Week 9: Logan (2-6) AT Hamilton Ross (0-8)

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Re: Week 9: Logan (2-6) AT Hamilton Ross (0-8)

Post by Truth&fiction »

noreply66 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:01 am Does being in the Lancaster system hurt Logan's coach? Would bringing in coach that played this system help this coach? But would Logan be able to run that system if so would Logan fans go for it? If it produced winning I think so.
What system are you talking about ? What's the difference between the two if you do not have the talent?

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

cbolt wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:08 pm Other schools have soccer and some still have successful football teams
Yeah: Your thousand boys enrollment schools usually do! Soccer don't pay the bills around here. Be done with it, and save on some bus gas budgeting trips as well. :lol: :lol: :lol:

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Truth&fiction wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:57 pm
noreply66 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:01 am Does being in the Lancaster system hurt Logan's coach? Would bringing in coach that played this system help this coach? But would Logan be able to run that system if so would Logan fans go for it? If it produced winning I think so.
What system are you talking about ? What's the difference between the two if you do not have the talent?
Burke played ball at Lancaster is what he's getting at. And yes, there's enough talent on Logan's squad not to be getting shoved around and blown out even by the bigger schools. Logan is a Div 2 school for god sakes. Needing an overhaul somewhere. Have some gear teeth missing. Definitely some slippage going on. :? The piston cylinders needs a bore and rebore. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by TRENCHFOOT on Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Logan and Lancasters systems are quite different as far as I know at least offensively. Gales have been a smash mouth wing t running team ever since Carpenter has been there, I saw them on TV last night replay against powerful Pickerington Central and they battled right to the end before falling. Don't know about the defense he played at Lancaster but Logan's offense now is pretty similar to spread shotgun types we see today. They would still rather run the ball with the skill personnel they have but there hasn't been much success because the line is not doing well in the trenches. Actually now that I think about it Burke didn't even play after Carpenter got there. His coach was McCurdy I think and I believe they ran the more traditional power I or pro sets sets that were common back then in high school. Burke played QB on offense
Last edited by cbolt on Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

cbolt wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:59 pm Logan and Lancasters systems are quite different as far as I know at least offensively. Gales have been a smash mouth wing t running team ever since Carpenter has been there, I saw them on TV last night replay against powerful Pickerington Central and they battled right to the end before falling. Don't know about the defense he played at Lancaster but Logan's offense now is pretty similar to spread shotgun types we see today. They would still rather run the ball with the skill personnel they have but there hasn't been much success because the line is not doing well in the trenches.
Know one thing for sure. Logan has never huddled before kickoff on the field before going to line up. They are now. Lancaster always has done that. Wonder where that is coming from? Oh, wait a minute. :(

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

That is similar but that is not what is hurting imo. Their special teams as a whole have been bad so I don't think it would make a whole lot of difference to go to a traditional kickoff because you would still have the same problems.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

cbolt wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:13 pm That is similar but that is not what is hurting imo. Their special teams as a whole have been bad so I don't think it would make a whole lot of difference to go to a traditional kickoff because you would still have the same problems.
I was told the kicking team was not ready a couple of times because of that. Not lining up right and out of wack. The ball got ran back on them because of this some was saying. Just line up old school. Much better to be focused and ready.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

See I don't buy that because after they do that they still line up old school. It's just to keep the returning team off balance and guessing. You got a much better chance of recovering an onside kick that way

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

cbolt wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:33 pm See I don't buy that because after they do that they still line up old school. It's just to keep the returning team off balance and guessing. You got a much better chance of recovering an onside kick that way
Line up old school quick after the huddle. Messes them up too. JW said they was all lined up crooked and lopsided a couple of games doing that. He sees more than us having a boy on the squad. He goes to every game. Just common sense to line up old school not having to mess around with that huddle, and be more focused with more time to look down field before the kick. You can always keep the returning team off balanced in other ways. Squib it or not kick to the dangerous guy deep. :lol: :lol: :lol: If the returning team has a dangerous returner old school is a much better choice. That was easily seen a few times this year by the way. :lol: Should have squibbed it.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

I been to a few games myself this year. I would buy it if it was just kickoff returns to worry about but it is just as scary to see them punt the ball. There more going on than just formations because they have had blocked punts, kickoff/punt returns for big yardage, they got a whole lot of bad stuff going on.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Good luck Logan. This is the type of game you must win.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Yeah, you are right on cue there. Whole lot of bad stuff going on, and "some" of the bad stuff is fixable. ;)

The Fan
Waterboy

Post by The Fan »

If this program is not evaluated and changes made by end of year, we'll see the program take possibly the biggest dive in years. My son who has friends in the program tells me even kids who are getting PT are fed up with the direction of this program and are ready to pursue other sports. My sources are also telling me respect for authority has been lost, locker room is seperated despite what coaches say, kids have quit and been allowed to return which doesnt sit well with kids who are committed and looking for PT, actions of certain coaches around kids has gotten a few in trouble. The off season program that is non mandatory I hear is an absolute joke. Several kids committed and bought into this over the summer to see it do nothing for them. Several won't return and I am hearing most of these young men are under classmen. Young men are just not buying into this debacle any longer. Program needs new direction (from the outside). Otherwise, this sophmore class I am hearing is so good will never be seen.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

I hate to see the thread devolve this way but something is wrong here. I can't say too much. I haven't been to a game this year. Not out of disrespect for the program but my attention has been elsewhere. I'd love to see the program revive.

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse
1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

The Fan wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:03 pm If this program is not evaluated and changes made by end of year, we'll see the program take possibly the biggest dive in years. My son who has friends in the program tells me even kids who are getting PT are fed up with the direction of this program and are ready to pursue other sports. My sources are also telling me respect for authority has been lost, locker room is seperated despite what coaches say, kids have quit and been allowed to return which doesnt sit well with kids who are committed and looking for PT, actions of certain coaches around kids has gotten a few in trouble. The off season program that is non mandatory I hear is an absolute joke. Several kids committed and bought into this over the summer to see it do nothing for them. Several won't return and I am hearing most of these young men are under classmen. Young men are just not buying into this debacle any longer. Program needs new direction (from the outside). Otherwise, this sophmore class I am hearing is so good will never be seen.
I was told the same thing a few weeks ago at the Minford game.

AT THE RESERVATION
Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

A few facts --- this coach formerly was at Medina Buckeye. He never had much success there. He also quit as the HC just a week or two before the beginning of fall camp while remaining as a teacher. He then was hired at Logan the following Spring. The school is a pay to play system and his dispute involved the fallout from a failed levy vote. Since he left, Buckeye has become a powerhouse. Logan and Buckeye are similar -- both had little success with him as a HC, both had athletes who stopped coming out to play for him and both are successful programs with someone competent in charge. Buckeye I believe is number 2 in their region this year. Just the facts.

Have gun, will travel
1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with losing to teams you know your not going to beat consistently. (DS, DJ Lancaster etc...) but when your losing and losing as badly as we have to teams you should be competing with (TV, Sheridan, Athens, etc...) and struggling to beat teams you should be crushing (Minford, Meigs etc...) then changes need to be made. The biggest problem is this isn't just a 1 or 2 year thing. It's been this way since Dale retired and that is the only thing that has change since. All of Dales staff is on the current staff. So could it just be as simple as the coaching Philosophy that the players aren't grasping?
I'm just kind of thinking out loud.

AT THE RESERVATION
Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Sounds like talent is not the issue . A couple different opinions and maybe it's a number of issues but on a smaller scale that creates the results.Hope they get it worked out . Logan has all the resources to have great programs . Agree this will take time . Along with time it will take commitment , development and a cultural adjustment. This is all attainable if it start now . Good luck to Chieftain Nation in getting this figured out.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

I'll let you decide -- Medina Buckeye is a D-3 school usually in the Cleveland region but sometimes in the Toledo region.
Records-
2010. /. 3-7
2011 / 3-7
2012. /. 3-7
Coach leaves for Logan
2013. /. 6-4
2014. /. 8-2
2015. /. 10-0
2016. /. 9-1
2017. /. Currently 8-0

I rest my case.

Have gun, will travel
cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Looks like he wasn't there in 2012 paldi.That must have been the year he quit. Here's a snip from the LDN when he was hired

From 2007 through 2011, Burke was head coach at Division III Medina Buckeye in Medina County, where he compiled a 26-25 record and made an appearance in the state DIII playoffs in 2009.

In his resume cover letter — the committee sifted through 46 applications, granted eight interviews, and brought Burke and another candidate back late last week for a second interview — Burke noted that, as the result of repeated levy failings since 1994, Medina Buckeye had a $395 pay-to-participate fee. Players even car-pooled to games his first season as head coach.
Last edited by cbolt on Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Football”