Waterboy

Re: Holding a kid back, does it help??

Post by Brocode18 »

nope dumbest thing Ive ever heard of, its cheating

UKblue4ever1968
Waterboy

Post by UKblue4ever1968 »

I have a nephew who is married to a burg elementary teacher. And they do this for both reasons education and sports, but it works on both aspects just look at the sports and the academic programs.And it is within the rules of the OHSAA so therefore its not cheating its taking advantage of what you are allowed to do they are not the only school to do this they just get hammered over it because of there success.........

TIGER#27
JV Team

Post by TIGER#27 »

UKblue4ever1968 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:48 am I have a nephew who is married to a burg elementary teacher. And they do this for both reasons education and sports, but it works on both aspects just look at the sports and the academic programs.And it is within the rules of the OHSAA so therefore its not cheating its taking advantage of what you are allowed to do they are not the only school to do this they just get hammered over it because of there success.........
amen.

Attitude, Effort and Hustle
You control that.
Da man
Riding the Bench

Post by Da man »

When i was in school the older kids were made fun of for being dumb. I cant imagine being in HS at age 19. In my school that wouldve been unheard of and frowned upon. As a dad, i dont care what they do as long as they are happy and an extra year home with me does sound amazing. Im not sure i could get over my kid turning 18 during their jr year though. Just seems strange.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

UKblue4ever1968 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:48 am I have a nephew who is married to a burg elementary teacher. And they do this for both reasons education and sports, but it works on both aspects just look at the sports and the academic programs.And it is within the rules of the OHSAA so therefore its not cheating its taking advantage of what you are allowed to do they are not the only school to do this they just get hammered over it because of there success.........
They also do it because it helps the school achieve higher overall state testing from the students. Yeah they do it and so does so many others, one of the reasons I bring it up also because it's almost becoming a norm and are you putting them at a disadvantage if you don't follow the trend??

Redball
Riding the Bench

Post by Redball »

So my question how prevalent is this? Ezekiel Elliott, Terrelle Pryor, Maurice Clarrett, JT Barrett, Joey Boss how many of these guys? How many of the Buckeye's current roster? I did just read an article recently about a QB at Old Dominion that was starting at 17. He'd be a sophomore at Burg

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

Holding a kid back doesn’t just apply to high school. In college it’s just called red shirting. I can tell you this when they turn 30 it will have made no difference. If younwonder if you should....do it and rest well.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

BigBlueNation wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:43 pm Depends on the situation. My son has a late summer birthday. When he was young we planned on preschool then pre k then kindergarten. The school talked my wife into skipping pre-k. He started kindergarten 3 weeks after he turn 5. Some of the kids in his class was a year older than him. Then one year in little league all his friends in his class had to move up to 9-10 but he had to stay in 7-8. The league would not let us move him up. So my wife and I decided to hold him back. Probably the best decision we made. He still has several class mates older than him. It has helped him tremendously.
I read a article once that stated a boy with a summer birthday should be started later in school. It also stated that it did not affect girls as much because they tend to mature faster. So that why I say it depends on the situation. I did not want my son to graduate at 17.
MY oldest son has a winter birthday, it never crossed our mine to hold him back. He decided his sophomore year he did not want to attend college. He wanted to attend vocational school. He went to work the middle of his senior year. He moved out two weeks after he graduated, don't get to see much of him anymore. Sometimes I wish I would of held him back, to have another year with him at the house. Still very proud of him.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Not an entirely fair or accurate statement. After reading and hearing about this issue for several decades on JJ Huddle and now on this site (holding kids back for athletes and/or academics) it certainly appears that Wheelersburg does this to a "much higher degree" than other schools in southern Ohio. Again, the practice has been verified by Burg posters (and yourself) over the years. Other schools have been mentioned as doing as much but the practice at least seems to be more random and sporadic in nature. Maybe a kid here or there or a specific class but not on a regular bases like at Wheelersburg.

I don't see this as bashing Wheelersburg. It's been pointed out (and righty so) that this practice is one of the reasons for their success in sports and academics. Simply put; if other schools and parents did the same they would experience greater success on the field and in the classroom.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

I've taken a look at it from several different stand points. One stand point I've argued is that with rising tuition cost in college and you have a kid who has stated I want to go to school and I want to play sports for as long as I can. Now with rising tuition cost a person could easily be looking at having a rather large debt in student loans, unless your lucky enough to just have parents who can afford this without a blink of an eye. IF and I say IF because we have no idea at the age in which we hold them back if it'll help them or not, honestly from reading on here I see no real negatives to holding them back, why not give them that chance to possibly earn some sort of scholarship whether it be a partial or a full scholarship somewhere. I mean getting our kids through high school and into college isn't the final chapter in the parenting book is it?? I mean if we can help them by possibly giving them that opportunity to garner a scholarship and making things easier for them after college isn't there where we should be looking to achieve. I for one would love to see my child graduate college and not be sitting on a pile of student loans and owing so much he has to come live back home just so he can pay everything he owes on. I guess I look at it from that standpoint a lot, and if I keep thinking man if this is something that can help him not only from a maturity standpoint, but from a standpoint that it could possibly help him financially not to be sandaled with a massive amount of student loans by simply holding him back and giving him a greater opportunity.

TVC
Varsity

Post by TVC »

Of course it does. Anytime you have a college freshmen playing high school ball it's bound to help.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

TVC wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:30 am Of course it does. Anytime you have a college freshmen playing high school ball it's bound to help.
Need to read the whole thing then post man. :roll:

TVC
Varsity

Post by TVC »

greygoose wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:30 pm
TVC wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:30 am Of course it does. Anytime you have a college freshmen playing high school ball it's bound to help.
I did. Need to respect others opinions then post man. :roll:

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

LucasDavenport wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:40 am If you want your wife to think positively about holding your son back then make sure she knows that it provides for an Extra year with your son at home.
if the momma aint happy nobodys happy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

TVC wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:01 pm
So you're saying it helps them in getting a scholarship offer then??

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

countywide35 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:18 pm
LucasDavenport wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:40 am If you want your wife to think positively about holding your son back then make sure she knows that it provides for an Extra year with your son at home.
if the momma aint happy nobodys happy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
LOL....AMEN :lol: :lol:

TVC
Varsity

Post by TVC »

greygoose wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:39 pm

I answered the question with my opinion. Like the poster ask. I don't understand why you are having trouble with understanding it. It's just my personal opinion. You don't have to agree or ask me if I read the question or ask me the same question worded differently that I already answered.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

TVC wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:28 pm
greygoose wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:39 pm

I answered the question with my opinion. Like the poster ask. I don't understand why you are having trouble with understanding it. It's just my personal opinion. You don't have to agree or ask me if I read the question or ask me the same question worded differently that I already answered.
LOL, so you read the topic line and assumed that was what the question pertained to?? Let me paraphrase it to help you out. My question have people seen over the years where it benefited kid/kids being held back and getting more exposure for scholarship offers. Was trying to see if there's a direct correlation between kids in SEO getting a scholarship that have been held back a year vs those that are legit and trying to see the examples. R. Williams Jackson few years back, B. Scott this year at East and there's more. So do you have any examples?? Not bashing or trashing your opinion as you didn't really provide to towards what I am truly asking.

TVC
Varsity

Post by TVC »

YES it helps

donaldtrump
Freshman Team

Post by donaldtrump »

Guys and Gals the Donald"s gona talk slow and plain and sum this up without all the politically correct Horse Manure!
1> Parents getting on here wanting everyone's opinion on the holdback issue are just wanting reassurance and pats on the back and excuses for holding their kid back..
2. They've already made up their minds and totally agree with everyone who tells them want they want to hear,, and disregard opinions against theirs, as not open minded, and ignorant, so why even get on here and cherry pick posters who agree with you..
3. if you took a nationwide poll on this subject I bet 80% of the population of this Country would say it's total Horse Manure to hold a kid back for an extra year of High School sports when he's academically solid...
4...The Parents doing this always state it's just not for sports, Skippy's not mature....lol.....and 90% of people you tell this story to
will pat you on the back and agree with you and walk away knowing you just fed them a piece of horse dung!!!! lol
5. It's all about the sport....Iv'e never heard of holding back an A or B student...I've heard of advancing them a grade...You hold back kids who are having trouble academically...Not kids who are good at sports.....Why do talented kids play up an age group in a sport when their in biddy league? parents don't have a problem then do they? No..They get pats on da back about how great skippy is ! But they want to hold back that same kid and make up bull crap excuses as to why their doing it when they get in HS..
6 That's fine but make the parents pay a tution..An A or B student in middle school should not be allowed to be held back
7. Believe it or not this isn't about student loans...Most of these kids if they do get a schorship doesn't cover near what the final price is... and most wont even play at next level It's about all Mom and Dad getting all those pats on da back and hearing how great skippy is at 19 playing against younger kids....

Return to “Football”