Point Pleasant - TVC? OVC?

Kcin2791
Waterboy

Point Pleasant - TVC? OVC?

Post by Kcin2791 »

Heard a rumor that Point Pleasant applied and was voted down by a conference today. Anyone know which conference it was? The only West Virginia conferences that would be reasonable has in the last year or two voted against their admission. Could imagine them trying to get into the TVC or OVC but I wouldn't think either conference would want them. Ideas?

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: Point Pleasant - TVC? OVC?

Post by Orange and Brown »

TVC doesn't want them lol

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

I know nothing about a specific conference application for Point, but they are kind of in the same boat as Logan, Oh. No WV schools close by of similar size for conference affiliation. The AA Cardinal Conference in WV would be their best fit for size and competition, but it is spread from Charleston to Huntington and all of the way down to Williamson. Given the roads, that would be a lot of four hour bus rides. The TVC would be their best Ohio option with the OVC second. Looks like they are fighting an up hill battle.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
The Flash
Varsity

Post by The Flash »

OVC wouldn’t want them

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Its all road trips, I don't see any way possible that the OVC would want to add them

The Flash
Varsity

Post by The Flash »

The closest travel from Point Pleasant to an OVC school besides Gallia is to Fairland (51 minutes)

The Flash
Varsity

Post by The Flash »

Why doesn’t a WV conference want them?

dragonalum
Riding the Bench

Post by dragonalum »

The Flash wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:57 pm Why doesn’t a WV conference want them?
The school I teach at is a member of the Cardinal Conference. When Point was originally a AA School the first time, they were in the Cardinal. It is my understanding that when they moved up to AAA and left the Cardinal, they weren’t exactly “good sports” about it. So when they dropped back down, and they were up for vote as a new member, several of the principals who were members when they left voted to not let them back in.
Not sure how much of that is fact and how much is water cooler chat, but it doesn’t seem too far out of the realm of possibility.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Part of that is true. But what was a bigger problem was when the state of west virginia went from basically having the same number of teams in all 3 divisions to a cutoff for triple A membership that sounds reasonable. That swelled the ranks of AA teams. Because basically point new they were going to be AA they were going to be accepted by Cardinal. Then state changed rules and made like 6 other teams eligible in AA for that conference Point being so far away made no sense and were voted down. They are am=lmost as big as jackson would not be a fit for OVC. And pretty big for TVC.

dragonalum
Riding the Bench

Post by dragonalum »

svac83 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:02 pm But what was a bigger problem was when the state of west virginia went from basically having the same number of teams in all 3 divisions to a cutoff for triple A membership that sounds reasonable. That swelled the ranks of AA teams.
It did more than that. When they changed the cutoff for AAA, they also changed the cutoff between A-AA in an effort to make balanced divisions, but it just made things more lopsided.

These are the current classifications, enrollment, and how many schools are in each division:
AAA - 933+ - 29 schools
AA - 460-932 - 44 schools
A - 0-459 - 54 schools

Now, granted, PawPaw, Harmon, Pickens, and Union (which are all PreK-12 schools) and the WV School for the Blind and WV School for the Deaf don't field teams in every sport. So that Class A is a little bloated at the bottom. However, Principals, ADs, coaches, etc. have tried for several years to get the WVSSAC to expand to a A, AA, AAA, AAAA format where the top division would be all schools with 1,000+ students (approx. 26 schools) then balancing A-AAA a little more. Unfortunately, the past two times it's been brought up the SSAC waffles and says "well, the legislature would have to approve it, and they won't so..." rather than trying to do something proactive about it.

Gobigblacks
JV Team

Post by Gobigblacks »

dragonalum wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:56 pm
The Flash wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:57 pm Why doesn’t a WV conference want them?
The school I teach at is a member of the Cardinal Conference. When Point was originally a AA School the first time, they were in the Cardinal. It is my understanding that when they moved up to AAA and left the Cardinal, they weren’t exactly “good sports” about it. So when they dropped back down, and they were up for vote as a new member, several of the principals who were members when they left voted to not let them back in.
Not sure how much of that is fact and how much is water cooler chat, but it doesn’t seem too far out of the realm of possibility.
Why would we be bad sports about leaving a conference that we had no choice in leaving?

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

West Virgina just needs to dump the system they have and use something that makes sense.....
Maybe they should explore using the Harbin points system Ohio uses.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Orange and Brown wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:27 pm West Virgina just needs to dump the system they have and use something that makes sense.....
Maybe they should explore using the Harbin points system Ohio uses.
Yes they do. Ground Buck will be happy. Athens plays D2 Parkersburg South again

Baldeagle
Varsity

Post by Baldeagle »

Seems to me that if the TVC took Athens they shouldnt be scared to take Point. Unless they are indeed.....scared

Billb
Waterboy

Post by Billb »

Is there a team in the TVC or OVC that Point wouldn’t pound into the dirt? I think that probably answerers the question as to why neither conference would allow them in. Same answer for the Cardinal conference in WV.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Billb wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:37 pm Is there a team in the TVC or OVC that Point wouldn’t pound into the dirt? I think that probably answerers the question as to why neither conference would allow them in. Same answer for the Cardinal conference in WV.
Well wayne is or was in the conference and they had point pleasant number on a fairly consistent basis. Also point is coming sort of to a end of this huge talent pool that they have been experiencing the last 10 years or so.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Point people should remember or someone tell them that Athens is in the TVC because of travel time in the SEOAL. The TVC is mostly a close bunch of schools. TVC doesn't want to travel to Point and they don't need to.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Billb
Waterboy

Post by Billb »

svac83 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:09 pm
Billb wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:37 pm Is there a team in the TVC or OVC that Point wouldn’t pound into the dirt? I think that probably answerers the question as to why neither conference would allow them in. Same answer for the Cardinal conference in WV.
Well wayne is or was in the conference and they had point pleasant number on a fairly consistent basis. Also point is coming sort of to a end of this huge talent pool that they have been experiencing the last 10 years or so.
Wayne is nothing, now. Point wouldn’t have a single game in the Cardinal Conference that was closer than 20 points.

Gobigblacks
JV Team

Post by Gobigblacks »

noreply66 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:18 pm Point people should remember or someone tell them that Athens is in the TVC because of travel time in the SEOAL. The TVC is mostly a close bunch of schools. TVC doesn't want to travel to Point and they don't need to.
I am still trying to figure out why this thread was started.
I was told 'not true'.

Sharon Peters
Waterboy

Post by Sharon Peters »

Because people get bored and make up shite to talk about. I knew this was crap when I read it.

Return to “Football”