Absence of private schools in finals

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Absence of private schools in finals

Post by dazed&confused »

Anyone else notice the almost total absence of private schools.in the HS finals?

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse
loganlocos
SEOP

Re: Absence of private schools in finals

Post by loganlocos »

dazed&confused wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:09 pm Anyone else notice the almost total absence of private schools.in the HS finals?
It's year one of competitive balance. Too small of a sample size to say that competitive balance is THE reason, but definitely an interesting development.

I DO think competitive balance will have an impact on some of the smaller private schools ability to compete.

I don't think it will have a long term impact on DIV and above. Heck - Hoban is one that bumped up and they just ran straight through DII like there was no change.

sapientia et veritas
Freshman Team

Post by sapientia et veritas »

For the finals, I'm of the opinion that it did make some difference in participants and winners.

D-I - no impact. The privates had a down year overall.

Winton Woods would be D-II champs against anybody but Hoban.

Remarkably, I think Hoban would likely have lost to Trotwood-Madison (who I think is the top team in the state overall) if they stayed in D-III.

D-IV might have been a private only final - any of Alter, Hartley, CJ, TCC, and SVSM could have made the finals this year. Steubenville probably would have beaten SVSM in semi-finals and may have beaten any of the other privates anyhow - presuming any of them could have made it past Massie.

D-V champion would have been either Coldwater or Kirtland without CBP. That would have been an exciting game as well.

D-VI MSML would have destroyed someone else instead.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

The big question is-Will private school fans(Parents) cry and whine for separate tournaments now?

Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

I do t think comp balance really hurts d2 or d1. Little surprising that no Catholics made final in 1 or 2. The Catholics that got hurt the worst were the d4s that bumped to 3. The smaller divisions played out as expected. Look for there to be Catholics back in the big division finals next year. I can think of quite a few public’s that got hurt as well. Unioto for one is very close to d3 with a high cb number. Size wise they should be a mid table d4. To me it doesn’t solve anything. It doesn’t do anything to Ed’s or iggy. They can’t go above d1. Idk time will tell but I look for the catholics to be back in the top divisions at least.

Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

Misspoke no d1 Hoban is Catholic sorry lol

star
Waterboy

Post by star »

Please make two different divisions Private/Public

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

I wouldn't get excited just yet. It was a down yet for the privates and I don't believe CB had anything to do with it. Steubenville closest game in the playoffs was a 19-14 win over Cardinal Mooney. Ursuline finished 2-8 because of a tough schedule. Warren JFK is down but loaded for next year. Down year for Newark Catholic, losing season at Watterson, Alter was off, etc. Thank Mentor for knocking off both Iggy and Eds. Cincinnati privates off talent wise. The list goes on. They all will be back.

Have gun, will travel

Return to “Football”