Holding a kid back, does it help??

TVC
Varsity

Re: Holding a kid back, does it help??

Post by TVC »

Of course it does. Anytime you have a college freshmen playing high school ball it's bound to help.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

TVC wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:30 am Of course it does. Anytime you have a college freshmen playing high school ball it's bound to help.
Need to read the whole thing then post man. :roll:

TVC
Varsity

Post by TVC »

greygoose wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:30 pm
TVC wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:30 am Of course it does. Anytime you have a college freshmen playing high school ball it's bound to help.
I did. Need to respect others opinions then post man. :roll:

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

LucasDavenport wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:40 am If you want your wife to think positively about holding your son back then make sure she knows that it provides for an Extra year with your son at home.
if the momma aint happy nobodys happy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

TVC wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:01 pm
So you're saying it helps them in getting a scholarship offer then??

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

countywide35 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:18 pm
LucasDavenport wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:40 am If you want your wife to think positively about holding your son back then make sure she knows that it provides for an Extra year with your son at home.
if the momma aint happy nobodys happy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
LOL....AMEN :lol: :lol:

TVC
Varsity

Post by TVC »

greygoose wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:39 pm

I answered the question with my opinion. Like the poster ask. I don't understand why you are having trouble with understanding it. It's just my personal opinion. You don't have to agree or ask me if I read the question or ask me the same question worded differently that I already answered.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

TVC wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:28 pm
greygoose wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:39 pm

I answered the question with my opinion. Like the poster ask. I don't understand why you are having trouble with understanding it. It's just my personal opinion. You don't have to agree or ask me if I read the question or ask me the same question worded differently that I already answered.
LOL, so you read the topic line and assumed that was what the question pertained to?? Let me paraphrase it to help you out. My question have people seen over the years where it benefited kid/kids being held back and getting more exposure for scholarship offers. Was trying to see if there's a direct correlation between kids in SEO getting a scholarship that have been held back a year vs those that are legit and trying to see the examples. R. Williams Jackson few years back, B. Scott this year at East and there's more. So do you have any examples?? Not bashing or trashing your opinion as you didn't really provide to towards what I am truly asking.

TVC
Varsity

Post by TVC »

YES it helps

donaldtrump
Freshman Team

Post by donaldtrump »

Guys and Gals the Donald"s gona talk slow and plain and sum this up without all the politically correct Horse Manure!
1> Parents getting on here wanting everyone's opinion on the holdback issue are just wanting reassurance and pats on the back and excuses for holding their kid back..
2. They've already made up their minds and totally agree with everyone who tells them want they want to hear,, and disregard opinions against theirs, as not open minded, and ignorant, so why even get on here and cherry pick posters who agree with you..
3. if you took a nationwide poll on this subject I bet 80% of the population of this Country would say it's total Horse Manure to hold a kid back for an extra year of High School sports when he's academically solid...
4...The Parents doing this always state it's just not for sports, Skippy's not mature....lol.....and 90% of people you tell this story to
will pat you on the back and agree with you and walk away knowing you just fed them a piece of horse dung!!!! lol
5. It's all about the sport....Iv'e never heard of holding back an A or B student...I've heard of advancing them a grade...You hold back kids who are having trouble academically...Not kids who are good at sports.....Why do talented kids play up an age group in a sport when their in biddy league? parents don't have a problem then do they? No..They get pats on da back about how great skippy is ! But they want to hold back that same kid and make up bull crap excuses as to why their doing it when they get in HS..
6 That's fine but make the parents pay a tution..An A or B student in middle school should not be allowed to be held back
7. Believe it or not this isn't about student loans...Most of these kids if they do get a schorship doesn't cover near what the final price is... and most wont even play at next level It's about all Mom and Dad getting all those pats on da back and hearing how great skippy is at 19 playing against younger kids....

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Good post

Seems like if your kids need to be held back he isn't making the grades to play sports. I was always told you need a [c] average to play at Logan. Now with that average they might need a little help getting into college but not held back.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
dragonalum
Riding the Bench

Post by dragonalum »

noreply66 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:19 am no one starts 1st grade until the age of 7
That’s not true. I have a July birthday, so I was 6 all of 1st grade.

dragonalum
Riding the Bench

Post by dragonalum »

I’ll be honest, as an educator I think it’s more important to consider the student. If there are no academic/developmental problems, then I am 100% against it. While I get why people do it, I don’t really support it.
If the student is held back because of academic, maturity/behavioral issues, then by all means, yes, in fact I think it’s beneficial to the student. As a high school teacher, I see students all the time who probably should have been held back in 8th grade because they simply aren’t mature enough to handle the responsibilities of a high school course load.

Redball
Riding the Bench

Post by Redball »

Another issue is no one likes paying taxes, right? But you have no problem with us paying for one or two more years of public education so Junior can stay home with Mommy a little longer? I'm sure no one's volunteering to pay out of pocket for those extra unnecessary years.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Maybe a rule that you still have to be 18 years old when you graduate ( Plain English: say turn 19 no sooner than June 15th ) to be allowed to participate in sports their Senior year. That would put a stop to 19 yr old playing against 14 and 15 yr old . There has to be some kind of balance from the State. Success in sports creates the situation

gamewatcher
Waterboy

Post by gamewatcher »

Honestly, I think the decision to make a child one of the older ones in his grade or one of the youngest should be made very early - the earlier the better and will have as much to do with maturity and being a class leader as anything.......the athletic part of it can be a "bonus".

Doing it in the 8th grade (unless maturity/academic issues are present) is late in the game for this type of decision. Let's also face the fact that the odds of junior actually getting an athletic college scholarship are pretty small (and I speak as a former educator that is married to a former educator)

I've seen it done late (it didn't work), but I also recognize that often the best athletes on a team are the older ones.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

My son is a big kid, right now as a 12yr old he is 5'7" 130 lbs. 6th grader. He is also a pretty decend basketball player. I was at one of his ballgames and overheard one of his team mates parents make a statement that the only reason my son was better than his is because mine has been held back. He didn't realize I was sitting behind him. I told him the funny thing is my son is 3 months younger than his. They are in the same grade. With my sons size i get ask the question how many times he been held back all the time. I always say yes he was put back in the grade he is supposed to be in. Some people do frown upon it but who cares. As parent's one of our jobs are to give our children the best opportunity to succeed. If holding them back helps them then so be it.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

BigBlueNation wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:42 pm My son is a big kid, right now as a 12yr old he is 5'7" 130 lbs. 6th grader. He is also a pretty decend basketball player. I was at one of his ballgames and overheard one of his team mates parents make a statement that the only reason my son was better than his is because mine has been held back. He didn't realize I was sitting behind him. I told him the funny thing is my son is 3 months younger than his. They are in the same grade. With my sons size i get ask the question how many times he been held back all the time. I always say yes he was put back in the grade he is supposed to be in. Some people do frown upon it but who cares. As parent's one of our jobs are to give our children the best opportunity to succeed. If holding them back helps them then so be it.
Excellent Point, kind of right now the heart of what I was asking.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Redball wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:53 pm Another issue is no one likes paying taxes, right? But you have no problem with us paying for one or two more years of public education so Junior can stay home with Mommy a little longer? I'm sure no one's volunteering to pay out of pocket for those extra unnecessary years.
LOL, you honestly don't think you pay more taxes because of the number of kids in school do you???? If that were the case you taxes would fluctuate every single year and all the money would go to the school system. None of us would live in school districts where D1 schools existed, heck just to get out of paying taxes you'd probably home school your kid if you thought that'd help. LOL...SMH. Most people who go straight to the taxes seriously don't understand anything about them. Far as paying for the extra year I've been told numerous reports where the kid has left and gone to private school then back to public school, so yeah they paid for the extra year.

This has been an excellent thread full of many good points and has helped me research the pros and cons of people holding their child back a year. Thanks to most of you for the informative information.

The Flush
Varsity

Post by The Flush »

Holding a kid back is definitely an advantage, so you should absolutely hold your kid back if your kid can't compete (academically or athletically) with kids his own age.

Return to “Football”