Have OHSAA's efforts with Competitive Balance worked?

Steely Dan
SEOP

Have OHSAA's efforts with Competitive Balance worked?

Post by Steely Dan »

NOTE: I have retitled this thread to get it the attention it deserves. After so much b*tching and complaining about private/catholic schools for years, the OHSAA finally took some measure to address all of the complaints. Over the years, this has been a very hot topic on this board.

Here's what I found this morning:

I just did a cursory review of the 28 semi-final teams, and I mean a quick review. That said, it looks like 24 of the 28 remaining teams are public schools :o :shock: :shock: . Someone else take a look and check my inventory, I may have missed one or two, however, this has to be the lowest total of private schools to make it this far in years. Too early to draw credible conclusions based on these results, but if this becomes the trend, perhaps the changes that OHSAA made to handling private schools in terms of divisional assignment are generating the desired effect. Just throwing it out there as something to ponder. :D
Last edited by Steely Dan on Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doing someone else's Dirty Work....
Otto
JV Team

Re: Composition of this year's State Semi-Finalist Teams

Post by Otto »

Steely Dan wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:58 am I just did a cursory review of the 28 semi-final teams, and I mean a quick review. That said, it looks like 24 of the 28 remaining teams are public schools :o :shock: :shock: . Someone else take a look and check my inventory, I may have missed one or two, however, this has to be the lowest total of private schools to make it this far in years. Too early to draw credible conclusions based on these results, but if this becomes the trend, perhaps the changes that OHSAA made to handling private schools in terms of divisional assignment are generating the desired effect. Just throwing it out there as something to ponder. :D
I think you're right. I counted Hoban, Akron SVSM, Toledo CC, and Norwalk St.Paul. Looks like Competitive Balance actually works!!

icanpickem
All Conference

Re: Composition of this year's State Semi-Finalist Teams

Post by icanpickem »

Only one private from D4 on down. (st paul)

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Have OHSAA's efforts with Competitive Balance worked?

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

How many open enrollment schools are left?

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:13 am How many open enrollment schools are left?
Almost every school in Ohio (the vast majority) practice open enrollment.

55buckeyes98
All Conference

Post by 55buckeyes98 »

Cb #s for Region 19:
1. Ready 50
2. Academy 41
3. Worthington Christian 25
4. Wheelersburg 25
5. Mumford 16
6. Ironton 15
7. West muskingum 11
8. Portsmouth West 10
All rest under 10

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I remember reading somewhere that 75% of the schools are,giving them a huge advantage over closed enrollment schools.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

I'd say it's a pipe dream that competitive balance worked . The most dominate division for Private schools is D-1 and none were changed there because of CB. Yet it's a year where public schools eliminated powers like Iggy, Eds, X,etc. None even made the semis much less played for or won a title. Check the list of D-1 Champs for the last dozen years.

Elsewhere many didn't qualify, not because of CB , but because their schedules where too tough. No Ursuline this year. No Newark Catholic. The ones still in are lethal. It's simply a year where they are down but not altered by CB.

Have gun, will travel
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

I think we should give it a few years and then look at it.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Orange and Brown wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:51 pm I think we should give it a few years and then look at it.
Agreed. Although, I'm sure after a couple of years that schools will adjust and it will be very similar to how it has always been.

55buckeyes98
All Conference

Post by 55buckeyes98 »

I feel that making it tougher on private schools and teams with high CB numbers means it's working, but not perfect. I think we will see numbers of private schools "decline" to try to make their numbers smaller in some way and that people will at least be able to see how many kids open enroll to public schools. Burg just beat us and we could look at the 25 CB number they have, but we don't really know what that means, they could all be band or soccer kids for all we know, they beat us end of story. There are some things about the formula that are not clear and it's not perfect, but it's a start.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

55buckeyes98 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:31 pm I feel that making it tougher on private schools and teams with high CB numbers means it's working, but not perfect. I think we will see numbers of private schools "decline" to try to make their numbers smaller in some way and that people will at least be able to see how many kids open enroll to public schools. Burg just beat us and we could look at the 25 CB number they have, but we don't really know what that means, they could all be band or soccer kids for all we know, they beat us end of story. There are some things about the formula that are not clear and it's not perfect, but it's a start.

No you know they are football players. Because only football players are added in to competitive balance for football

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

It will take more than 1 year to determine just how competitive balance actually works like it is supposed to........in the meantime, look at how Mentor made the Final 4 in D1.......they had to beat Lakewood St.Edward and Cleveland St.Ignatius in back to back weeks. Probably the toughest route to the semifinals of any school in any division.........a public school beating two private school powerhouses.

55buckeyes98
All Conference

Post by 55buckeyes98 »

svac83 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:25 pm
55buckeyes98 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:31 pm I feel that making it tougher on private schools and teams with high CB numbers means it's working, but not perfect. I think we will see numbers of private schools "decline" to try to make their numbers smaller in some way and that people will at least be able to see how many kids open enroll to public schools. Burg just beat us and we could look at the 25 CB number they have, but we don't really know what that means, they could all be band or soccer kids for all we know, they beat us end of story. There are some things about the formula that are not clear and it's not perfect, but it's a start.

No you know they are football players. Because only football players are added in to competitive balance for football
I don't know enough about how it works. I know Johnstown does not have 6 open enroll kids on their roster. At the time it was released it was two a senior WR / Special teams player and a freshman. The senior I think moved into Johnstown after the season started I believe.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

I really don’t care for competitive balance. It makes HS football too watered down.

On a side note, I heard Wheelersburg is shutting down open enrollment.

sapientia et veritas
Freshman Team

Post by sapientia et veritas »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:09 amI heard Wheelersburg is shutting down open enrollment.
Strictly for football reasons, I'm sure. Since every enrollment decision made at schools that win is decided entirely by its impact on football.

I heard that JD was having a discussion just last week with Mr Walker over at Portsmouth Notre Dame that they have to keep the numbers down to stay in D7 and that it would be better to close the school than to move up to D6. Or so all the ignorant and hateful anti-private folks would have us believe. The stuff that is spewed in these kinds of threads about how private schools operate is downright comical at times.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

sapientia et veritas wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:57 am
Jolly P(irate) wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:09 amI heard Wheelersburg is shutting down open enrollment.
Strictly for football reasons, I'm sure. Since every enrollment decision made at schools that win is decided entirely by its impact on football.

I heard that JD was having a discussion just last week with Mr Walker over at Portsmouth Notre Dame that they have to keep the numbers down to stay in D7 and that it would be better to close the school than to move up to D6. Or so all the ignorant and hateful anti-private folks would have us believe. The stuff that is spewed in these kinds of threads about how private schools operate is downright comical at times.
I’m sure you’re probably right in your first statement. Their CB # is 25. Not sure where they are exactly in terms on all around enrollment numbers. But I’m sure they are pretty close to D4.

I’m not sure ND has that problem. I don’t know if many people beating down the doors to get in. I have considered sending my oldest son there for reasons other than sports. But that’s not a topic for discussion in this forum. I personally have nothing against the private schools. And like I said above, I think CB waters down HS Football.

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

55buckeyes98 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:01 pm
svac83 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:25 pm

I don't know enough about how it works. I know Johnstown does not have 6 open enroll kids on their roster. At the time it was released it was two a senior WR / Special teams player and a freshman. The senior I think moved into Johnstown after the season started I believe.
Each open enrollment player on the roster is assigned a multiplier based on their Tier. Tier's are based on when the student enrolled in the school. So, a student that lives in the district with a parent/legal guardian is a Tier 0, which means they don't count toward a CB number. An open enrolled student that has attended since the 7th grade is Tier 1, which is a multiplier of 1, counts as 1 toward the CB number, and a student open enrolling after the 1st day of 7th grade is Tier 2, which is a multiplier of 2, counts as 2 toward the CB number. Overall, a Tier 2 would count as 3, as they are counted in the initial boys enrollment, then you add on the 2 for their multiplier for CB.

The multipliers are higher for sports with less divisions(all sports except football). Also, it changes a little when you have school districts with multiple high schools.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I have never been in favor of separating private and public schools. There will NEVER be a completely fair system in the world of competitive sports. The OHSAA has added a 7th division and competitive balance. That's better than doing absolutely nothing.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:09 am On a side note, I heard Wheelersburg is shutting down open enrollment.
They have been much more selective. They don’t take everyone.

Return to “Football”