Playoff Expansion

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Re: Playoff Expansion

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

greygoose wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:51 am Well looks like there's a majority here, NO PLAYOFF EXPANSION it is. Please bring on the next item we can tackle from behind a computer screen
I agree. We are on a roll already. 😂

79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

enigmaax wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:37 am
79Tiger wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:20 pm The playoff format started in 1972 with three divisions, Class A, AA and AAA. There were 4 regions in each division and only the winner of the division went to the playoffs. It took a decade to change the 3 divisions to 6 divisions. When they made that move, I can't remember if more than just the region winner made the playoffs or not. I don't remember when they expanded to 8 teams from each region making the playoffs and added a division 7. There are many more in here more knowledgeable on this that would be able to fill in the gaps. I believe each change has benefitted football programs across the state. There were probably naysayers for every change but the OHSAA if going to do what it wants to do regardless of what the fans think. 16 teams from each division may be overkill for the high school level in my opinion. Even the NCAA is stuck on 4 in football at the highest level.
1972-79: 3 classes, 1 team from each region
1980-84: 5 divisions, 2 teams from each region
1985-93: 5 divisions, 4 teams from each region
1994-98: 6 divisions, 4 teams from each region
1999-2012: 6 divisions, 8 teams from each region
2013-present: 7 divisions, 8 teams from each region
Thanks for the info. I was in college from 80-85 and in Germany until late 88. I didn't move back to Ironton until 1993 so I lost touch on how the playoff and divisions had expanded.

Once a Tiger, always a Tiger. :D
Ttomcat99
Riding the Bench

Post by Ttomcat99 »

Better idea is make it a 6 team playoff instead of 8 and #1 and #2 get first round bye have 3 play 6 and 4 plays 5 lowest seed play #1

:twisted: Some wish for it but we work for it :twisted:
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

OLE BAIT DON'T LIKE THE IDEA AT ALL.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

I feel like the system is pretty close to perfect as it is. There’s a good balance of ensuring the real top teams in each region are in (and those typically rise to the top) while giving some teams who have solid seasons but would find it difficult to compete with the top handful of teams something’s by to shoot for. I feel that rural schools, having seen and gotten in on some of the success have closed the gap in a lot of cases. Going any further would water the field down to where it wouldn’t even really be a reward for a solid season any more. As it is, some good teams can still miss.

Return to “Football”