Wheelersburg Football 2018 Outlook

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Wheelersburg Football 2018 Outlook

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

honest question here. I ask because I don't know.

a serious question to wheelersburg posters. and no need to disrespect ironton in answering. if you could sum it up in a paragraph or 2 in a respectful way, and I expect nothing less. can you write a comment or short essay here on why you feel wheelersburg is excelling in sports in their district while others are floundering under the same social and economical situations. I mean with burg it seems to be every sport. and I think the general public would be interested in the opinions of those who are obviously getting it done. and when the rubber meets the road they are winning. I have no alterior motives for asking. I mean we used to be the ones doing it at ironton, now we ain't. I'm genuinely obsessed with finding this out and what can others do to emulate this.
Last edited by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT on Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: I HAVE A SERIOUS QUESTION FOR WHEELERSBURG POSTERS.

AND THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR COMMENTS.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I mean this same question can be asked of many programs. but we are all in the same area here, and I'm genuinely curious as to how wheelersburg has avoided the pitfalls of mediocracy with no big city to draw athletes from. is it open enrollment, is it coaching what is it that makes them march to a different beat. obviously it has to be a culmination of obvious things.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I have heard that district wide they lean towards holding kids/boys in particular back an extra year before starting school, but i have no 1st hand knowledge of that, nor do I care to. but if so do pirate fans feel this is a key element in success.

QB SNEAK
Freshman Team

Post by QB SNEAK »

I would give a lot of credit to coaching. I think Woodward has done a great job with building the program back. In Baseball it started with Brannon and was passed on to Estep. Estep has also surrounded himself with a great group of assistants. I will say that not only do these Coaches prepare a game plan but they invest in the lives of their players. I will also give credit to the Pee Wee and Little League programs. They run the Varsity plays and learn what's expected of them from the start. In LL kids are expected to know how to bunt the ball and execute fundamentals that are usually taught at an older age. That's my thoughts on it.

BigChuck
JV Team

Post by BigChuck »

It all starts at home and at a young age. Teach your kids to part of something bigger than themselves, and give what they have all the time. Teach them not to settle for less than their best, and show TRUE support for the programs in your district.

There's the BURG....then there's everyone else!
[img][/http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Xr29B08bBPw/T ... oll.jpgimg]
fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Don’t get to caught up in the holding boys back. That prefirst and pre-K class usually has around 20 kids and my kids class was about 2/3 girls. So in the end maybe 2-4 of those end up contributing at the high school level. The kids and coaches work their butts off and they get a ton of support from the community

burgbacker
Riding the Bench

Post by burgbacker »

1. They have high expectations for kids in all phases of life, not just on the field. This starts at home and in the class room before it ever materializes in competitive sports.

2. They hire really good coaches no matter where they have to go to get them. The football, baseball, basketball, and softball coaches aren't from Burg. I'm sure there are others, but those come to mind.

3. They let coaches coach. This goes for parents and administrators.

4. They invest in youth programs. The coaches of most of the sports are involved at the youth levels and it shows. Kids are taught similar schemes, terms, and expectations to build a foundation for high school sport success.

callie15
Varsity

Post by callie15 »

I know that almost all of Burgs football coaches played FB at the Burg with much success. It's easer to win if you know what It takes to be a winner.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

It can be summed up in a few words really.
1. Respect
2. Community support for all ages.
3. Atmosphere of success.
4. Coaching

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

callie15 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:58 pm I know that almost all of Burgs football coaches played FB at the Burg with much success. It's easer to win if you know what It takes to be a winner.
Coach Williams was a four year starter and state runner up at West. He was very competitive hard working and a heck of a football player. I know some of the other coaches are some of Burgs all time greats. They definitely know what it takes.
I would say with all the depht they have, there is also a lot of competition, that's has to help alot. As a outsider looking in seems to be a huge amount of community support.
I always though that having such a small school district has to factor in. Most of the kids live fairly close to the school making it easier for parents running their kids back and forth.
And last tradition in academics and all sports.

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:53 pm honest question here. I ask because I don't know.

a serious question to wheelersburg posters. and no need to disrespect ironton in answering. if you could sum it up in a paragraph or 2 in a respectful way, and I expect nothing less. can you write a comment or short essay here on why you feel wheelersburg is excelling in sports in their district while others are floundering under the same social and economical situations. I mean with burg it seems to be every sport. and I think the general public would be interested in the opinions of those who are obviously getting it done. and when the rubber meets the road they are winning. I have no alterior motives for asking. I mean we used to be the ones doing it at ironton, now we ain't. I'm genuinely obsessed with finding this out and what can others do to emulate this.
Here is a perfect way to emulate it:

Freshman class should be able to drive theirselves to all Freshman practices. Preferably turn 16 after the summer of their 8th grade year to make sure they can get to all the summer workouts.

Sophomore class should be 17 so that it matches most opponent schools Senior Class.

Hope I was of some help YTB.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Dandy Don wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:41 pm
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:53 pm honest question here. I ask because I don't know.

Here is a perfect way to emulate it:

Freshman class should be able to drive theirselves to all Freshman practices. Preferably turn 16 after the summer of their 8th grade year to make sure they can get to all the summer workouts.

Sophomore class should be 17 so that it matches most opponent schools Senior Class.

Hope I was of some help YTB.
Oh Sandy Dawn, if you only knew the facts.

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

I have an 8th grader and I believe there is only one boy that plays sports that is "older" than the 20 others. I understand that Sandy Dawn is a troll but perhaps he doesn't know that the OHSAA has rules in place for that sort of thing.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

burgbacker wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:39 pm 1. They have high expectations for kids in all phases of life, not just on the field. This starts at home and in the class room before it ever materializes in competitive sports.

2. They hire really good coaches no matter where they have to go to get them. The football, baseball, basketball, and softball coaches aren't from Burg. I'm sure there are others, but those come to mind.

3. They let coaches coach. This goes for parents and administrators.

4. They invest in youth programs. The coaches of most of the sports are involved at the youth levels and it shows. Kids are taught similar schemes, terms, and expectations to build a foundation for high school sport success.
While I am not a Burg poster, I am a friend of Burg posters, and a parent who has gone through this. And no, I did not sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night, so take that off the table :D .

Burgbacker hit the points I would hit as well. So, here are a few supplemental comments to each of his/her points.

1. Be a parent. Be a great parent. Love, support, guide, and encourage your kids, but don't you dare to try and live vicariously through them.
2. Spot on. Continuity in your coaching ranks is key. And let the coaches pick their own assistants, and keep them as long as they can. That is a KEY to year in and year out success.
3. Not a thing to add there. You really don't like your coach and his/her success because your kid isn't getting playing time, well, either accept it or move.
4. Agree. And get your youth programs coaches to work with the middle school and high school coaches. That will breed long term success.

Doing someone else's Dirty Work....
BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

It says it in the locker room..
“Here you get what you earn, when you earn it”!

victor creed
Varsity

Post by victor creed »

Hey dandy. FYI my kid is a freshman. And won't be 15 till 2018. Apparently your read ytb's post and took it to heart to not bash the tigers. But just can't post without bad mouthing someone. It's fine. Wheelersburg is an easy target because of their success. What many people that don't live in burg don't seem to understand is the main reason for their success is hard work. I graduated from ironton during the glory years of ironton football in 1983. I don't think I remember us working anywhere near as hard as these football players have this past summer as far as putting In the time. Weight room. Camp. Player led practices. Going to the field on their own on Saturdays and Sundays and running routes stairs sprints. Grassys. You name it. And the support from the community is something to be extremely proud of. Yeah. We get talked about for being arrogant but it's because we take the time to support out team. We tell people we expect to win. Because we believe we will. Not much different there than how it was when I was In school at ironton. People hated it cause we usually back it up. very seldom do you see a burg fan actually bashing another team. It's more us saying we expect to win and that makes people mad. I don't and won't apologize. The hard work is present in every sport. Basketball baseball girls soccer and volleyball. Etc. I am not in any way saying we are the only ones working and nobody else is I am saying between that and the coaching and the parents being parents and overall community support the success shows and. Success breeds success I wouldn't be anywhere else

Da_Burg
Freshman Team

Post by Da_Burg »

victor creed wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:36 pm Hey dandy. FYI my kid is a freshman. And won't be 15 till 2018. Apparently your read ytb's post and took it to heart to not bash the tigers. But just can't post without bad mouthing someone. It's fine. Wheelersburg is an easy target because of their success. What many people that don't live in burg don't seem to understand is the main reason for their success is hard work. I graduated from ironton during the glory years of ironton football in 1983. I don't think I remember us working anywhere near as hard as these football players have this past summer as far as putting In the time. Weight room. Camp. Player led practices. Going to the field on their own on Saturdays and Sundays and running routes stairs sprints. Grassys. You name it. And the support from the community is something to be extremely proud of. Yeah. We get talked about for being arrogant but it's because we take the time to support out team. We tell people we expect to win. Because we believe we will. Not much different there than how it was when I was In school at ironton. People hated it cause we usually back it up. very seldom do you see a burg fan actually bashing another team. It's more us saying we expect to win and that makes people mad. I don't and won't apologize. The hard work is present in every sport. Basketball baseball girls soccer and volleyball. Etc. I am not in any way saying we are the only ones working and nobody else is I am saying between that and the coaching and the parents being parents and overall community support the success shows and. Success breeds success I wouldn't be anywhere else
Great post! Many of these reasons you mentioned are the same as to why I chose to bring mine to Burg as well.
They are unmatched in this area. If you want the best, you need to be here!

Reach Higher
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Socioeconomics have a little to do with it.

Scioto County doesn't have a great deal of wealth but a great deal of that wealth resides in Wheelersburg.

Money helps.

I graduated from Wheelersburg so please know I'm not trolling. It's a hard truth. If the majority of your kids are getting free lunches it's more difficult to put together great sports programs.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Foundation is the key. For football it’s the main reason burg has sustained success over the years. Student support is big too.

Return to “Football”