Playoff Expansion

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Re: Playoff Expansion

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

There are too many teams in the playoffs now as it is. Too many per region and too many divisions/regions! It makes it less special to make the playoffs.

When the playoffs first started, there were only 3 divisions and only the top two teams in each region qualified.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

greygoose wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:57 am NO and NO, that puts over half the teams in each region making the playoffs. Current trend now is try to schedule 1-2 tough opponents help you A) get ready for the playoffs and B)help with points. By this logic teams could pretty much schedule cupcakes for 9-10 games then make the playoffs and see how it unfolds. In division 1 you'd have just about all the teams making the playoffs. Eewwww I don't like that idea, bad bad, kill this topic now.
I agree teams are already getting in with losing records.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

Put 11 teams in each region n the playoffs with the #1 seed of each region getting a buy then a home game just a thought

Burg grad 85
js7_22
Varsity

Post by js7_22 »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:24 am This sounds to me like one of them Millenial ideas. Just give them all a 🏆 and tell them they are great.
I'm glad you said it, because I was going to if not. Lets just have all the teams make the playoffs while we're at it. That way they can all brag they made it in. The transition from 4 teams to 8 was a good move. But 16? Why even call it playoffs then? Someones feelings have to be hurt at some point in time.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

This is a stupid idea. We have enough divisions and enough playoff games to get the truly deserving in. As it is , most first round games now are blowout mismatches. Those who go 8-2 or 9-1 and don't get in have a weak schedule to thank.

The gutless are entitled to nothing. Play better competition and win or look stupid playing poor teams then whining when not getting in. Season is long enough as it is and don't want to limit the regular season for all.

Have gun, will travel
LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

My first thought was I didn't like this idea.

Then I pondered it for a moment and decided I REALLY didn't like this idea.

Then I went away from it and then came back to it and changed my mind. I HATE this idea.

Indiana football....,

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

LucasDavenport wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:15 pm My first thought was I didn't like this idea.

Then I pondered it for a moment and decided I REALLY didn't like this idea.

Then I went away from it and then came back to it and changed my mind. I HATE this idea.

Indiana football....,
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Ohiosportsfan
Waterboy

Post by Ohiosportsfan »

Someone mentioned revenue. However, by going to a 9 game a schedule, you are taking money away from the schools. Schools don’t make money for hosting playoff games. That money goes to OHSAA. Schools keep the secondary revenue, like concessions and programs.

Besides, win and get in. It’s not difficult. Don’t water it down. When I played on 4 got in. Now that was tough. You had 10-0 teams not get in. The 8 team format is great.

GoBucks1047
JV Team

Post by GoBucks1047 »

I think the playoffs are fine as they are other than having them all on Friday, but if OHSAA had to expand, I have a unique way of expanding the playoffs (probably will never happen).

First off, go back to 6 Divisions with 96 in D1 (up from 72), and the other 5 divisions will have ~124 each. For D1, top 8 from each region Qualify like normal or 1/3 of the field (down from 44.4%). In D2-D6, the top 8 of each region will qualify like normal, but here's the unique way of expanding, after the 32 Teams Qualify, the next 8 overall teams by points in each division also qualify regardless of region. Overall 40 of the 124 qualify for the playoffs or 32.2% (up from 29.6%). I think there should be a cap of 12 Teams per region, because from using this format in 2012 in D3, 14 teams could've made the playoffs out of R11 (unless 2 of the #9-14 teams relocated to different nearby region), while 9 team from R9 and R10 each make it and 8 team from R12 would've made the playoffs. Obviously this idea wouldn't make OHSAA too much more money so they would probably be against it, but overall, 8 more teams would make the playoffs (goes up from 224 teams to 232) and it gives teams who normally just missed out a 2nd chance, but shouldn't reward teams with losing records. Not the best plan, but it's something, let me know what you think.

Also surprised no one has mentioned the idea of expansion to 12 teams per region in a 6 division format as opposed to 16. It would be interesting since you would rewarding the top 4 teams with a bye, but it does allow for 4 to 5 and occasional 6 loss teams to make the playoffs in weaker regions, but at least they wouldn't be getting blown out by the top seeds and 1st round games would be a little more competitive; 2nd Round is debatable. I would still prefer remaining at 8 Teams per region over 12 or 16.

Ironmen#2588
Freshman Team

Post by Ironmen#2588 »

GoBucks1047 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:34 pm I think the playoffs are fine as they are other than having them all on Friday, but if OHSAA had to expand, I have a unique way of expanding the playoffs (probably will never happen).

First off, go back to 6 Divisions with 96 in D1 (up from 72), and the other 5 divisions will have ~124 each. For D1, top 8 from each region Qualify like normal or 1/3 of the field (down from 44.4%). In D2-D6, the top 8 of each region will qualify like normal, but here's the unique way of expanding, after the 32 Teams Qualify, the next 8 overall teams by points in each division also qualify regardless of region. Overall 40 of the 124 qualify for the playoffs or 32.2% (up from 29.6%). I think there should be a cap of 12 Teams per region, because from using this format in 2012 in D3, 14 teams could've made the playoffs out of R11 (unless 2 of the #9-14 teams relocated to different nearby region), while 9 team from R9 and R10 each make it and 8 team from R12 would've made the playoffs. Obviously this idea wouldn't make OHSAA too much more money so they would probably be against it, but overall, 8 more teams would make the playoffs (goes up from 224 teams to 232) and it gives teams who normally just missed out a 2nd chance, but shouldn't reward teams with losing records. Not the best plan, but it's something, let me know what you think.

Also surprised no one has mentioned the idea of expansion to 12 teams per region in a 6 division format as opposed to 16. It would be interesting since you would rewarding the top 4 teams with a bye, but it does allow for 4 to 5 and occasional 6 loss teams to make the playoffs in weaker regions, but at least they wouldn't be getting blown out by the top seeds and 1st round games would be a little more competitive; 2nd Round is debatable. I would still prefer remaining at 8 Teams per region over 12 or 16.
I agree to expand it to a 12 team per region. More high school football and everyone wants more of it. It would be very competitive.

tiger2000
Waterboy

Post by tiger2000 »

I would like to do away with the regions all together and take the top 32 from each divsion. This way it doesn't hurt the 9-1 or 8-2 who has a tough region. There was an 8-2 team who was 9th in the region and 15th in the divsion that team shouldn't be left because they were in a brutal region.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

scott1297 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:14 am Put 11 teams in each region n the playoffs with the #1 seed of each region getting a buy then a home game just a thought
11 teams would give 5 teams a bye.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

scott1297 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:14 am Put 11 teams in each region n the playoffs with the #1 seed of each region getting a buy then a home game just a thought
Sort of run into a problem there after the 2nd round.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

tiger2000 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:22 am I would like to do away with the regions all together and take the top 32 from each divsion. This way it doesn't hurt the 9-1 or 8-2 who has a tough region. There was an 8-2 team who was 9th in the region and 15th in the divsion that team shouldn't be left because they were in a brutal region.
Travel would be nuts.

seasick80
All State

Post by seasick80 »

Is there another state that calculates the playoff teams like Ohio does? I could google it but wanted to give a knowledgeable poster a chance first lol.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Texas has 32 districts. Top 2 in each district makes playoffs. You play everyone in your district.

I like ohios method. Sure it has holes. But it's pretty good.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

The playoff format started in 1972 with three divisions, Class A, AA and AAA. There were 4 regions in each division and only the winner of the division went to the playoffs. It took a decade to change the 3 divisions to 6 divisions. When they made that move, I can't remember if more than just the region winner made the playoffs or not. I don't remember when they expanded to 8 teams from each region making the playoffs and added a division 7. There are many more in here more knowledgeable on this that would be able to fill in the gaps. I believe each change has benefitted football programs across the state. There were probably naysayers for every change but the OHSAA if going to do what it wants to do regardless of what the fans think. 16 teams from each division may be overkill for the high school level in my opinion. Even the NCAA is stuck on 4 in football at the highest level.

Once a Tiger, always a Tiger. :D
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

79Tiger wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:20 pm The playoff format started in 1972 with three divisions, Class A, AA and AAA. There were 4 regions in each division and only the winner of the division went to the playoffs. It took a decade to change the 3 divisions to 6 divisions. When they made that move, I can't remember if more than just the region winner made the playoffs or not. I don't remember when they expanded to 8 teams from each region making the playoffs and added a division 7. There are many more in here more knowledgeable on this that would be able to fill in the gaps. I believe each change has benefitted football programs across the state. There were probably naysayers for every change but the OHSAA if going to do what it wants to do regardless of what the fans think. 16 teams from each division may be overkill for the high school level in my opinion. Even the NCAA is stuck on 4 in football at the highest level.
I know in the early days, some years they would take 2 teams and some years they would take 4 teams.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Well looks like there's a majority here, NO PLAYOFF EXPANSION it is. Please bring on the next item we can tackle from behind a computer screen

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

79Tiger wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:20 pm The playoff format started in 1972 with three divisions, Class A, AA and AAA. There were 4 regions in each division and only the winner of the division went to the playoffs. It took a decade to change the 3 divisions to 6 divisions. When they made that move, I can't remember if more than just the region winner made the playoffs or not. I don't remember when they expanded to 8 teams from each region making the playoffs and added a division 7. There are many more in here more knowledgeable on this that would be able to fill in the gaps. I believe each change has benefitted football programs across the state. There were probably naysayers for every change but the OHSAA if going to do what it wants to do regardless of what the fans think. 16 teams from each division may be overkill for the high school level in my opinion. Even the NCAA is stuck on 4 in football at the highest level.
1972-79: 3 classes, 1 team from each region
1980-84: 5 divisions, 2 teams from each region
1985-93: 5 divisions, 4 teams from each region
1994-98: 6 divisions, 4 teams from each region
1999-2012: 6 divisions, 8 teams from each region
2013-present: 7 divisions, 8 teams from each region

Return to “Football”