Nelsonville-York(52) @ (26)Athens

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: WK 10 TVC Ohio Championship NY (9-0) at Athens (8-1)

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Orange and Brown wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:10 am
TRENCHFOOT wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:13 am
Orange and Brown wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:15 pm

It's gonna look good on you trench!
Just let me know and I'll save you a seat.
8-) Look for a person in a NY jacket and a white ball cap with a purple script L on it. :lol: :lol: JK. I got a buddy that lives in the Nelsonville/Carbon hill area. He always talked about watching the games in the dog pound down there years ago. Where is that exactly O&B, on the facility or :lol: close by where you can see the game? Haven't talked to him for a great while but he never really said where it was.
It's right next to the stadium. It's on private property. Honestly, I'm not sure how they can see that much of the game from there. I'm guessing the beer helps
:lol:
Now I know why he watched the games from there all the time. The beverages. :lol: :lol:

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

ohwkGREATNESSyrio
All Conference

Post by ohwkGREATNESSyrio »

I got athens 34-28

I AM HARMS WAY. Life is a knive fight. Bring guns for the fun.
Ttomcat99
Riding the Bench

Post by Ttomcat99 »

28-21 Athens

:twisted: Some wish for it but we work for it :twisted:
SEOALLivesMatter
Waterboy

Post by SEOALLivesMatter »

NY 30

Athens 12

NY BUCKS
All State

Post by NY BUCKS »

Ny has to much for the puppies. Cant cover all of Nys weapons. .Bucks roll !!!

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Nelsonville-York coach Rusty Richards didn’t offer any text book coach-speak when discussing Friday’s league championship tilt against the Athens Bulldogs.

“A lot of times people try to downplay it. This is a big game,” Richards said. “This is a huge game. We’re not going to downplay it. We’re going to accept it. Hey, we want to play with some emotion. They’re going to be on a high, we want to be also.”

For the second season in a row, Athens and Nelsonville-York will meet in week 10 with the winner gaining the outright Tri-Valley Conference Ohio Division championship.

The Doc Kroner Trophy will also be at stake on Friday at 7:30 p.m. at Athens High School’s R. Basil Rutter Field.

Not only will the Buckeyes (9-0, 5-0 TVC-Ohio) be playing their country rivals for a league title, but they will try and complete the program’s first 10-0 season since 1997.

Athens (8-1, 5-0 TVC-Ohio) lost last year’s matchup 41-24. The ‘Dogs will try to recapture the traveling Doc Kroner Trophy and win a league title for the first time since the 2014 team capped off a run of four straight TVC-Ohio crowns.

It will be the sixth time in the last eight seasons that the winner of this rivalry will end up with a least a share of the league championship. Nelsonville-York leads the all-time series, 21-16.

“That’s why you do all those extra sprints for games like this,” Richards said. “What a better way to go out but with week 10 and everything’s on the line.”

The Buckeyes are still standing in the ranks of the unbeaten thanks to last week’s thrilling 27-24 win over Vinton County. Garrett Maiden completed a 2-yard touchdown pass to Keegan Wilburn as time expired to steal a victory away from the Vikings.

It will be the kind of play that will live in Buckeye legend and lore, even more so if they can complete the perfect season this week against Athens.

Wilburn, just a sophomore, has rushed for 911 yards, as well as catching 21 passes for 370 yards. He has 10 rushing touchdowns and five receiving scores.

“He’s a very special player, one of the best I’ve coached as far as a bit of a do-it-all,” Richards said. “The kid can throw the ball, he catches the ball. He’s just as good a receiver as he is running back. He can basically play any position on the field, offensively.”

The Bulldogs will certainly need to know where Wilburn is lined up at on every play.

“We move him around the field and we try to use his talents the best that my knowledge will let us,” Richards said. “Very special player.”

So far, the Bulldogs’ defense has been up to the task. The unit is giving up only 9.8 points per game and only Canal Winchester has been able to top the 20-point mark against the unit.

“It starts off up front,” Richards said of Athens’ defense. “They interchange a lot of guys and they’re big. We’re not the biggest. They’re big up front.”

It’s a vast improvement from a year ago when Athens gave up 22.9 points a game. Middle linebacker Tanner Tritipo leads the unit.

Richards was also impressed with Athens’ secondary, which features experienced seniors such as Treyce Albin, Robert Dickelman, Easton McCollum and junior Lane Heller.

“They have kids in the secondary who can run,” Richards said. “They all play both ways. Their linebackers aren’t the biggest, but they remind you a lot like ours. They fly to the football. They’re fundamentally sound on both sides of the ball.”

The Buckeyes come in averaging 36 points per game, as Maiden has 1,351 yards passing and 14 touchdowns. Colt Yinger adds 613 yards rushing.

On the other side of the ball, Nelsonville-York’s defensive unit will match up against Athens’ spread attack.

Linebackers Ronnie Wend (153 total tackles) and Yinger (106 total tackles) lead a Buckeye defense that is giving up an average of just 11.8 points per game.

They will be countered by Athens’ offense, led by junior quarterback Clay Davis (1,968 yards passing, 22 touchdowns).

“He’s got a live arm,” Richards said. “Many different kids catch the ball. You have to guard all of them. It’s not like they just throw to one kid.”

When Davis does throw, Albin has been a leading target, catching 42 passes for 763 yards. He’s been a deep threat all season, averaging 18.1 yards per catch.

“We have to be somewhat aggressive but not so much that we bite on that first move and give up that 80-yard touchdown,” Richards said. “He’s definitely a home-run threat.”

Richards said the Buckeyes should have the services of senior cornerback/receiver Chris Cook to help against the Bulldogs’ attack. He left the Vinton County game with a bruised shoulder.

“He’ll be ready to play,” Richards said. “He’s a go for Friday night.”

Junior Evan Adams (134 carries, 688 yards) has emerged this season as a big-play running back for the Bulldogs. Junior Mikel Casteel (108 carries, 488 yards) gives Athens another running back to throw at the Buckeyes.

“They keep you honest,” Richards said. “They’re not just a passing team. They keep your defense honest. We have to have a good tackling night.”

Whatever happens on Friday, the Buckeyes know they’ll play at home in week 11. The reputable website, joeeitel.com has N-Y already clinching a home playoff game.

However, a victory over Athens would guarantee that Nelsonville-York would be the No. 1 seed in the Division VI, Region 23 playoff field.

The Bulldogs are looking at a different scenario. They are currently 10th in Division III, Region 11 and still need help to make the playoffs, even with a win on Friday.

There will be plenty at stake for both sides. The Buckeyes, who have won 16 regular season games in a row, will try to repeat as TVC-Ohio champions as well as complete the sixth 10-0 regular season in program history.

It’s exactly the kind of scenarios Richards wanted the Buckeyes to be in when he took over the program prior to the 2016 season.

“Our first goal is to win the TVC,” Richards said. “Our second goal is to try and win a regional championship or do something (in the playoffs), but it’s a huge game. It’s a big one for both of us. Should be a lot of fun.”

Email at kwiseman@athensmessenger.com; follow on Twitter @KevinWmessenger

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

It’s unfair to say the stakes have never been higher for Athens, which approaches its week 10 showdown with Nelsonville-York with plenty of familiar strings attached.

But there’s an air of finality in this game for the Bulldogs (8-1, 5-0 Tri-Valley Conference Ohio Division) that hasn’t accompanied the nearly annual clash with the Buckeyes (9-0, 5-0 TVC Ohio). The two rivals square off again on Friday night at 7:30 p.m. at Rutter Field.

As has been often the case since Athens joined the league, the game will decide the TVC championship. The winner gets the league title outright. That’s nothing new.

It was the same case a year ago, and in many seasons before that.

“I wouldn’t know it any other way,” Athens coach Ryan Adams said. “As a head coach, every time we’ve been vying for a league championship, it’s been decided in week 10. I really don’t know anything different.”

As usual, the Doc Kroner Trophy will go to the winner. Athens held the hardware for a five-year stretch before Nelsonville-York claimed it — and the league title — in a 41-24 victory last year at Boston Field.

What is different is the playoff angle for both side. Nelsonville-York has already locked up a playoff spot in Division VI, Region 23. A win simply means the Buckeyes will be the top seed in their region when the OHSAA playoffs begin.

Athens doesn’t have that luxury. The Bulldogs head into the weekend as the No. 10 team in the Division III, Region 11 computer points standings. Athens is nearly three full points behind the eighth-place team (Granville). Mathematically, the Bulldogs remain alive.

But with so many teams ahead of Athens in the standings playing teams just behind the ‘Dogs — Tri-Valley vs. Maysville, and New Philadelphia vs. Dover are the two biggest examples — charting a path to the postseason is a mind-numbing exercise in plotting out seemingly endless scenarios.

Adams put it more succinctly.

“The playoff picture doesn’t look real promising for us, win or lose,” he said. “It’s one of those weeks all your eggs are in the basket.

“The only place that we’re going to get our satisfaction is going be with what happens on Friday,” he continued. “It’s going to be the last football game for a lot of kids in our locker room. It’s the last time they’re going to play together.

“We’re approaching it that way,” Adams concluded. “If we win and happen to make the playoffs, that’s just gravy. All our sights are on the team up north.”

Athens, which has won seven straight games this season, will take any edge or motivational tactic it can use. The Buckeyes have had a perfect run through the regular season so far, are ranked No. 4 in the state in Division VI in the AP poll, and are gunning for their first 10-0 season since 1997.

Nelsonville-York has won 16 consecutive regular-season games, and is a perfect 11-0 in league play under second-year head coach Rusty Richards.

By coupling an uber-aggressive defense, which fires off linebacker blitzes as quickly and often as the weather changes in Ohio, with a offense built on speed that attacks the edges and vertically, the Buckeyes have crafted a dynamic season that doesn’t adhere to typical N-Y traditions.

Senior quarterback Garrett Maiden has been a dual-threat for N-Y with 1,351 passing yards and 538 rushing yards, plus a combined 25 touchdowns accounted for. If Maiden isn’t attacking the edge, then speedy sophomore Keegan Wilburn often is. Wilburn is Athens County’s leading rusher this season (911 yards, 10 touchdowns), but is also a pass-catching threat (21-370, 5 TDs).

Fullback Colt Yinger (613, 6 TDs) provides sometimes explosive power out of the backfield, and a trio of flankers (Chris Cook, Jonathan Richards and Shakim Williams) give N-Y lots of variety of versatility.

The Buckeyes can score in a lot of ways, and attack defensively as well with LB Ronnie Wend spearheading a blitz-heavy, man-coverage defense. N-Y is averaging 36 points a game, giving up just 12 per contest, and has allowed only two teams all season to keep a game to within a single score (Newark Catholic and Vinton County County).

Adams said the biggest thing the Bulldogs can do to help their own cause on Friday is to match the Buckeyes’ enthusiasm.

“You have to match their intensity and effort,” he said. “Everything else has to come after you do that.”

Athens can match the Buckeyes in many aspects. The Bulldogs average 28.3 points a game, and were a touch better defensively (9.9 allowed compared to N-Y’s 11.9).

The Bulldogs are balanced enough offensively to perhaps make the Buckeyes aggressive defense back off to a degree. Running backs Evan Adams (688, 6 TDs) and Mikel Casteel (488, 3 TDs) have seen more work as the year wore on.

Quarterback Clay Davis has thrown for 1,968 yards and 22 touchdowns, and the Bulldogs have big play threats. Senior flanker Treyce Albin (42 catches, 763 yards, 9 touchdowns) is explosive, while Robert Dickleman (31-510, 6 TDs) and a rapidly-improving Nate Trainer (11-263, 2 TDs) are good complements.

But Adams believes the game, like it so often does, will come down to the line of scrimmage. A stout, and deep, defensive line has been a Bulldog strength all season. Athens will need the group to play well.

“I put our defensive line up against about anybody,” Adams said.

“It’s like any other championship game that’s probably ever been talked about in the history of football,” he added. “It’s all going to be determined by what happens up front.”

Both teams have survived close calls along the way during the gauntlet of league games to ensure another winner-take-all scenario on the final night of the regular season. Athens has been clamoring to reach its full offensive potential much of the year.

But there’s no more time to worry about that. The Bulldogs have one game left, and it’s time to see what they got.

“I think they understand the gravity of this game,” Adams said. “They understand a whole lot of hopes and dreams are hanging on this one.

“There’s no doubt in my mind they’re going to come ready to play.”

Email at jarkley@athensmessenger.com; follow on Twitter @JasonAmessenger

Mister Bee
Varsity

Post by Mister Bee »

Buckeyes. It will be close

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

ITS GAMEDAY BUCKEYES!

The Buckeye Express will be pulling into the Plains for it's last scheduled stop of the season tonight.
It's all on the line in week 10! The fans will be rockin and the Buckeyes will be rollin.........
Thee Nelsonville-York Buckeyes have been chasing perfection and tonight's the night,
Time to do work Buckeyes!
WOOOOOOOOO!!!

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

go buckeyes.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

GOOD LUCK NY! GO BUCKEYES!!

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Abe Froman wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:18 am I would have said NY all day until last Friday, Athens may pull this one out. At their place is worth something. I will say Athens by 5 in a barnburner.
Used one of my lifelines and phoned a friend. Changing it up to NY. Final Answer.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Abe Froman wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:54 am
Abe Froman wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:18 am I would have said NY all day until last Friday, Athens may pull this one out. At their place is worth something. I will say Athens by 5 in a barnburner.
Used one of my lifelines and phoned a friend. Changing it up to NY. Final Answer.
smart friend ya have there

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
i83
Freshman Team

Post by i83 »

U might want to phone a friend on the Jackson game .

SEOALLivesMatter
Waterboy

Post by SEOALLivesMatter »

countywide35 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:01 am
Abe Froman wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:54 am
smart friend ya have there
Yes, smart friend. I've changed my mind as well. I first thought NY would win by a few scores but now can see NY with a running clock.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

It's been a very emotional morning for the Buckeye Community.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
tric118
All State

Post by tric118 »

I just want to say BEST of LUCK to both teams. Should be a great game between two heavyweights. Hoping for a clean game and that all players come out healthy. Again best of luck. Prayers to our QB he will be playing with a heavy heart tonight, but his Daddy will be watching from the front row the best seat in the house RIP Tom Maiden you will be missed my friend. darn

i83
Freshman Team

Post by i83 »

Prayers

NY BUCKS
All State

Post by NY BUCKS »

Prayers...
Stay focused Buckeyes. .Dig in all leave it all on field. .

Return to “Football”