guess its a wait and see.. GO CHIEFS..

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

Logan_Buckeye wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:17 pm This falls back on the "fair weather" fans also.. The community has lost some of its passion, and this is not just at the HS level. I am actively involved in many lower level sports and they have become nothing more than a baby sitting service. How do you expect a HS athlete to commit to the game, if the the community doesn't commit to its athletes. There are a ton of good kids, but a ton of "fair weather fans" and the kids all see it.. Hold the kids accountable, hold the parents accountable and hold this community accountable.. I myself do not respect the current AD, its a personal thing, but the job is being done. What I do believe is, if the current head coach is there next year, hopefully some of the existing assistants are not.. Some of them need to go, guess its a wait and see.. GO CHIEFS..
Care to elaborate on why the head coach should get a pass if they clean house of assistants? Not an indictment, just curious?

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse
Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Me too.

Have gun, will travel
Logan_Buckeye
Freshman Team

Post by Logan_Buckeye »

dazed&confused wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:41 pm
Logan_Buckeye wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:17 pm This falls back on the "fair weather" fans also.. The community has lost some of its passion, and this is not just at the HS level. I am actively involved in many lower level sports and they have become nothing more than a baby sitting service. How do you expect a HS athlete to commit to the game, if the the community doesn't commit to its athletes. There are a ton of good kids, but a ton of "fair weather fans" and the kids all see it.. Hold the kids accountable, hold the parents accountable and hold this community accountable.. I myself do not respect the current AD, its a personal thing, but the job is being done. What I do believe is, if the current head coach is there next year, hopefully some of the existing assistants are not.. Some of them need to go, guess its a wait and see.. GO CHIEFS..
Care to elaborate on why the head coach should get a pass if they clean house of assistants? Not an indictment, just curious?
I said IF, it is my belief that he should have brought some of his own in the first place, but that didnt happen. Most likely to do with coming from out of the area and any he would want lived too far away.. I was personally hoping they would have hired the johnstown coach, that didnt happen either. So, since its been 5 years, and the program really hasn't progressed under his system, it would be difficult to retain him also.. With that being said, I would like to see a change, top to bottom.. That includes the middle school system also, they apparently are not feeding the high school with findamentaly sound kids..

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Logan_Buckeye wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:25 pm
dazed&confused wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:41 pm
I said IF, it is my belief that he should have brought some of his own in the first place, but that didnt happen. Most likely to do with coming from out of the area and any he would want lived too far away.. I was personally hoping they would have hired the johnstown coach, that didnt happen either. So, since its been 5 years, and the program really hasn't progressed under his system, it would be difficult to retain him also.. With that being said, I would like to see a change, top to bottom.. That includes the middle school system also, they apparently are not feeding the high school with findamentaly sound kids..
I have a question . Where do you find approx. 10 or 12 coaches that are not already coaching at Logan to replace the JR High thru Varsity . No quick fix here . Starts at the biddy system with technique and love of the sport. I do think the Head Coach and staff needs to have some input . It's easy to speculate the future when things are not going well. Regroup Chiefs and win your last game then work hard in the off season .

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Let's also start at the bottom and give the next head coach some input to implement his program starting with a 5th and 6th grade program of inclusion!

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

moonshine wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:25 am Let's also start at the bottom and give the next head coach some input to implement his program starting with a 5th and 6th grade program of inclusion!
Moon,
I'm sure the feeder programs would welcome support from the coaches. But the coaches have to make that commitment. It is essential that the staff encourages and supports the youth leagues, be that tackle or community flag leagues. Bottom line is the kids have to have an appreciation of the game and schooled in fundamentals.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Don't put an over reliance on youth leagues. All you want is participation and I'd opt for flag below Jr. Hi. The critical mass begins at Jr. hi with participation in tackle ball and getting to play. Player development. Respect for all players. Coaches with good interpersonal skills. Remember, you can't control volunteer coaches and have the most control over Board employees. Then again , they are a reflection of the HC's philosophy and selection of O and D to use. It's not rocket science.

Have gun, will travel
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

I'd like to see our youth league go to Flag football for 2nd and 3rd grade and tackle for 4th, 5th, and 6th grade.
That gives the kids a couple years to learn the game without hitting and then they can take what they learned up to the tackle team and work on learning those fundamentals there.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Paladin wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:10 pm Don't put an over reliance on youth leagues. All you want is participation and I'd opt for flag below Jr. Hi. The critical mass begins at Jr. hi with participation in tackle ball and getting to play. Player development. Respect for all players. Coaches with good interpersonal skills. Remember, you can't control volunteer coaches and have the most control over Board employees. Then again , they are a reflection of the HC's philosophy and selection of O and D to use. It's not rocket science.
Agree here 100%.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

All the same, there seems to be an erosion of fundamentals at the higher levels now in Logan, whatever the reason. I remember my son and his peers being schooled in tackling, blocking, pursuit angles, etc. AT THE 3RD GRADE LEVEL. That worked out pretty good when they played in JR High, freshman and varsity finally 2007-2009.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

Dazed. I wonder how much of that is taught or worked on at the HS level? How much time are we spending on fundamental things or are we just blindly thinking the lower levels are teaching that. On Saturday morning when they are watching game films are they teaching the boys how to correct the mistakes they made???
By what I see every Friday night I'd say no. Because we see the same players making the same mistakes Friday after Friday.

AT THE RESERVATION
dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

1987chieftains wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:47 am Dazed. I wonder how much of that is taught or worked on at the HS level? How much time are we spending on fundamental things or are we just blindly thinking the lower levels are teaching that. On Saturday morning when they are watching game films are they teaching the boys how to correct the mistakes they made???
By what I see every Friday night I'd say no. Because we see the same players making the same mistakes Friday after Friday.
Can't answer that. I don't know who could. I feel a little off base because I haven't seen a game this year. I'm just going off the results. As Bill Parcells said, You are what your record says you are. I'll be in the stands Friday night. I hope the seniors get a win.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Friday night when the clock shows the final 00 the Chieftains will walk off the field . The Seniors will try and hold back emotions on their final game and will hang up their pads . The Jrs will think this will be us next year and how will we feel. Things have not gone as well as most had hoped but that's why the games are played . Blame for an under achieved year runs rapid and there is reason to start conversations about changes . But a complete look from PEE WEE TO THE TOP should be evaluated. I personally think the under lined reason for the down years are no one person fault but a combination of issues that can be corrected but only if they are pin pointed . With Logans schedule next year their record will most likely be better but will that satisfy everyone . Would a better youth program sponsors by the school with input from Varsity staff ( whether tackle or Flag) help? Looking at Jr High Coaches and making sure players stay interested by their approach and evaluate players on skill rather than who's who. Sometime the little things that are improved can turn things around. Logan has had a lot of success on the gridiron and will again but not without commitment and co=operation . Unity is strength. To the team , Play hard , enjoy the game and time you are a Chieftain and finish with a win but when the clock shows 00 that is when all should start deciding what can we change to go forward . Come up with a vision and set goals . Work hard but remember to enjoy the game . That can go hand in hand . Good luck to the Chieftain Nation and support your program . Remember no one goes into a game wanting to loose . No one coaches to loose !
Just an ol' Mans opinion and take it for what it's worth.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

Pretty much spot on truth.

AT THE RESERVATION
moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Did our last game make a difference?

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Truth&fiction wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:56 pm Friday night when the clock shows the final 00 the Chieftains will walk off the field . The Seniors will try and hold back emotions on their final game and will hang up their pads . The Jrs will think this will be us next year and how will we feel. Things have not gone as well as most had hoped but that's why the games are played . Blame for an under achieved year runs rapid and there is reason to start conversations about changes . But a complete look from PEE WEE TO THE TOP should be evaluated. I personally think the under lined reason for the down years are no one person fault but a combination of issues that can be corrected but only if they are pin pointed . With Logans schedule next year their record will most likely be better but will that satisfy everyone . Would a better youth program sponsors by the school with input from Varsity staff ( whether tackle or Flag) help? Looking at Jr High Coaches and making sure players stay interested by their approach and evaluate players on skill rather than who's who. Sometime the little things that are improved can turn things around. Logan has had a lot of success on the gridiron and will again but not without commitment and co=operation . Unity is strength. To the team , Play hard , enjoy the game and time you are a Chieftain and finish with a win but when the clock shows 00 that is when all should start deciding what can we change to go forward . Come up with a vision and set goals . Work hard but remember to enjoy the game . That can go hand in hand . Good luck to the Chieftain Nation and support your program . Remember no one goes into a game wanting to lose . No one coaches to lose !
Just an ol' Mans opinion and take it for what it's worth.

Return to “Football”