Wheelersburg Football 2018 Outlook

Burgball#1
Freshman Team

Re: I HAVE A SERIOUS QUESTION FOR WHEELERSBURG POSTERS.

Post by Burgball#1 »

I have lived here most of my life and my kids have both graduated and played sports here. I love your responses as most are spot on. Having coached the kids from T-ball thru high school the mind set that the kids, community and parents have is one that they expect to win. The kids and community and as parents we just have that mind set to win. Our kids no matter if they are yours or others put a lot of time in their offf seasons perfecting their skill but also while having fun doing it.

And yes most of the time when the coaches are not allowed to coach the kids they lead the others to get better and really encourage the others.

If you have noticed at any sporting event I would guess to say that most of the fans in the football and other sports stands are parents of graduates and grandparents that continue to follow "their pirates" as the community takes pride in following our sports teams.

I will share this with you as an example. When one of my kids went to college during their first year to play sports, their team wasn't doing to well the first few games. The mindset from some of the players was that they were okay with losing and my player struggled with this as he was not okay with losing because of the program that he came from and had to work hard to help change that mindset of his fellow college players.

So thanks for asking that question and thanks for the many people who responded and my wish for all would be for all of our communities to buy into changing the mind sets of all to support their players and expect to win!!! Go Burg!!!

Wburgfan
Waterboy

Post by Wburgfan »

ColdHardTruth wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:43 am I am not a Burg person but I have worked closely with a couple Burg programs and know many people who are involved with them.

My take is it's kinda a prefect Storm for Burg.
They have an expectation of winning there. If your kid goes to Burg for say.... Baseball. There is an expectation to be good an they are going to show you ways to get good (-Fall Ball, travel ball, camps) You don't have that at a lot of other schools around here.

Another part is the decline of their neighboring programs. If you went to East or Green and felt like their Athletics weren't good enough and now you see Burg excelling, you're gong to heavily consider sending your child there. Same thing with academics. You want a good academics school for your kid you send them there. If it just so happens your kid can crush softballs too.. Burg wins again lol.
I wouldn’t completely agree with your second paragraph. There has been many kids who have transferred to Wheelersburg for those exact reasons. Of those kids there has been many who have transferred back to their original school or stopped playing the sport in general. This is because the kids have to buy into what Wheelersburg teaches them. This is hard for kids from other school districts because it’s somethig completely different than what they have grown up with.

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

Another thing that I think helps, at least with the culture and team atmosphere if nothing else, is the way the varsity athletes interact with the younger athletes. I have an eighth grader and have seen him talking with and texting the varsity players about various things, and know of several other instances where other kids his age do the same. Maybe this happens at other schools as well, but I know when I was in jr high (at a different school) this didn't happen.

Watson40
Waterboy

Post by Watson40 »

Ok guys. Sounding a little pretentious here. The reasons that burg people give for their own success has ranged from harder work, better fan base, better marriages, more money (better salaries) to better coaches.

Coaching may be a part of it. I am not originally from southern ohio. But let me tell you the first thing I realized when relocating here and getting into great football around these parts. I noticed that burg was extremely fortunate because they had emerged as the team at the top. They became that school that the serious athletes from the surrounding areas wanted to attend. And they do. Burg gets all of the best athletes from green, new Boston, ironton at times and portsmouth. It isn't a bad thing. I would take that haha. But please don't be blind to this fact and imply it is because your kids work harder or come from better family life. Every kid on the football field runs until they puke every conditioning field. Every family loves their children and wants to see them do better then they have done. I seriously doubt burg is better because you guys know the secrets to life.

Not saying it is impossible. But if it is true I may have to move down there myself haha. Good luck on following seasons.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Seabee_0586 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:56 pm
Otto wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:34 pm I think the Burg had a little bit of luck involved also in finding Woodward. The guy is one heck of a coach. Sure, he fell into a good opportunity- school with tradition, support from the community, always 70+ kids coming out for football every year....but he also knows how to run a program and get kids to buy in. Good coach + good program = high level of success.
Has any d-1 schools Tried to lure in the coach from burg yet?
I don't know, but Cincinnati Moeller's looking for a new Head Coach

mattash
Site Admin

Re: Wheelersburg Football 2018 Outlook

Post by mattash »

Burg is always loaded

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott

Return to “Football”