State Semi Finals: Wheelersburg 15 Middletown Madison 10

wobycat
SEOPS

Re: Middletown Madison vs. Wheelersburg DV State Semi-Final

Post by wobycat »

trojandave wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:17 pm No question that this Wheelersburg team is one of the best in WHS history, but I seriously question as to it being the best every to come out of Scioto County. There have been a lot of responses about the 2000 and 2001 PHS teams, but the 1954 Trojans went undefeated, playing in the Greater Ohio League (Middletown, Hamilton, Springfield, Lima), and that PHS team featured Leroy Carr (Ohio State), Curt Gentry (Chicago Bears), Preston Smith, and Leo Brown. The schedule that the Trojans played was so tough that in many years PHS finished in bottom half of the league even with good teams.

Wheelersburg has a GREAT PROGRAM and OUTSTANDING football team, but to say that this is the best team ever to come out of Scioto County is a misguided statement. They could in no way compete with the Greater Ohio League teams or even the non-conference teams that Portsmouth played (Canton McKinley, Upper Arlington, Newark, Zanesville, and Cincinnati Elder), to name a few. To be fair, Wheelersburg is a much smaller school than the Portsmouth HS of the 1950's and 1960's, and that in itself makes a huge difference in comparing these teams.

The Portsmouth Trojans back then were playing in a different world, far removed from the local scheduling that existed in the rest of Scioto County and to an extent still exists today.

There is no debate, though, that the Wheelersburg football program is the current model for sustained success that no one else in the entire SE district is able to duplicate.
Well let’s not get carried away here. Portsmouth back then would not be considered a county team as they were far bigger enrollment wise. As far current, the 2000 team was better offensively but would have to give the nod to burg defensively. Either way both teams are very talented and I would throw the west team in there as well but I would have them slightly behind these two. If burg wins state then they accomplished more than PHS 2000 but arguments could be made for both easily.

#ReachHigher
Riding the Bench

Post by #ReachHigher »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:34 pm
#ReachHigher wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:12 pm
Jolly P(irate) wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:01 pm
Or just run a 12 yard dig from the slot and leave Holden 1 on 1 on the outside.

One thing I haven’t seen since probably Watterson, is that short crossing route. Where has that been?
I’m not sure. Maybe keeping a little surprise in their pocket? It worked well against Watterson. They had no answer for it
Yea. That’s what I thought. But they never tried it against Academy when we were down. So idk if they are. Maybe it’s just been lost. Could be that simple. 😂
Very true. That would have definitely been the time to pull the tricks out of the bag being down 13-0

#ReachHigher
Riding the Bench

Post by #ReachHigher »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:31 pm
Burg_Grad_77 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:37 pm
Da_Burg wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:27 am In all seriousness, We are undefeated against Mohawks!
I see it staying that way.

We need 14 Svt back or something, it’s Monday and we only have 5 pages?
I know. I kind of miss her insane stats and unbeatable team posts. Now I hear she is running her mouth about us on another site. lol
Yea. But she’s just spewing right now. She got mad about the video. Lmao.
If you’re referring to the video of the Johnnies standing right on the 50, tell her that’s one of the few times her Johnnies got on our side of the field the whole game lol

BuckeyeBond
Riding the Bench

Post by BuckeyeBond »

I think Burg wins this game 38-7. Burg's D is unreal this season & defense wins championships. I've been super impressed with the linebackers Carmichael & super impressed with the Donini boy #30. That kid doesn't get near the recognition he deserves. Anyways GO BURG!!!
Another thing that surprises me is that most of theBurg fan base is excited about the game being in Chillicothe. I mean I'll take it, but parking is absolutely dreadful. I think the stadium is just OK, not horrible not great. I do like the drive from Scioto County though & the scoreboard is nice. But other than that nothing stands out. We have way nicer stadiums in the SOC. I wish Hillsboro would have had a turf field. I think it would be a better overall venue for this game. GO BURG!!!!

juanmorales
JV Team

Post by juanmorales »

trojandave wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:17 pm No question that this Wheelersburg team is one of the best in WHS history, but I seriously question as to it being the best every to come out of Scioto County. There have been a lot of responses about the 2000 and 2001 PHS teams, but the 1954 Trojans went undefeated, playing in the Greater Ohio League (Middletown, Hamilton, Springfield, Lima), and that PHS team featured Leroy Carr (Ohio State), Curt Gentry (Chicago Bears), Preston Smith, and Leo Brown. The schedule that the Trojans played was so tough that in many years PHS finished in bottom half of the league even with good teams.

Wheelersburg has a GREAT PROGRAM and OUTSTANDING football team, but to say that this is the best team ever to come out of Scioto County is a misguided statement. They could in no way compete with the Greater Ohio League teams or even the non-conference teams that Portsmouth played (Canton McKinley, Upper Arlington, Newark, Zanesville, and Cincinnati Elder), to name a few. To be fair, Wheelersburg is a much smaller school than the Portsmouth HS of the 1950's and 1960's, and that in itself makes a huge difference in comparing these teams.

The Portsmouth Trojans back then were playing in a different world, far removed from the local scheduling that existed in the rest of Scioto County and to an extent still exists today.

There is no debate, though, that the Wheelersburg football program is the current model for sustained success that no one else in the entire SE district is able to duplicate.
At the end of the day...what does it matter who is better? Just enjoy the run. I’m sure Burg’s players aren’t worried about this. Just worry about the next game

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

I get ya old timer. I bet half the guys on this thread weren’t even born yet when that happened. I’ll give you the 2000&2001 Ptown. I just watched the game against Dayton CJ last night on YouTube. Lol. Weird how it came up this morning. Defensively no, offensively maybe.

Anyways. This should discussion needs to happen somewhere else. I don’t really care.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

BuckeyeBond wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:31 pm I think Burg wins this game 38-7. Burg's D is unreal this season & defense wins championships. I've been super impressed with the linebackers Carmichael & super impressed with the Donini boy #30. That kid doesn't get near the recognition he deserves. Anyways GO BURG!!!
Another thing that surprises me is that most of theBurg fan base is excited about the game being in Chillicothe. I mean I'll take it, but parking is absolutely dreadful. I think the stadium is just OK, not horrible not great. I do like the drive from Scioto County though & the scoreboard is nice. But other than that nothing stands out. We have way nicer stadiums in the SOC. I wish Hillsboro would have had a turf field. I think it would be a better overall venue for this game. GO BURG!!!!

There really isn’t anywhere else to play this game.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

This isn't the time to compare this team with the great teams of the past. I understand why people do it but wait until the seasons over or start another thread.

Now with that being said: Trojandave is exempt to my statements as he has earned more than enough cred to do whatever he wants and he is never malicious. As for the rest of you knuckleheads.... wait until this team has done something.

Middletown Madison is better than we are giving them credit I fear. They are playing with house money and are playing free and easy. It shows as they have progressed throughout the playoffs. They were down 10-7 with 2:45 to go after Anna QB through up a prayer that was answered for the go ahead TD from about midfield. They went the length of the field vs a MAC tested defense and scored with about a minute on the clock. Not bad for a Wing T offense. They beat CHCA the week after that 35-27 and that was the most points CHCA had given up all year. (Also gave 35 to D4 Fenwick Week 1).

Then they destroyed West Jefferson 42-7. This game started slowly before Madison opened up a 17-0 lead right before half. West Jefferson returned a kick just before half to make the score 17-7 and you would think they could ride that momentum in the third quarter but Madison scored to make it 24-7 and then scored on a pick 6 from practically 100 yards out to truly seal the win.

So every week they have played a quality opponent and every week played better.

Now, from a positive standpoint perhaps Anna was the best of the three and West Jefferson was the worst.... but either way Madison is battle tested and won't be intimidated. I think the first quarter will be very important --- Burg gets out quick and this could turn into the 35-7 type game. But if this is even or sees Madison with a lead after 1 then this game could be very tight.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

LucasDavenport wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:13 pm This isn't the time to compare this team with the great teams of the past. I understand why people do it but wait until the seasons over or start another thread.

Now with that being said: Trojandave is exempt to my statements as he has earned more than enough cred to do whatever he wants and he is never malicious. As for the rest of you knuckleheads.... wait until this team has done something.

Middletown Madison is better than we are giving them credit I fear. They are playing with house money and are playing free and easy. It shows as they have progressed throughout the playoffs. They were down 10-7 with 2:45 to go after Anna QB through up a prayer that was answered for the go ahead TD from about midfield. They went the length of the field vs a MAC tested defense and scored with about a minute on the clock. Not bad for a Wing T offense. They beat CHCA the week after that 35-27 and that was the most points CHCA had given up all year. (Also gave 35 to D4 Fenwick Week 1).

Then they destroyed West Jefferson 42-7. This game started slowly before Madison opened up a 17-0 lead right before half. West Jefferson returned a kick just before half to make the score 17-7 and you would think they could ride that momentum in the third quarter but Madison scored to make it 24-7 and then scored on a pick 6 from practically 100 yards out to truly seal the win.

So every week they have played a quality opponent and every week played better.

Now, from a positive standpoint perhaps Anna was the best of the three and West Jefferson was the worst.... but either way Madison is battle tested and won't be intimidated. I think the first quarter will be very important --- Burg gets out quick and this could turn into the 35-7 type game. But if this is even or sees Madison with a lead after 1 then this game could be very tight.
You dont get to this game without talent. Madison is good. To be the best you have to....well you know. Burg will play hard.

The Nature Boy
JV Team

Post by The Nature Boy »

8-) Burg won't be intimidated and won't back down. Whoever is in front of them is going to know they are in for a fight. Burg is battle tested. Look at the gauntlet they came through to get to this point. There is a difference when you are the Burg. You get every teams best shot week in and week out. It gets you ready for games like this. Madison is a great story. How many years has Madison had Football? How many years has the Burg played Football? It doesn't matter about all this and that. What matters is Friday night. Go Burg!

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

I really wish sometimes burg fans would just quit making all the running clock predictions. I’m not talking specifically about this game but the entire season. It just doesn’t look good. Burg will show up, play hard and the best team on Friday night will be playing in Canton for a State Championship. Good luck GO BURG

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

fbnut wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:47 am I really wish sometimes burg fans would just quit making all the running clock predictions. I’m not talking specifically about this game but the entire season. It just doesn’t look good. Burg will show up, play hard and the best team on Friday night will be playing in Canton for a State Championship. Good luck GO BURG
Amen. Most of the people around southern Ohio will stand behind the local teams but really get rubbed the wrong way when some people from Burg pound their chests with these running clock predictions.

You have a good football program. We get that. Good luck.

Burg4
JV Team

Post by Burg4 »

These last 2 games will be the hardest games of the year. That's why these teams are still here.

If you take Fridays game lightly, and assume domination and that you'll have a running clock, you'll be watching the game next week on TV.

GO BURG!

TIGER#27
JV Team

Post by TIGER#27 »

I'm going with Wheelersburg to win 35-17 then win the state, and I'm going with NY to win 27-24 and win the State next game.
So then that will mean 2 of Waverly's losses will be against State Champs this year and the other 2 losses were still to undefeated teams at the time and that all 4 teams they lost to made the playoffs and won at least 1 game in the playoffs.
With that being said GO BUCKS AND PIRATES!!!!!

Attitude, Effort and Hustle
You control that.
Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

TIGER#27 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:12 am I'm going with Wheelersburg to win 35-17 then win the state, and I'm going with NY to win 27-24 and win the State next game.
So then that will mean 2 of Waverly's losses will be against State Champs this year and the other 2 losses were still to undefeated teams at the time and that all 4 teams they lost to made the playoffs and won at least 1 game in the playoffs.
Lol. My dude.

TIGER#27
JV Team

Post by TIGER#27 »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:19 am
TIGER#27 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:12 am I'm going with Wheelersburg to win 35-17 then win the state, and I'm going with NY to win 27-24 and win the State next game.
Lol. My dude.
Sorry I won't be there to cheer on the Pirates this Friday, but I will be there for the state game and cheer them on.

Attitude, Effort and Hustle
You control that.
BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

Bleeding Red wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:04 am
fbnut wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:47 am I really wish sometimes burg fans would just quit making all the running clock predictions. I’m not talking specifically about this game but the entire season. It just doesn’t look good. Burg will show up, play hard and the best team on Friday night will be playing in Canton for a State Championship. Good luck GO BURG
Amen. Most of the people around southern Ohio will stand behind the local teams but really get rubbed the wrong way when some people from Burg pound their chests with these running clock predictions.

So if they predict a 30+ point victory but don’t mention the “running clock” does that make it ok? It’s no different than making any other predictions... the running clock just hurts peoples feelings... it’s like a mercy rule in baseball.. burg has had 11 of 13 running clocks this season. So predicting another isn’t crazy... I personally don’t think this week will be a running clock but I also don’t think it will be close...

bleed_blue
Varsity

Post by bleed_blue »

Who cares if Wheelersburg fans say they they’re going to win by 1 or 100. As stated already they’ve had a running clock 11 out of 13 games so it’s not like they are making outlandish comments. What people say on here or elsewhere has absolutely no bearing on the outcome of any game. Its just people stating their opinion and talking a little trash as all fan bases do in all sports it’s part of the game. If Wheelersburg fans stating their team is going to beat another team by 30+ bothers another team’s fanbase that much then they don’t need their support. Odds are those people were never going to support the Pirates any how.

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

bleed_blue wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:45 am

Who cares if Wheelersburg fans say they they’re going to win by 1 or 100. As stated already they’ve had a running clock 11 out of 13 games so it’s not like they are making outlandish comments. What people say on here or elsewhere has absolutely no bearing on the outcome of any game. Its just people stating their opinion and talking a little trash as all fan bases do in all sports it’s part of the game. If Wheelersburg fans stating their team is going to beat another team by 30+ bothers another team’s fanbase that much then they don’t need their support. Odds are those people were never going to support the Pirates any how.
Wisdom beyond your years!!! :ugeek:

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

BurgGrad6 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:27 am

So if they predict a 30+ point victory but don’t mention the “running clock” does that make it ok? It’s no different than making any other predictions... the running clock just hurts peoples feelings... it’s like a mercy rule in baseball.. burg has had 11 of 13 running clocks this season. So predicting another isn’t crazy... I personally don’t think this week will be a running clock but I also don’t think it will be close...
No I would prefer something like “ if burg plays their game I think they will come out on top “. The 30 -40 -running clock predictions are kind of classless in my oppinion.

Return to “Football”