2018 Jackson Ironmen Football Outlook

Poo Bear
SEOP

Re: 2018 Jackson Ironmen

Post by Poo Bear »

greygoose wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:53 am
Poo Bear wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:01 am
greygoose wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:50 pm So last few years Jackson has been pretty much one dimensional. Think there's every a time where they'll broaden their horizons and open up the offense?? With all the different styles and formations out there surely a team of Jackson's size can become more multi-dimensional, and incorporate more of the offenses we are seeing now. Until they do that I just don't see them as a team who can be a force in the playoffs, it works in the playoffs and will win you a league championship but at one point would people like to see little more?? Very curious what the Jackson faithful thoughts are on this.

Jackson trew the football more in 2016 than they have in a long time. They actually may have set the single season record last year for TD passes. In 2017 they had a young qb who was up and down as a passer . Jackson Ironmen football will always be smash mouth run game and hard nosed aggressive defense . It's their identity and it works for them. However I do understand when people talk about mixing more throws in the gameplan . Especially passes off the ball fakes. As far as playoff success. D3 isn't like D5 or D6. Most the teams in Jacksons region are monsters and Jackson will be underdogs most f the time in postseason.
You are exactly right, Jackson is I a region and division that will always find themselves up against the wall. That's why I always wonder why don't they open it up?? Being in a larger division and once you start going forward in the playoffs to think you can just line up and go toe to toe with larger schools that have a bigger draw and larger teams just doesn't work. I think it's been proven for Jackson it hasn't worked and giving teams multi-formations to game plan for and other things to worry about other then just stacking the box. With that game plan you have to play the perfect game, zero turnovers, no negative plays, I mean look a this season alone when Jackson has gotten down by 2 scores the game was over. The opposing team wants you to take 12-15 play drives and kill the clock, at some point you have to develop some type of quick strike. Jackson faces a 4th and 4-7 yard range it's an issue.
In Jacksons 3 losses in 2017 they were in every game at halftime

Burg 21
Jackson 14

Chilly 14
Jackson 14

Independence 6
Jackson 0

I'm not sure what happens in the second half.
Adjustments , lack of depth ....

I'm not not disagreeing with some of what you say .

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Poo Bear wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:03 am
Poo Bear wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:01 am

Jackson trew the football more in 2016 than they have in a long time. They actually may have set the single season record last year for TD passes. In 2017 they had a young qb who was up and down as a passer . Jackson Ironmen football will always be smash mouth run game and hard nosed aggressive defense . It's their identity and it works for them. However I do understand when people talk about mixing more throws in the gameplan . Especially passes off the ball fakes. As far as playoff success. D3 isn't like D5 or D6. Most the teams in Jacksons region are monsters and Jackson will be underdogs most f the time in postseason.
You are exactly right, Jackson is I a region and division that will always find themselves up against the wall. That's why I always wonder why don't they open it up?? Being in a larger division and once you start going forward in the playoffs to think you can just line up and go toe to toe with larger schools that have a bigger draw and larger teams just doesn't work. I think it's been proven for Jackson it hasn't worked and giving teams multi-formations to game plan for and other things to worry about other then just stacking the box. With that game plan you have to play the perfect game, zero turnovers, no negative plays, I mean look a this season alone when Jackson has gotten down by 2 scores the game was over. The opposing team wants you to take 12-15 play drives and kill the clock, at some point you have to develop some type of quick strike. Jackson faces a 4th and 4-7 yard range it's an issue.

Burg 21
Jackson 14

Chilly 14
Jackson 14

Independence 6
Jackson 0

OH I understand, but each of those games had the same theme. Look at what happened at halftime, unable to run the ball in the 2nd half in each of those games. When a team realizes that Jackson can't or won't pass then everything gets made that much easier. I know Jackson has to have the athletes to do it, or I would think they would anyways from the outside looking in it's like everyone is satisfied with 8-2 record and above and going to the playoffs regardless of outcome. I mean at some point getting that regional championship should be a goal.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

greygoose wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:14 am
Poo Bear wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:03 am

Burg 21
Jackson 14

Chilly 14
Jackson 14

Independence 6
Jackson 0

OH I understand, but each of those games had the same theme. Look at what happened at halftime, unable to run the ball in the 2nd half in each of those games. When a team realizes that Jackson can't or won't pass then everything gets made that much easier. I know Jackson has to have the athletes to do it, or I would think they would anyways from the outside looking in it's like everyone is satisfied with 8-2 record and above and going to the playoffs regardless of outcome. I mean at some point getting that regional championship should be a goal.
Of course it's the goal . I mean isn't it the goal of every team ? However falling short of that goal doesn't mean a team has underachieved. This is high school fooball. Coaches play with the players they have. In 2014 2015 Jackson was loaded with talent and made good playoff runs considering they're d3. 2017 Jackson lost to 3 really good football teams. If not for devistating Injury they probably win 1 of those last 2 games. I think they played to their strength this season which was a strong line and power run game. Even in Jacksons loaded years they won't be favored to win regional championship. You may not believe this but their is many local teams with more speed / athletes than Jackson has. Jackson survives on their hard nosed mentality. I would think you'll see Jackson throw more next year with a more experienced qb and losing that big string line . Short passes may replace alotvod run plays . But it's like this . Last year when Jackson lost games it was because they threw too much , this year it's because they don't throw enough.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Well reason I ask is because never really see anyone on here talk about how they'd like to see Jackson open it up more become more versatile offensively. Hard nosed is fine but it only gets you so far as it's been shown over the years. In the 2014/2015 wasn't Jackson capable of doing each in terms of lining up toe to toe as well as spreading it out and using more of the field?? Seems like that was the year I watched them over in Athens that year, can't think of the team they played though. I like the idea of using more of the short passes, out in the flats and screens as an extension of the run, never really seen Jackson even use an option I don't believe. Last year when I watched them against Burg and Winton Woods, granted 2 very good teams, but they passed when it was time to pass. No real surprise element to it, it's hard to pass when the other team knows it's coming. Understand on the not as fast or athletic as others in the area but guess I wonder if you had players coming up that gave you those options would they stick to the same old same old.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Very good points . Well done Goose !

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

well we shall see then because the talent for sure is coming.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

countywide35 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:09 pm well we shall see then because the talent for sure is coming.

I think with Icenhower back and a year stronger and older , plus a whole season of experience under his belt you'll see Jackson open it up more. Could have some good targets with decent height for once . With graham and Haller you'll still have the power run game when you need it. Reid Evans is a burner who has to have his touches . Jackson will be fine

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Poo Bear wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:14 pm
countywide35 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:09 pm well we shall see then because the talent for sure is coming.

I think with Icenhower back and a year stronger and older , plus a whole season of experience under his belt you'll see Jackson open it up more. Could have some good targets with decent height for once . With graham and Haller you'll still have the power run game when you need it. Reid Evans is a burner who has to have his touches . Jackson will be fine
well said poo bear......to go along with the now veterans the younger group coming to join them is star powered. Concur 110%...the 2018 Ironmen will be just fine

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Season started yesterday . Weight room filled with Ironmen morning and evening . Should be another good season. 9-10 defensive starters return from a stout defense. Go ironmen !

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Posted this in another thread, but figured this was a good place to put the info also.

Per Jackson Football's Twitter account, starting in Week 2 of the 2019 season, Jackson will begin a series with Athens. First game is in Athens.

Jackson will resume playing Logan in Week 3 of the 2019 season, but that game will move to Week 1 in 2020.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Logan, Wheelersburg and Athens non-conference and Chillicothe in FAC league play. Pretty solid schedule by any definition.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Re: 2018 Jackson Ironmen Football Outlook

Post by Poo Bear »

Summer workouts start Monday !! And away we go ...

Peregrine06
Riding the Bench

Post by Peregrine06 »

Week 10 matchup at Chilicothe to decide the league? Haven't heard much about Chilly and what they are returning.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

lets hope it is decided that night in chilly with the title, this time coming back 35E ironmen owe them from the last TWO years....be fulfilling to win the league title back on their home field....

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

1. Chillicothe seems to be solid every year now and are the champs until someone beats them
2. Courthouse brings back the best player in the FAC and always has athletes
3. Jackson another solid program year in and year out, the should have another stingy Ironmen defense. Can the offense score enough points.
4. Hillsboro under coach Orourke have established a hard nosed mentality and will move the football on anyone they play
5. Miami Trace is probably still rebuilding but there another school who always has talent
6. Greenfield seems to be stuck in neutral but a new head coach may bring new life

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Poo Bear wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:38 pm 1. Chillicothe seems to be solid every year now and are the champs until someone beats them
2. Courthouse brings back the best player in the FAC and always has athletes
3. Jackson another solid program year in and year out, the should have another stingy Ironmen defense. Can the offense score enough points.
4. Hillsboro under coach Orourke have established a hard nosed mentality and will move the football on anyone they play
5. Miami Trace is probably still rebuilding but there another school who always has talent
6. Greenfield seems to be stuck in neutral but a new head coach may bring new life
McClain looked to have hired a quality coach for their needs. Might be a tough league to get it going in but I’d guess more competitive

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

true tough league for McLain to get going........but I like that as a whole for the leagues sake.......

Shane Falco
Freshman Team

Post by Shane Falco »

What’s the outlook for the 7th and 8th grade classes this year?

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

The 8th grade team was undefeated last year and will be much better this year .

The incoming 7th class should be really strong. Some real nice skilled kids.

16-0

Shane Falco
Freshman Team

Post by Shane Falco »

Poo Bear wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:45 am The 8th grade team was undefeated last year and will be much better this year .

The incoming 7th class should be really strong. Some real nice skilled kids.

16-0
Why will the 8th grade team be much better than they were last year?

Return to “Football”