Holding a kid back, does it help??

greygoose
SEOPS

Holding a kid back, does it help??

Post by greygoose »

My wife and I have gone back and forth, mostly me bringing it up, about holding our son back. She told me she'd need some evidence to support my theory that holding them back is beneficial to them once they hit high school in terms of helping with possible scholarships. Was wondering what everyone's experience with this is and what you've seen. By that I mean kids that you know where either held back or simply started school later vs kids who are a year younger and the garnering of scholarships. We've all seen this kid or that kid get some type of scholarship doesn't mean the OSU or Alabama offers either just getting that free ride. Have you seen more kids getting offers that are right where they should be in school or do you see more kids that are held back having a leg up in scholarship offers??? thanks for any information.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Holding a kid back, does it help??

Post by Ironman92 »

greygoose wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:19 pm My wife and I have gone back and forth, mostly me bringing it up, about holding our son back. She told me she'd need some evidence to support my theory that holding them back is beneficial to them once they hit high school in terms of helping with possible scholarships. Was wondering what everyone's experience with this is and what you've seen. By that I mean kids that you know where either held back or simply started school later vs kids who are a year younger and the garnering of scholarships. We've all seen this kid or that kid get some type of scholarship doesn't mean the OSU or Alabama offers either just getting that free ride. Have you seen more kids getting offers that are right where they should be in school or do you see more kids that are held back having a leg up in scholarship offers??? thanks for any information.
It helps some for sure with scholarships but in some cases prolongs the same scholarship they would’ve gotten in the first place.

Scholarships are often done in the off season with AAI, showcases, workouts etc.

I’m not for it but it definitely helps some kids. Every single situation is unique.

hsfbfan
Varsity

Post by hsfbfan »

OHSAA rules are designed to keep people from doing this. An athlete in 7-8 gets 4 semesters of eligibility or until 15 then is ineligible, In 9-12 they get 8 semesters or until 20. Examples: an athlete who is in 7-8 becomes ineligible at 15 until high school regardless of #'s of semesters used. An athlete in high school becomes ineligible at 20 regardless of #'s of semesters used

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Depends on the situation. My son has a late summer birthday. When he was young we planned on preschool then pre k then kindergarten. The school talked my wife into skipping pre-k. He started kindergarten 3 weeks after he turn 5. Some of the kids in his class was a year older than him. Then one year in little league all his friends in his class had to move up to 9-10 but he had to stay in 7-8. The league would not let us move him up. So my wife and I decided to hold him back. Probably the best decision we made. He still has several class mates older than him. It has helped him tremendously.
I read a article once that stated a boy with a summer birthday should be started later in school. It also stated that it did not affect girls as much because they tend to mature faster. So that why I say it depends on the situation. I did not want my son to graduate at 17.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

hsfbfan wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:22 pm OHSAA rules are designed to keep people from doing this. An athlete in 7-8 gets 4 semesters of eligibility or until 15 then is ineligible, In 9-12 they get 8 semesters or until 20. Examples: an athlete who is in 7-8 becomes ineligible at 15 until high school regardless of #'s of semesters used. An athlete in high school becomes ineligible at 20 regardless of #'s of semesters used
Correct but that's why it's done at an early age, I also believe Blaine Scott went from West to East because they wanted to hold him back and West wouldn't let them.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:08 pm
greygoose wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:19 pm My wife and I have gone back and forth, mostly me bringing it up, about holding our son back. She told me she'd need some evidence to support my theory that holding them back is beneficial to them once they hit high school in terms of helping with possible scholarships. Was wondering what everyone's experience with this is and what you've seen. By that I mean kids that you know where either held back or simply started school later vs kids who are a year younger and the garnering of scholarships. We've all seen this kid or that kid get some type of scholarship doesn't mean the OSU or Alabama offers either just getting that free ride. Have you seen more kids getting offers that are right where they should be in school or do you see more kids that are held back having a leg up in scholarship offers??? thanks for any information.
It helps some for sure with scholarships but in some cases prolongs the same scholarship they would’ve gotten in the first place.

Scholarships are often done in the off season with AAI, showcases, workouts etc.

I’m not for it but it definitely helps some kids. Every single situation is unique.
You are correct on where you get noticed the most at, my argument to it was that attending those he'd be a year older than he otherwise would've been. We all know how boys develop later and muscle build. I wasn't for sure if people noticed a trend one way or the other. Like the boy from Jackson couple years ago who went to Stanford how old was he?? I think Holden is a year older down at Burg, B. Scott at East I heard he was held back that's why he transferred from West to East.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

greygoose wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:37 pm
hsfbfan wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:22 pm OHSAA rules are designed to keep people from doing this. An athlete in 7-8 gets 4 semesters of eligibility or until 15 then is ineligible, In 9-12 they get 8 semesters or until 20. Examples: an athlete who is in 7-8 becomes ineligible at 15 until high school regardless of #'s of semesters used. An athlete in high school becomes ineligible at 20 regardless of #'s of semesters used
Correct but that's why it's done at an early age, I also believe Blaine Scott went from West to East because they wanted to hold him back and West wouldn't let them.
That would be correct.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

BigBlueNation wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:45 pm
That would be correct.
How old was T. Geralds (spelling)??

victor creed
Varsity

Post by victor creed »

Someone correct me if I am wrong. But in the state of ohio you have to make this decision now before starting 7th grade. It's really tough to know what's in your kids best interest at that early of a time It's crazy to me that ohio will expect a parent to make that call so soon but allow kids to be elligible till they turn 20 now. My wife and I went back and forth for 2 years. Before we decided to leave him in the grade he is in. (He is freshman now and will turn 15 next April). Ultimately. I am really glad we left him with the class he is in but I would still love to see him compete in age groups like 14u or 15u in summer ball instead of grades like 7th it 8th grades.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

Guarantee it helps. Sports aside. A kid a year older when they graduate is never a disadvantage. If sports is the reason good luck to you and the kid.

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

Yes it helps. I am a high school teacher. I have had mostly freshman for the last 26 years. I can tell the older ones in class and the ones that have been held back without even knowing their birthday. Most of the younger freshman, especially boys, I can tell immediately.

I have an eight year son that was born in April. We held him back before he started. We believe it has helped him greatly in the classroom.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Naylon Yates from Vinton County is usually most talked about on this Forum. From what I read on here I believe he is a Senior and will turn 19 this Month. I'm not sure on the history but I believe he was held back. From reading posts on here I believe he is being looked at for college football. I think one poster said Iowa State and Yale and some others. I think both Edwards boys form Nelsonville-York were held back. Jay played for OU and Hunter i believe also just made the team. So there have definitely been some that benefited. And I believe you have to be held back no later than your 8th grade year. It seems a lot of parents do it around then.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

For sports? Depends. Some kids develop at certain times. I’ve seen giants in 8th grade that don’t get any bigger. I’ve seen small kids get big and would benefit from the extra year to develop.

For academics? 100% yes in my opinion. Kids are immature as it is. Keeping them in school one more year will help.

Blackjack
JV Team

Post by Blackjack »

The answer lies in Wheelersburg. They have their entire program setup on holding kids back prior to Kindergarten. Let’s hear from the Burgs best on how it works. It definitely makes a difference.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Blackjack wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:19 pm The answer lies in Wheelersburg. They have their entire program setup on holding kids back prior to Kindergarten. Let’s hear from the Burgs best on how it works. It definitely makes a difference.

Another one? So what you’re saying is that burg has some sort of magic machine where they can predict the future of players to the point that they know which kids are going to make awesome players and choose accordingly?

Blackjack
JV Team

Post by Blackjack »

Come on Wobycat.. it is part of the Wheelersburg school system. If you have had a kid in the Wheelersburg school system then you would know it’s part of their system. It works, why deny it?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

As mentioned....would never do it for a girl.

Again, every situation is unique and so many factors

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

greygoose wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:49 pm
BigBlueNation wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:45 pm

That would be correct.
How old was T. Geralds (spelling)??
Not sure on that one.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

You’re saying that burgs success has to do with holding back a few boys between the age 4 and 6? Sorry can’t go for that. What I can go for is the burg works hard and has a good program. But if you’re insinuating that a 19 year old is so more dominant than an 18 year old, I find it very hard to believe. In pee wee yes, but not in high school m.

Blackjack
JV Team

Post by Blackjack »

Not insinuating anything. It's reality that 19 year olds are a year more mature than 18 year olds. Like taking a team of Seniors playing against a team of Juniors. Most of the time the Seniors will win. It is nothing to argue about for Wheelersburg, it is within the Ohio High school rules and they take advantage of it (Congrats to them). More parents should try to give their kids every advantage they can get as long as it is within the rules.

Return to “Football”