2017 Playoffs Danville 28 River 27

kicker56
Riding the Bench

Re: River v Danville

Post by kicker56 »

Looking forward to a great game on Friday night. This will be Danville’s 40th playoff game in school history. They come in with a record of 22-17, and this SR class is 6-3. Danville is 3-4 in the regional finals (2 losses to Shadyside, and 2 losses to NC).

OICU812
Varsity

Post by OICU812 »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:21 am
OICU812 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:58 pm
OvGuy wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:26 am Most outside the valley think Danville will roll but that's why you play the game still. River doesn't miss a beat here again

River 44
Danville 35
I suppose anything can happen, but I would be shocked if River put up 44 on Danville. I believe the most points Danville gave up all season was 26 to Div 4 playoff team Highland. And that was reallly a 2 score game until late when Danville went into desperation mode and gave up the ball with a short field. They also gave up 34 to Div 6 playoff team Northmor, but scored 41 of their own in an unusual shootout game. Thru 12 games Danville defense gives up about 12 points per game. Offensively Danville averages just over 33 per game.

River defense allowed an average of 28 points a game, while their offense scored 33 average, same as Danville. Through the regular season River's signature win was a comeback thriller against Div 7 playoff team Lucas. Certainly their most impressive win was outlasting Harvest Prep in week 11 shootout...which is the recipe for beating HP it seems. The Piliots are trending in a good direction for sure.

These two have played once before in 2012 with Danville winning 30-6 in a week 11 home playoff matchup. What does all this mean? I dunno.... It's worth about as much as a the subscription fee for this forum...lol. Just my spin on what has happened. Sounds like it should be a good game though.
So the most points they’ve given up is 34. Not 26.

No dog in the fight. But just like the facts to be clear.
That is correct...26 in their only loss, and 34 in a win. I was trying to shed light on the games where they gave up more than 1 or 2 TDs, essentially. River defense has given up 44, 25, 48, 39, 34, 27, & 34 in notable games, for what that's worth...

The combined W/L rocord for both team's oppenents is 75/64, and I would say the caliber of competition each team has played is probably equal. Based on stats I think Danville will get their average or more points offensively. So I think it comes down to River offense versus Danville Defense that will be the difference maker. I think defense determines the outcome here.

OICU812
Varsity

Post by OICU812 »

OvGuy wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:55 am River's offense is firing on all cylinders right now I don't see anyone slowing them down at this rate. They've scored 85 points in the last two first halfs. To think that really anyone can slow them down at this point I can't see it. I was at the game in 2012 and it was actually much closer than that score appears River turned the ball over twice late in the game in their own territory to make it appear that way but 5 years ago means nothing. River will have the best player on the field in Isaly so it's hard to be against him.
Not to disrespect to the 2012 River team, but that week 11 game was Danville's second worst performances all year (wk 2 versus ZR was the worst). They were looking ahead to a probable and eventual week 12 revenge rematch with ZR, and week 13 Regional matchup with NC. That Danville/NC game for the regioanl title has to be one of the greatest post-season shootouts ever. Lost 48 to 46 on a controversial 2 pt conversion with ref calling incomplete. I'm still sour about that....always will be. The wierd thing is they both had really good defenses all season....just not against each other....lol NC went on to the state final and lost by 7 to MSML, but probably should have won that game... I would have loved to see Danville play MSML that year.

http://www.joeeitel.com/hsfoot/teams.js ... &year=2012
http://www.joeeitel.com/hsfoot/teams.js ... teamID=454

After the 2012 River / Danville game I had to travel down South and left after the game. I stopped at McDs in Newcomerstown and the River team was there too. Pretty funny as some players went thru the drive thru on foot. I took a minute to greet them and congratualate them on a good game and season. They were really upbeat and pleased with the outcome... Good kids and good sportmanship, even in defeat.

powtowner
Waterboy

Post by powtowner »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:34 pm Go back and watch the tape.
I noticed it also.... it helped a team beat River during the season.... Trust me it did...

Purplesage
Freshman Team

Post by Purplesage »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:05 pm If the River QB tips off the direction of the play like he did against prep, I am willing to bet the Danville staff picks it up after a few series.

No disrespect meant, because the kid is talented.

I am betting he did not do this in the 2nd round,or the coaching staff on the other side was not able to pick it up.
This is BS !!! He ran misdirect and some end around so the defense will have to be honest!!!

Purplesage
Freshman Team

Post by Purplesage »

Oh lord they're trying to compare teams from 5 years ago!?!?!?! SMH!!!

OvGuy
Freshman Team

Post by OvGuy »

To clear a few things up, to think that anyone is tipping off the plays is ridiculous. River runs so much motion and misdirection that no one can tell where the ball is going other than sometimes when they line up in their heavy set.

The thought that a game played 5 years ago on a non neutral field is going to have any effect or outcome on this game is just dumb.

The point totals that River has given up are very misleading especially since they were very young at the beginning of the year and 2 freshman have become 2 of the best players on that defense. To think that they were going to be that good early on is idiotic. River is rolling. Take out the two blocked/ muffed punts against Prep that left them with short fields and the starting defense has given up 20 points in 2 playoff games.

Anyone thinking that Isaly is going to be stopped is laughable. He is playing the best ball of his career right now I believe. Really accurate on his throws and against East he put on a show with his athleticism. Watch the highlights on wtov9.com ....that poor safety...

icanpickem
All Conference

Post by icanpickem »

OvGuy wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:54 am The point totals that River has given up are very misleading especially since they were very young at the beginning of the year and 2 freshman have become 2 of the best players on that defense. To think that they were going to be that good early on is idiotic. River is rolling. Take out the two blocked/ muffed punts against Prep that left them with short fields and the starting defense has given up 20 points in 2 playoff games.
Everybody can play the "take out" game. For example, Danville has given up 5 td's in the last 3 games. "Take Out" the 3 turnovers that resulted in their opponents starting scoring drives inside the danville 20. "Take out" the rosecrans td against the jv's with a 1 minute left and Danville's starting D has given up 1 td in 3 games. :roll:

OvGuy
Freshman Team

Post by OvGuy »

icanpickem wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:06 am
OvGuy wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:54 am The point totals that River has given up are very misleading especially since they were very young at the beginning of the year and 2 freshman have become 2 of the best players on that defense. To think that they were going to be that good early on is idiotic. River is rolling. Take out the two blocked/ muffed punts against Prep that left them with short fields and the starting defense has given up 20 points in 2 playoff games.
Everybody can play the "take out" game. For example, Danville has given up 5 td's in the last 3 games. "Take Out" the 3 turnovers that resulted in their opponents starting scoring drives inside the danville 20. "Take out" the rosecrans td against the jv's with a 1 minute left and Danville's starting D has given up 1 td in 3 games. :roll:
True but the notion that there is no respect for River's defense is funny to me because they are not the same as earlier in the year. Danville will put up points for sure they have a very talented offense but to think they're going to roll and do anything and everything they want is funny to me.

OvGuy
Freshman Team

Post by OvGuy »

icanpickem wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:06 am
True but the notion that there is no respect for River's defense is funny to me because they are not the same as earlier in the year. Danville will put up points for sure they have a very talented offense but to think they're going to roll and do anything and everything they want is funny to me.
Last edited by OvGuy on Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Purplesage
Freshman Team

Post by Purplesage »

Is there an echo in here???

OvGuy
Freshman Team

Post by OvGuy »

http://www.yourohiovalley.com/clip/1390 ... isaly-show

Local interview of Lukas Isaly. Great player, even greater kid.

farmer8
Riding the Bench

Post by farmer8 »

very surprised danville survived trimble, trimble should have gone to state

WHOS YOUR FARMER?????
FHLancer
Waterboy

Post by FHLancer »

Shake”N”Bake

Post by Shake”N”Bake »

farmer8 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:23 am very surprised danville survived trimble, trimble should have gone to state
Were about 2 years from that. Could surprise everyone next yr

OvGuy
Freshman Team

Post by OvGuy »

Article posted in the times here today.

ZANESVILLE — Legendary Green Bay Packers head coach Vince Lombardi once said — “Everyone has a will to win, but very few have the will to prepare to win.”

As the Ohio high school football playoffs reach the regional final round Friday night, eight teams in each of the state’s seven divisions still stand.

River is one of the survivors in Division VII, and the Pilots’ willingness to be ready for any situation, its head coach believes, is the impetus for that.

“I overestimate everyone that we play,” Mike Flannery said earlier this week as he continued strategizing for the Region 27 final against top seed Danville.

“I do that purposely. The more I overestimate, the more we prepare. I’d rather overestimate, but at the same time, I feel that we are always prepared and have a change of plan and have another answer for something they’re presenting us with.

“We try to find what works and do it. It might take a quarter to figure it out. We hope, as a staff, to figure it out and have a lot of tools in the tool box to grab if we need to change some things. That’s what we basically did (in Athens) last Friday night.”

River’s penchant for making key adjustments when called for has served it well through the first two tests of its 2017 playoff journey. Flannery hopes the trend continues when his Pilots (8-4) battle the Blue Devils (11-1) at 7:30 on the turf of the Maysville High School Athletic Complex.

“All three teams are, and have been, very well-coached and they’ve presented different philosophies as far as offense goes,” he said. “So, you’re getting those different things thrown at you when you only have four days to prepare. It challenges you as a coach and it challenges you as a player.”

Danville presents its own set of unique tests, Flannery stated. Chief among them, quarterback Skyler Durbin.

“We’re facing, no doubt, the most-talented quarterback we’ve played,” Flannery said. “He’s 6-5. He’s 200 pounds. They spread you out and they’d rather run it first and pass second. But, (Durbin) has a cannon for an arm.

“We have to find a way to make him uncomfortable and, hopefully, we’ve done that in our preparation this week.

“It’s tough to get to him. He has a nice line in front of him and he gets the ball out so fast. We have to play exceptional defense this week. It’s a whole different animal than we’ve faced before. It really is.”

Durbin has completed 199 of 313 passes for 2,823 yards and 25 touchdowns this season. His most impressive stat, according to his head coach, Ed Honabarger, are his interceptions, or lack thereof.

“The biggest thing with him is his accuracy,” said Honabarger, in his 14th season guiding the Blue Devils. “He’s only thrown four picks all year.”

Durbin also shoulders the bulk of the rushing load, as he’s of the of the rushing load as he’s racked up 995 yards on the ground and nine touchdowns on 169 carries. Chris Greenwalt, a 6-0, 213-pound junior, leads the team with 15 TDs and has 101 carries for 596 yards.

Danville has three players with 40 or more receptions — junior Corbin Hazen (6-3, 190) and seniors Tyler Mickley (5-10, 152) and Brice Berger (6-0, 193). Hazen has 68 catches for 933 yards and five TDs, Mickley has 63 receptions for 689 yards and seven scores, while Berger has 42 grabs for 803 yards and nine touchdowns.

“We try to be 50-50 on our play calling,” Honabarger said, “but whatever you need to do, you do.”

Marshall Stull, the Central District’s Division VII Player of the Year, guides Danville’s defense. The 5-10, 225-pound senior has made 23 tackles for loss. He’s third on the team with 96 stops.

Leading the Blue Devils on tackles is Berger, with 121, followed by junior Christopher Greenwalt (6-0, 213) with 102.

“We’ve evolved fairly well defensively,” Honabarger said. “I think we’ve bent, but not broken. We’ve given up some yardage here and there, but not a lot of scores in several of our games. I think our pass defense will need to be very good this week.

Danville has allowed nine yards passing in its two playoff victories. In Week 10, it allowed just 35 to a team that came in averaging 180 per outing.

“They’re very well-coached and well-disciplined,” Flannery said. “They have a lot of pride in their community like we have; a lot of similarities. That place will be jumping Friday night.”

Flannery and Honabarger coached together a few years ago in the Ohio North-South Game.

“It’s always a fun thing to go up against coaches that you know and have integrity,” Flannery said. “I know he’s very, very prepared. He’s an old wing-T guy that’s gone spread.”

The only “hiccup” Danville had this season was a 26-0 loss at Division IV Highland (8-3) in Week 4.

“They were just bigger, faster, stronger,” Honabarger lamented. “We’ve been in some close contests and had some games roll our way. Overall, though, we’re pretty pleased with how the season’s gone and you have to be happy with being in the regional championship game.”

The lone common opponent between the two schools was Sciotoville East. River, of course, throttled the Tartans last week, 59-8. The Blue Devils, meanwhile, pulled away42-6 in Week 2 after only leading 13-6 early in the fourth quarter.

The Blue Devils have made three final four appearances, the last coming two years ago.

“River’s schedule has prepared them for the playoffs,” Honabarger said. “They play a really tough schedule. We’ve been in that same situation where we were 6-4 and a lower seed. In 1999, we were the seventh seed and reached the final four and in 2004 we were the eighth seed and got there. So, it’s just about getting hot at the right time and getting a good draw. Right now, they’re confident.”

The Pilots, seeded sixcth in the region, have been riding high ever since dispatching Lucas at home, a victory that catapulted them into playoff contention and beyond.

“Each game, we’ve gotten better,” Flannery stressed. “To do what we did against Lucas, you can’t appreciate it unless you saw the game and understand the offense they ran. And you can’t understand the Harvest Prep game (River’s regional semifinal opponent) unless you saw it and understood how good (Daniel Bangura) was and how good their offensive team was.”

Flannery said the team has been great at adjusting each week to what the opposition has thrown at it, both offensively and defensively. At the core, though, things haven’t changed, especially on offense, where senior Lukas Isaly oversees things from his quarterback spot.

Last week, Isaly threw for 139 and rushed for another 125 in delivering a balanced effort that had the Tartans baffled. He was especially effective rolling out and hitting receivers near the sideline.

“He’s capable of that,” Flannery said. “And, he’s comfortable doing that on the run and throwing outside of the pocket. That’s his game. We try to get him on the perimeter because he’s a threat out there.”

Honabarger agreed.

“They have a very dynamic offense and Isaly is a great athlete,” he said. “He can hurt you with his legs and hurt you throwing the ball.”

Honabarger has also been impressed with he rest of the offense, including tight end Drew Dietz and running back Drew Wagnild.

“I feel confident with what we’ve done on offense,” Flannery said. “You show them your best first. If they can’t stop it, they’re gonna be in for a long night. But if they can stop your best, you have to try to find something else.”

Or, as Flannery likes to say, delve into your tool box.

“To be where we are from where we came, I guess it’s been a highlight of my career,” he said. “We just emphasize in the guys to trust in the preparation that we’re doing and trust each other and they do.

“It’s just a group that’s trusts each other. That’s all a coach can ask for.

“They’ve been there before,” he said. “Now, we’re there to go do what they’ve done.”

The Pilots have tried. In 2008, they took a 12-0 mark into Steubenville’s Harding Stadium, only to fall to Malvern, 38-14.

This team, Flannery said, is different in many ways, but is talented in a humble way and is treating this week’s game as if it was Week 1.

“They’re just a focused group of guys,” he said. “They don’t talk like ‘This is cool’ or anything like that. We’re just treating it like it’s another game.’

“I’m not putting pressure on them and no one is putting pressure on me. I think that’s why we’ve had this little run. We’re just adding to it, man, and it’s fun. We’re doing something different and each week has been a little different.”

Friday’s survivor advances to the state semifinals next Friday night against the winner of the Region 25 final between Dalton and Cuyahoga Heights.

“I can’t control the weather and I can’t control what the other team does,” Flannery said. “But, I can control how we prepare and we’ve put in a lot of hard work and these kids have sacrificed a lot.

“They’re invested and when you’re invested in something like our kids are right now, it’s gonna take a lot of something from that other team to take it away.”

Big cat
Freshman Team

Post by Big cat »

So what is the seating a maysville?
Bleachers or stadium seats

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

If you would have looked at page one of this thread, you would have seen the photos of the stadium that would have answered your question. It is a combination of both. Beautiful facility.

Doing someone else's Dirty Work....
Mister Bee
Varsity

Post by Mister Bee »

Going with Danville

Purplesage
Freshman Team

Post by Purplesage »

And what a game it was !!! Danville got the late score went for two and made it but before that River had two really good chances down in Danville territory to go up by two scores and both times on fourth down the Dancille Defense rose to the occasion!!!! It was well
Played and hard fought and Danville deserved the win!!!

Return to “Football”