So all prviate schools recruit?

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

So all prviate schools recruit?

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I wonder if they all do why do so many of them stink at football and other sports?

I await the stupidity that follows.

How about open enrollment public schools.
Do they recruit too?
Well the ones who have winning records.

The ones who have losing records almost yearly, why do we never read about their recruiters being fired?

king kong
Freshman Team

Re: So all prviate schools recruit?

Post by king kong »

Lol, kind of like the Burg fan starting a thread asking why Burg has had so much success, then whining about those of us who say Burg has some advantages that other districts cannot get and they had the thread shut down. If you have your panties in a bunch about private schools being accused of recruiting, why start a thread on it?

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

No one has ever said just private schools recruit. Pickerington Central took 2 4 star recruits from Athens. Those two are at Michigan and Pittsburg. I always say no home grown teams have ever won state and never will.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Isn't Central one of those open enrollment schools?

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

You will find schools that emphasize sports and under the right circumstances and whether a private or public school will recruit .Not saying it's out of hand but there is ways around getting caught. The State does what it can but when there is a pattern ( and by all means there can be ) It should be investigated to the fullest. Making an example of one of the elite will send a message . Tell me it's not so Joe!

Kendog029
Freshman Team

Post by Kendog029 »

This was a big problem in WV. The ssac had to make a rule like NCAA where you must sit out a year in order to be eligible for sports. It wasn't for private schools in WV though just schools close to one another. Now parents just rent a cheap apartment or land in that paticular school district to loophole this rule. It goes on everywhere. Only private school that plays football in WV is wheeling notre dame and linsley now though that I can think of.

Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

Great topic and I will answer based on my years of fallowing high school football. All my comments will be based solely on my first hand experiences or knowledge.

In northwest Ohio...
Lima schools definitely recruit public and private. Bath Shawnee lose there best guys to lcc or senior. When Lima sr won state they had several kids from lcc and Shawnee. This was open enrollment transfers. Then when Lenard left sr lcc recruited all over Lima as a private catholic. They were in the nwc at this time and dominated with a Lima all star team. They were booted and have lost recruitment numbers when dell came back to coach sr and now Archie’s boy seems to be keeping player.

Most mac schools cannot recruit players just based on location alone. I have never seen any recruitment in the mac. The only catholic mac school is St. John’s. Also being in a bigger city they have the best opportunity to recruit but I can say with certainty they do not. Delphos is split between St. John’s and Jefferson. You are born into a school and there is no cross over. This may seem hard to believe but the mac is the mac without recruiting.

Now for the major Ohio cities.

Dayton has alter, Wayne, Centerville all recruit.
Wayne is one of the only public d1 schools that competes.

Columbus has Hartley, and de salles both major recruiters

Cincy is a hot bed for recruiting in d1 to d5. Good programs like Wyoming do not recruit but as good as they are they do not compete in there region

Toledo is a copy of cincy with tcc and a host of other Catholics competing for players

Cleveland good players are going to iggy or st ed even if they have to travel hour to school

Then you look at Youngstown and you have big red public open enrollment recruiting competing with Mooney and Ursuline which red is winning this battle of late.

Stark county is a mess and always has been with multiple violations every year and still can’t win state there just isn’t the major metro there to pull from without getting reported and they are public school.

But after all this lot of ppl will misconstrue recruiting with a simple transfer. Burg will get some transfers cause a dad wants his son to play for there program. Nothing wrong with that at all. Public schools are using open enroll to compete with Catholics but idk if it works and it’s against the rules. Basically if you look at d4 to d1 very few public’s can compete year in year out. I can name years players and teams but didn’t want to start that kind of talk. This is a real topic for debate but I can go more in-depth if need be. This is the kind of football topic worth discussing if it can stay civil.

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

There is a difference in recruiting kids or the kids just might want to go play for a good program nobody is recruiting them they recruit themselves to want to play somewhere that they have a chance of winning and being around better coaches what i am trying to say is most of the good programs dont recruit they dont have too kids want to go there automatically

Burg grad 85
Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

scott1297 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:04 pm There is a difference in recruiting kids or the kids just might want to go play for a good program nobody is recruiting them they recruit themselves to want to play somewhere that they have a chance of winning and being around better coaches what i am trying to say is most of the good programs dont recruit they dont have too kids want to go there automatically
You are mostly correct. D5-d7 very little recruiting goes on it can’t just with logistics. Very few major metro small schools can out draw the top dogs. However in the big divisions there is definitely major recruiting. Catholic schools can get away with lot more but the public’s that compete recruit. That’s just how it goes. Good programs like massie will still have down years. How many down years does Hartley have lol

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Wasn't the last two schools who got in trouble for recruiting actually public schools?

I remember Trotwood Madison getting in trouble and I believe another school from that area.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

Whether you call it "recruiting" or whatever, if the answer was that the coach at Newark Catholic is so much better at coaching football than other coaches in his division, then he wouldn't be working at Newark Catholic for a teacher's salary.

Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:29 pm Wasn't the last two schools who got in trouble for recruiting actually public schools?

I remember Trotwood Madison getting in trouble and I believe another school from that area.
Yes you are correct. As I said the public schools always get busted because it is harder to hide even with open enrollment things are easier to spot. Schools like McKinley and Massillon regularly get in trouble because of the lack of a major metro to pull kids from. Trot wood is a d3 power and a public school. Put that combo together and you will find recruiting. Public schools that win state in the big divisions usually are carried by an amazing group of kids but when they graduate the school doesn’t compete the same. Schools like Wayne trottwood Steubenville are easier to catch in the act. When they compete for state titles every year and they are public something fishy is going on.

79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

Raider6309 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:09 pm No one has ever said just private schools recruit. Pickerington Central took 2 4 star recruits from Athens. Those two are at Michigan and Pittsburg. I always say no home grown teams have ever won state and never will.
The 1979 Ironton Tigers won the Class AA State Championship with a homegrown team. There were no outsiders on that team. 3 of us played on the City Championship team together in 1971. Our total dressed for the Championship game was 31 and 7 of them were freshman. The only "outsider" was a foreign exchange student that did not play due to injuries.

Once a Tiger, always a Tiger. :D
Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

Back in those days things where different. Kids basically had to live in the district. Major metro Catholics could recruit but open enrollment wasn’t a thing. In those days ironton had lot of kids that moved to ironton lives there and eventually played high school football and there dads got jobs at the big plant there. No plant now, no move ins. They didn’t do anything against the rules at all and I think the local economy has hurt there program. That’s just what I believe idk if it’s true or not. I wouldn’t compare recruiting in those days to today hs football is more like a business now

79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

Recruiting or not, players want to play for successful programs that give them the best chance to gain exposure for the next level. I see nothing wrong with players and parents wanting to do that.

Once a Tiger, always a Tiger. :D
Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

I don’t disagree with you. I don’t think what you are talking about is even considered recruiting. For Catholic schools to be able to go way outside of a district and get players is not fair. To counter this some open enroll publics will accept good football players but denie other kids because they don’t play. Both things are against the rules. What I think you are talking about is kids moving into the district. I am all for that. Idk is we will ever get a solution. They won’t separate catholic and public’s in the playoffs and competitive balance doesn’t fix the problem. But on the other hand it makes it that much better when a school has a magic run and wins it all. Lima sr 96 was unreal. I’ll let it slide that they did pick few players from other Lima schools. Back then public’s didn’t beat Catholics in d1. Still is very rare. Makes it special.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

To make separation fair
Make it
Private
Open enrollment
&
Closed enrollment

That way you can have three separate champions and then everyone will be happy.

H-back
Freshman Team

Post by H-back »

Raider6309 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:09 pm No one has ever said just private schools recruit. Pickerington Central took 2 4 star recruits from Athens. Those two are at Michigan and Pittsburg. I always say no home grown teams have ever won state and never will.
Waterford girls basketball has won state... and they have made three straight finals

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

Do all Private and Parochial schools recruit? No.

Do some Public schools recruit? Yes.

But... having said that; the tale of the tape is in the playoffs and tournaments---compare the % of Private and Parochial schools to Public schools state wide and then look at the state qualifiers.
The Private schools are represented a lot more than they should be statistically. The math isn't biased so that means something else is at work.

Parochial and Private schools pay less so it's not money---that only leaves one thing.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

Let me use a local team as the prime example.
Athens has had fine seasons after Burrow, Williams, and company left but no one has talked about them going to the state. They have basically the same excellent staff that they had before but their athletes aren't being recruited by Big Ten schools.

When they made their run they played Desales, ASVSM, and TCC. How have those programs done since that year?

You can't be a perennial power without the horses---the 3 schools I listed above get the horses every year. We can dance around it but.... they recruit.

Return to “Football”