2018 SVC Football Offseason Talk and Outlook

eagles73Taylor
SE

Re: 2018 SVC Football Offseason Talk and Outlook

Post by eagles73Taylor »

The Soc II is probably the strongest football league in the area, but, only having 5 teams makes it a non conference scheduling nightmare!

I am not bashing anyone, just pointing out that the Svc knows it isn’t a football juggernaut, but looks at the entire body of work in both boys and girls sports, and can say why change to try and make football better? If a team leaves a conference, nothing stopping them leaving yours!

greygoose
SEOPS

Re: 2018 SVC

Post by greygoose »

eagles73Taylor wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 3:08 pm
greygoose wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 2:27 pm
Omega wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 1:21 pm

As to the SVC, if it is not broken, do not fix it. The conference is the most stable in south central / south east Ohio. The biggest issue is competitive balance, as talent levels ebb and flow in small schools. Yet a usually mediocre football school, Southeastern, rose up and won the conference championship last season.
Yeah that'll happen in a conference such as SVC. A team that has a decent class come through plus finds the rest of the league down will pull off a conference championship. I mean the SVC as a whole last year was pretty mediocre at best. To try and lay claim that they are the most "stable" I'm guessing you're just meaning in terms of team movement. Because you're not referencing a quality conference in terms of building power programs. There's other conferences just as stable and are far more competitive than the SVC. Like you said if it isn't broke don't fix it. As long as everyone is happy with a team here and there making the playoffs then that's great. Just not how I view a quality league.
The Soc II, TVC, OVC, what conference is stable and dominant? The Soc II only has 5 teams, and besides Burg, teams talent fluctuates a lot. Spoke with an Soc coach recently and said finding week 4 and 5 games are a nightmare. Trimble has had a nice run and NY has as well, but with Athens on the other side that conference is lopsided with its 2 divisions. No one in the OVC has been real good lately, Portsmouth and Ironton has history, but nothing recently. The FAC will dissolve in a few short years, Chillicothe will be running around looking for someone else to join.

The SVC isn’t a strong football conference, but it has pairity, a bunch of different teams have won league titles, and a couple have had playoff runs, PV and Westfall. As for other sports, the SVC is very competitive in boys and girls sports, so why break apart a leag7e that hasn’t changed since 1985?
When did dominate get said?? It didn't, you speaking to a coach from the SOC and saying week 4 and 5 are nightmares to try and schedule isn't earth shattering news. Everyone has known that for quite sometime now, if you read my earlier post that was quoted as well I said the SVC and SOC needed to make changes. SOC II in particular because over the years they've had the chance to accept teams and make that a 6-7 team conference but have turned them away. So the scheduling nightmare they have, which is why I said it, is on them. As far as the SVC goes I'm sorry but playing 7 conference games is a bit over the top. 2017 there was 5 teams below .500, so the 3 teams above .500 simply got 5 of their wins against below .500 teams that were in their conference, that doesn't get you ready for the playoffs or even show you what type of program you truly have or are building. FAC never mentioned them because I've long said it was a conference that won't last and it was just formed so to say it's stable is way off base. Portsmouth and Ironton haven't been in the OVC long enough to lay claim to anything really. Although I think Coal Grove made a good run last year given their history. At least that conference had half the teams at .500 or better and all but 1 with 4 wins. TVC, Athens and NY are on the same side, and Trimble has been consistent and let's not forget Waterford as well, 2 other teams from that side also went 7-3 with Southern and Miller. Considering the location of some of the SVC schools and the location of Mid-State Buckeye Conference I would lump them in there as far as very stable and more competitive. Not saying the SVC should separate it's current membership but I think they should look into adding a couple more teams, make it 2-5 team conferences. If they choose to play cross conference to fill dates that's on them. In order to become more competitive I just don't see playing 5 of your 7 conference games against sub .500 teams is going to get it done nor get them ready come week 11 should any of them make it. Also another reason why when a team makes it they're sitting at the #7/8 seed a lot of the time. I think not having a change since 1985 is exactly why, lol. Although who knows, in order to get a couple more teams to enter you have to have someone that wants to enter the SVC and that simply might not be the case. For a team like Westfall who is farthest out I think them leaving and mid-state league would be a good idea, in terms of a geographical stand point at least.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

eagles73Taylor wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 4:59 pm The Soc II is probably the strongest football league in the area, but, only having 5 teams makes it a non conference scheduling nightmare!

I am not bashing anyone, just pointing out that the Svc knows it isn’t a football juggernaut, but looks at the entire body of work in both boys and girls sports, and can say why change to try and make football better? If a team leaves a conference, nothing stopping them leaving yours!
You are exactly correct, with SOC II, that's why I would've loved for them to let Portsmouth in on any of the times they applied but they didn't. As far as size goes a Unioto would fit good but from a football standpoint I'm not sure how well they'd compete, especially given Waverly has handled them fairly easy and that was with Unioto having quality teams. They'd be another team I would think wouldn't be a bad fit overall though all sports considered. No no one is bashing any conference simply giving our opinions and that's all it is an opinion. We all know what that's good for, :lol:

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

greygoose wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 8:42 pm
eagles73Taylor wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 4:59 pm The Soc II is probably the strongest football league in the area, but, only having 5 teams makes it a non conference scheduling nightmare!

Always wondered why Portsmouth never joined the SOC II, and I've heard the things of Waverly wanting in the SVC and Southeastern has always prevented them from joining

You are exactly correct, with SOC II, that's why I would've loved for them to let Portsmouth in on any of the times they applied but they didn't. As far as size goes a Unioto would fit good but from a football standpoint I'm not sure how well they'd compete, especially given Waverly has handled them fairly easy and that was with Unioto having quality teams. They'd be another team I would think wouldn't be a bad fit overall though all sports considered. No no one is bashing any conference simply giving our opinions and that's all it is an opinion. We all know what that's good for, :lol:

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Portsmouth balked at the SOC years ago when they were in their prime, small city team, good industry and economy. Portsmouth turned its nose up at the SOC for years. Now, they have fallen on hard times, plants closed, businesses moving out, kids moving to county schools, and now they say, why not let us in? SOC member schools have a long memory! lol

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

eagles73Taylor wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:35 am

Portsmouth balked at the SOC years ago when they were in their prime, small city team, good industry and economy. Portsmouth turned its nose up at the SOC for years. Now, they have fallen on hard times, plants closed, businesses moving out, kids moving to county schools, and now they say, why not let us in? SOC member schools have a long memory! lol
LOL, that could very well be the case. Man though it would've at least solved 1 week for everyone and from a geographical standpoint just right. Now I do believe I seen an article though where Oak Hill is going SOCII in 2019. Western will be replacing them in SOC I.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

I don’t see how Western can maintain a varsity 5eam, they are such a small, poor, rural school. I wish them luck.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

eagles73Taylor wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:29 pm I don’t see how Western can maintain a varsity 5eam, they are such a small, poor, rural school. I wish them luck.
They've been working towards the varsity aspect of it. I know this past season they've had pee wee teams, junior high. I think in 2018 they are just getting ready to start getting into JV games, they're not playing any varsity games in 2018. At least not that I know of. Numbers seem good from what I've seen not great, but given size and how spaced out the area is it's not bad. We'll see how that translates for them going forward. I have to think it will be pretty hard for them to sustain varsity level play.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

greygoose wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:47 pm
eagles73Taylor wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:29 pm I don’t see how Western can maintain a varsity 5eam, they are such a small, poor, rural school. I wish them luck.
They've been working towards the varsity aspect of it. I know this past season they've had pee wee teams, junior high. I think in 2018 they are just getting ready to start getting into JV games, they're not playing any varsity games in 2018. At least not that I know of. Numbers seem good from what I've seen not great, but given size and how spaced out the area is it's not bad. We'll see how that translates for them going forward. I have to think it will be pretty hard for them to sustain varsity level play.

They could possibly get transfers from pike county school liek waverly and piketon, however that's a stretch and as goes with peebles

KRS
JV Team

Post by KRS »

I personally do not see expansion in The near future but if it did I would think Vinton County would get the first invite.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

KRS wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 11:19 pm I personally do not see expansion in The near future but if it did I would think Vinton County would get the first invite.

I don't personally see them fitting in well with the SVC or SOC II, distance would be the problem

Smokyhollowbandit
JV Team

Post by Smokyhollowbandit »

Kicker. wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 1:15 am
KRS wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 11:19 pm I personally do not see expansion in The near future but if it did I would think Vinton County would get the first invite.

I don't personally see them fitting in well with the SVC or SOC II, distance would be the problem
Distance wouldn’t be much of a problem for the Ross county schools, doubt Piketon and Westfall would want to take another long trip every other year, considering Piketon- Westfall is about an hour drive anyways

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

greygoose wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 8:30 pm
greygoose wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 2:27 pm

Yeah that'll happen in a conference such as SVC. A team that has a decent class come through plus finds the rest of the league down will pull off a conference championship. I mean the SVC as a whole last year was pretty mediocre at best. To try and lay claim that they are the most "stable" I'm guessing you're just meaning in terms of team movement. Because you're not referencing a quality conference in terms of building power programs. There's other conferences just as stable and are far more competitive than the SVC. Like you said if it isn't broke don't fix it. As long as everyone is happy with a team here and there making the playoffs then that's great. Just not how I view a quality league.
The Soc II, TVC, OVC, what conference is stable and dominant? The Soc II only has 5 teams, and besides Burg, teams talent fluctuates a lot. Spoke with an Soc coach recently and said finding week 4 and 5 games are a nightmare. Trimble has had a nice run and NY has as well, but with Athens on the other side that conference is lopsided with its 2 divisions. No one in the OVC has been real good lately, Portsmouth and Ironton has history, but nothing recently. The FAC will dissolve in a few short years, Chillicothe will be running around looking for someone else to join.

The SVC isn’t a strong football conference, but it has pairity, a bunch of different teams have won league titles, and a couple have had playoff runs, PV and Westfall. As for other sports, the SVC is very competitive in boys and girls sports, so why break apart a leag7e that hasn’t changed since 1985?
When did dominate get said?? It didn't, you speaking to a coach from the SOC and saying week 4 and 5 are nightmares to try and schedule isn't earth shattering news. Everyone has known that for quite sometime now, if you read my earlier post that was quoted as well I said the SVC and SOC needed to make changes. SOC II in particular because over the years they've had the chance to accept teams and make that a 6-7 team conference but have turned them away. So the scheduling nightmare they have, which is why I said it, is on them. As far as the SVC goes I'm sorry but playing 7 conference games is a bit over the top. 2017 there was 5 teams below .500, so the 3 teams above .500 simply got 5 of their wins against below .500 teams that were in their conference, that doesn't get you ready for the playoffs or even show you what type of program you truly have or are building. FAC never mentioned them because I've long said it was a conference that won't last and it was just formed so to say it's stable is way off base. Portsmouth and Ironton haven't been in the OVC long enough to lay claim to anything really. Although I think Coal Grove made a good run last year given their history. At least that conference had half the teams at .500 or better and all but 1 with 4 wins. TVC, Athens and NY are on the same side, and Trimble has been consistent and let's not forget Waterford as well, 2 other teams from that side also went 7-3 with Southern and Miller. Considering the location of some of the SVC schools and the location of Mid-State Buckeye Conference I would lump them in there as far as very stable and more competitive. Not saying the SVC should separate it's current membership but I think they should look into adding a couple more teams, make it 2-5 team conferences. If they choose to play cross conference to fill dates that's on them. In order to become more competitive I just don't see playing 5 of your 7 conference games against sub .500 teams is going to get it done nor get them ready come week 11 should any of them make it. Also another reason why when a team makes it they're sitting at the #7/8 seed a lot of the time. I think not having a change since 1985 is exactly why, lol. Although who knows, in order to get a couple more teams to enter you have to have someone that wants to enter the SVC and that simply might not be the case. For a team like Westfall who is farthest out I think them leaving and mid-state league would be a good idea, in terms of a geographical stand point at least.
I realize this isn't a great comparison, but the mighty MAC plays 9 league games. Last year they had 6 (I believe) teams make the playoffs, and 2 (I believe) were state champions.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

mikepike wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:17 pm
greygoose wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 8:30 pm

I realize this isn't a great comparison, but the mighty MAC plays 9 league games. Last year they had 6 (I believe) teams make the playoffs, and 2 (I believe) were state champions.
Should've stuck with your gut on that one, just a HORRIBLE comparison. However, they do not play 9 league games, they do play 8 though. 1st-2 weeks are open opponents. Outside of the big 3, Marion Local, Coldwater and Minster it's basically a just one of those teams winning the league. Toss in a Fort Recovery getting a win here or there in certain years. Just takes a win against one of the big ones in that conference to get you the points needed, plus teams in that conference are playing a higher grade opponent in either week 1 or 2 or even both compared to what the SVC is doing in 3 weeks. Get where you were going there but if that was you're best example I think it just further proves me point. Because MAC is on another level compared to just about every other conference in the state.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

When your traditional powers like Westfall and Paint Valley go 3-7, your conference is going to be down and that was the case with the SVC last year. I would look for PV to be better this season, but I still see the conference struggling. The depth of football right now in SE Ohio is not that strong. You have a couple of standout programs, a handful of good ones and then a lot of average, to subpar to teams that are really struggling.
Last edited by bman on Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Well, if you're banking on Westfall, 3-7, 1-9, 2-8, 3-7 and 5-5 last 5 years that tradition might be slipping away. As a hole I do believe the conference will find itself much like 2017 struggling from start to finish with the exception of 1-2 teams who will have an elevated record because of playing so many sub .500 teams.

Return to “Football”