Re: Middletown Madison vs. Wheelersburg DV State Semi-Final

Post by art_vandelay »

Dmp_404040 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:16 am
BurgGrad6 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:01 am
Dmp_404040 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:42 pm

Not even close
Who’s the best then???
2000 PHS and 2001 teams.
Seen both play and give the edge to Burg bc of Salyers and Holden. PHS' running backs and OL were better. But Holden is the most dynamic of all those players listed.

How the hell that PHS didn't win State is beyond me. I had a local coach tell me before the playoffs in 2000 that PHS should win State, but won't win State. He ended up being right, unfortunately.*

Otto
JV Team

Post by Otto »

2000 PHS team was extemely talented, one of the best running offenses i've seen. But the PHS passing game was very weak. If a team could somewhat contain the run, get ahead and force PHS to come from behind, it was gonna be very hard for them to win. Which eventually happened against Van Wert.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Dmp_404040 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:10 am
bleed_blue wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:51 am
Dmp_404040 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:38 am
Not 1 player on that team could run with JoJo Parker, Jeremy Hamrick, Tony Malone, Bradley Parker, Zack Harris. To much speed and big line. That's just to name a few.
Those teams were extremely talented teams and in my opinion that 2000 team shoulda walked away with a state title but unfortunately the way society as a whole is success will forever be based on results and right now Wheelersburg has made it as far as that 2000 team and everyone forgets about those that come up short. Just as I’m sure if Wheelersburg gets beat they too will fade into oblivion just as many others have.
Bottom line is the division difference division 3 compared to wheersburg being in a smaller division. We are talking about best team not how far the teams went. The 2000 team fell short, but that doesn't take away how good the team was. I have seen over and over again in the state tournament not always does the best team win.
What year did burg almost upset the Trojans in early 2000’s? Burg was a .500 team and almost pulled off a huge upset.

The Nature Boy
JV Team

Post by The Nature Boy »

If the West Side hadn't ran into that crazy Kenton team, they would've been state Champs in 2002. That West team was very good. They are the last team from Scioto County to make it to the football finals. The Burg is a complete team. Of course, you can run into a team that is better at what you do but it hasn't happened yet. Maybe Burg might get a shot at Eastwood and #mop the shop will come back and tell us we are hot butter soft. You got to admit that is hilarious. GO BURG!

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

art_vandelay wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:52 am
Dmp_404040 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:16 am
BurgGrad6 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:01 am
Who’s the best then???
2000 PHS and 2001 teams.
Seen both play and give the edge to Burg bc of Salyers and Holden. PHS' running backs and OL were better. But Holden is the most dynamic of all those players listed.

How the hell that PHS didn't win State is beyond me. I had a local coach tell me before the playoffs in 2000 that PHS should win State, but won't win State. He ended up being right, unfortunately.*
I’ll tell you why because defense wins championships. I saw one game of 2000 phs and they dominated offensively against a good minford team but they also gave up yards in that game. That’s why I feel Burg is state finals bound.

bleed_blue
Varsity

Post by bleed_blue »

fbnut wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:22 am

Those teams were extremely talented teams and in my opinion that 2000 team shoulda walked away with a state title but unfortunately the way society as a whole is success will forever be based on results and right now Wheelersburg has made it as far as that 2000 team and everyone forgets about those that come up short. Just as I’m sure if Wheelersburg gets beat they too will fade into oblivion just as many others have.
Bottom line is the division difference division 3 compared to wheersburg being in a smaller division. We are talking about best team not how far the teams went. The 2000 team fell short, but that doesn't take away how good the team was. I have seen over and over again in the state tournament not always does the best team win.
What year did burg almost upset the Trojans in early 2000’s? Burg was a .500 team and almost pulled off a huge upset.
2001 Portsmouth beat Wheelersburg 21-19

victor creed
Varsity

Post by victor creed »

I Agree the 2001 Portsmouth team was a great team, IMO. The 2nd best that Portsmouth ever had. With only the 2000 team being better. The 2nd round game against ironton was what a lot of people refer to as the coin toss game. Rather than both teams travel to a "neutral" site that would be father away probably for both teams at that time. The state allowed a coin flip with the winner playing a 2nd round home game ironton won the coin flip and lost the game. At ironton. Then Portsmouth got upset by licking valley. The next round. I remember that ironton team very well. They were undefeated and had beaten Portsmouth earlier in the season. But. Jo Jo Parker played one of the greatest games. Of his career that night and ironton could not stop him. I have always felt like if ironton had won that game they would have played in another state championship

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

bleed_blue wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:36 am

2001 Portsmouth beat Wheelersburg 21-19

Burg actually tied that 2001 game with Ptown but got screwed on the 2 point conversion try. The ball was over the goal line and they didn't get the call. Didn't guarantee they would win in OT but they did hang with them so no way is that Ptown team the 2nd best team from around here. Burg struggled all year but still went 5-5 and made the playoffs. Andrew Burleson was the QB that year.

The best team around here still has to be the 89 Burg team that went undefeated and won the state. Until some other team betters that they are tops. This years Burg team can eclipse that. They can go 15-0 and win state.

Ptown lost the state title in 2000 because they ran into a team that could slow down the run game. Didn't Ptown have the ball 1st and goal from the 9 yard line in the last minute of the game and they threw 4 straight passes and they had only attempted one pass during the playoffs up until that time? I watched all of the games up until the state semi-final game and they pretty much dominated up until then. I think the one pass they had tried actually was off of a fake punt by the 2nd string QB.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

The quality of football is not what it was in the 90's and early 2000's. D5 has been watered down with the absence of the private schools and the MAC due to competitive balance.

Wheelersburg has a very good team, but some of the teams mentioned here would beat them. They didn't win the State because it was much harder. Some of the first round games they had were better competiton than anyone Wheelersburg has played all season. Draw means alot. One D5/D6 school can beat Coldwater consistently and that's Marion Local. Coldwater gets bumped down for Competitive balance and they can't win their Region. Stay in D5 and they play for the title.

2000 through 2002 Portsmouth
2002 Portsmouth West
1990 through 1993 & 1999 through 2001 Ironton

Actually the team Wheelersburg had two years ago is just as good as this one. They just ran into Coldwater.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Westfan wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:08 am The quality of football is not what it was in the 90's and early 2000's. D5 has been watered down with the absence of the private schools and the MAC due to competitive balance.

Wheelersburg has a very good team, but some of the teams mentioned here would beat them. They didn't win the State because it was much harder. Some of the first round games they had were better competiton than anyone Wheelersburg has played all season. Draw means alot. One D5/D6 school can beat Coldwater consistently and that's Marion Local. Coldwater gets bumped down for Competitive balance and they can't win their Region. Stay in D5 and they play for the title.

2002 Portsmouth West

Actually the team Wheelersburg had two years ago is just as good as this one. They just ran into Coldwater.
Didn’t burg beat ironton in 99?

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

Isnt this a Burg v/s Madison thread? SMDH?

Burg grad 85
scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

fbnut wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:15 am
Westfan wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:08 am The quality of football is not what it was in the 90's and early 2000's. D5 has been watered down with the absence of the private schools and the MAC due to competitive balance.

2002 Portsmouth West

Didn’t burg beat ironton in 99?
IMO Burg would beat Coldwater this year but i do think Coldwater would have won region 20 this year and Burg would have beat them in the semi's but thats my opinion and this Burg team has way more depth than in past years IMO thats the difference of this team and I think Burg wins friday 35 to 14 GO BURG!

Burg grad 85
JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

2002 Portsmouth West

In my oppinion this years D is better than the 15 team and has way more weapons on offense, not sure I’ve seen a local team with the overall depth and the number of weapons on offense

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

fbnut wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:15 am Didn’t burg beat ironton in 99?
Not sure. Ironton lost on a missed 4th down. Ironton had the running back that played safety at Michigan state. Ironton under Lutz was known to improve greatly throughout the season.

When football went "spread" dominate and started scoring more points people took it as they are better. But that's necessarily the case. Locally 20 years ago sophomores rarely played and freshmen didn't dress. Now freshmen are playing alot.

seasick80
All State

Post by seasick80 »

2002, Lewis first yr? Dunham was speedster and was catching bombs thrown by weaver. Burg was 5-5 that yr. when west went to state by beating Ptown at ironton mud bowl

Wburgfan
Waterboy

Post by Wburgfan »

seasick80 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:32 am

2002, Lewis first yr? Dunham was speedster and was catching bombs thrown by weaver. Burg was 5-5 that yr. when west went to state by beating Ptown at ironton mud bowl
It was the 2001 year mentioned above.

PirateBB
Freshman Team

Post by PirateBB »

scott1297 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:23 am Isnt this a Burg v/s Madison thread? SMDH?
I thought it was too. That's what the title of the thread shows.

Burg hasn't even played this game, and has not even played the state game, and people are already saying they aren't as good a team as "insert team here."

From the beginning of this year every week people here on SEOPS saying Burg can't do this/can't do that. Burg can't beat teams north of 70. Burg can't win the playoff games....Blah, blah, blah

Burg will win this week and next. Then people are going to say, well Coldwater wasn't in the division, all the good teams left...blah, blah, blah

Burg- Take care of business Friday night and then next Friday night. Then you'll be 15-0, State Champions, and people here on SEOPS can say yeah, they were 15-0 and won the State, but Blah, blah, blah

GO BURG!

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

PirateBB wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:44 am
scott1297 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:23 am Isnt this a Burg v/s Madison thread? SMDH?

Burg hasn't even played this game, and has not even played the state game, and people are already saying they aren't as good a team as "insert team here."

From the beginning of this year every week people here on SEOPS saying Burg can't do this/can't do that. Burg can't beat teams north of 70. Burg can't win the playoff games....Blah, blah, blah

Burg will win this week and next. Then people are going to say, well Coldwater wasn't in the division, all the good teams left...blah, blah, blah

Burg- Take care of business Friday night and then next Friday night. Then you'll be 15-0, State Champions, and people here on SEOPS can say yeah, they were 15-0 and won the State, but Blah, blah, blah

GO BURG!
Haha I have said this all year... it doesn’t matter who burg beats, it will never be good enough.. and to the older guys like myself saying that teams they played on were better than this burg team.. y’all are crazy... truth is, is has beens would in reality be 3rd stringers on this burg team! Haha GO BURG take care of business this week!!

Otto
JV Team

Post by Otto »

PirateBB wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:44 am

GO BURG!
Truth. If Burg does win it all people will definitely say it was because Coldwater wasn't in the division. Even though IMO, Burg would beat Coldwater this year, they are down and probably have their weakest team in the past 10 years.

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

Westfan wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:30 am
fbnut wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:15 am Didn’t burg beat ironton in 99?
Not sure. Ironton lost on a missed 4th down. Ironton had the running back that played safety at Michigan state. Ironton under Lutz was known to improve greatly throughout the season.

When football went "spread" dominate and started scoring more points people took it as they are better. But that's necessarily the case. Locally 20 years ago sophomores rarely played and freshmen didn't dress. Now freshmen are playing alot.
the Game has evolved. Teams 20 years ago ran the ball 50 times a game. Teams then wouldn’t know what to do if a team like this years burg team stepped on the field! Haha this burg team would blow the doors off! Athletes have gotten so much more diverse than their daddy’s that played 20 years ago. Haha admit it fellas. You little boy is better than you were.

Return to “Football”