Playoff Expansion

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Playoff Expansion

Post by EasternDspy »

I know many are against this idea but I believe the state would be better off adding another week of playoffs and taking 16 teams from each region. It’s what makes the basketball tourney better every team makes it.My idea consist of either starting a week earlier or even going to a 9 game reg season. I know most of the time 1 will blowout 16 but it be really insteresting. Also it would give schools more chances to schedule better because 1 loss won’t kill you.

1 vs 16
8 vs 9
5 vs 12
4 vs 13
6 vs 11
3 vs 14
7 vs 10
2 vs 15

greygoose
SEOPS

Re: Playoff Expansion

Post by greygoose »

NO and NO, that puts over half the teams in each region making the playoffs. Current trend now is try to schedule 1-2 tough opponents help you A) get ready for the playoffs and B)help with points. By this logic teams could pretty much schedule cupcakes for 9-10 games then make the playoffs and see how it unfolds. In division 1 you'd have just about all the teams making the playoffs. Eewwww I don't like that idea, bad bad, kill this topic now.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Obviously it be different format for D1. That being said why not? Since when is more football a bad thing? Think of the revenue and huge crowds for an extra home playoff game. I don’t really see a downside.

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

There is no downside that i can see. Its one more game. But that being said ain't much wrong with an 8 game format either.

Winners never quit. And quitters never win! Vince Lombardi
Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

This is what Indiana does for high school football, they have an extra round in the playoffs, and way more teams get in, but they only play 9 regular season games.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

With the current format which ain’t bad you have teams that go 7-3 or 8-2 and don’t get in even if those 2 losses were to 10-0 teams. This way the better teams are getting a shot at the playoffs. Garaway , Newark Cath , Grandview Heights are not making the playoffs in 23 and they are probably all deserving they just play really hard schedules.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Chieftain2009 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:01 am This is what Indiana does for high school football, they have an extra round in the playoffs, and way more teams get in, but they only play 9 regular season games.
Indiana and football are 2 words that should never be used in the same sentence. :lol: You have now lost all credibility. :D

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

greygoose wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:16 am
Chieftain2009 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:01 am This is what Indiana does for high school football, they have an extra round in the playoffs, and way more teams get in, but they only play 9 regular season games.
Indiana and football are 2 words that should never be used in the same sentence. :lol: You have now lost all credibility. :D
😂😂😂😂😂

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

greygoose wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:16 am
I don't know that I had any in the first place :lol: :lol:

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

This sounds to me like one of them Millenial ideas. Just give them all a 🏆 and tell them they are great.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

EasternDspy wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:15 am With the current format which ain’t bad you have teams that go 7-3 or 8-2 and don’t get in even if those 2 losses were to 10-0 teams. This way the better teams are getting a shot at the playoffs. Garaway , Newark Cath , Grandview Heights are not making the playoffs in 23 and they are probably all deserving they just play really hard schedules.
Understand where you are coming from but with that many teams the logic more then proves the other half of the spectrum, you are simply letting in more teams that have no business being in the playoffs compared to teams you'd be letting in because they were just on the outside looking in. Looking at rankings right now there's quite a few teams that are .500 or 3-5 in that area. You mention the gate but if your a 1 seed taking on a 16 seed you're not going to be getting the gate you'd expect, especially knowing the following week you'll be playing at home against a team you'd want to see not some 4-6 team. We all want more football but we want quality football. If there was a way to work it to where 10 got in I think that'd cover the teams you mention as so many times very deserving teams are just on the outside looking in but just not a number that can be done.

By the way looked at Garaway's schedule that is brutal the teams they lost to are a combined 36-4 through 8. DANG. With the last 4 of the 5 loss being pretty competitive, at least looking at the final scores standpoint. On the flip side you let in a Lucasville Valley who's 3 wins are against teams with a combined 13-14 record. Or a Crooksville team that is currently 4-4 but their 4 wins are against team with a combined 5-27 record.
Last edited by greygoose on Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:24 am This sounds to me like one of them Millenial ideas. Just give them all a 🏆 and tell them they are great.
THANK YOU :lol: :lol:

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:24 am This sounds to me like one of them Millenial ideas. Just give them all a 🏆 and tell them they are great.
I just spit my coffee all over my iPad. Jolly, you might actually be ok! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded! ~Lawrence M. Krauss
Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

I’m glad I could start your day off on a good note.

P.S. I am not liable for any damages. 😂

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

No

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Heck no. There are enough bad first round games now.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

EasternDspy wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:15 am With the current format which ain’t bad you have teams that go 7-3 or 8-2 and don’t get in even if those 2 losses were to 10-0 teams. This way the better teams are getting a shot at the playoffs. Garaway , Newark Cath , Grandview Heights are not making the playoffs in 23 and they are probably all deserving they just play really hard schedules.
2-6 teams (regardless of schedule) have no business in the playoffs. Playing tough schedules is commendable, but at some point you have to win to be "deserving".

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Terrible idea.
The current format works great.
If it ain't broke..........

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
bucks_09
Freshman Team

Post by bucks_09 »

Eight teams is plenty. Playing in the playoffs is a reward for beating teams during the regular season. Expand it to 16 teams and you will have teams with 3-4 wins making the playoffs and getting blown out by 60 points every week. Or you'll have teams that play schools either half of their size or terrible schools of the same size making it. Keep it the way it is.

TVC
Varsity

Post by TVC »

8 teams is enough.
The change should be separation of public and private.

Return to “Football”