Southeastern(48) @ (12)Westfall

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Wow, can Southeastern finish 10-0??

Westfall on the road will be tough and Adena kept them within 7 last week.

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
PantherPaw78
Riding the Bench

Re: WK10 (9-0) Southeastern @ (3-6) Westfall

Post by PantherPaw78 »

Southeastern squeaks to 10 - 0. SE has tried to get
more balance on offense the last couple of weeks, with mixed results. Defensively, they looked worn down against Adena and that is a huge concern. They don't know what quit is, but I fear they may not have much left in the tank going into week 11.

Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

If I was westfall I would put 9 in the box on def. and on offense I would stay in empty and either pass of run qb. Gonna have to play perfect to win this game. Southeastern prolly gets the gold ball but I wouldn’t look for them to do anything in the post season.

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

mattash wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:42 am Wow, can Southeastern finish 10-0??

Westfall on the road will be tough and Adena kept them within 7 last week.
Adena game wasn't really that close. SE rolled up 400+ yards before they started trying some different things on offense. I am a bit worried about this Westfall game, can be a tough place to play and a lot of pressure on a Panthers team that has never been in this situation. I think SE wins an uncomfortably close game, and puts their first ever Gold Ball in the trophy case!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Westfall is capable of breaking off some big plays and their QB is dynamic, but really the Panthers shouldn't have any trouble.

BullTank
Riding the Bench

Post by BullTank »

WF has to air it out to beat SE...and more importantly stay disciplined. Unioto would have beat SE by 3 scores if they were disciplined. Learn from their mistakes!

BullTank
Riding the Bench

Post by BullTank »

I still think the Panthers pull it off with relative ease and complete the perfect season. Good for them and their community!

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Honestly as Fort Frye I wouldn’t mind playing Southeastern.

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

EasternDspy wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:43 pm Honestly as Fort Frye I wouldn’t mind playing Southeastern.
I assume most teams in R23 would not mind playing SE. They're not a traditional power, and have a lot of 2-way players. I think most schools this size have a lot of 2-way guys, but SE's last trip to the playoffs, they dressed about 25 kids, and Bishop Ready dressed about 70.

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

Rolltanks wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:57 pm If I was westfall I would put 9 in the box on def. and on offense I would stay in empty and either pass of run qb. Gonna have to play perfect to win this game. Southeastern prolly gets the gold ball but I wouldn’t look for them to do anything in the post season.

Common, and most times, critical mistake against double wing teams. Good luck to Coach Gallaugher and his boys. Well deserved.

Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

bfry wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:25 am
Rolltanks wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:57 pm If I was westfall I would put 9 in the box on def. and on offense I would stay in empty and either pass of run qb. Gonna have to play perfect to win this game. Southeastern prolly gets the gold ball but I wouldn’t look for them to do anything in the post season.

Common, and most times, critical mistake against double wing teams. Good luck to Coach Gallaugher and his boys. Well deserved.
It will take that many for westfall to stop the run. As a former nwc guy I have seen endless amounts of wing t double wing offense. Westfall is weak against the run. Se uses the qb and counter for big plays on the edge. 99 percent of the time the run a b gap toss play. As long as you keep two back on the tight ends you are fine against the pass as lon as they READ THERE KEY. You have to make them pass at all cost. 2 on 2 corners have flats and are also force players. Other front 7 have to sell out on the run. Unioto defense did a great job but ask there 2 deep safeties it’s easy in practice but when you get tired and look in the backfield the te gets behind you. 2 times 2 tds. Westfall has to stop big run plays first.

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

Rolltanks wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:41 am
bfry wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:25 am

It will take that many for westfall to stop the run. As a former nwc guy I have seen endless amounts of wing t double wing offense. Westfall is weak against the run. Se uses the qb and counter for big plays on the edge. 99 percent of the time the run a b gap toss play. As long as you keep two back on the tight ends you are fine against the pass as lon as they READ THERE KEY. You have to make them pass at all cost. 2 on 2 corners have flats and are also force players. Other front 7 have to sell out on the run. Unioto defense did a great job but ask there 2 deep safeties it’s easy in practice but when you get tired and look in the backfield the te gets behind you. 2 times 2 tds. Westfall has to stop big run plays first.
Ran the double wing for 4 years as a head coach. Not trying to argue. Loved it when teams attempted what you describe here.

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

SE isn't incapable of throwing the ball by any means. Ruby is accurate with a pretty good arm. They will definitely take their shots when the opportunity presents itself.

PantherPaw78
Riding the Bench

Post by PantherPaw78 »

Adena put all 11 within 5-7 yards of the football the whole game. SE tight ends had a field day. SE rushing attack actually lost momentum in the second half, but they began moving the ball in 4 & 5 wide sets.

I counted at least 4 dropped picks by the SE defense. Imho the dropped interceptions kept Adena in the ballgame.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

What kind of offense Southeastern run?

Michael Scott
PantherPaw78
Riding the Bench

Post by PantherPaw78 »

Almost exclusively double wing. The few times they've had to run a two-minute/hurry up, they've gone multiple receivers and looked good doing it. Last week they went in and out of spread formations, I think to rest Houser & Stauffer's legs more than anything.

They have 3 - 4 very capable receivers, including the TE's.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Westfall has the athletes to make this a game, but they can't turn the ball over. Turnovers have been a big problem for them this season. Defense isn't as bad as it has been in the past. Turnovers and the offense struggling to move the football at times has put the defense in a lot of bad positions.

mattash
Site Admin

Re: Southeastern(48) @ (12)Westfall

Post by mattash »

Congrats 10-0

Michael Scott
se-alum
All Conference

Re: Southeastern(48) @ (12)Westfall

Post by se-alum »

Westfall and SE penalties kept it close in the first half. Westfall had a chance to take a 2 TD lead in the first, but an int on the goal line stopped the momentum. SE wore down Westfall in the 2nd half, and the Mustangs began turning the ball over and giving up big runs to Stauffer and Houser. SE's kicking game is really going to hurt them in the playoffs i'm afraid. They virtually guarantee the opposing team to start on the 35-40yard line any time they kickoff, and PAT have been suspect at best in the games I've watched.

Return to “Football”