Round 1 Playoffs DVI , R23 #5 (8-2) Northmor @ #4 (9-1) Fort Frye

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: Round 1 Playoffs DVI , R23 #5 (8-2) Northmor @ #4 (9-1) Fort Frye

Post by EasternDspy »

Fort Frye is now going 3 years of playing a MOAC/ (Current) KMAC opponent.

All in Beverly
Fredericktown
Centerburg
Northmor

Jughead
Waterboy

Post by Jughead »

With 3 days of rain forecasted could be a muddy field not sure who it helps more but with ff power game I would think it might favor the cadets

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

The field don’t hold rain well

icanpickem
All Conference

Post by icanpickem »

EasternDspy wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:03 am
I want to read it but it’s a bad link.
Northmor Feeling Good and Confident

Northmor is playing on week 11 of the high school football season for the first time ever.

They are certainly the feel good story of the fall of 2017. The girls’ volleyball team at Northmor made the district final too.

The football team plays at Beverly Fort Frye (9-1) on Friday night in a first round game in division six.

They say there is nothing in a school’s history like their first district title in basketball or their first playoff appearance in the football. Coach Scott Armrose says this is a special time at Northmor. “It feels great, it really does. I am just happy to be a part of it. It’s exciting for our community. It’s exciting for our coaching staff. It’s exciting for our players. It’s an exciting time to be involved in Northmor football,” he said.

The goal of the football program is to be excited, but stay focused. Armrose says they won’t be easy. “That is the challenge. There is so much excitement in our school right now. We told the boys this is a regular week of practice. We are going to stay focused. We are going to approach it like a regular week. We will keep our schedule the same. Everything is exactly the same. It is just a week, it is an extension of the season. We are going to try and be consistent with what we have done all year,” said Armrose.

Fort Frye has lost only once this year, that coming in week two (6-0) to Johnstown Northridge. The Cadets have allowed only 81 points all season, that’s just over a touchdown a game. In mid-season they produced three shutouts in four games. Over the last seven games they have scored at least 30 points in six of them, all wins.

Armrose says the Cadets are a very physical team, much like the team they played last week in Highland. “Fort Frye really reminds us a lot of Highland. They are a big, physical team. Their colors are similar to Highland. They run a similar offense to Highland. They like to run the ball and work the clock. They are physical on defense. They aren’t real big up front defensively, but they’ve got really good team speed. They are a tough football team,” he told Swankonsports.com on Sunday evening, “They are 9-1 on their season. They have a lot of big wins. They lost early in the year and they have kind of gotten on a roll. This will be their third straight year in the playoffs. They lost last year in the regional championship game.”

Northmor (8-2) beat Highland (34-12) last Friday, stopping Highland from winning an outright title in the Knox Morrow Athletic Conference. Armrose says that was their best win their best win this year. He liked their approach to the game. “We are a confident football team right now, we really are. That is what we told our boys going into last week with Highland. Highland was we felt the best team we had played all season. We said if we play our best football and go into the game relaxed and confident. Our boys are certainly always relaxed and they play confident all night long and I think we will continue to do that. We play our best football when we are relaxed and we are out there having fun we play with confidence and that is what these boys do,” said Armrose.

Northmor has one the biggest playmakers in this part of the state in quarterback Demetrious Johnson. Armrose says he thinks the Fort Frye coaching staff has reviewed their film more than once. “We can’t be a match-up that anybody looks forward to. When you get a glance at Demetrious Johnson on film you don’t say, oh good, we play these guys. I know we are a nightmare as far as match ups go, we really are. Then as they start to watch Demetrious they see the other weapons that we have. We are a tough match up without a doubt just from the standpoint of watching “Meechie” offensively,” he said.

Published 10/30/17

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

When one players rushing total is over 80 % of your offense that makes you one demsional.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

While I have faith in Fort Frye's ability to win this, there are some things you can't really practice for. It seems like a fairly even matchup to me, as befits a 4-5 matchup.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

It’s going to be so sloppy not very good for tailgating.

Stan_Marsh
JV Team

Post by Stan_Marsh »

Alright here's what I got in watching Northmor play in 3 ball games this fall and trying to re-search up as much as possible on Forts season which I'll admit I've been rather unsuccessful in doing so. So my disclaimer is I have admittingly not seen FF play this year.....the closest thing I've seen is a common opposite between Fort and Northridge in which I've seen Utica. I was not impressed with Utica at all, I know they took Northridge into OT and I know Northridge beat FF, BUT throw the records out of the Northridge and Utica game....from what I understand that's a pretty heated rivalry....also FF and Northridge was very early in the season and scores since then suggest that FF responded very well after that L maybe even got a little angry and have improved tremendously and have been on a mission ever since. Golden rule as well in my book is that bad teams just DONT make the playoffs in Ohio. So I'm assuming that Fort Frye is probably a totally different team now then what they were in Week 2. Fair to say Fort faithful? Especially considering they turned around the very next week and gave Waterford their only L on the season. I've seen Northmor play against Danville, East Knox, and Highland. Saw Northmor lose 34-41 against Danville, saw Northmor lose 28-32 against EK, saw Northmor beat Highland 34-12... now the interesting part here is that during the season Highland beat Danville 26-0 and they also beat EK 28-7. What made Northmor lose to 2 schools that both got beat by Highland whom Northmor was able to beat? Field Position and the ability to throw the ball. Highland beat EK and Danville, but lost to Northmor because not only was Highland not able to throw last Friday, but also gave Northmor the ball on their own side of the 50 for 4 of Northmors 5 Scores. 2 INT 1 Fumble and 1 Special Teams scenario that went bad resulting in Northmor getting the ball on Highlands 30. Meechie and Becker are problems enough on their own you can't give them good field position lol Highland was able to get through EK and Danville, because when they played Danville their passing game was on when they needed, when they played EK, EK stacked the box like Northmor did, but it just was not enough, also obviously Highland only surrendered 7 in those 2 combined, but those 2 games are kind of besides the point. EK and Danville was able to beat Northmor because they were able to move through the air plain and simple....and where they both still resulted in giving up 28-34 points...they didn't give Northmor the ball on their own side of the 50...they didn't help ol Meechie out in that category lol now from that article it appears that Fort runs a similar offense to Highland, but according to some posts on here Fort does not throw a whole bunch, but they appear to be able to when they need to correct? If that's the case then that is a positive in Fort Fryes favor. If Northmor gives Fort Frye a similar defensive gameplan that they gave to Highland then I think (remember haven't seen the Cadets play,) but I think that will give Fort Frye some fits in trying to run the football. However, like stated earlier that could all change if Fort can put together some nice play actions here and there to keep Northmor honest. I don't know what Northmor would do in response to that, because Highland was never able to get the air attack moving consistently at least....when they did have success Northmor remained stubborn and it seemed to pay off. If Fort has some success through the air and it causes Northmor to lighten up the box then I think Fort would probably have a hay day running the ball...my guess is that Northmor would remain stubborn though and if you beat them through the air once or twice they'll continue to take that chance. Northmor with the ball i don't know what to say...Meechie is a special ball carrier and the Becker kid beside him is pretty fast too. I don't know what you would consider their offense, I consider it a wild cat version of the wing-t. Their gonna have their success at times, I guess the trick is doing your best to limit that success, limit their possessions by NOT turning the ball over, and make them start drives inside their own 40. The 42-28 prediction I made a day or so ago I'm gonna admit was a little bit ridiculous. I see the MOST amount of points Fort has surrendered this year is 21... I think I'm going to predict the Knights to score 28 and Fort to score shoot I don't know 24. That's no disrespect to the Cadets, nor an attempt to blow smoke towards Northmor, I think Northmor wins, I think 42 points that I stated earlier may be unreasonable and like I said...haven't seen Fort. Playoff football can be tough to predict when you haven't seen both. I certainly wish both schools best of luck! Not sure if I'll catch this game or not, I know it's one of the ones on my list to possibly catch....sucks that they're all on Friday now :cry:

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Stan_Marsh wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:34 pm Alright here's what I got in watching Northmor play in 3 ball games this fall and trying to re-search up as much as possible on Forts season which I'll admit I've been rather unsuccessful in doing so. So my disclaimer is I have admittingly not seen FF play this year.....the closest thing I've seen is a common opposite between Fort and Northridge in which I've seen Utica. I was not impressed with Utica at all, I know they took Northridge into OT and I know Northridge beat FF, BUT throw the records out of the Northridge and Utica game....from what I understand that's a pretty heated rivalry....also FF and Northridge was very early in the season and scores since then suggest that FF responded very well after that L maybe even got a little angry and have improved tremendously and have been on a mission ever since. Golden rule as well in my book is that bad teams just DONT make the playoffs in Ohio. So I'm assuming that Fort Frye is probably a totally different team now then what they were in Week 2. Fair to say Fort faithful? Especially considering they turned around the very next week and gave Waterford their only L on the season. I've seen Northmor play against Danville, East Knox, and Highland. Saw Northmor lose 34-41 against Danville, saw Northmor lose 28-32 against EK, saw Northmor beat Highland 34-12... now the interesting part here is that during the season Highland beat Danville 26-0 and they also beat EK 28-7. What made Northmor lose to 2 schools that both got beat by Highland whom Northmor was able to beat? Field Position and the ability to throw the ball. Highland beat EK and Danville, but lost to Northmor because not only was Highland not able to throw last Friday, but also gave Northmor the ball on their own side of the 50 for 4 of Northmors 5 Scores. 2 INT 1 Fumble and 1 Special Teams scenario that went bad resulting in Northmor getting the ball on Highlands 30. Meechie and Becker are problems enough on their own you can't give them good field position lol Highland was able to get through EK and Danville, because when they played Danville their passing game was on when they needed, when they played EK, EK stacked the box like Northmor did, but it just was not enough, also obviously Highland only surrendered 7 in those 2 combined, but those 2 games are kind of besides the point. EK and Danville was able to beat Northmor because they were able to move through the air plain and simple....and where they both still resulted in giving up 28-34 points...they didn't give Northmor the ball on their own side of the 50...they didn't help ol Meechie out in that category lol now from that article it appears that Fort runs a similar offense to Highland, but according to some posts on here Fort does not throw a whole bunch, but they appear to be able to when they need to correct? If that's the case then that is a positive in Fort Fryes favor. If Northmor gives Fort Frye a similar defensive gameplan that they gave to Highland then I think (remember haven't seen the Cadets play,) but I think that will give Fort Frye some fits in trying to run the football. However, like stated earlier that could all change if Fort can put together some nice play actions here and there to keep Northmor honest. I don't know what Northmor would do in response to that, because Highland was never able to get the air attack moving consistently at least....when they did have success Northmor remained stubborn and it seemed to pay off. If Fort has some success through the air and it causes Northmor to lighten up the box then I think Fort would probably have a hay day running the ball...my guess is that Northmor would remain stubborn though and if you beat them through the air once or twice they'll continue to take that chance. Northmor with the ball i don't know what to say...Meechie is a special ball carrier and the Becker kid beside him is pretty fast too. I don't know what you would consider their offense, I consider it a wild cat version of the wing-t. Their gonna have their success at times, I guess the trick is doing your best to limit that success, limit their possessions by NOT turning the ball over, and make them start drives inside their own 40. The 42-28 prediction I made a day or so ago I'm gonna admit was a little bit ridiculous. I see the MOST amount of points Fort has surrendered this year is 21... I think I'm going to predict the Knights to score 28 and Fort to score shoot I don't know 24. That's no disrespect to the Cadets, nor an attempt to blow smoke towards Northmor, I think Northmor wins, I think 42 points that I stated earlier may be unreasonable and like I said...haven't seen Fort. Playoff football can be tough to predict when you haven't seen both. I certainly wish both schools best of luck! Not sure if I'll catch this game or not, I know it's one of the ones on my list to possibly catch....sucks that they're all on Friday now :cry:
Totally a fair post. I don’t know much about Highland but I have heard that we’re similar to them. I think anyone on here would be lying if they said they knew for certain what was going to happen. I mean I’m shocked that Fort Frye even went (9-1) after losing 17 Srs. FF has not had to throw in many times this year bc thepower run game has been so dominate. The Cadets D has set up a lot of points for the Cadets. Coach Huck is great at adjusting I’m sure if they stop the run he will change it up. Is Northmor big on the DLine?

Stan_Marsh
JV Team

Post by Stan_Marsh »

I wouldn't necessarily consider them big for lineman, but I would consider them lean and strong looking kids. I seem to have lost my rosters (which tend to have their inaccuracies at times anyways) I would guess from sight that they range from 5'9"-6'2" to 180-230lb. Maybe?

Impressed to say the least with Fort coming back and going 9-1 after losing that impressive senior class. Shows the young boys must have bought in and jump in to take their lumps on scout teams when their young...tends to pay off when it's their turn when their older.

Stan_Marsh
JV Team

Post by Stan_Marsh »

In terms of the Highland Fort comparison I wouldn't know much. I'm assuming the Fort Frye kids and the Northmor kids know that comparison well as Northmor played Highland and are currently studying Fort, Fort obviously hasn't played Highland, but with Highland and NM being the week 10 game I assume the Fort boys have that film (obviously their watching Northmor though, not Highland lol) I caught a handful of the Highland games the NM one obviously their game with EK and Danville, 2 of their Non leaguers with Ontario and Caledonia River Valley. I know Highland played a pretty physical defense, starting defense has surrendered around 14 PPG, their strength is the running game they have one back over 1,000 anothe back around 800-900 and a third back at 600. Early in the year when they needed to throw it was successful...it just wasn't clicking for them last Friday. If that sounds comparible to Fort Frye then maybe that helps that comparison lol and since I admitted on my last post of catching Utica which was Week 1 vs Centerburg you now know where I've been all year with the exceptions of Week 6 and 8 lol

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Cadets defense ended up ranking 3rd in the state in D6 allowing 8.1 ppg (lol cheap Td by SCC might of cost them ). Northmor D is not as bad as advertised allowing 16.1 ppg. That ranked 27th.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Also Drew Pastuer has Fort Frye by 2.

Region 23 on Twitter predicted Fort 34-21

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

GOOD LUCK TO FORT FRYE

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
efarns
S

Post by efarns »

While I understand putting the ball in the hands of your best player, I feel like a better team would make a point to be more balanced.

OICU812
Varsity

Post by OICU812 »

Northmore is not a great passing team, but Johnson is a special talent with ball...and he touches it every snap. Regardless of the outcome you have to appreciate the electric this young man brings to the field. Their defense is not great, so they have to outscore you to win. Enjoy the show!

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

The rain is supposed to be gone by Friday morning. Maybe the field will not be a mud pit for the game.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

efarns wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:31 pm The rain is supposed to be gone by Friday morning. Maybe the field will not be a mud pit for the game.
It will still be messy that field don’t hold rain well.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

Reacting to some of what Stan Marsh said: I agree that special teams establishing field position could be the key to the game. I felt like Cadet special teams were a big part of their win last week, and their loss in week 2. The kicking game has been uneven, but definite improvement has been made.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Part of the article in the times

Defensively, Fort Frye will lean on linebackers Bradford, Schob and Brenden Huck, who recorded 95, 68 and 65 tackles this season, respectively.

“They have the best linebackers we’ve seen all year,” Armrose said.

Return to “Football”