2018 Jackson Ironmen Football Outlook

goblue1395
Freshman Team

Re: 2018 Jackson Ironmen Football Outlook

Post by goblue1395 »

Ironmen#2588 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:16 am
Ed Ott wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:21 pm
Ironmen#2588 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:22 am

He is a stud of a football, just not getting the opportunity. I agree, he shouldn't be on the sideline, but you cant put him on the line. He has too good of hands out of the backfield, probably the best blocking back they have. runs very aggressive north and south. I agree the line is in a rebuilding year but their are plenty of other mules to put on the line. I think they are going to use him at some TE this year but I think he should be the #1 ball carrier. I was told he worked his butt off all summer because he wanted to be the #1 guy this year. how would you feel being on varsity since your sophomore year then your senior year, your the guy and someone else comes in a gets your spot before contact starts and before the first scrimmage or game, how would you feel?
As an 18 year old I would feel screwed a bit, but as a 53 year old that sounds like life to me. Great hear he’s worked hard. I respect anyone that works hard but sometimes you don’t get the job. If it were me I’d wanna be on the field. I don’t know much of the situation or kids at all but I hope he enjoys his senior year.
I would be pissed off too. this is me, but that kid that has put blood and sweat into the program still deserves the chance to play at the same position, now he may not get 60% or 75% of the carries but he's still a factor on the team and the field and getting maybe 45% of the carries, if a player transfer in from another school.
I personally think that Coach Hall does a great job and i know his main priority is to win football games. With that being said, why would he not have his best 11 guys on the field every play? None of us are at practice every day so we don't know what goes on, I truly don't think he would "screw" or blatantly not play a kid that was better than the guy above him. Unless there's some sort of politics at that position that I don't know about. It's great that the kid worked hard this offseason but if he isn't the best guy at that position, he shouldn't start. Now, if he is in the top 11 guys on either side of the ball then absolutely he should be on the field but only at a position where he is the best player and best fit for the team. Just my honest opinion.

TheGreatHambino
Waterboy

Post by TheGreatHambino »

Coach Hall has never been afraid to play younger players over seniors or transfers over returning starters. The best player plays. He also does a good job with rotating players in and out. For those already worrying about playing time, week 1 hasn't started. Haller may end up being a number 1, Graham will get his carries. You know what a lot of these guys can do, you don't know what the new guys are capable of. That's the purpose of a scrimmage. From what I've heard they are very deep at skilled positions but the line is the question mark this year. I don't see them losing many games but I don't see them going 10-0 but who knows?

One thing I do know... they won't make it to the 3rd round of the playoffs :lol:

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Goal is to put best chess pieces on the board. Whether you are a Pawn, Knight, Rook or King/Queen what can you do to help the team beat other teams.

If someone worked hard in offseason great, but totally irrelevant to playing certain positions. If transfer or younger players are better tough, find a different spot.

I know a D5 school in Scioto County where kids could give a rat’s arse where they play they just wanna play and win. And that philosophy has worked pretty well.

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:15 pm Goal is to put best chess pieces on the board. Whether you are a Pawn, Knight, Rook or King/Queen what can you do to help the team beat other teams.

If someone worked hard in offseason great, but totally irrelevant to playing certain positions. If transfer or younger players are better tough, find a different spot.

I know a D5 school in Scioto County where kids could give a rat’s arse where they play they just wanna play and win. And that philosophy has worked pretty well.
Supportive parents I bet. Probably good communication from coaches to athletes. But I’m betting those kids have very supportive parents.

Solomon
Freshman Team

Post by Solomon »

Ironmen#2588 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:22 am
Poo Bear wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:39 pm Haller is a football player and can’t be on the sideline . If he’s not going to get any carries put him at guard. The line is in rebuild mode ,
To have a thumper like haller watching is asinine.
He is a stud of a football, just not getting the opportunity. I agree, he shouldn't be on the sideline, but you cant put him on the line. He has too good of hands out of the backfield, probably the best blocking back they have. runs very aggressive north and south. I agree the line is in a rebuilding year but their are plenty of other mules to put on the line. I think they are going to use him at some TE this year but I think he should be the #1 ball carrier. I was told he worked his butt off all summer because he wanted to be the #1 guy this year. how would you feel being on varsity since your sophomore year then your senior year, your the guy and someone else comes in a gets your spot before contact starts and before the first scrimmage or game, how would you feel?
It seems I heard this before. Oh yeah just two months ago.

Solomon wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:46 am Yes, welcome to the tradition. Just wait until he plays in front of some Jackson parents kid. I have been here forever, and some of these people have spent money, time, gas, eating out, just so their kid could be an Ironman and now one just moves in, for one year? This ain't going to go over well.
You can say you're sorry any time.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Jackson up 28-6 at half on New Lexington

5 headed offensive monster, balanced attack...Ice, Graham, Yates, Haller, Spires...all getting it done

Reid Evans with a pick 6

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

35-6 on 40 yd TD pass by Spires

mvlnewlex
All Conference

Post by mvlnewlex »

glad we dont have to play you guys in the regular season. thats all I can say about that

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Ironmen#2588 wrote: Sun Jan 18, 1970 1:06 pm next week is a bigger test since they go up to new Lexington, bigger and stronger team than Portsmouth West was, that will give the coaches a good real look as to how the team is and get a better observation.
Still think this way?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Westfan wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:49 pm
Ironmen#2588 wrote: Sun Jan 18, 1970 1:06 pm next week is a bigger test since they go up to new Lexington, bigger and stronger team than Portsmouth West was, that will give the coaches a good real look as to how the team is and get a better observation.
Still think this way?
He was wrong, no one else thought that. Good luck to West and run off a couple playoff wins while you are at it

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

mvlnewlex wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:38 pm glad we dont have to play you guys in the regular season. thats all I can say about that
New Lex has some real good looking kids. The coach and crowd was very supportive of their team. Stadium was really cool, Alota of Jackson nation complimented on it. Thanks for the hospitality for our boys . New Lex = class act. Good luck in 2018 !

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Jackson looked better . The defense , minus 1
Blown coverage , was solid. 7-8 Ironmen had touches on offense . The line gelled better . They just need to keep working. The weakest team in coach halls tenure . No expectations on wins , any and all wins are a bonus .

Solomon
Freshman Team

Post by Solomon »

I heard Jackson looked real good. I guess them VC kids can play and I here there is alot of them. Yates Spires Ruckel Prater they all are great players. Maybe this is the year to make a long playoff run and get out of the regional. I certainly hope so.

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

Solomon wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:36 pm I heard Jackson looked real good. I guess them VC kids can play and I here there is alot of them. Yates Spires Ruckel Prater they all are great players. Maybe this is the year to make a long playoff run and get out of the regional. I certainly hope so.
I hear for all home games at the magnificent Jackson Taj Mahal stadium this year there will be a Home Seating Section, Away Seating Section and a Vinton County Seating Section. They are raising the entry fee from $2 to $3 to accomplish this change.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Don’t forget the kids from wellston , Boyd KY , point pleasant , oak hill, river valley, who wanted to be part of Jackson nation. They need seats too Don.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Solomon wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:36 pm I heard Jackson looked real good. I guess them VC kids can play and I here there is alot of them. Yates Spires Ruckel Prater they all are great players. Maybe this is the year to make a long playoff run and get out of the regional. I certainly hope so.
You forgot the freshman Spires kid. He’s a good one. Ruckel I believe has been playing for Jackson and living in Jackson since 3rd grade. I mean was Andy Grillo a Jackson kid because his Dad is from Jackson?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Dandy Don wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:39 pm
I hear for all home games at the magnificent Jackson Taj Mahal stadium this year there will be a Home Seating Section, Away Seating Section and a Vinton County Seating Section. They are raising the entry fee from $2 to $3 to accomplish this change.
Any recommendations on where I can park Sat at Wellston?

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:16 pm
Dandy Don wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:39 pm
Any recommendations on where I can park Sat at Wellston?
the goal line sports pub! stop in for a delicious pizza, veal, appetizers and wash it down with an ice cold Ski pop

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion

Return to “Football”