Wheelersburg Football 2018 Outlook

ManitouDan2
SE

Re: I HAVE A SERIOUS QUESTION FOR WHEELERSBURG POSTERS.

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Good coaching plus HARD WORK from the student athletes . my Nephew was on one of the state champs in baseball. 3 hour workouts are not uncommon. They invest in winning 100% .

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:26 am again I ask is being a teacher in the burg district a requirement to be a coach there. I think sometimes school districts cut their own throats this way. as with ironton if what I heard is true. the coach there was asked to step down and refused, and another coach from what I heard threatened a union grievance. again this is here say, but from a very reliable source.
No being a teacher is not a requirement as far as I know. Several head coaches and assistants in different sports are not teachers

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

ManitouDan2 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:07 am Good coaching plus HARD WORK from the student athletes . my Nephew was on one of the state champs in baseball. 3 hour workouts are not uncommon. They invest in winning 100% .
3 hour practices would be considered a light day😀

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

fbnut wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:39 am
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:26 am again I ask is being a teacher in the burg district a requirement to be a coach there. I think sometimes school districts cut their own throats this way. as with ironton if what I heard is true. the coach there was asked to step down and refused, and another coach from what I heard threatened a union grievance. again this is here say, but from a very reliable source.
No being a teacher is not a requirement as far as I know. Several head coaches and assistants in different sports are not teachers
that is interesting to know. thank you.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
ALLthatJAZZ
Riding the Bench

Post by ALLthatJAZZ »

I think they PUSH their athletes in the manner with which they get them all to believe in Pride-Unity-Sacrifice-Honor.

Wburgfan
Waterboy

Post by Wburgfan »

To answer a couple things.
First, Woodward came to Wheelersburg as a teacher in 2003 and joined the football program as an assistant under Tony Lewis. There was really no luck involved. A person looking for a teaching job where he can be successful. I'm sure he looked at Wheelersburg's football program and saw the history and that helped make his decision to apply there. Success will also bring people towards your program.

Second, you don't have to be a teacher to be a coach but teacher do have "dibs" on coaching position before they look outside.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth's 10 year football record: 35-65, last playoff appearance was 10 years ago, 2007.

Ironton and Wheelersburg are the greatest athletic programs in the history of the SE district. Multiple state championships in various sports:

Ironton: state titles in football (1979, 1989) golf (1995, 1996, 1997), baseball (1972), multiple track state champions, several Final 4 appearances in girls basketball, 3 Final 4 appearances in boys basketball (1994, 2005, 2013)

Wheelersburg: state titles in football (1989), baseball (1996, 2014, 2015), multiple track state champions, state title in girls softball (2016) 6 Final 4 appearances in boys basketball (1982, 1984, 1989, 1995, 2006, 2007).......I hope I got the baseball years right

No other schools in the SE district can match those records or even come close to them for that matter.......with one exception........Portsmouth HS boys basketball, I will claim, is the single greatest sport in the history of the SE district.......4 state titles, 4 state runnerups, 15 state appearances (3rd most all time), 16-11 record in state tournament play (3rd most wins), 2nd most decades making the state tournament, 8th winningest program in Ohio history (1,434--760), only 1 losing decade in history (2000-2009, 100-121).

Portsmouth's overall athletic program doesn't come close to Ironton and Wheelersburg's. The Trojans do have a current state champion in track, Lynsey Shipley, and a tennis state champion in 1951 (Dick Klitch).

Sustained success can be attributed to a number of factors, and can be viewed as a somewhat complex mix of community involvement, tradition, expectations, family support, financial resources, academic achievement, and coaching. Take a couple of those factors away, and chances are it will negatively affect an athletic program. Wheelersburg has all of the aforementioned factors. I mention academic achievement because I really believe it affects athletic performance in many athletes, because it enhances self-discipline and focus on tangible goals.
Last edited by trojandave on Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iGoForBandMoms
Waterboy

Post by iGoForBandMoms »

In my opinion it is Work Ethic. Football sets the excitement, pride, and the tone for all of the other sports.
Coach Woodward's work ethic leads the way. He is the hardest working & most dedicated coach in BURG football history. No question. His assistants...every one of them...are MASTERS of their specific craft.

Coach Estep ... His work Ethic... I dont even need to say it.
Coach Ruby... Just go watch ten minutes of a softball practice.

There is no magic, no secret, no money, no influence, no nothing except for Hard Work. It is not expected it is demanded. There is no other way.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

iGoForBandMoms is absolutely correct about hard work. In the end, hard work can make a great athlete. It certainly helps, though, to have great family support. I remember just last year, watching a Portsmouth Junior High basketball game at Rock Hill, only 3 parents showed up, and I'm not a parent. Kids want to see their family in the stands. Wheelersburg has that great family support. That encouragement from home in whatever a child chooses to participate in can make a world of difference.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

trojandave wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:42 pm Portsmouth's 10 year football record: 35-65, last playoff appearance was 10 years ago, 2007.

Ironton and Wheelersburg are the greatest athletic programs in the history of the SE district. Multiple state championships in various sports:

Ironton: state titles in football (1979, 1989) golf (1995, 1996, 1997), baseball (1972), multiple track state champions, several Final 4 appearances in girls basketball, 3 Final 4 appearances in boys basketball (1994, 2005, 2013)

Wheelersburg: state titles in football (1989), baseball (1996, 2014, 2015), multiple track state champions, state title in girls softball (2016) 6 Final 4 appearances in boys basketball (1982, 1984, 1989, 1995, 2006, 2007).......I hope I got the baseball years right

No other schools in the SE district can match those records or even come close to them for that matter.......with one exception........Portsmouth HS boys basketball, I will claim, is the single greatest sport in the history of the SE district.......4 state titles, 4 state runnerups, 15 state appearances (3rd most all time), 16-11 record in state tournament play (3rd most wins), 2nd most decades making the state tournament, 8th winningest program in Ohio history (1,434--760), only 1 losing decade in history (2000-2009, 100-121).

Portsmouth's overall athletic program doesn't come close to Ironton and Wheelersburg's. The Trojans do have a current state champion in track, Lynsey Shipley, and a tennis state champion in 1951 (Dick Klitch).

Sustained success can be attributed to a number of factors, and can be viewed as a somewhat complex mix of community involvement, tradition, expectations, family support, financial resources, academic achievement, and coaching. Take a couple of those factors away, and chances are it will negatively affect an athletic program. Wheelersburg has all of the aforementioned factors. I mention academic achievement because I really believe it affects athletic performance in many athletes, because it enhances self-discipline and focus on tangible goals.
THAT'S A WONDERFUL POST DAVE,PORTSMOUTH'S BASKETBALL PROGRAM'S SUCCESS COULD NOT BE QUESTIONED. THEY ARE AWESOME AT BASKETBALL

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Redball
Riding the Bench

Post by Redball »

As far as the coach having to be a teacher question, the way I understand it is like previous post said teachers have "dibs". Where Ironton may have an issue is getting rid of a teacher coach to employ a non teacher coach. I was always under the impression if a teacher wanted the job they would automatically get it over an non teacher.
As far as Burg not having that many 19 year olds on the baseball team when I graduated I was 17 so just because they aren't 19 doesn't necessarily mean they weren't held back a year.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I understand. thanks.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

it seems so far removed now. seeing ironton football teams that were far superior to the majority of their opponents coaching wise and physical ability. the boys were stronger, quicker, better coached, more disciplined and regimented, lived in the weight room.and they rarely ever shot themselves in the foot. and played much more difficult schedules than they currently do.the discipline was there, rarely ever was there a personal foul. it's no knock on the ovc, just a fact. gone are the desales, the wattersons, the hartleys, belfry, ky.the Zanesville's, logan,lancaster, Jackson, Athens, Marietta, warren and the like.and we went 4-6. it's not the shock that it would have been in the past it has been a very visible drop in production and mediocrity. losing almost all out of conference games for the last 4 years aside from a defeat of Russell this year. and the burg has been mopping the floor with us. I miss the ole days.

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

That to me is the most surprising thing to see about Ironton's football teams..the penalties and how out of shape they seem. A down year or a couple of years in the talent level can be expected sometimes, but the mental mistakes and being out of shape are surprising.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

To me it is two big things
1-Whatever sport a Burg team is playing they believe they are going to win the matchup ahead of them. Some call it being cocky I call it being confident. It is put into the mind of every Burg athlete that they will win every game. Is it a hug disappointment when they lose, sure but the Burg coaches don't brow beat them because of a loss, they dissect that loss and they work on what they will need to do the next time they play that opponent. Case in point. The first time Burg played Bishop Hartley in the playoffs they pretty much got owned. Burg played Hartley again the next year, made the adjustments and only lost by 7 in OT in a game they probably should have won.

2.Burg coaches treat their players with the same respect they expect out of the players towards them. You very rarely see a Burg coach yelling or screaming at a kid after he made a mistake. You see the coaches talking to that player, talking to him what he did wrong and what he needs to do to fix it. Now practices might be a different story but you never, ever publicly humiliate a kid in front of the fans and his fellow students. Quickest way to lose a player IMO. They are just kid you know and they are playing whatever sport they are playing because they love the game.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

522Pirate wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:40 am That to me is the most surprising thing to see about Ironton's football teams..the penalties and how out of shape they seem. A down year or a couple of years in the talent level can be expected sometimes, but the mental mistakes and being out of shape are surprising.
I agree.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:25 am To me it is two big things
1-Whatever sport a Burg team is playing they believe they are going to win the matchup ahead of them. Some call it being cocky I call it being confident. It is put into the mind of every Burg athlete that they will win every game. Is it a hug disappointment when they lose, sure but the Burg coaches don't brow beat them because of a loss, they dissect that loss and they work on what they will need to do the next time they play that opponent. Case in point. The first time Burg played Bishop Hartley in the playoffs they pretty much got owned. Burg played Hartley again the next year, made the adjustments and only lost by 7 in OT in a game they probably should have won.

2.Burg coaches treat their players with the same respect they expect out of the players towards them. You very rarely see a Burg coach yelling or screaming at a kid after he made a mistake. You see the coaches talking to that player, talking to him what he did wrong and what he needs to do to fix it. Now practices might be a different story but you never, ever publicly humiliate a kid in front of the fans and his fellow students. Quickest way to lose a player IMO. They are just kid you know and they are playing whatever sport they are playing because they love the game.
that sounds great.

Football fan
Riding the Bench

Post by Football fan »

Myself is a graduate of burg my dad and my kids are also graduates your taught to take pride and to be a winner reach for success as far as football success at the per wee level no parents are coached parents are the problem at the other schools and that’s true at all levels parents stay out of the way look at salyers that’s why he’s in Ironton cause him and his parents couldn’t keep there mouth shut the boys bust there butt they like being champions we have the best coaches PERIOD they been there done that at high school college level etc the coaches and boys have the best stadium, facilities, equipment, and atmosphere in southern Ohio
I don’t know if other schools are aware but coach Woodward is a very passionate caring man a few years ago he started what’s called leadership breakfast at a local church the ladies get up at 4am to cook breakfast for over 180 kids on Friday mornings the kids start arriving at 630 to eat the speakers talk about being leaders at home in school and on the field from numerous speakers the kids lead in prayer and no if they put faith in the man upstairs SUCCESS will follow
Wheelersburg as well south Webster are tops in the state in education while all other school can’t even make the grade top education equals SUCCESS
I have a young grandchild who is 2 1/2 and they know the fight song word for word cause that’s what we do in the burg it’s born in you it’s tradition pride education community coaches and the good lord above

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:53 pm honest question here. I ask because I don't know.

a serious question to wheelersburg posters. and no need to disrespect ironton in answering. if you could sum it up in a paragraph or 2 in a respectful way, and I expect nothing less. can you write a comment or short essay here on why you feel wheelersburg is excelling in sports in their district while others are floundering under the same social and economical situations. I mean with burg it seems to be every sport. and I think the general public would be interested in the opinions of those who are obviously getting it done. and when the rubber meets the road they are winning. I have no alterior motives for asking. I mean we used to be the ones doing it at ironton, now we ain't. I'm genuinely obsessed with finding this out and what can others do to emulate this.
No dog in this fight here,but it's nothing new.Wheelersburg has always excelled in sports and other things and always will.I knew this from a very young age while Watching Mr. Hughes Wheelersburg basketball teams hammering our high school team.I knew they were a cut above then.

"I have a deep affection for the University of Pittsburgh.It is my University.I am proud to be a Pitt man.”-Jock Sutherland
ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

I am not a Burg person but I have worked closely with a couple Burg programs and know many people who are involved with them.

My take is it's kinda a prefect Storm for Burg.
They have an expectation of winning there. If your kid goes to Burg for say.... Baseball. There is an expectation to be good an they are going to show you ways to get good (-Fall Ball, travel ball, camps) You don't have that at a lot of other schools around here.

Another part is the decline of their neighboring programs. If you went to East or Green and felt like their Athletics weren't good enough and now you see Burg excelling, you're gong to heavily consider sending your child there. Same thing with academics. You want a good academics school for your kid you send them there. If it just so happens your kid can crush softballs too.. Burg wins again lol.

Return to “Football”