Round 1 Playoffs DVII , R27 #6 (6-4) River @ #3 Harvest Prep

formerfcfan
SEOP

Re: Round 1 Playoffs DVII , R27 #6 (6-4) River @ #3 Harvest Prep

Post by formerfcfan »

wcduttonradio wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:53 am
wcduttonradio wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:53 am
First, welcome over; if you do relocate to central OH, you will find a great place to call ‘home.’ If you move to either Ashville or Canal Winchester, you’ll be in a good, mid-sized outer ring suburb of Columbus. In terms of following the local team, should you the interest, both towns have D2 football programs, equivalent to AAA in WV. If you’re interested in following a smaller program, Amanda-Clearcreek is D4 (AA by WV standards) and has an incredibly solid football tradition; above a Wheeling Central Cath, perhaps quality level of Linsey (sp?)

In terms of radio opportunities: I imagine opportunities would exist down around Circleville (15-20 minute drive from Ashville,) Washington Court House (25-30 minute drive) and Chillicothe (30+ minute commute.) But that’s just the communities that are furthest outlying from Columbus. If you head east, you’ll be in the Lancaster area and the villages eastward; several radio opportunities exist. There could be potential in Columbus.

As for the game, River is tough; but, they may struggle to matchup well with Harvest Prep. How big is River’s line this year? Are they conditioned well enough to play both ways for four quarters against a talented running back & a line anchored by a Wisconsin commit?

HP is strong. Some will cry “schedule!”, but nothing suggests their league is weaker top-to-bottom than their regional counterparts; additionally, look at their non-league. They can play with some bigger schools. RB is solid.

Food? If by I-70 West, look for locations around Brice Road (which is effectively where Jack Johnson Field/WHC;HPS is located.) If you have a little more time, maybe even the difference of 20-25 minutes, check out locations on both sides of the OH-256 exit, which puts you 15-20 minutes away from the game.

wcduttonradio
Waterboy

Post by wcduttonradio »

formerfcfan wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:42 pm First, welcome over; if you do relocate to central OH, you will find a great place to call ‘home.’ If you move to either Ashville or Canal Winchester, you’ll be in a good, mid-sized outer ring suburb of Columbus. In terms of following the local team, should you the interest, both towns have D2 football programs, equivalent to AAA in WV. If you’re interested in following a smaller program, Amanda-Clearcreek is D4 (AA by WV standards) and has an incredibly solid football tradition; above a Wheeling Central Cath, perhaps quality level of Linsey (sp?)

In terms of radio opportunities: I imagine opportunities would exist down around Circleville (15-20 minute drive from Ashville,) Washington Court House (25-30 minute drive) and Chillicothe (30+ minute commute.) But that’s just the communities that are furthest outlying from Columbus. If you head east, you’ll be in the Lancaster area and the villages eastward; several radio opportunities exist. There could be potential in Columbus.

As for the game, River is tough; but, they may struggle to matchup well with Harvest Prep. How big is River’s line this year? Are they conditioned well enough to play both ways for four quarters against a talented running back & a line anchored by a Wisconsin commit?

HP is strong. Some will cry “schedule!”, but nothing suggests their league is weaker top-to-bottom than their regional counterparts; additionally, look at their non-league. They can play with some bigger schools. RB is solid.

Food? If by I-70 West, look for locations around Brice Road (which is effectively where Jack Johnson Field/WHC;HPS is located.) If you have a little more time, maybe even the difference of 20-25 minutes, check out locations on both sides of the OH-256 exit, which puts you 15-20 minutes away from the game.
Thanks for the welcome! Yeah, the funny thing about this matchup is that my fiancé lives exactly a 1/2 mile from Jack Johnson Field in Canal. It's a beautiful area. I already know some of the youth members from her church that play for the Teays Valley Vikings in Ashville. And yes, I'm impressed about Amanda-Clearcreek's nickname... the Aces. I'm just planning on attending games next year, to take in the atmosphere. I don't enjoy anything more than a school and community that goes all out in support of their programs. I got to see one of the better examples, earlier this season at Shadyside, when they hosted River.

Thanks for the heads up on radio opportunities, as well. I even thought about starting an internet streaming network covering a number of key matchups in the area for schools who don't continually get the opportunity to be broadcasted. I have experience in play-by-play, color, sideline, board-op, and even broadcast sales. It's tempting to look into that option.

River might just be outmatched, but they'll be ready to compete. River's O-Line is very young, as they're being led by Senior Luc Baker. Overall, they try to rotate six different kids on the line, to contend with fatigue. They handled themselves well versus Lucas, a couple weeks ago, as they matched or even outdid Lucas in terms of stamina for the entire course of the game. Like I've heard from other coaches, River can be explosive, at times, that is if Lukas Isaly, Drew Wagnild and Drew Dietz are on their top games. Yeah, I was getting ready to say... how many kids are already committed to play at the collegiate level for Harvest Prep? They've got a really nice program going for them there.

Thanks for the food ideas! I was even thinking of taking the guys from our crew to the Olive Branch Pizzeria in Canal Winchester. Awesome pizza at a reasonable price.

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

Harvest preps running back is a beast!!! Mr. Ohio!

dnis30
Freshman Team

Post by dnis30 »

"River handled themselves well versus Lucas"

Hello? Lucas got homered at River. Lucas was in full control of that game up 21-0 in the second quarter before the officials took over. I at was at that game. There were Illegal River formations, no calls on obvious River penalties, illegal River plays, phantom calls against Lucas. Totally biased officiating. They HANDED River 16 points. Neutral field, Lucas wins easily. Worst officiating I have ever seen.

wcduttonradio
Waterboy

Post by wcduttonradio »

dnis30 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:35 pm "River handled themselves well versus Lucas"

Hello? Lucas got homered at River. Lucas was in full control of that game up 21-0 in the second quarter before the officials took over. I at was at that game. There were Illegal River formations, no calls on obvious River penalties, illegal River plays, phantom calls against Lucas. Totally biased officiating. They HANDED River 16 points. Neutral field, Lucas wins easily. Worst officiating I have ever seen.
My statement above was in reference to team stamina, as River and Lucas didn't run out of steam over the course of the game. And in reference to the officiating, I'm not gonna say it was the worst called game I've ever seen. There weren't any illegal River formations, as I've seen Coach Flannery run the play where a receiver stands 10-15 yards behind the line of scrimmage along their sideline a number times in the past... just as long as he's not one of the five lineman who has to stay on the line, he can line up anywhere behind the line of scrimmage. Now on the judgement calls by the officials for River and Lucas, I can't justify what the officials saw either way... On the 16 points, I'm guessing happened when the River receiver and the Lucas defender had their hands on each other on the 3rd and long plays that resulted in a River TD each time... the River receiver took a step to the inside at the end of the throw to cause the Lucas defender to just be in the wrong place to defend at those times. I will admit, on the second TD, I thought the Lucas defender was going to break up the pass, but the River receiver was able to hold onto the ball in the endzone.

But regardless, Lucas is a great ballclub. They've had their lumps this season due to injury, and have made it out with a very deep and experienced roster. I was very impressed with the team's composure towards the end of the game. They can go far into the playoffs with the wing-t attack I saw that day. I was impressed with the team's ability to throw the ball, but didn't get to see a lot of that in the River game. If they stay as composed as I saw at River, they can make a suitable run to the Region 27 finals.

Ovman
Waterboy

Post by Ovman »

Blame Lucas who couldn’t score from the five yard line on fans got stopped at the one on fourth and goal.. River beat them because Dietz was the best receiver on the field and Lucas couldn’t gaurd him they couldn’t block Drew Wagnild either. They had no answer for Isaly either Every trick play was legal as well but like the Lucas coaches they couldn’t catch it River outscored then 31-6 from the middle of the second quarter on and dominated them upfront. River won’t lay down to Harvest Prep they have tough kids and Harvest Prep might have the leading rusher but the best player on the field will be Isaly and Dietz and Wagnild are right behind him this is a interesting game if River can control Harvest Prep running back it will be a lot closer then what everyone thinks!

Ovman
Waterboy

Post by Ovman »

Four tries*

dnis30
Freshman Team

Post by dnis30 »

Let's see. Where do you want to start? Lucas, up 21-0, mid 2nd quarter, got called for a horse collar tackle on a River 3rd and forever. It was not a horse collar. The kid from Lucas had his shirt only and was no where near his shoulder pads. The resulting sack was instead a River first down. Bias call #1. Shortly after that, River ran consecutive plays with 5 players in the backfield. Illegal. Bias call #2 and #3. River also ran a player off the field from their huddle to OUTSIDE the numbers and threw him a pass. Illegal. Players MUST remain inside the numbers on all offensive plays. Bias call #4. Subsequently, River ended up scoring that drive when their QB jumped over the pile for a River TD on a 4th and goal. In HS football, the runner is not allowed to leave his feet. No call from the "neutral" officials. TD River. Bias call #5. On the ensuing 2 point conversion, the River QB is on one knee as the holder for the extra point with the line spread wide to the right and a WR spread wide left off the line of scrimmage (legally). The long snapper snaps the ball to the holder and he proceeds to stand up and run with the ball, eventually throwing it to the WR for the 2point conversion. This is illegal. As soon as the holder receives the ball with his knee down, unless they kick it, the play is over. HIS KNEE IS DOWN. No call from the officials. They did this twice and converted both. Bias calls #6 and #7. Later in the game, on a 50/50 ball thrown by River, their WR shoves the Lucas player to the ground and catches the ball for a TD. No call for offensive pass interference. Bias call #8. Horrible officiating. 16 points for River on bogus plays. I am not even bringing up the phantom holding call, dirty play by River, etc, etc, etc. Thoughts?

wcduttonradio
Waterboy

Post by wcduttonradio »

dnis30 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:34 am Let's see. Where do you want to start? Lucas, up 21-0, mid 2nd quarter, got called for a horse collar tackle on a River 3rd and forever. It was not a horse collar. The kid from Lucas had his shirt only and was no where near his shoulder pads. The resulting sack was instead a River first down. Bias call #1. Shortly after that, River ran consecutive plays with 5 players in the backfield. Illegal. Bias call #2 and #3. River also ran a player off the field from their huddle to OUTSIDE the numbers and threw him a pass. Illegal. Players MUST remain inside the numbers on all offensive plays. Bias call #4. Subsequently, River ended up scoring that drive when their QB jumped over the pile for a River TD on a 4th and goal. In HS football, the runner is not allowed to leave his feet. No call from the "neutral" officials. TD River. Bias call #5. On the ensuing 2 point conversion, the River QB is on one knee as the holder for the extra point with the line spread wide to the right and a WR spread wide left off the line of scrimmage (legally). The long snapper snaps the ball to the holder and he proceeds to stand up and run with the ball, eventually throwing it to the WR for the 2point conversion. This is illegal. As soon as the holder receives the ball with his knee down, unless they kick it, the play is over. HIS KNEE IS DOWN. No call from the officials. They did this twice and converted both. Bias calls #6 and #7. Later in the game, on a 50/50 ball thrown by River, their WR shoves the Lucas player to the ground and catches the ball for a TD. No call for offensive pass interference. Bias call #8. Horrible officiating. 16 points for River on bogus plays. I am not even bringing up the phantom holding call, dirty play by River, etc, etc, etc. Thoughts?
Thank you for bringing up the issues during the game. Most of these can be problems, if officials aren't watching the game for every little detail. It's human error, and I'm not gonna call it bias. (#1) The horse collar call was seen differently from one side of the field to the next, so yes, the Lucas defender may have not pulled the collar. (#2 & #3) The plays were legal, because they were confirmed legal by the officials before River had ran them. The coaching staff tries to confirm legal formations and plays before they are run, before or during the game. (Calls #4 through #7) As mentioned above, the call may have been missed by the officials (#8) The 50/50 ball was the result of the River WR making a move to the inside of the defender to the ball, where the Lucas defender tripped over the receiver into the endzone, after they had their hands on one another. On the holding calls, yes, I will agree it would've been hard to see a hold made, based on how tight Lucas' wing-t offensive formation was. I had trouble in my mind with a couple of the calls against Lucas for holding. And honestly, I didn't see dirty playing from either team. I thought both teams left it all out on the field, when it was all said and done.

dnis30
Freshman Team

Post by dnis30 »

Sad, however, it doesn't really matter at this point. What is done is done. Just hate it when one team leaves feeling cheated.
Last edited by dnis30 on Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

OV__Guy
Waterboy

Post by OV__Guy »

dnis30 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:34 am Let's see. Where do you want to start? Lucas, up 21-0, mid 2nd quarter, got called for a horse collar tackle on a River 3rd and forever. It was not a horse collar. The kid from Lucas had his shirt only and was no where near his shoulder pads. The resulting sack was instead a River first down. Bias call #1. Shortly after that, River ran consecutive plays with 5 players in the backfield. Illegal. Bias call #2 and #3. River also ran a player off the field from their huddle to OUTSIDE the numbers and threw him a pass. Illegal. Players MUST remain inside the numbers on all offensive plays. Bias call #4. Subsequently, River ended up scoring that drive when their QB jumped over the pile for a River TD on a 4th and goal. In HS football, the runner is not allowed to leave his feet. No call from the "neutral" officials. TD River. Bias call #5. On the ensuing 2 point conversion, the River QB is on one knee as the holder for the extra point with the line spread wide to the right and a WR spread wide left off the line of scrimmage (legally). The long snapper snaps the ball to the holder and he proceeds to stand up and run with the ball, eventually throwing it to the WR for the 2point conversion. This is illegal. As soon as the holder receives the ball with his knee down, unless they kick it, the play is over. HIS KNEE IS DOWN. No call from the officials. They did this twice and converted both. Bias calls #6 and #7. Later in the game, on a 50/50 ball thrown by River, their WR shoves the Lucas player to the ground and catches the ball for a TD. No call for offensive pass interference. Bias call #8. Horrible officiating. 16 points for River on bogus plays. I am not even bringing up the phantom holding call, dirty play by River, etc, etc, etc. Thoughts?
There are calls in every game all over the country that get called or don't get called. There isn't a player or coach from either side complaining about this in week 11. Also there is no such rule about leaping nor was Isaly's knee down as you could clearly see it wasn't from River's stands. There is an offical standing directly behind him watching just for that. If it was it would have been called as such. The PI calls you are questioning? The DB fell on the first occasion and is also going up against a 6'3 220lb WR. The fact that Dietz could shove him in the opposite direction while he is running another is hard for me to fathom.

dnis30
Freshman Team

Post by dnis30 »

Obviously, you need to look at a rulebook. Players CANNOT leave their feet unless propelled into the air by the defense. The River QB JUMPED over the line of scrimmage. ILLEGAL. The DB fell? The River WR CLEARLY pushed off. I was standing at the concession stand end of the field and it was clear as day. The Lucas sidelines went bananas over the no call. Horribly officiated game. One sided as all get out. I JUST CALL THEM AS I SEE THEM.

OV__Guy
Waterboy

Post by OV__Guy »

dnis30 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:26 am Obviously, you need to look at a rulebook. Players CANNOT leave their feet unless propelled into the air by the defense. The River QB JUMPED over the line of scrimmage. ILLEGAL. The DB fell? The River WR CLEARLY pushed off. I was standing at the concession stand end of the field and it was clear as day. The Lucas sidelines went bananas over the no call. Horribly officiated game. One sided as all get out. I JUST CALL THEM AS I SEE THEM.
There is no such rule. I encourage you to find it and link it. I read the handbook each year and you are uninformed. Seems like you're crying over spilled milk. Isn't this the River vs HP thread?

H-back
Freshman Team

Post by H-back »

The rule is, in the open field in a one on one situation, a offenseive player may not hurdle. Jumping a pile and jumping over someone at the goal line to get to the pylon are both legal. They only thing that is illegal is to straight up try to hurdle a player in open field

dnis30
Freshman Team

Post by dnis30 »

Spilled Milk? I only commented after the person stated River handled Lucas. Anyways, as for the rule...Hurdling is specifically prohibited in high school football. The rulebook for the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) defines it as "an attempt by a player to jump (hurdle) with one or both feet or knees foremost over an opponent who is contacting the ground with no part of his body except one or both feet." ILLEGAL TD. Period.

Ovman
Waterboy

Post by Ovman »

I don’t why I’m arguing with you when you can’t explain why Lucas was outscored 31-6 and couldn’t score on first in goal from the five after Lucas received a terrible Late hit call that went against River but we won’t talk about that right Lucas was physically worn down and River. Destroyed them in the second half.

Ovman
Waterboy

Post by Ovman »

River did handle Lucas in the second half

Ovman
Waterboy

Post by Ovman »

The knee was up on the 2pt play as well and the horse collar tackle was on first down not third down and it was a horse collar penalty you just don’t know what you’re talking about the way it seems

OV__Guy
Waterboy

Post by OV__Guy »

Lucas was gassed the entire second half. If they were the better team then they should've won right? But alas they did not. So apparently they weren't.

dnis30
Freshman Team

Post by dnis30 »

Outscored 31-6? River only scored 30 points total?

Return to “Football”