"Hypothetical" new D1/D2 league south of Columbus

CruiserChief95
Waterboy

Re: "Hypothetical" new D1/D2 league south of Columbus

Post by CruiserChief95 »

Fair enough, fcfan. The way he phrased it, I took it as they needed to get to 8 to charter a new league. You're probably right that 8 is the goal for scheduling. Hate to see this thing fall apart, but sounds like we may find out soon.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

Realize that getting this league together is like pushing a boulder up a hill. You might think it's close but it just takes one hitch for the boulder to roll back.

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

I think the architects of this proposed league just needs a new plan when comes to the “when, where, and who.” It can be done, this new league. It just needs to be cogent and organized. The Lancaster & Newark package evidently staying in the OCC probably has set this league’s advancement back a little bit.

Chief02
Varsity

Post by Chief02 »

formerfcfan wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:03 am I think the architects of this proposed league just needs a new plan when comes to the “when, where, and who.” It can be done, this new league. It just needs to be cogent and organized. The Lancaster & Newark package evidently staying in the OCC probably has set this league’s advancement back a little bit.
I think it is an insult to those who have worked hard on this project to imply that this effort has not been organized. Maybe Locos can chime in, but I believe I recall a committee doing a lot of work to get this together. I believe Dale Amyx, former head coach of the Chieftain football team and Groveport alumnus was a part of this process.

The reality is a process like this is difficult, especially from the perspective of a singular school trying to organize it. It is hard also to make this a cogent process when there are no other schools in Logan’s situation in the geographic region. It would be different if say Lancaster and Logan were independents looking for a league. That would put them in the situation of it being mutually beneficial to team up to form a league. The results we have seen thus far are I think a best case scenario. Also, the more Columbus grows and school districts divide into multiple high schools, the more schools like Lancaster and Newark will be isolated voting wise. They may have backed out for now, but I firmly believe about 4-5 years down the road when the OCC realigns again they may not like the outcome.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Chief02 -

I think formerfcfan is trying to say it needs to "reorganize" more than implying that it hasn't been organized. Reality is that Lancaster and Newark were the geographic center of this proposed league. Without them, it throws some real flies into the ointment.

But I don't think it's a done deal. I think it depends on how antsy a few schools are.

I think six is a viable number, especially if your six are truly committed. The new center is Canal and Groveport. If one or both of those two are "out" - then I think the whole project would need to restart.

Look, I have said for over a year now that I expect Logan to be independent up to a decade. If something comes together before then I'll be ecstatic. Its just a tough situation for Logan. Good on the administration for making such strides already.

Chief02
Varsity

Post by Chief02 »

Thanks for the clarification Locos. Explained in that fashion, I get the point.

Zunardo
Freshman Team

Post by Zunardo »

CruiserChief95 wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:34 pm You're close GoBucks1047. I would leave New Albany out and put Hamilton Township in. HT regularly plays GM, CW and TV so it just makes sense from a rivalry, size and distance perspective. New Albany is a haul bro, even from Groveport(where I live). I can't imagine fighting through traffic down 270 and the first part of 33 to get to Logan on a weeknight. And let's be honest, New Albany has very little in common with the other named schools from a socioeconomic perspective either.
From Hamilton Township, the trip to Logan is 5, maybe 10 minutes longer going to Fairfield Union (with fewer stops), so not too bad. As CruiserChief95 said, it's the "first part of rt 33" that's tough for us.

Building the bypass at Carroll helps out quite a bit in Fairfield County, that was always a major bottleneck The hard part for is from I-270 is getting past that light on 33 near Canal Winchester.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

The light at Pickerington Rd can be a headache.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

noreply66 wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:03 pm The light at Pickerington Rd can be a headache.
The Pick-town rd light is the new Carroll light! IT SUCKS A$$!! By 6am traffic is backed up to Carroll :shock: :shock: Let hope they rectify it soon rather then later.

AT THE RESERVATION
CruiserChief95
Waterboy

Post by CruiserChief95 »

I think the Pickerington Road light is next on the list. True that it's a pain, but hardly compares to having all of the lights in place AND having to drive through Lancaster to get to Columbus and return. As for the league, this 33 or southeast corridor collection of schools is advantageous in that the distances aren't far and it's generally one direction. This is assuming Newark and Zanesville are out of course. Sure is better than riding on a bus from Logan to Point Pleasant, WV, Warren or Marietta on a school night to play a soccer game.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

I agree I hate that light! I remember many years ago reading an Eagle Gazette article how an old farmer was complaining about how hard it was to cross that road with his tractor to get to his fields, so up goes the light we now hate. Time to bring it down! There have been some bad accidents there.

Pa Trojan
JV Team

Post by Pa Trojan »

Not to mention Portsmouth to Logan, Marietta etc etc

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

I’ve heard the schools are to get together on Friday. Probably “do or die” time. At least for this phase of action.

Credit to Logan admin for busting their butts. Time to find out if they’ve been jerked around and used as leverage or not.

Either way, I’m glad Logan has and will continue to be proactive.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

I think the light at Sugar Grove is the most unnecessary red light on any highway in the state.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

The bus drivers got that one up 96. Been quite a few bad wrecks there since it went up. Another one that needs to come down is at Tarkiln and old 33 if your going into Lancaster.. They put it up before the completion of the bypass. All it does now is slow things down for minimal traffic. I am afraid it's just a matter of time before one goes up at the flea market in Rockbridge. :(

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

All them lights up 33 is a hassle. Need a small two lane over pass at SG, like the one over pass on old Mcarthur rd crossing 33. The one at Tarklin is just uncalled for now. So frustrating when you are running late for something and taking that way to Lancaster. Take the dang thing down. It's worthless.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

NYBuckeye96 wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:08 am I think the light at Sugar Grove is the most unnecessary red light on any highway in the state.

Cbolt is right. School busses couldn't get in or out of Sugar Grove if it weren't for the lights. I was actually just talking to a state legislator about it.

Now, maybe it should be flashing during non-school bus hours? I don't know. It also doesn't cause nearly the back up that Pickerington Rd does.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

A lot of the Pickerington traffic goes into Lancaster which cuts the traffic down when they get to Sugar Grove.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Only thing that backs up traffic at the Sugar Grove light is one of the numerous wrecks they have there. I have seen it backed clear up to below the Hocking County line and up to Horns Mill the other way. If you don't cut over to Old Logan Rd. you could be stuck there for over an hour. :evil:

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

I was directed to the old Logan once. Truck wreck

Return to “Football”