"Hypothetical" new D1/D2 league south of Columbus

Chief02
Varsity

Re: "Hypothetical" new D1/D2 league south of Columbus

Post by Chief02 »

noreply66 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:52 am I mostly agree. A lot depends on Teays Valley and Zanesville with the travel time. Don't think they can get both of these on board.
I agree. Honestly, I think Zanesville is an odd duck in this equation. I still have a sour taste from when they joined the SEOAL and the dominos that started falling afterwards.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

At one time during a track meet I heard one of the reason Zanesville left was because they could win a title in track while they were in the league or football.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

Chief02 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:04 pm
1987chieftains wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:48 am Teays Valley IMO would be the ones that would not be into it. When Logan didn't get voted into the MSL it was TV that voted NO. Bc they didn't want that massive drive time of 43 mins to the Ohio river to play Logan. :roll: :roll: :roll:
I guess that begs the question of why have they gone along for the ride all the way to this point? Remember, it was Logan who started this ball rolling. If they didn’t want to, then why have they entertained everything up to this point?
Up to this point its just been football and girls/boys basketball and maybe a track meet or 2. From what I was told from 2 guy that work for me and that are from the TV school district is that the west end of the school district doesn't want too. This is what I was told on the MSL board a few years ago after Logan was not voted into the MSL.
" Some people view a trip to Logan as a trip to West Virginia travel-time wise, which, if you're coming from Hamilton or Teays it might feel like it in rush hour traffic."

AT THE RESERVATION
1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

Chief02 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:09 pm
noreply66 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:52 am I mostly agree. A lot depends on Teays Valley and Zanesville with the travel time. Don't think they can get both of these on board.
I agree. Honestly, I think Zanesville is an odd duck in this equation. I still have a sour taste from when they joined the SEOAL and the dominos that started falling afterwards.
I would tell Da'ville sorry but no thanks. They seem to have a history of not sticking around in a league. At least in resent years.

AT THE RESERVATION
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

If it was between TV and Zanesville I would pull for TV.
Out of the 10 schools that were in the old SEOAL when it started to fall apart it sort of looks like everyone but three were know to jump leagues.

Marietta left a league to join the SEOAL
Warren did the same
Athens left and came back
Zanesville left a league to come to the SEOAL
Ironton left and came back
Portsmouth has been in a few
Chillicothe also had been a few

Chief02
Varsity

Post by Chief02 »

I would certainly pull for TV over Zanesville as well. While not all schools are on US 33, most are within close proximity with the exception Zanesville. Unfortunately, I don’t think we have the liberty of choosing. The number of schools has already dwindled. You think a league of 6 is a sufficient start?

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

There is a good chance to get 6 schools that are close in size. Leaving 5 games where these schools could still play school they have played for a long time.

Chief02
Varsity

Post by Chief02 »

Well, now into March. Hopefully we should hear something soon. I can’t imagine this getting drug out into late spring.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Thought I heard somewhere schools have a certain date to let their conference know they will be leaving. Anyone have knowledge of it?

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

Most leagues require a full 2 years notice. So if a league formed this spring it would start league play 2020-21.

Chief02
Varsity

Post by Chief02 »

Now that the basketball team has finished their great season, my attention fully turns to the new league opportunity. Unfortunately, updates are not provided like the schedule of a basketball team. Therefore, it is much like my time in the Army.....hurry up and wait.

Is it football season yet?

CruiserChief95
Waterboy

Post by CruiserChief95 »

Groveport Madison still very much in the mix.
http://www.columbusmessenger.com/occ-re ... eague.html

GoBucks1047
JV Team

Post by GoBucks1047 »

CruiserChief95 wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:21 am Groveport Madison still very much in the mix.
http://www.columbusmessenger.com/occ-re ... eague.html
“He said eight schools are needed to form a new league.
‘Right now we are trying to figure out if we have eight strong schools,’ said Petros. ‘It is still a possibility. It is my guess that we will have a better idea by the end of March on whether it may happen.’”

If it were up to me, I’d say set up the league like this to get primarily D2 Schools, exception being Groveport Madison, ranging from 392-650 in football:

Canal Winchester
Groveport Madison
Licking Heights
Logan
New Albany (if not, then either Hamilton Township or Zanesville)
Teays Valley
Watkins Memorial
Whitehall-Yearling

I think because Newark and Lancaster voted yes, it appears they are satisfied for now, and Reynoldsburg is way too large to be involved, but with the larger schools no long involved, it could motivate Whitehall-Yearling, who has scheduled up non-conference, to join as well as smaller schools like Hamilton Township, who I think scrimmages Canal Winchester and has played or plays Licking Heights, Groveport Madison, and Teays Valley since 2013. I think with New Albany voting no, they would at least consider the league. Geographically, you’d have 4 schools north or near I-70 and then 4 south of I-270. This would also in a way helps the MSL Buckeye and Ohio bring them down to 6 and 6 with Hamilton Township or Liberty Union to the MSL Ohio all-sports.

sandstorm23
Freshman Team

Post by sandstorm23 »

Newark would win this conference time and time again in basketball.

CruiserChief95
Waterboy

Post by CruiserChief95 »

You're close GoBucks1047. I would leave New Albany out and put Hamilton Township in. HT regularly plays GM, CW and TV so it just makes sense from a rivalry, size and distance perspective. New Albany is a haul bro, even from Groveport(where I live). I can't imagine fighting through traffic down 270 and the first part of 33 to get to Logan on a weeknight. And let's be honest, New Albany has very little in common with the other named schools from a socioeconomic perspective either.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Why are they saying they need 8 to start the league? Other leagues are started without 8. It would be great if the could start up with
Hamilton
Canal
Groveport
Licking Hts
Teays Valley
Whitehall
Watkins
Logan

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

If a new conference requires clawing a couple schools from a few stable leagues each... then it will never come to fruition.

CruiserChief95
Waterboy

Post by CruiserChief95 »

"Why are they saying they need 8 to start the league? Other leagues are started without 8."

It's most likely a minimum requirement by either the OHSAA, the Ohio BOE or both. I'm looking in to it.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

There is no such thing as a minimum amount of schools in a league. They want eight teams, but don’t need eight. But it’s likely that all bets are off if they can’t get to eight.

A conference that only has six teams is a poor trade-off for these schools who are already in eight-team leagues.

No one (in this picture) wants to leave their league to go form a six-team conference. You’d have to fill out one-half of a football schedule on your own and 12/22 of a basketball schedule out-of-league as well. And no, the OCC will likely not be an option for those two extra non-conference games for football given the fact it is already mandated that the OCC teams have to give first consideration to an OCC member for weeks 4 & 5.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

fcfan is correct on all points. Nothing wrong with 6 team league but it has its scheduling problem.

Have gun, will travel

Return to “Football”