Wheelersburg and Division 5 State Playoff Thoughts

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Wheelersburg and Division 5 State Playoff Thoughts

Post by LucasDavenport »

Wheelersburg is the favorite of Drew Pasteur and that's enough for me to feel good about their chances. I'm going to use Joe Eitel's info for the start of this thread and then you all can pick it apart or add to it as you see fit.

I will start with Region 17.

Canfield South Range is the obvious choice to come out of this Region. However there are a few traps for them along the way out of 17. Most Notably Akron Manchester who currently sits 4th. Gilmour Academy who is currently in 6th plays 8-1 D6 Lima CC tonight and could bump up to 2nd or 3rd. This makes picking matchups difficult this morning but we know Manchester can't slide past 5th so South Range and Manchester look like a lock to play in the Regional Semis. The winner of this game vs Sullivan Black River in the finals.

I truly think this Region's best two teams are South Range and Akron Manchester. So winner of their Semi comes out of Region 17 in my opinion.

Grand Valley is 10-0 but I think that's a mirage.

If a different team comes out then I think that's even better for Wheelersburg.

Region 18.

This is the one I know the least about. Again, I'm not using info from Pasteurs website this morning---only what I see from Eitel. Someone can come behind me and pick this apart if they would like.

This Region is more settled than 17 as Genoa Area is the only team who can move and they can only move from 7 to 6 which doesn't change much.

#1 State ranked Pemberville Eastwood lies in this Region but the AP is notorious for being wrong at the top spot. I think their first round game vs Swanton could be very tough. 8 seed Swanton lost to outside looking in Liberty Center but defeated Wauseon and 3 seed Archbold in week 10 in 4 ot to get in. And Archbold is the wild card in this Region. They have good wins and good losses. It's hard to find good wins by 2 seed Marion Pleasant or 6 seed Indian Lake. You can find good losses but not good wins. Same for 4 seed Milan Edison. You can find good losses but not a good win. 7 seed Genoa Area is the only team to give Eastwood a close game the entire season but can they beat 2 seed Marion Pleasant? No idea.

So for now I'm picking The winner of Pemberville Eastwood v Swanton to win their semi and play either Pleasant or Archbold in the Finals.

This Region might be the toughest to pick but also has the least likely State Finalist or Champion. Whoever comes out--- I look for them to get knocked out in the State Semi.

I will go with Pemberville Eastwood for now. But, man I think week 11 will tell us a great deal about them.
Last edited by LucasDavenport on Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Re: Wheelersburg and Division 5 State Playoff Thoughts

Post by LucasDavenport »

Region 19.

I think this is Burg's Region to lose. Bishop Ready should at least give them some resistance in week 11. But probably for 1 quarter and a half of the 2nd.

I look for Columbus Academy to beat Union Local and test the Pirates more than Ready. They are the 2nd or 3rd best team in this Region in my opinion. Once Burg disposes of them then I think Johnstown Monroe waits in the Regional Finals after defeating Portsmouth West in Week 12.

Johnstown Monroe will be a solid out for The Pirates and I think a running clock won't happen.

Wheelersburg comes out and we wait to see who the State matches them up with. But I suspect it will be Region 20 champion.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Region 20. First question? How good is 7 seed and MAC rep Anna? They were the choice to win this one before the QB was limited due to poor hoop running skills. The MAC has earned the right to be feared.

This Region also features 3 undefeated teams seeded 4-6 and the best win you can find is 8-2 D6 Mechanicsburg who 5 seed West Jeff and 6 seed Jamestown Greenview both defeated. 4 seed Bethel Tate is undefeated and not tested due to a poor schedule.

I look for 1 seed Miami East to play 5 seed West Jefferson and 7 seed Anna to play 3 seed CHCA in the semis. The only one of those 4 I don't feel strongly about is 3 seed CHCA. But it's hard to pick Jamestown looking at their schedule.

West Jeff vs Anna in the Final. Anna coming out.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

West in my opinion is the second best team in the region. Johnstown a close second. Burg should win region unless something really weird happens like a snow squall.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

So I have South Range v Eastwood in one Semi and

Wheelersburg v Anna in another.

South Range v Wheelersburg in the Final.

Wheelersburg as my Champion.

Good luck to the Pirates.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Burg probably drew the toughest road to the semis out of everyone in region 19. Ready, CA, Monroe or West. CA has lust it’s luster it had early in the season. I am anxious to see what they bring to the playoffs.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

LucasDavenport wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:49 am So I have South Range v Eastwood in one Semi and

Wheelersburg v Anna in another.

South Range v Wheelersburg in the Final.

Wheelersburg as my Champion.

Good luck to the Pirates.
thanks. hopefully your right

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

I realized I picked 3 #1 seeds to advance to the State Semis so nothing earth shattering. But I wouldn't be surprised to see Pemberville Eastwood lose in week 11. I think they have the toughest first round matchup of the 1 seeds.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Anna is battle tested. Their scores are a bit puzzling but it's hard to tell what games the quarterback played and how healthy he is.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Westfan wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:05 pm Anna is battle tested. Their scores are a bit puzzling but it's hard to tell what games the quarterback played and how healthy he is.
He can ball. Great qb. Not really puzzling when you play in the best small school conference in the state. They have a solid schedule. They are the best team in region 20!!

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

Westfan wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:05 pm Anna is battle tested. Their scores are a bit puzzling but it's hard to tell what games the quarterback played and how healthy he is.
I watched Anna play coldwater. They are a decent team. Not much depth though. The qb has a nice arm but isn't very mobile. If pressured he just bottled up.

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

I think west Jefferson takes region 20..

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

BurgGrad6 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:09 pm I think west Jefferson takes region 20..
?????REALLY?????? Are you ok? 😂
They only played 2 teams with winning records and 1 D5. The rest are 6&7’s. I bet if they get in a tight one. They’ll fold.

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:15 pm
BurgGrad6 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:09 pm I think west Jefferson takes region 20..
?????REALLY?????? Are you ok? 😂
They only played 2 teams with winning records and 1 D5. The rest are 6&7’s. I bet if they get in a tight one. They’ll fold.
Find out this Friday I guess..

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

And this is how you lose to Johnstown week 13

ohwkGREATNESSyrio
All Conference

Post by ohwkGREATNESSyrio »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:07 pm
He can ball. Great qb. Not really puzzling when you play in the best small school conference in the state. They have a solid schedule. They are the best team in region 20!!
Top 3 at best is anna.

I AM HARMS WAY. Life is a knive fight. Bring guns for the fun.
BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

Raider6309 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:17 pm And this is how you lose to Johnstown week 13
No one is saying that can't happen.... he'll burg could lose to bishop ready Friday... enjoy basketball season.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

So when Burg hangs its state title banner, will it be all the colors of the schools represented on Burgs team

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

This is southern ohios best shot to win it all since the Ironton days . Go Burg

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

Raider6309 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:46 pm So when Burg hangs its state title banner, will it be all the colors of the schools represented on Burgs team
:roll: and what colors are those? What is burgs competitive balance number??

Return to “Football”