Logan is at a crossroad

Paladin
SEOP

Logan is at a crossroad

Post by Paladin »

Logan , in my opinion, is at a crossroad. The program has fallen on hard times, is without a league currently and is floundering under the current coach. Some recent history -- 2008 and 2009 Logan finished 10-0 and 11-1 overall, winning in the playoffs. In 2010 they went 3-7, in 2011 did 1-9 and in 2012 went 2-8. 2010 was ugly with wins over a Marietta 3-7 team, a Warren 5-5 team and Portsmouth 3-7. In 2011 the lone win was over a 6-4 Gallia team. In 2012 the 2 wins were a 1-9 Portsmouth team and a losing Chilli 4-6.

Beginning in 2013, a new regime begins and to date has produced an overall 24-23 record with 3 games to go in his 5th year. His first year , Logan went 6-4 but lost to a 3-7 Teays Valley team. In 2014, Logan was 5-5, including a 13-6 win over a 1-9 Warren Local. In 2015, he struck gold, going 8-2 while losing to DeSales and Jackson. Then in 2016, went 3-7 beating only a 2-8 Ross, 2-8 Warren and the miserable pups of Athens. Currently, Logan is 2-5 with 3 games to go.

Besides the record, some troubling things are happening. Players in the program are dropping out. In its long history, Logan had only lettered 4 Frosh but had 4 Frosh letterman last year. One of those was a middle LB at 5'10, 150. Add in a number of Soph starters and pair this with a schedule of multiple large Columbus suburban schools. Worse, the schedule has included a number of smaller school programs given the difficulty getting a schedule without a league. Yet, here again, Logan has not competed well. It would seem there is a problem.

Discuss.

Have gun, will travel
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: Logan is at a crossroad

Post by Orange and Brown »

I think things need to change fast at Logan.
If coach Burke stays changes need made to the offense, and they need to put more emphasis on the freshman and jv teams.
From what little I have seen the last few years it seems like the kids aren't putting in the off-season work. Teams are simply faster and better conditioned than the chiefs.
Their are kids on the team who can make plays, their are kids in the hallways who should be playing football.
Hope things get better sooner than later.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
JacksonMayor
Waterboy

Post by JacksonMayor »

Orange and Brown wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:27 am I think things need to change fast at Logan.
If coach Burke stays changes need made to the offense, and they need to put more emphasis on the freshman and jv teams.
From what little I have seen the last few years it seems like the kids aren't putting in the off-season work. Teams are simply faster and better conditioned than the chiefs.
Their are kids on the team who can make plays, their are kids in the hallways who should be playing football.
Gosh with all the wisdom written in this thread so far I bet the Coach is hoping you guys post your phone numbers so he can hire you right now.

I havent seen Logan in person. I only watched them on film. They looked a little slow to me. If you have to letter a 5-10 150 linebacker that should tell you it isnt coaching its personnel. I get it. No one wants to blame the little timmys of the world. But sometimes you have to face reality. Past performance does not guarantee future success. Logan doesnt have the same players today they did a few years back. IMO you are either part of the solution or you are part of the problem. How do you fit in that equation if your answer is to air your grievance on social media?

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Orange and Brown wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:27 am I think things need to change fast at Logan.
Bingo! 7th, 8th freshman and JV are the feeder system! Also they need to emphasis FLAG football in the 5th and 6th grade and deemphasize tackle football. Change with the assistances are needed! OC and DC needs to be upgraded and special teams must improve! And maybe it is time for the head Coach to go! :mrgreen:

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Logan is on the right tract, scheduling Shadyside, NY, Minford and Meigs all 2, 3, 4, 5 divisions lower. Get rid of Dublin Jerome and pick up an Easter Beaver, or a Southeastern (having a great season).

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

moonshine wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:39 am
Bingo! 7th, 8th freshman and JV are the feeder system! Also they need to emphasis FLAG football in the 5th and 6th grade and deemphasize tackle football. Change with the assistances are needed! OC and DC needs to be upgraded and special teams must improve! And maybe it is time for the head Coach to go! :mrgreen:
I wouldn't go so far as to say do away with tackle at the youth level but changes do need made to the youth program.
For couple years now I've talked about having flag football for _irst second and third grade and then ha e a 4th-6th grade being tackle_
Youth leagues need to spend more time emphasizing fundamentals and less time prioritizing wins,

BUCKEYE PRIDE!
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:28 pm Logan is on the right tract, scheduling Shadyside, NY, Minford and Meigs all 2, 3, 4, 5 divisions lower. Get rid of Dublin Jerome and pick up an Easter Beaver, or a Southeastern (having a great season).
Logan has been to the play offs where Warren hasn't. You are telling Logan what they should do and you are from Warren. Get serious.....Mr. Never Been There. :lol: :lol:

Are you getting enough through that pipe?

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Logan's AD is awful. Schedule winnable games

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Agree raider . Logan should take a page out of Athens book and schedule 7-8 guaranteed wins . It will be hard as an independent however

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Raider6309 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:54 pm Logan's AD is awful. Schedule winnable games
I wouldn't say there ad is awful...........
It's hard to fill games when you have to schedule 10 of them and the coaches in each sport gets a say in scheduling as well.

BUCKEYE PRIDE!
loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Raider6309 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:54 pm Logan's AD is awful. Schedule winnable games
Logan's AD is fantastic. One of the hardest working with the toughest jobs in the business.

You have NO idea what you are talking about (as usual).

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

JacksonMayor wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:34 am
Gosh with all the wisdom written in this thread so far I bet the Coach is hoping you guys post your phone numbers so he can hire you right now.

I havent seen Logan in person. I only watched them on film. They looked a little slow to me. If you have to letter a 5-10 150 linebacker that should tell you it isnt coaching its personnel. I get it. No one wants to blame the little timmys of the world. But sometimes you have to face reality. Past performance does not guarantee future success. Logan doesnt have the same players today they did a few years back. IMO you are either part of the solution or you are part of the problem. How do you fit in that equation if your answer is to air your grievance on social media?
Good post!

tric118
All State

Post by tric118 »

Logan does have a great A.D. And as an independent it would be a nightmare to schedule teams. I was born in Logan and many of my cousins played sports in Logan and my Uncle was a big name Basketball coach for like 100 years it seems. I hate seeing Logan in such a tough rut. Best of luck. They do have some great people up there best of luck.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

I wish the FAC could bring in Logan for football only at least.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Logan vs Jackson - natural rivalry
Logan vs courthouse - very competive
Logan vs Chillicothe- natural rivalry
Logan vs Hillsboro- 2 hard nosed programs
Logan vs Miami Trace - very similar
Logan vs greenfield - win for lost years but greenfield is a proud football community

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Poo Bear wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:49 pm I wish the FAC could bring in Logan for football only at least.
Logan and Circleville

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

I just want to help our old seoal rival and friends logan. It's not fun or funny when kids suffer. Logan can't survive as an independant.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

The fac is going to be a very competitive league. Even the teams who are "down" have athletes and would beat most local teams . Logan would make it that much better

hannancoach
JV Team

Post by hannancoach »

Maybe a good thing to do would be to get back in the SEOAL with us. Have you seen the pics from our tournament of champions parade?

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

hannancoach wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:01 pm Maybe a good thing to do would be to get back in the SEOAL with us. Have you seen the pics from our tournament of champions parade?

The seoal makes too much sense . A local league with similar sized teams. No that can't work .

Return to “Football”